• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Different Look at the HL Standings

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 05, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 08, 2015, 09:21:12 PM
Quote from: historyman on February 08, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 08, 2015, 06:37:03 PMI didn't see the defending champs, UWM in the bracket?

Do you sit back and laugh your head off after you post these questions?

They seem like innocent questions but this is your third "you-don't-know-but-you-should-know" question?

;D  I was being sarcastic, it was a joke.  What were the other two questions, "I should have known?"
I remember a question about why Adekoya wasn't playing against some opponent and since the party on Lind Lane situation had been discussed forever it seemed very obvious. There was another one but I can't seem to remember it.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

I honestly missed that one.  I think those discussions were on the non basketball tab and I missed it.  I remember seeing things from alumni's Facebook who still live in valpo in regards to the bust but that was it. 

The uwm was a joke.  Should have put the smilie face on.....

The not understanding kempe red shirting more than most coaches is a honest question.   
CRUSADERS!!!

covufan

Quote from: HC on February 08, 2015, 05:22:18 PM
Then there's that little game at CSU that could very well be a winner take all.
we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves, but this could be a very accurate prediction.

LaPorteAveApostle

GB still on top, because they have a game in hand. I know...I think this system is more accurate at the beginning of a season but less so as you go on, and then finally they're identical.  But if we win the games we're supposed to, then it won't matter coming up.

Only change in the prospective bracket is that now UIC would host WSU.  Yes, that's how far WSU has fallen, that now UIC will host a first-round playoff game.

Our win at WSU looks a lot less impressive when FOUR OTHER TEAMS IN CONFERENCE have it too (and counting).

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

LaPorteAveApostle

well the win at UWM looks to be pretty impressive now.

here's the bracket--I would rather see Oakland in the 4 spot, but that'll be decided this week...

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

OK... 8 games left in the HL regular season... PICK THE WINNERS

2/25    Valpo @ Detroit                                 valpo
2/25    Youngstown State @ Oakland            oakland

2/26   Milwaukee @ Wright State                  wright
2/26   Green Bay @ UIC                               GB

2/27   Valpo @ Cleveland State                    valpo

2/28:  Oakland @ Green Bay                        GB (but only because it's senior night)
2/28:  Wright State @ UIC                           wright
2/28:  Milwaukee @ Youngstown State        milwaukee (last game of the year)

classof2014

Valpo @ Detroit  --- Valpo
Youngstown St @ Oakland --- Oakland

Milwaukee @ Wright St --- Milwaukee
Green Bay @ UIC --- Green Bay

Valpo @ Cleveland St --- Valpo

Oakland @ Green Bay --- Green Bay
Wright St @ UIC --- UIC
Milwaukee @ Youngstown St --- Milwaukee

Kyle321n

Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2015, 08:21:33 AM
OK... 8 games left in the HL regular season... PICK THE WINNERS

2/25    Valpo @ Detroit                                 valpo
2/25    Youngstown State @ Oakland            oakland

2/26   Milwaukee @ Wright State                  wright
2/26   Green Bay @ UIC                               GB

2/27   Valpo @ Cleveland State                    valpo

2/28:  Oakland @ Green Bay                        GB (but only because it's senior night)
2/28:  Wright State @ UIC                           wright
2/28:  Milwaukee @ Youngstown State        milwaukee (last game of the year)

I think this should be a new thread, but here's mine.

2/25    Valpo @ Detroit
2/25    Youngstown State @ Oakland

2/26   Milwaukee @ Wright State
2/26   Green Bay @ UIC

2/27   Valpo @ Cleveland State

2/28:  Oakland @ Green Bay
2/28:  Wright State @ UIC
2/28:  Milwaukee @ Youngstown State
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

talksalot

and there is a new "Predictions" thread... can someone move these two posts?   don't know how to do that...

justducky

Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2015, 09:14:05 AMand there is a new "Predictions" thread... can someone move these two posts?   don't know how to do that...
It is reassuring to know that I am not the only dummy on this board.

