• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ UIC - Saturday 1/31/15, 2PM

Started by covufan, January 29, 2015, 12:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Afternoon tipoff.  We need come out and play well early, just like the Milwaukee game.

Valpo  73
UIC     61

classof2014

Darien Walker goes off in front of friends and family for 25-30 points.

We win 78 to 56

Kyle321n

I'm taking my dad to the game. I hope they play well since I've been talking this team up to him for about 2 weeks.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

marryxiao

valpotx

Valpo 81
UIC 67

Harris takes a shot from half-court with 30 seconds left on the shot clock, that bricks hard off the top of the backboard. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

usc4valpo

Wow, UIC basketball is really struggling a past few years. What is going on with that program?

a3uge

Kyle321n

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 30, 2015, 08:52:40 AM
Wow, UIC basketball is really struggling a past few years. What is going on with that program?
They've kind of had a bad decade. Since 2004, when they made the NCAA tournament 2 of 3 years, they've gone 56-115 in HL play. They haven't had a season over .500 and under Moore they've won 13 games in conference play. I think Moore is a bad coach who was given a program in ruins. He's not surviving this season and hopefully they bring in someone who can build up the team to being respectable. They are a black eye on this conference right now after being an exemplary program in the early 2000s.

agibson

Quote from: marryxiao on January 30, 2015, 12:55:45 AM

Welcome to the board!

agibson

I wonder what video coverage will be?  I see some ESPN3 links up for Saturday league games, but not for this game.  Just when I was getting used to ESPN3 (and expecting to use the archive... *sigh*), are we back on the Horizon League Network?   I know at least a few league games this season have been shown the "old fashioned" way.  But, I don't see any sign of _archived_ HLN games.  The policy always used to be "non-conference games don't get archived, but conference games do".

Seems like the league owes us an explanation of their new video policy.  The weekly notes still have boiler plate about everything being on HLN.

Did I miss something?

classof2014

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 30, 2015, 09:21:43 AM
They haven't had a season over .500 and under Moore they've won 13 games in conference play.

I knew it was bad but I didn't realize it was that bad... To put this in perspective since Moore took over at UIC, Valpo has won a total of 54 conference games, twice winning 13 or more games. Bryce alone has won 42 games and has one less year at the helm than Moore, UIC doesn't even belong in D1, the program is an absolute joke...

covufan

Quote from: agibson on January 30, 2015, 10:07:01 AMSeems like the league owes us an explanation of their new video policy.  The weekly notes still have boiler plate about everything being on HLN.
Maybe someone needs to send an email to LeCrone.  There should have been some announcement.  Maybe someone in our AD office can relay the message.

valporun

For Howard Moore, it is hard to recruit Chicago basketball players to stay home and play locally for a team that isn't winning. After the 2004 season, UIC really hit hard times when some of Chicago's best players spurned the Flames and DePaul for the bright lights of the major conferences and ESPN exposure, or the jump from the Chicago Public League to the NBA. UIC is also a hard sell to some parents because of location of the school, the academics, and in some ways, wanting to get their sons out of the area, and exposed to places they could never easily take them to.

valporun

I think tomorrow's game is on that ASN network that is online? I know the game will be on Comcast Chicago at 2PM, probaby on CSNChicago+. I know on Direct Tv, it shows I can view it on channel 665-1 in my viewing area.

I just did some looking, and the game will be online at: http://www.americansportsnet.com/schedule?date=2015-02-06 It will be archived there, but not sure how soon after the game? Also, check your local listings for any sports channels that may carry the game.

Kyle321n

Quote from: valporun on January 30, 2015, 10:32:13 AM
I think tomorrow's game is on that ASN network that is online? I know the game will be on Comcast Chicago at 2PM, probaby on CSNChicago+. I know on Direct Tv, it shows I can view it on channel 665-1 in my viewing area.

I just did some looking, and the game will be online at: http://www.americansportsnet.com/schedule?date=2015-02-06 It will be archived there, but not sure how soon after the game? Also, check your local listings for any sports channels that may carry the game.

If you have Comcast in the Chicago area that'll be channel 201. It also appears that it'll be on 390, which I believe would be one of the channel 13s on the old rabbit ears. Something like 13-1 or 13-2

agibson

Quote from: valporun on January 30, 2015, 10:32:13 AM

Thanks.  And, now that the game notes are up, they have some of that info as well.  (It wasn't linked, as of this morning, from the HL schedule page.)

I didn't realize ASN had an online presence - a pleasant surprise.  And nice that there's some hope for an archive.

When I saw the Horizon League ASN release (at least they did put one out there!), I didn't notice the "Plus", if they included it, in "Comcast SportsNet Chicago Plus".  Is that a new, second network?  Or just renamed?  I'll have to check my cable package (Comcast in Valpo).

valporun

CSNChicago+ is like a second channel for nights when any of the Chicago teams overlap coverage, and WGN isn't picking up the coverage.

a3uge

Sports streaming in the US is a joke. Valuations of everything sports is skyrocketing due to the live nature of viewership and the impossibility of skipping commercials. But streaming is still in the dark ages. Streams are still laggy and run on a 2 minute delay from real life. Many games are blacked out or inaccessible even if you have paid for every service possible. I have NBA League Pass and couldn't watch Bucks @ Magic in Indy because my ISP recorded a geolocation in Florida. MLB.TV hasn't changed in 8 years and, if anything, the service has gotten worse. ESPN3 didn't work with DirectTV for years, even if you had access to every ESPN channel. Even the major streaming services still don't support common interfaces like Chromecast, XBox, PlayStation, or Roku.

Since ONE cable company in Indy offers the regional Chicago Sports Net, the entire market will probably be blacked out of the game online like they do with baseball.

valpo4life

I could easily be wrong, but I have a hard time believing HLN won't have this game available to watch online like we've all been able to do the previous seasons. I know our games at UIC the past season or two have been on Comcast Sports Network Chicago, were those games available to stream live? I can't remember if they were or not.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo4life on January 30, 2015, 01:47:13 PM
I could easily be wrong, but I have a hard time believing HLN won't have this game available to watch online like we've all been able to do the previous seasons. I know our games at UIC the past season or two have been on Comcast Sports Network Chicago, were those games available to stream live? I can't remember if they were or not.

HLN hasn't broadcasted a single conference game this year. The game will be on American Sports Network: http://www.americansportsnet.com/schedule but it remains to be seen which markets will be blacked out.

wh

Three of us will be at the game.  The alumni assoc. had tickets for $10, but by the time I got around to calling they were sold out.  Looks like tickets at the door are 20-25. 

covufan

Preview:

http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/news/2014-15/14306/valpo-looks-for-win-20-saturday/#.VMv03zYcSUk

From the pdf game notes:

On Pace for 1,000
- Sophomore Alec Peters is near pace to become the first sophomore
in Crusader history to reach the 1,000 point milestone.
- Peters enters Saturday's game with 840 points and would need to
average 17.8 ppg over the Crusaders' guaranteed nine remaining
games to hit 1,000.
- For comparison, Bryce Drew had 912 points through his first two
seasons in a Valpo uniform.

Hmmm.  Doubt this would happen, but what if Bryce kept Alec out of games where the outcome was already decided, and Alec didn't get enough minutes or points to get to the 1000 mark?  I'm sure there will be some kidding around during practice once we get closer to the 1000 point mark.

wh

Smj

Any good bars in walking distance from the game?    I want to get there early and watch the Wisconsin game. ...