• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ Green Bay - Friday 1/23/15, 8pm CT

Started by vufan75, January 21, 2015, 08:45:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Quote from: bbtds on January 22, 2015, 12:11:58 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 22, 2015, 08:10:22 AMESPNU - sigh.  I wonder if the replay will be available to non-U subscribers on ESPN3?

Yes, ESPN 3 does make these games available to watch on their "REPLAY" tab. Unfortunately it can be up to 3 to 5 hours after the game is over.

This I don't understand.  I have a basic cable package and get ESPNU at no additional charge.  Either move to Dallas or complain loudly!!   >:(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

Smj

History tells me that this game will be decided by the refs...   Sorry but that is how I feel about some of the Horizon League road games.

They will call everything for the home team until the end and then try to make the calls look less one sided after they have impacted the game enough that it won't matter.

Did I wake up on the wrong side of the bed or what. ......

Kyle321n

Quote from: Smj on January 23, 2015, 08:04:47 AM
History tells me that this game will be decided by the refs...   Sorry but that is how I feel about some of the Horizon League road games.

They will call everything for the home team until the end and then try to make the calls look less one sided after they have impacted the game enough that it won't matter.

I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I mean look at games we have at home. I don't think we get an inordinate calls in our favor and if anything I think we have terrible home court "advantage" when it comes to refs.  I don't trust the refs to call an even game, but to say that the calls will be slanted towards the home team might be wrong. I don't think you can predict which team will get the better end of the calls for the refs tonight.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

Quote from: Smj on January 23, 2015, 08:04:47 AM

Fully agree with that statement just look at the stat line from last game in GB.

They shot 41% (21/51), 27% from 3 (3/11) for a total of: 45 points

We shot 36% (21/58), 25 % from 3 (6/17) for a total of: 48 points

-So based on those few stats you would imagine the game would've been closer than a 14 point win for GB. So what is the difference if we scored more on regular basketball plays? Fouls, we had 7 free throws (5/7) while they had 25 free throws (22/25). I remember watching this game and getting quite enraged at the refs. I'm not saying we would've won if all was equal but the refs had a very heavy influence on this game, 18 more free throw opportunities is redicilous.

Hopefully since the game is nationally televised, so the HL is broadcasted everywhere, perhaps the refs will want to call the game easily and not make a fool out of themselves in front of the country.

classof2014

I was poking around on the GB message board: this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while:

QuoteI have noticed this in the past when checking out other message boards but I didn't realize this was a thing...Valpo fans don't like GB and despise Coach Wardle. I have no clue where that came from but it may be the weirdest one way rivalry in the league. They ripped on him winning coach of the year last year and they think they will win tonight because Wardle will mess it up.

a3uge

Quote from: classof2014 on January 23, 2015, 08:25:31 AM
I was poking around on the GB message board: this is one of the funniest posts I've seen in a while:

QuoteI have noticed this in the past when checking out other message boards but I didn't realize this was a thing...Valpo fans don't like GB and despise Coach Wardle. I have no clue where that came from but it may be the weirdest one way rivalry in the league. They ripped on him winning coach of the year last year and they think they will win tonight because Wardle will mess it up.

I don't think anyone on here has called UWGB a rival. I'm not sure we despise Wardle, but at the very least, most of us consider him a laughable choice for coach of the year last year - after all, with 2 NBA players, his team failed to reach the HL Championship game for the first time in 17 years despite playing a team at home that finished below .500 in conference that was on less than 24 hours rest.

But maybe he's corrected these problems this year by making sure all of his players got laid over the offseason.

oklahomamick

I thought it was odd GB message board only has 4 post about the Valpo game. 
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

They don't have time to post...they're running sprints till
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

I feel like fans of other teams used to post on this board more often. We've been rude to pretty much every team in the league. Id like to say our trollability is top notch.

*waits for token Oral Roberts fan to post

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2015, 09:07:04 AM
Quote from: classof2014 on January 23, 2015, 08:25:31 AM

I don't think anyone on here has called UWGB a rival. I'm not sure we despise Wardle, but at the very least, most of us consider him a laughable choice for coach of the year last year - after all, with 2 NBA players, his team failed to reach the HL Championship game for the first time in 17 years despite playing a team at home that finished below .500 in conference that was on less than 24 hours rest.

