• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ UIC - Saturday 1/31/15, 2PM

Started by covufan, January 29, 2015, 12:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: wh on January 30, 2015, 03:22:48 PMThree of us will be at the game.  The alumni assoc. had tickets for $10, but by the time I got around to calling they were sold out.  Looks like tickets at the door are 20-25.

I have one of those $10 tickets purchased from the alumni association. Not to rub it in, wh.   ;)

I'm sure it will be an enjoyable game at the Pavillion. It will be good to see Jay Harris one more time. His eligibility will expire after this season so this is Jay's last game against Valpo.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

They could, hypothetically, meet again in the HL tournament couldn't they?  Valpo is going to have more fans then UIC tomorrow I bet.

ml2

Smj,

The Alumni Association group (100+ people) will be at:

Union Park Chicago Sports Bar
228 S Racine
Chicago, Ill 60607

...starting at 11:30. This is just two blocks straight north from the Pavilion.

crusadermoe

What is the alumni association?    Are there dues?   Who elects them?  I remember a ballot for the alumni visiting campus back in the early 90s.   But I haven't seen one of those in Homecoming weekend for a long time.

FWalum

Quote from: crusadermoe on January 31, 2015, 07:41:41 AM
What is the alumni association? See below   Are there dues? No   Who elects them? alumni I remember a ballot for the alumni visiting campus back in the early 90s.   But I haven't seen one of those in Homecoming weekend for a long time.
As someone who has been fairly involved with the association, these links might help Alumni and Friends and VUAA Board of Directors
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Quote from: usc4valpo on January 30, 2015, 08:52:40 AM
Wow, UIC basketball is really struggling a past few years. What is going on with that program?

I usually go onto the opponents fan forum and read how they perceive or analyze Valpo.  Right now, the UIC board doesn't even mention our game.  There is no fan base or interest.  Most likely Valpo will have more fans in the Pavilion 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

That is actually pretty sad. Chicago is recently a poor college basketball community, which is bizarre as the talent coming from the Chicago Public League is legendary (and you can say overhyped at times).  UIC is awful, DePaul sucks and plays in a dump, Northwestern sucks and plays in a dump, Loyola is kind of mediocre, and forget about Chicago State.  If you consider Valpo as part of Chicagoland, they are easily the best team.  Three decades ago it was a great town for college hoops.

I suggest 2 great restaurants not far from the concrete college that destoyed Maxwell St.:

Rosal's on Taylor St. - my favorite all time Italian restaurant

http://www.rosals.com/

the Greek Islands in Greektown

http://www.greekislands.net/

if you go to the Greek Islands, go to the bakery down the street and consume some insane baklava!

FWalum

Anybody know what is up with the American Sports Network video stream and if it is suppose to be live or if we can just watch the replay?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

nkvu

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

sliman

Not even a schedule will come up on my computer, but fortunately I can watch in via Comcast Chicago.  Bad news is that UIC looks much better than they did in Valpo, especially shooting.  We can't afford to let up our intensity on defense.

valpotx

Glad to see that I am not the only one with issues pulling up the video.  It also doesn't pull up the Schedule part for me, to let me watch...
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: FWalum on January 31, 2015, 02:10:40 PM
Anybody know what is up with the American Sports Network video stream and if it is suppose to be live or if we can just watch the replay?
it appears to only be replay. Directv has it on 640 and 681.

valpo64

Ridiculous!!!     Another feather in the cap for the Horizon League.  It "mid-major", that's for sure.

BigDFromUIC

Quote from: valporun on January 30, 2015, 10:24:43 AMUIC is also a hard sell to some parents because of location of the school, the academics, and in some ways, wanting to get their sons out of the area, and exposed to places they could never easily take them to.

What is wrong with UIC academics?  What school in the HL is better that UIC academically?...and use numbers to support your position please.

UIC may be a hard sell, but that's a BS excuse...our leadership has been  :censored: for the past decade.  Coach Moore isn't getting the job done and that's the end of it...100+ losses over 5 seasons?  If coaches can get players to play in Youngstown, Cleveland, Detroit, and any other HL town, and have way more success than UIC, than why is it so out of reach for us..in the best city in the HL?  I have had enough....seriously...there better be changes after this season.  Moore got a completely unwarranted extension....the result of our leaders thinking success is a .500 season and a trip to the CIT. 

Congrats on your win today.

Btw, your board would be dead if you went through what we've gone through over the last 10+ years.

valpo64

Is anyone watching the game on this shoestring network?   Does anyone else have it?  any score update?

covufan

Quote from: valpo64 on January 31, 2015, 02:48:28 PM
Is anyone watching the game on this shoestring network?   Does anyone else have it?  any score update?
39-25 at halftime.

ValpoFan

I think the game is blacked out on the network because it is on TV. CSN chicago. Channel 201 if you have comcast.

valpotx

I guess that it is good that Valpo will NEVER go through a decade like UIC is currently, so we won't have to find out who the true fans are (3 losing seasons in the last 20).  We simply have too much of a name in Men's Basketball to go through such a thing, especially with Bryce still as our coach.  No school in the HL gets more national attention than Valpo in this sport, as every year we have our main claim to fame shown repeatedly on national TV and/or commercials. 

I won't even touch the academic question, as it is pretty obvious...
"Don't mess with Texas"

BigDFromUIC

"I won't even touch the academic question, as it is pretty obvious..."
It certainly isn't....which is why I want someone to explain it to me....

FWalum

Quote from: covufan on January 31, 2015, 02:26:52 PM

Quote from: FWalum on January 31, 2015, 02:10:40 PM
it appears to only be replay. Directv has it on 640 and 681.
I have DirecTV but unfortunately not the $130 Premier package which is the only package that has those 2 channels.  This lack of streaming, when it appears that this was suppose to be available, really stinks and I am going to let the HL hear about it.  Here it is right on the schedule 

valpopal

WiscoCrusader

Ummm... UIC average ACT is 21.
Valpo average ACT score is 26.

I could go on with more stats but I don't see the point in embarrassing UIC any further.

valpotx

I will say that public schools always try to claim that since many of them have PhD/Research programs, that it means they have a solid academic school.  That is simply not the case...

No one is saying that UIC is a bad school, but it is not the best school in the HL, when looking at academic reputation.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

Man, barely escaped that game 70-65.  It sucked having to listen to this second half, without watching it as well.  It just felt like we would blow it, not seeing how we were missing shots.
"Don't mess with Texas"