• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Youngstown State - Tuesday 1/20/2015, 6pm CT

Started by justducky, January 18, 2015, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 20, 2015, 02:25:40 PM
Legend tells us that back in Bryce's playing days there was quite a rowdy crowd at the Beeghly.    Rough city and rough games.   Never saw the team in those days.   

Then were a few more dog years for YSU but YSU "moved on up to the east side" of the Horizon League (before Valparaiso was invited to join the Horizon League a few years later in '07.   

The outcry was deafening from hard core VU fans as it should have been.   I suspect YSU has not filled the place since the Mid-Con days vs. Valpo if it ever did.

I seem to remember a crowd near or at 7000 but I don't even remember their capacity. That was for a time a better or as good a rivalry as we had with ORU

sliman

I really fear this game.  A lot went well the first meeting and much of it started with Keith Carter.  Vashil must stay out of foul trouble, something that made Hain nearly ineffective in the first meeting.  Keeping him on the bench again tonight would be helpful.  This may be our trap game of the season.

valpo84

Legend tells us that in 1998, for example, a near capacity crowd (around 4500) packed the Igloo (aka Beeghly, aka the dump in Y-Town) for a titanic tilt between Valpo and the Penguins. That Sweet 16 team was leading and looking to extend the lead when Tony V was called for a moving screen right in front of the Valpo bench. Horrible call. It took a Bryce NBA effort of 25 and a late 3 to sock that away (70-68). They grabbed, tugged jersey, bumped Bryce all night long and Homer had had it (as did the small smattering of VU fans behind the bench). Wasn't sure if we were getting out of there alive. It was a lively atmosphere in those days. The year before we lost by a couple. They had decent crowds for SUtah too. The Pep Band is decent. Just without a winning history the past few years, it just doesn't draw well during the week.  In those late 90s, Dan Peters was the coach. Great coach and mentor. He passed away last fall, too soon (cancer). He had been at Akron as an assistant. The Igloo is a bit of a dump in today's era with bleacher seating on the tops, some plastic chairs on the one side. (not much different than a lot of the older MAC gyms and Hilltop). Y-Town is a tough, old, steel and automotive rust-belt city and that was its fan base. But, there is a Quaker Steak on the way back from a game, so at least we got that....
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

justducky

Quote from: justducky on January 20, 2015, 02:38:18 PMI seem to remember a crowd near or at 7000 but I don't even remember their capacity.
Quote from: valpo84 on January 20, 2015, 02:54:58 PMLegend tells us that in 1998, for example, a near capacity crowd (around 4500) packed the Igloo (aka Beeghly, aka the dump in Y-Town) for a titanic tilt between Valpo and the Penguins.
Was there a MidCon tournament hosted somewhere out there from which that 7000 figure entered my mind or am I just entering a new stage where another medication might be helpful?    :'(

FWalum

Just really don't like this game.  Coming off of a very difficult and important away game and now another away game that "should" be less difficult just makes my alarm bells start going off.  Difficult to stay focused and intense for this game.  Slocum needs a win badly, this could be his last year unless he turns things around in the conference after a decent OOC start to the year. 

The one good thing is that I think Bryce has hit on a strategy with Tevonn bringing the ball up the floor when needed.  This restores some of our ability to have some quick hitters, puts some pressure on the defense and does not let the defense setup as much as the more methodical way Max, E Victor and others where getting us into the offense.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

I share your concern. At the same time YSU has a very short bench and full court pressing an opponent is not a normal part of their defensive strategy. I have to think that at some point they'll either be gassed, get in foul trouble, or both. I'm guessing that Slocum will press off and on, if at all.

vu84v2

Seems like Valpo played a good first half.  I do get a bit worried when a team comes out and shoots so well from three in the first half, because it can cause them to settle for outside jumpers in the second half and allow the opponent to make a major run.  Vashil really has moments when he looks great defensively.

Valpo89

I can't remember exactly what year it was, but Scott Drew - then a VU assistant - was suspended for the next game based on his behavior on the bench or walking off the floor during one of those crazy games at Youngstown. They used to have two really good guards, and they were coached by the late Dan Peters, a pretty good guy who recently passed away much to young due to cancer. The success of their whole season was basically built on trying to beat Valpo. I'm sure The Chef would have more info. Also go to The Times archives in the mid-to-late 90s and search Scott Drew suspension, and I'm positive a story will show up. Because when it appeared on the top of the Times sports section, Homer wasn't too pleased.

Actually, I found the link:

http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/vu-assistant-coach-punished/article_4f6b3241-c1af-5cb5-bf68-ff349349d30a.html

wh

Quote from: vu84v2 on January 20, 2015, 06:55:38 PM
Seems like Valpo played a good first half. I do get a bit worried when a team comes out and shoots so well from three in the first half, because it can cause them to settle for outside jumpers in the second half and allow the opponent to make a major run.  Vashil really has moments when he looks great defensively.

You are reading my mind.  :)

valpo4life

Guys we just held them to 25 points in a half without forcing a single turnover...that's impressive.

talksalot

Has there ever been a sell out at YSU?... you asked...

YSU has won the NCAA Division I Pack The House Challenge in the Horizon League in two of the last three seasons. The women's basketball team routinely ranks second in the league in attendance, and more than 6,000 fans have packed the arena for a men's game in each of the last three seasons. Nearly 6,250 watched the YSU men defeat Cleveland State on Jan. 23, 2009 in a game that was broadcast on ESPNU.