But maybe he's corrected these problems this year by making sure all of his players got laid over the offseason.

As far as not getting to the finals last year, I would mention in passing that his 2 NBA players were both not 100% at the time.  Recently watched some video of that game and Sykes toughed it out but was limping and Brown just played bad.  Don't know that this is Wardle's fault totally.  However, he owns his coaching style and treatment of players which was so elegantly aired for all to read. Wardle retained despite allegations
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

classof2014

Quote from: FWalum on January 23, 2015, 09:42:39 AM
As far as not getting to the finals last year, I would mention in passing that his 2 NBA players were both not 100% at the time.  Recently watched some video of that game and Sykes toughed it out but was limping and Brown just played bad.  Don't know that this is Wardle's fault totally.  However, he owns his coaching style and treatment of players which was so elegantly aired for all to read. Wardle retained despite allegations

Even though Sykes was playing injured you can still put quite a bit of blame on Wardle for the loss to UWM. A good coach would have his team prepared for a big game like this and would have his team ready to play with a not 100% Sykes, who even impaired was better than a majority of UWM's players. I'm not blaming Wardle for Brown's poor play but shouldn't a first-teamer be prepared for the opportunity to play in the NCAAs. The lack of the team preparedness I do blame on the coach, it is up to him to instill confidence in his players to go in a take down a mediocre to sub-par Milwaukee team in order to advance to the finals.

GB wasn't ready for the game. That's poor coaching in my mind. UWM was, Jeter should've been coach of the year last season. Milwaukee was expected to do nothing and they won the championship and played great when it mattered most.

I don't like Wardle and never will. I think he's a great recruiter, got two NBAers on his team and both were playing there at once and couldn't even make it to the HL finals. Until Wardle proves he can do something more than make it past the first round of the tourney in my mind he's not a great coach, not to mention the numerous allegations of him in the past.

Grizz

The voting was before the tournament and, didn't you guys get beat at home in the tournament championship game by the 3 seed. So does that mean Drew is a crap coach. If I remember right the next year you won on a miracle shot, with everyone healthy. Guess your logic only applies to everyone else.

hailcrusaders

Valpo was picked 4th preseason '11-'12. Weren't expected to play in the HL championship, not to mention host the whole tourney. That's coaching.

GB was the preseason favorite last year. To be fair, they played to expectations right up through February. However, the lost in the SEMIS to a mediocre Milwaukee squad.

'11-12 Detroit, McCallum and co. > Milwaukee last year.

Last, and CERTAINLY not least, Drew isn't abusive of his players.
#CrusadersForever

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on January 23, 2015, 09:20:24 AM*waits for token Oral Roberts Oakland fan to post

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 11:25:13 AMThe voting was before the tournament and, didn't you guys get beat at home in the tournament championship game by the 3 seed. So does that mean Drew is a crap coach. If I remember right the next year you won on a miracle shot, with everyone healthy. Guess your logic only applies to everyone else.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 11:25:13 AM
The voting was before the tournament and, didn't you guys get beat at home in the tournament championship game by the 3 seed. So does that mean Drew is a crap coach. If I remember right the next year you won on a miracle shot, with everyone healthy. Guess your logic only applies to everyone else.

I'm trying to recall, how many "future NBA players" did we have when we hit the "miracle" shot?  I'm trying to recall, did we go ahead and win that game and the championship, or did we get humiliated like the team with 2 "future NBA players" and the COY did by the no. 5 seed on their home court?  I'm trying to recall, when Bryce Drew did not get COY 2 years ago, wasn't the explanation from people in the know (including 1 of our local reporters with a vote) that you don't give the award to the guy whose team merely did what they were predicted to do?  I'm trying to recall, didn't the same bunch the next year vote Wardle COY when GB was the preseason selection to win conference?  Last, but not least, I'm trying to recall how many times in the 3 years that 2 "future NBA players" shared the court did GB represent the HL in the NCAA tournament?  What if by some miracle they don't go this year? Imagine a mid major team with 2 "future NBA players" being guided by "one of the up and coming young coaches" going 5 seasons and never winning the conference tournament. I'm trying to recall, has there ever been a program in the history of the HL that has so underperformed relative to talent and expectations? 