historyman

I had someone take this picture of me because I couldn't figure out how to take a selfie.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

another year in the books:

and, speaking of "week finis", how about YSU, everybody?  rimshot.mp3

also, how sad would it be to be a YSU or WSU season ticket holder?  one win the last 2 months.  they even had the gall to beat each other while on the road. that's...that's something.

everyone who had "UIC hosting a playoff game this decade" in the pool, now's your chance to collect...what?  oh.  well it rolls over to next year then.

valpotx

For the people that were bragging on Loyola being 10-2 to start the season, and the 'right choice' for the MVC, they finished 7-10 in conference, and 17-12 overall.  Valpo was obviously the better option ;)
"Don't mess with Texas"

oklahomamick

I wished it would have happened....I know Wichita st. and N. Iowa are a league above us but I'm sure we could find a way to beat them from time to time as we did butler in their hay day.  The rest of mvc we could edge out.

Isn't there suppose to be news about additions to the HL shortly after March madness?  Wish the news was valpo leaving for mvc not that n. Kentucky was joining the HL. 
CRUSADERS!!!

Kyle321n

Since LAA is gone I'll take over this since it's always fun to look at.

hailcrusaders

Should Milwaukee be +1 instead of -1? 2 home losses, 3 road wins? Perhaps I misunderstand the system.

Standings get a little funny when teams like Oakland don't believe in home court advantage.
#CrusadersForever

agibson

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 01, 2016, 03:14:16 PMStandings get a little funny when teams like Oakland don't believe in home court advantage.

Happily Valpo's also no great respecter of home-court advantage this season.

Kyle321n

Quote from: hailcrusaders on February 01, 2016, 03:14:16 PM
Should Milwaukee be +1 instead of -1? 2 home losses, 3 road wins? Perhaps I misunderstand the system.

Yep. I screwed up the math in my head on that one. It's fixed in the post.

Kyle321n

Kyle321n

Week 7 Standings

Don't look now, but Green Bay is setting themselves up for run on a double bye. They finished their road schedule this weekend and while they currently have 6 losses only one of those have come at the Resch. The problem for this version of the standings, they can't gain anymore points, only lose points. On the other side of the ledger, Detroit has finished their home schedule, so they can move up the alternate standings easily with wins, that said the 5-4 record on the Dickie V court doesn't bode well for a good final 4 games.

Congrats to UIC and Northern Kentucky. They went a whole week without gaining or losing a point.

HC

UIC has the longest current win streak....let that soak in for a minute

78crusader

I remain optimistic, but this whole thing could unravel for us.  Oakland is thumping Wright State tonight and I don't see Oakland losing again in the regular season unless we beat them Friday night.  If we don't, then we would have to sweep our road trip at Milw and GB in order to hold remain alone at the top --assuming we take care of Cleveland St tomorrow night and Detroit on Senior Day.  If we lose to Oakland and then lose one of those other four games, we would likely wind up in a tie for the title.  That is bad since Oakland would get the #1 seed since they own the tiebreaker -- they beat Wright St twice and we didn't.

That means Wright St would probably get the #3 seed, and to win the league tournament we would have to beat WSU and Oakland on consecutive nights -- and the way we've been playing, that is not a bet that I would jump at.

Paul

historyman

Quote from: historyman on February 02, 2016, 04:08:38 PMI could see UIC with Odiase and Dixson making a nice run at the end of the season and in the tournament as the Flames did with Harris last year. Please knock out Oakland and Detroit in that order.  ;)

Quote from: HC on February 15, 2016, 05:02:40 PM
UIC has the longest current win streak....let that soak in for a minute

I think someone here pretty much said this would happen.

Kyle321n

I'm glad winning the second half against us kick started their run. Good thing we had that 20 point lead in the first half.

Kyle321n

Week 7.5 Standings

Figured with every team playing games in the first half of the week we needed a half week update. That and there was some shifting in the middle of the pack. Oakland, with the win vs. WSU jumps up to the 3rd spot.