• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Milwaukee at Valparaiso (Jan. 26, 7:05 PM)

Started by valpopal, January 24, 2015, 12:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 26, 2015, 09:50:07 PMwho are the top 4? 
Green Bay, Valpo, Cleveland State and at this time I would probably say Oakland.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

valpopal

Quote from: Valpofan00 on January 26, 2015, 08:29:37 PM
Agreed Ive always hated the under basket camera. It needs to be taken out.

A few of my under the basket camera shots: Skara's circus shot, Vashil's poster dunk, and Alec scoring 2 of his game-high 24 (in only 24 minutes of play).  ;D

bbtds

What game were you watching? Valpo went up 7-0 and never looked back. When did
Quote from: agibson on January 26, 2015, 07:46:31 PMAlec had a look at a three to tie it there with about a minute left in the half.  Couldn't get it to go.
? ? ?

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on January 26, 2015, 09:10:54 PMDid Tiby even play the second half? I completely forgot about him.

Tiby went out at halftime and got a buzz cut and shaved his face. He looked like a third Prahl brother.   ;)

valpopal

I hated seeing Lexus on crutches again. Wish him well and a full recovery so he can bring his energy back onto the court by fall!

valpo4life

Quote from: bbtds on January 26, 2015, 11:25:16 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 26, 2015, 07:46:31 PMAlec had a look at a three to tie it there with about a minute left in the half.  Couldn't get it to go.
? ? ?

Pretty sure this was a reference for Alec's first half total to tie Milwaukee's team total.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpopal on January 26, 2015, 11:42:07 PMI hated seeing Lexus on crutches again. Wish him well and a full recovery so he can bring his energy back onto the court by fall!
has there been any news on that front?  dear Lord, I hope he didn't tear again!!

EDIT:  do my own legwork:

QuoteNotes: Drew didn't have an update on Lexus Williams' reinjured left knee.
http://posttrib.chicagotribune.com/sports/32416155-556/mens-basketball-valparaiso-cruises-past-milwaukee.html#.VMdJ61pp-LA
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

historyman

Quote from: a3uge on January 26, 2015, 09:02:12 PMFor one, the guy on oakland stepped out of bounds, then Walker was clearly fouled... but traveling?

What's the Cleve St--Oakland game got to do with Walker being called for traveling?  :-[
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

Fun game to watch, where I didn't have to watch every single play, since it was in hand so early on.

Skara's shot reminded me of KVW's circus shot from a few years ago.  KVW's was better, but very similar.  Vashil is just getting plain nasty on some of these alley-oops.  He flushed that one down with authority, and it happened very quickly.  His leaping ability is insane when he wants to 'fly high.' 

Anyone else notice Adam Amin sitting next to Todd and Dave?
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 27, 2015, 02:09:54 AM
Quote from: valpopal on January 26, 2015, 11:42:07 PMI hated seeing Lexus on crutches again. Wish him well and a full recovery so he can bring his energy back onto the court by fall!
has there been any news on that front?  dear Lord, I hope he didn't tear again!!

EDIT:  do my own legwork:

QuoteNotes: Drew didn't have an update on Lexus Williams' reinjured left knee.
http://posttrib.chicagotribune.com/sports/32416155-556/mens-basketball-valparaiso-cruises-past-milwaukee.html#.VMdJ61pp-LA

Lexus said that he broke his knee cap, a freak accident and unrelated to his earlier injury --other than the fact that it was the same knee.  It will set him back four to six weeks.

Beamin' Beacons

usc4valpo

OK, I live 360 miles away from campus and I could not attend - but these guys are playing very well with a respectable 19-4 record, and they only have 2100 at the game?  You can't blame the weather.  If a discussion of a new facility warrants serious thought, then more support for these guys is required.

HC

I live 4 miles away.  We went to the game and I was pleasantly surprised by how many people were there.  These week night games are tough for families.  I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old and we didn't make it home until 9 and we left with 4 minutes left. 