11/15/14 KENT STATE L 61-69 2840
11/16/14 OBERLIN W 71-53 1353
11/26/14 UMKC W 66-63 1177
12/7/14 THIEL W 70-45 1122
12/17/14 KENNESAW STATE L 84-90 1229
12/19/14 WILBERFORCE W 92-71 2050
12/31/14 NORTHERN KENTUCKY W 78-74 1396
1/8/15 WRIGHT STATE L 61-70 1215
1/17/15 CLEVELAND STATE L 61-74 3385

valpotx

The YSU/Valpo games were always competitive while I was in school.  We usually beat them, but they were competitive and well attended.
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Is there anyone at this game?  Can not believe the lack of butts in the seats at this contest.  Surely Slocum has to go, there is just no energy or urgency by the Penguins.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

why are the starters still in an 18-pt game with 2 minutes left? 

do we not have any important games left this year or something?
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

valpotx

I was only able to watch the last 12 minutes, which was pretty good basketball by VU.  Was it much of a contest in the first half?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpo4life

Quote from: valpotx on January 20, 2015, 07:58:30 PM
I was only able to watch the last 12 minutes, which was pretty good basketball by VU.  Was it much of a contest in the first half?

Only reason it was within 10 points was because Amiker made everything he looked at with Vashil guarding him on the perimeter. Coaching staff clearly wanted him taking those long jump shots over him. Credit him for knocking them down.

valpopal

Another great conference game for Adekoya, who is now shooting 21-26 (81%) in the six games since Horizon League play began.

[tweet]557719348312543232[/tweet]

Pgmado

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 20, 2015, 07:49:53 PMwhy are the starters still in an 18-pt game with 2 minutes left?

Only had nine healthy players. At least one starter always on the floor.

LaPorteAveApostle

true.  but they didn't pull any until 1:59, and then they only pulled two.  didn't pull the last (possible) until 1:20.

I mean, I would rather have won by 11 and had the guys rest another 5 minutes.

There's kind of a big game in comparatively few hours on the whole other side of the conference, is all I'm saying.

to be honest, though, I've thought that about the Drews since I was 11 in '89.

classof2014

Nice easy win, executed our plays and we're starting to see more consistency from EVN and Max from the PG position. Hopefully we can continue the hot shooting in the land of cheese on Saturday. Once again YSU made no attempt to go inside and hit some tough shots over Vashil that kept it close at times but otherwise the team with more talent won and fairly easily. Nice 2 game swing into Ohio.

LaPorteAveApostle

This team is just plain fun to watch.  I think it goes back to something I discussed a while back--the best seasons are when your team comes out of nowhere, expectations-wise.

When Rowdy and everyone were seniors, it was just so tough because we were expected to win basically every night, and when we didn't it was a big letdown.  Last year, we were much worse than that year, but because less was expected, it was interesting to watch the growth.

I'll always think of the 2006 Detroit Tigers, who came out of NOWHERE (well, nowhere good) to go to the Series.  Ever since then, fellow Tiger fans have been whiny entitled jerks.  Nothing can ever top the freshness of aught-six, unless we have a decade-and-a-half of excrement including the most historically awful season just 3 years prior.

Just a caution to everyone thinking about next year (and even the year after) already.  It'll be fun then, just less fresh and with more weight.

bbtds

Valpo shot 62.5 %, 10 of 16, from three to YSU's 6 of 20 from three. That was 12 points of the 15 point margin. Valpo shot 51.4%, 18 of 35 from two and 11 of 13 FT's to YSU's 14 of 36 from two and 16 of 19 FT's.

When you shoot like that and out rebound the opposition 31-28, 20-13 Valpo in the 1st half, it's hard to lose. The area where we out done by YSU was turnovers, 11 to 5, although 11 TO's is not that bad.

I was flabergassed that YSU was only called for 1 foul in the whole first half. You got to be kidding me. ONE foul! Thank God Darien made both of the FTs off that foul--ONE foul!

The refs at least called the Penguins for 10 fouls in the 2nd half for a total of 11 YSU fouls for the game.

Overall a well played game. We still need to fix the problem with Nickerson bringing the ball up the court before we play Green Bay.

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 20, 2015, 08:31:58 PM
I'll always think of the 2006 Detroit Tigers, who came out of NOWHERE (well, nowhere good) to go to the Series.  Ever since then, fellow Tiger fans have been whiny entitled jerks.  Nothing can ever top the freshness of aught-six, unless we have a decade-and-a-half of excrement including the most historically awful season just 3 years prior.
Let's hope the Crusaders are NOT like the Tigers in 2006.

NL St. Louis Cardinals (4) vs. AL Detroit Tigers (1)

Game   Date   Score   Location   Time   Attendance
1   October 21   St. Louis Cardinals – 7, Detroit Tigers – 2   Comerica Park   2:54   42,479[8]
2   October 22   St. Louis Cardinals – 1, Detroit Tigers – 3   Comerica Park   2:55   42,533[9]
3   October 24   Detroit Tigers – 0, St. Louis Cardinals – 5   Busch Stadium (III)   3:03   46,513[10]
4   October 26†   Detroit Tigers – 4, St. Louis Cardinals – 5   Busch Stadium (III)   3:35   46,470[11]
5   October 27†   Detroit Tigers – 2, St. Louis Cardinals – 4   Busch Stadium (III)   2:56   46,638[12]
†: Game 4 was postponed due to rain on October 25, forcing Game 5 to be subsequently pushed back a day as well.

valpo4life

Let's take a moment to bat ourselves on the back as a message board here tonight, almost every prediction made had us between 74-77 points, and YSU between 61-64.  :thumbsup: