• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Youngstown State - Tuesday 1/20/2015, 6pm CT

Started by justducky, January 18, 2015, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

So with 6 players in the mix for 15-16 point guard playing time will-------- nope don't go there as we can talk about that this summer.

My predictions for the HL tournament seedings are--------wait---- just a bit too early for that also.

Our return game with CSU could be a hard nosed, bloody----------Oh that is our last game of February!

I think our defensive match ups with Green Bay will be---- no, no, no Ducky, need to backtrack even further!

There is only one thing we need to remember about our Tuesday trip to YSU and that is that they CAN beat us!!!

talksalot

Game #21 on the season... Last year game 21 was also played at YSU... we beat'em 74-71.
Game #21 two years ago... home to GB, we beat'em 73-61
Game #21 three years ago... At UIC, we beat'em 60-55
4 years ago... don't ask.

We are 17-11 over the past 28 years in game #21 on the season...

I did not want to jinx last night...we are now 22-7 in game #20 of the season over the past 29 years.

One more win away from the ARC gives up double-digit wins for the year (4 road and 5 neutral)... we've done that 7 times in the past 29 years.

HC

valpotx

Valpo 74
YSU 62

YSU doesn't have anyone that can take over the game any more, such as when they had Perry.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: talksalot on January 18, 2015, 12:41:20 PM
Game #21 on the season... Last year game 21 was also played at YSU... we beat'em 74-71.
Game #21 two years ago... home to GB, we beat'em 73-61
Game #21 three years ago... At UIC, we beat'em 60-55
4 years ago... don't ask.

We are 17-11 over the past 28 years in game #21 on the season...

I did not want to jinx last night...we are now 22-7 in game #20 of the season over the past 29 years.

One more win away from the ARC gives up double-digit wins for the year (4 road and 5 neutral)... we've done that 7 times in the past 29 years.

So when was the last time we were 17-3?  1923-24??
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

1944-45 we FINISHED 21-3... started 11-0.. lost three... won 10.  (and we avenged all three of these losses a few weeks later)
Jan. 8 vs. Great Lakes NTS L 52-38
Jan. 10 at Indiana State L 48-41
Jan. 13 at Hamline L 50-43
... I didn't do the analysis on how many losses we had when we picked up win #17 on other seasons...but nothing is close to this.

VUfan

Is this not early to have played twenty Games?  ???

talksalot

but if you are looking for another reason the numbers are looking good...here are the last 4 times we played on January 20th.

January 20, 2005:   Valpo wins at Chicago State by 11
January 20, 2001:   Valpo wins at UMKC  by 13
January 20, 1997:   Valpo goes to MaBee Center and does what it normally did.
January 20, 1996:   Valpo wins at the ARC against Buffalo 86-65.

3 out of the last 4 times...Only 1 loss in 24 years of games played on January 20.

talksalot

Quote from: VUfan on January 19, 2015, 04:44:17 PMIs this not early to have played twenty Games? 

Not with those multi-game tournaments...and the NCAA change in the entire calendar...

2009-10:   Game #20:  January 21, a win at UIC, Game #21 was January 23
2010-11:   Game #20:  January 21, a win at Milwaukee   Game #21 was January 23
2011-12:   Game #20:  January 19, a win at Loyola; Game #21 was January 21
2012-13:   Game #20:  January 19, a win at Wright State; Game #21 was January 23
2013-14:   Game #20:  January 18, a win at Milwaukee,  Game #21 was January 23... a WIN AT YOUNGSTOWN !

and remember... November 6th is the earliest start date we have on file on the website.   (last year 11/8 and 2011 and 1998 we started 11/7).  Back in the day there were different rules about the opening date:  1993 we opened 11/28 and 1994 we opened 11/27... and 1992 we opened on December 1.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: talksalot on January 19, 2015, 04:59:11 PMand remember... November 6th is the earliest start date we have on file on the website.   (last year 11/8 and 2011 and 1998 we started 11/7).  Back in the day there were different rules about the opening date:  1993 we opened 11/28 and 1994 we opened 11/27... and 1992 we opened on December 1.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Please, speak more clearly into the pocket protector!

VUfan

Good team to play and the  stars seem to be right and if the team will play right! :) :)

justducky

Nobody seems too concerned (except 78crusader) that we could get beaten tonight. With Green Bay awaiting us on Friday partially overlooking YSU is almost inevitable but very dangerous. I think the chances of coming out very sharp and very focused are very slim! I expect a poorly played ugly performance that hopefully will still result in a win.

agibson

We seem to be ~10 point favorites.  I'm no betting man, but that's more than I'd have naively guessed without our point guard, who had a double-double with 4 A - 0 TO before going down with the dislocated toe, in the first VU-YSU game, at our place.

Anyone think they can invent a press like Wright State?

Can Peters really outthink them in the rematch?  (As one of the beat writers... NWI Times or Post Trib?... suggested.)  Or, will they manage to shut him down?

Can we out rebound them by 20...again?  (Granted, part of that was both teams shooting rather poorly.  And maybe lots of long offensive boards from bucketfuls of missed 3's on our part.  Peters 1-9 from downtown - ugh.)

classof2014

We should be able to beat YSU quite easily, they are nowhere near as strong as CSU and WSU defensively and we were able to take both those squads down without a regular PG. YSU stinks, they lost to UIC, the team that always loses (ie Detroit). Their main scoring threat is Hain, Vashil is the best defensive player in the league, teams can't go inside when Vashil is in the game.

My guess is we're up 13 at half and coast into a 16 point victory.

covufan

I think Peters will have a more normal (for him) game, and maybe the team will start hitting the FTs.

Valpo 76
YSU   65

vu84v2

I apologize if this is redundant versus some other note that I have not seen, but what is Carter's status?  Will he play?  If not, what is his outlook for returning?  It seems that Valpo has won these games without Carter with great coaching and "uglying" the game.  While Valpo may win againt YSU without Carter in the same ugly manner, I don't see this continuing.

Without Carter: Valpo 62 YSU 58
With Carter: Valpo 77 YSU 61

valpo4life

Keith did not travel with the team to Youngstown so he could rehab as much as possible. But even without him for another game, this game doesn't worry me much. YSU cannot defend the way CSU and WSU do. They are giving up 76.5 points per game in conference play. They will need to shoot the lights out to have a legitimate chance in my opinion (which I'm not saying isn't possible). This game could be "ugly" as a couple people have pointed out, but it's kind of nice to be able to be winning this way. We aren't accustomed to the way we now rebound and defend. I love it and watch these close games with more confidence in previous years because I trust us to get the stop when we need it more than ever.

Valpo 74
YSU 63

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on January 20, 2015, 12:25:18 PMKeith did not travel with the team to Youngstown so he could rehab as much as possible.

If I remember well, Bryce, in the preview show, seemed hopeful that he might be back (practicing? in a game?) next week.

valpo4life

If I had to guess, we might not see Keith until February 4th. A home game against Detroit. Before that date we have today's game, @ GB, home for Milwaukee, then @ UIC. A relatively light stretch minus obviously the Green Bay game. Although UIC has been tough at home in conference play, that's one we should win with or without him. Same with tonight and home against Milwaukee. I know I'm getting ahead of myself, just addressing when I might expect to see Keith back. Obviously sooner rather than later, however.

valpo84

According to the above interview -- Carter would be a stretch for Friday, but maybe next week. Very non-committal.

The Igloo is always a strange place for Valpo. Lots of disturbing finishes and happenings. I think it's that Mr and Mrs Icee Penguins that wander around and scare the children. Plus, now they have Jim Tressel mojo there.

Seriously, this game always scares me. We need the first 10 mins to be high energy and aggressiveness. Take YSU right out of it. But the refs and the Penguins usually make this a 1-2 score game decided late by some flukish play(s).

We'll be there. So don't want to jinx with a prediction.

Anyone else attending?
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

classof2014

The Beeghly Center is about as dead as the Pens hope of winning any sort of title. I'm sure the low energy atmosphere of the Beeghly Center is a reason why many games we seem to come out slow and a bit off the mark. Hard to get hyped up for a game in Youngstown Ohio in front of 8 people. Where the only noise being made is when they're commentator yells out 'bang bang' after a 3...

Has there ever been a sell-out at the Beeghly Center for a mens home basketball game?

hailcrusaders

Sure seems like Carter has been "a stretch for the next one" for the last two weeks. Certainly we shouldn't rush him back, but I don't know how reliable interviews are on gauging his health. The coaches have either been told to keep quiet about it, or legitimately don't know enough to judge his readiness.
#CrusadersForever

crusadermoe

Legend tells us that back in Bryce's playing days there was quite a rowdy crowd at the Beeghly.    Rough city and rough games.   Never saw the team in those days.   

Then were a few more dog years for YSU but YSU "moved on up to the east side" of the Horizon League (before Valparaiso was invited to join the Horizon League a few years later in '07.   

The outcry was deafening from hard core VU fans as it should have been.   I suspect YSU has not filled the place since the Mid-Con days vs. Valpo if it ever did.