Grizz

Brown never played 1 minute in the NBA and your kid who is playing over seas was a better player. YOU KNOW THAT! And the hype machine aside is Sykes at 5-9 a NBA player? would you bet on that.

vu72

Quote from: classof2014 on January 23, 2015, 10:18:55 AM
Quote from: FWalum on January 23, 2015, 09:42:39 AM

Even though Sykes was playing injured you can still put quite a bit of blame on Wardle for the loss to UWM. A good coach would have his team prepared for a big game like this and would have his team ready to play with a not 100% Sykes, who even impaired was better than a majority of UWM's players. I'm not blaming Wardle for Brown's poor play but shouldn't a first-teamer be prepared for the opportunity to play in the NCAAs. The lack of the team preparedness I do blame on the coach, it is up to him to instill confidence in his players to go in a take down a mediocre to sub-par Milwaukee team in order to advance to the finals.

GB wasn't ready for the game. That's poor coaching in my mind. UWM was, Jeter should've been coach of the year last season. Milwaukee was expected to do nothing and they won the championship and played great when it mattered most.

I don't like Wardle and never will. I think he's a great recruiter, got two NBAers on his team and both were playing there at once and couldn't even make it to the HL finals. Until Wardle proves he can do something more than make it past the first round of the tourney in my mind he's not a great coach, not to mention the numerous allegations of him in the past.

They also weren't ready to represent the Horizon in the NIT 10 days later, where they lost to Belmont by 15.  Were Sykes and Brown still hurt 10 days later?
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 11:25:13 AM

Never said the voting was before the tournament, doesn't make it less laughable knowing the result. No, we didn't get beat at home in the semi finals by a team on less than 24 hours rest to a team that finished below .500 in conference (comparing a team with an NBA player to UWM is laughable). And yes, we did win the conference the next year. Yes, we did score more points than the other team, which is the whole point of basketball. You inanely brought up that game - at the end UWGB was completely unprepared since for some reason Cougill was a) in the game, b) not playing for rebound, c) guarding Broekhoff for a reasonable-distance 3 point shot. Maybe, just maybe, Wardle's coaching didn't get through to him? And no, not everyone was healthy as Van Wijk was carried off the court and came back out after god knows what was injected in him. Nice try though.

Grizz

I checked the record books and yes, you lost in the conference finals to the 3 seed by 20. If any other coach in the league had done that you boys on this board would crucify him. FACT.

VUfan

This  is a game in which the team shows it real character stays with it solid defense continues to work the ball inside on offence and rebounds strongly.This will disrupt UWGB and give the team the chance to win on the road. This team continues to grow in ways not expected I hope it can continue. If so Vu 74 UWGB 66, if not it will be a long Bus ride home.  ::)   

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu72 on January 23, 2015, 12:37:06 PM
They also weren't ready to represent the Horizon in the NIT 10 days later, where they lost to Belmont by 15.  Were Sykes and Brown still hurt 10 days later?

Sykes didn't play in that game, so yes. Brown played 28 minutes and had the worst game of that season, but was he hurt against Milwaukee? He played 35 minutes.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 12:31:34 PM
Brown never played 1 minute in the NBA and your kid who is playing over seas was a better player. YOU KNOW THAT! And the hype machine aside is Sykes at 5-9 a NBA player? would you bet on that.

You're arguing points that nobody's making. And Brown hasn't played in the NBA because he tore up his shoulder. Sykes is projected 32nd overall on NBA Draft net. So yes, I would probably bet on that. Also, he isn't listed at 5'9 on any site I could find. On ESPN, CBS, DraftExpress, NBA Draft Net, and UWGBs website he's listed as 6ft. You're just making stuff up at this point.

wh

Quote from: Grizz on January 23, 2015, 12:43:41 PM
I checked the record books and yes, you lost in the conference finals to the 3 seed by 20. If any other coach in the league had done that you boys on this board would crucify him. FACT.

Yes, a very disappointing loss indeed. I've often wondered if we would have been better prepared to play that game had we played 6 high major teams during OOC play. I guess we'll never know... ;)

Grizz

If he is 6-0, I will drive to Mayberry and buy you a  dinner at the finest restaurant you have there. (Probably a Steak and Shake). I stood next to him at our game last week and while he has about 3 inches of hair, Maybe they are counting that, but I'm 5-10 and I was bigger then he was.