• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Cleveland St. at Valpo, Saturday 1/10/2015 7:05 p.m. CST

Started by Kyle321n, January 09, 2015, 01:46:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

We're a little over 24 hours until the next game and there's nothing up yet, so I'll take the opportunity to start one of these guys.

Gary Waters and crew come into town and I think we remember last time they were here.

Also I think I heard correctly when they said first 300 fans at the game get stocking hats? Seems like a cool giveaway but a very low amount.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

HC

I think CSU brings the pressure. Valpo throws it over their press. Peters takes it back outside and finds his stroke. Valpo by 8, 73-65.

valpo4life

I say...

Valpo 76
CSU 70

We have a very big height advantage in this game, thus we should dominate the boards and own the paint on both ends. I do predict CSU shoots pretty well from the outside but our inside game wears them down in the end.

covufan

We need to play another 'team' game.  CSU plays a little slower - I think to take the physical game that CSU usually likes to play we need to push the ball up the court when possible, then hit the open player for a three.  Don't let them think we're short a guard. 

Valpo  77
CSU    64

wh

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on January 09, 2015, 02:24:03 PM
I say...

Valpo 76
CSU 70

We have a very big height advantage in this game, thus we should dominate the boards and own the paint on both ends. I do predict CSU shoots pretty well from the outside but our inside game wears them down in the end.

Valpo may have a height advantage but after watching CSU against Oakland what the Vikings have are some very athletic leapers that out rebounded Oakland 31-29. The Crusaders out rebounded Oakland 44-38. I don't see either team, Valpo or CSU, out rebounding their opponent by that much.

Anton Grady plays that center position well for the Vikings. CSU plays a very physically tough defensive game and if you don't play tough against them they can beat you in a low scoring game.

They are very tough to score against. When Valpo drives the basket I don't think you'll see as many shots going in as against other HL teams such as UIC and YSU.

FWalum

The first 10:14 of the UIC game looked like it was going to be a shoot-out 22-26 . Neither team was playing any defense.  During that time UIC had 4 layups and 3  2-point shots within 12 feet.  Our height advantage didn't help us much early in this one and I don't think it helps a bunch against CSU.  We allowed a number of easy entry passes early in the UIC game.  This CSU game will be won on defense and the team that plays better defense wins this one. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

FROM THE VALPO ATHLETICS SITE:
15-3
- This season marks the fifth time in Crusader history - and the first time in the program's D-I era - that Valpo has been 15-3 or better through 18 games.
- Valpo last started 15-3 during the 1965-66 season under Hall of Fame coach Gene Bartow.
- The Crusaders also won at least 15 of their first 18 games in 1944-45 (15-3), 1930-31 (16-2) and 1923-24 (18-0).
- The 1996-97 squad was the only D-I Valpo team to go deeper into the season before suffering its third loss, winning 14 of its first 16 games.
- Valpo won seven games in a row earlier this year to set its longest winning streak under Bryce Drew [won six in a row twice in 2012-13].

That was a fantastic season.  Rakow (6'6), Cook (6'2), Eynon (6'3), Smith (5'9), and Jones (5'11) along with 6th man Vern Curtis (6'2).  They blew people out of the building and just ran past bigger opponents.  Kind of a mini-Gayle Goodrich UCLA team. I treasure the nights I spent cheering on this team. (They also hit their FT's!)

I hope this year's team creates a similar mystique.  Beating Cleveland State would certainly send it in that direction.  GO VALPO!

valpotx

Valpo 71
CSU 62

I predict that the 'Shil will go for a double-double, let's say 10 points, 11 rebounds, and 5 blocks.  More importantly, he will have 1 or 0 turnovers.  Anyone else surprised that he has 5 assists to only 18 turnovers this season? :o
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: FWalum on January 09, 2015, 04:47:54 PMThis CSU game will be won on defense and the team that plays better defense wins this one.

I totally agree with this statement. Excellent point.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Smj

Sorry have to take this opportunity. ...   I think scoring will win this game - the team the scores more points is going to win. .......

LaPorteAveApostle

I thought about saying something like that, and then went to bed.  kudos for the follow-thru.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Valpo2010

Quote from: wh on January 09, 2015, 03:54:14 PM
Opening spread: Valpo -7

Moved to Valpo -5 over night

And just moved to Valpo -4.5 this morning...

Excited to get to the ARC tonight, haven't been to many games in person lately.

valpo84

Like most. CSU games, this one will come down to how tight it's called. On the road CSU's defensive aggressive usually gets whistled. At the Wolstein they're allowed to hammer away on D (sort of like the old Huggybear UC squads). We have had good success at home v. CSU and need to hold serve. 70 pts is still the key in conference and for Valpo. If we can score 70 first, we win! I like this CSU team and think they are top 2 in conference. Anton Grady will give us fits. Highly respect Waters coaching. Make them shoot jumpers.

Valpo 63
CSU 62

Buzzer beater time.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

agibson

Quote from: Valpo2010 on January 10, 2015, 08:03:51 AM
Quote from: wh on January 09, 2015, 03:54:14 PM
Opening spread: Valpo -7

Moved to Valpo -5 over night

And just moved to Valpo -4.5 this morning...

Excited to get to the ARC tonight, haven't been to many games in person lately.

I'm seeing 5.5, 6.

classof2014

I always hate playing CSU, the game I dread most on the schedule. I'm hoping KC plays but am doubtful, originally without KC I'd say a loss but they are also without their PG in Charlie Lee, who also is one of the best PGs in the HL.

I say we win a close one, a low scoring affair, 62-59.

If CSU holds us to below 60 they win, if we score more than 70 we win. If it's in the 60s it's more up in the air but I say we have the homecourt advantage to tilt the tables our way.

HC

Did Lee get injured in their last game? I watched part of that game and he was playing, quite well.

Pgmado

I'm not seeing anything about Charlie Lee missing the game.

historyman

Quote from: Smj on January 10, 2015, 03:23:41 AMSorry have to take this opportunity. ...   I think scoring will win this game - the team the scores more points is going to win. .......

This has become kind of a cliche but the team that transitions from tough physical defense and turns that into offense (points) will win the game due to their tough defense. Yes, they will score the most points but it will be mainly due to their defense.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

SanityLost17

Our 3rd and 4th string point guards are very good for being 3rd and 4th string, but I don't think they are ready for good full court pressure.  We will have several long scoring droughts.  CSU 65 Valpo 58

Valpofan00

Maybe I'm crazy but I think Max is gonna surprise a lot of us tonight.

wh

With Lexus out and now Keith, we have no one adept at feeding the ball inside to Alec.  Several times against UIC Alec had his defender posted and walled off, but other players either missed him or were too slow or deliberate getting him the ball, which allowed the defender time to recover or another player time to come over and help. We got away with it because of UIC's matador defense on drives to the hoop, but that isn't going to happen against CSU's quicker on-ball defenders.  Hopefully, we're working on that because we have to take advantage of mismatches when they're there. 

oklahomamick

A key to the game is our guards taking care of the ball.  We have done a lot better this year with turnovers. 
CRUSADERS!!!

vu72

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 10, 2015, 06:35:24 PM
A key to the game is our guards taking care of the ball.  We have done a lot better this year with turnovers. 

A lot better!  How's the weather shaping up?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015