I hope ESPN is kicking back some cash to make up for them having to play on these crappy weeknight games.

classof2014

Wasn't at all surprised by this game. I though after a tough loss this group was going to come out and take out their frustrations. Which is exactly what happened.

We could easily win the HL tourney, hard to believe that we only lose Vashil and we get Lexus back (hopefully) as well with Hammink and Levingston plus a high recruit in Smits.

At the very worst this team should get an invite to the NIT, hoping for more but this team has already exceeded many peoples expectations.

oklahomamick

Quote from: HC on January 27, 2015, 07:43:20 AMI live 4 miles away.  We went to the game and I was pleasantly surprised by how many people were there.  These week night games are tough for families.  I have an 8 year old and a 4 year old and we didn't make it home until 9 and we left with 4 minutes left. I hope ESPN is kicking back some cash to make up for them having to play on these crappy weeknight games.

The schedule is brutal.  Several teams will be on the road for 4-5 games straight at a time.  I'm not a big fan of adding N.Kentucky but I desperately want travel partners and play the Friday/Sunday schedule. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on January 27, 2015, 04:25:09 AMAnyone else notice Adam Amin sitting next to Todd and Dave?

Yes, I snapped a photo of Amin in attendance:

talksalot

Adam had posted on FB that this was his one opportunity to catch a home game... flew in from Raleigh last night.     He'll be in Tallahassee on Sunday hoping for a FAST Florida State game to get back home in time for the Seahawks game.  What a Life!

agibson

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 27, 2015, 06:56:53 AM
but these guys are playing very well with a respectable 19-4 record, and they only have 2100 at the game?  You can't blame the weather.

It's got to make a difference on the margin.  10%?  Not a lot of accumulation, but definitely a more intense snow shower than I expected, and right before the game.

agibson

Quote from: valpo4life on January 27, 2015, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: bbtds on January 26, 2015, 11:25:16 PM
? ? ?

Pretty sure this was a reference for Alec's first half total to tie Milwaukee's team total.

That's it.  He led them for much of the half.

Funnier quip if experienced in the moment?

Admittedly, when you spend minutes on the bench, you shouldn't be _too_ surprised if the other team outscores you.

Just 24 minutes? 14 in the first half. UMW got 20!

valpopal

Quote from: valpopal on January 24, 2015, 09:35:53 PM
Quote from: talksalot on January 24, 2015, 08:42:25 PMWe will no longer have Lights Out for player introductions  (Not possible in the ARC to bring the lights up in a timely manner)

A big thank you from all the photographers.  :thumbsup: Actually, following darkness for intros the lights usually do not reach full strength until after the first media timeout with about 15:00 left in the opening half. I sometimes wonder if that influences early game shooting of basketballs the way it influences shooting photos.

The lighting was remarkably better at the beginning of the game, which seemed to help Valpo's shooting (not so much for Milwaukee) leading to a 30-5 opening.  ::)

usc4valpo

Guys, my bad.  It was 51 deg in Des Moines yesterday, I did not know that there was a snowstorm in Valpo yesterday.

Please accept my apologies.

classof2014

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 27, 2015, 10:28:58 AM
Guys, my bad.  It was 51 deg in Des Moines yesterday, I did not know that there was a snowstorm in Valpo yesterday.

It's supposed to be near 60 tomorrow as well!

Kyle321n

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 27, 2015, 10:28:58 AM

Not a storm per say but there was an inch of snow on the car when I left the game and I had to brush it off when I left work at 5. Conditions were slick but not hazardous.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

FWalum

Wondering how Tevonn is feeling today.  He had a great start to the game, but was not the same player after he got tagged in the face with the Tiby elbow.  Really surprised that replay was not looked at after he was knocked to the floor.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

yeesh.  wouldn't be the first Tiby, uh, fractured...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on January 27, 2015, 08:43:00 AM
Adam had posted on FB that this was his one opportunity to catch a home game... flew in from Raleigh last night.     He'll be in Tallahassee on Sunday hoping for a FAST Florida State game to get back home in time for the Seahawks game.  What a Life!
Good for him!  I'm sure he has put in many hours to get these opportunities.