• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/14 - Milwaukee @ ARC

Started by talksalot, January 10, 2016, 07:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

To me it showed that even a mediocre effort was good enough to beat one of the best in the conference.  Nice game and taught  us to go with other then traditional paths to victory.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpolaw

Fun game to watch.  Free throw shooting also seems to be a weakness that rears its ugly head randomly for us, especially on the front end of a one and one.  We'll need to step that up to give us an advantage is close games.

Is EVN still hurt/recovering?  I only recall seeing him on the floor for a very short period.     

nkvu

"Carter 8 of 8 free throws in conference". Misses next three. " Peters almost automatic" - misses front end of one for one. When will announcers learn they totally jinx players when they they say these things before free throws.  Guys. Please. Wait until after free throws to say these things. 

justducky

Quote from: valpolaw on January 14, 2016, 09:58:09 PMIs EVN still hurt/recovering?  I only recall seeing him on the floor for a very short period.
As fragile as he has been I suspect that Bryce is in no hurry to return him to extensive bruising action. Getting him some playing time coming down the stretch run that prepares him for the post season might be all we need to ask from him.

I don't think EVN knows how to play cautiously so maybe he is being protected from himself. That said Hammink still makes me nervous when he is playing as the backup point. Of course so does EVN.

Valpower

Quote from: valpolaw on January 14, 2016, 09:58:09 PM
Fun game to watch.  Free throw shooting also seems to be a weakness that rears its ugly head randomly for us, especially on the front end of a one and one.  We'll need to step that up to give us an advantage is close games.

Is EVN still hurt/recovering?  I only recall seeing him on the floor for a very short period.     
I've often noticed that when Valpo returns home from a critical and hot-shooting road trip that the first game back home they shoot poorly.  I've also noted that when EVN tries to work his way back into the lineup after an injury, he tries too hard and plays sloppy.  I don't know about the injury, but I suspect that if he played, he's healed, right?

bbtds

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 14, 2016, 10:19:08 AM
Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 14, 2016, 07:14:16 AM
Our chances of going 18-0 are just so ridiculously low.  I know we played well last weekend, but you know how it goes.  There are always those one or two games when all of our shots are rimming out and the other team can't miss even with a hand in their face.  Or there will be a game when the refs are extremely whistle happy and we get in foul trouble in conjunction with a few guys being sick our are out with minor injuries.  It is just the nature of the beast over a tough conference season.

Milwaukee probably matches up "man for man" with us better than any other team in the Horizon.  They have decent size and strength, a pass first point guard, and a few guys that can really bury 3's when they are on.  I expect this will be a win, because we are playing at home.  However, I think they will probably get us when we play them in Milwaukee.   

Hey, Butler did it one year. Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you. Yes I can!

Even the liberals did it, one year!  ;)  Yes, they can!

oklahomamick

With about six minutes to play Bryce let off the gas.  This disrupted the game and we looked bad.  We could have beaten them by 20.
CRUSADERS!!!

WiscoCrusader

Previous comment redacted.  I misread BB's original post.  Sorry BB!

And Go Valpo!!!

bbtds

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on January 14, 2016, 11:44:20 PM
BBTDS - Since you brought politics into the discussion...

If you really think "the Liberals" winning the White House was a scenario which involved "ridiculously low" odds, you are in for a rude awakening in the next 100-200 years. 

Welcome to the Demographic awakening.

And Go Valpo!!!

I didn't really mean to bring politics into it. I just thought it was interesting that Just Sayin used a phrase or something similar to a phrase that is well known as being used by a group that I'm pretty sure he doesn't appreciate as much as others on this board do. Just yankin' a chain or two.

I suddenly feel the cold chill of serious political leanings. Relax! Can't we poke a little and have some fun?

Oh, yes, GO VALPO---right, I'm mean directly down the middle.

StlVUFan

Quote from: nkvu on January 14, 2016, 10:10:27 PM
"Carter 8 of 8 free throws in conference". Misses next three. " Peters almost automatic" - misses front end of one for one. When will announcers learn they totally jinx players when they they say these things before free throws.  Guys. Please. Wait until after free throws to say these things. 
:lol:

oklahomamick

So Vashil was our best free throw shooter last night. 

Honest, I think we could have drove and scored at will. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I thought the same thing as soon as the announcer was mentioning Alec's FT prowess.  I literally said out loud, 'he is going to miss it now.'  Even though it obviously has not real effect on our FT ability, it is amazing how that works sometimes. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

Couple of quick thoughts:

1. A pretty convincing win against a pretty good team without much offense from our star and not a great overall performance on that end of the floor from anyone other than Vashil. But this is what happens when you bring hustle and defense every night. You're able to overcome nights when your star is off. Teams like Oakland cannot.

2. Very disappointing crowd last night.

ValpoFan

Why is Bryce forcing Shane Hammink to be a backup PG?
Don't we have Max and Lexus to do that when Carter needs a break?

I am not questioning Bryce's wisdom, just trying to understand.

vu72

Quote from: ValpoFan on January 15, 2016, 10:34:20 AM

Fair question.  First, Lexus is not the Lexus of old and may never be.  The injury has left him a step slow and he isn't very big to begin with.  Shane adds things that at this point Max doesn't have.  He is bigger and a very good defender.  He also has the ability to drive and score that we haven't seen from Max.  Shane will be a very good scorer once he gets his confidence in his 3 point shot.  Just my opinion.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on January 15, 2016, 10:09:46 AM
Couple of quick thoughts:

1. A pretty convincing win against a pretty good team without much offense from our star and not a great overall performance on that end of the floor from anyone other than Vashil. But this is what happens when you bring hustle and defense every night. You're able to overcome nights when your star is off. Teams like Oakland cannot.

2. Very disappointing crowd last night.

I thought the same thing... Well about both points. The student section seemed alright, but there were many seats open in the upper deck.

SanityLost17

I was also curious about the back up point guard situation.  Max is very good at not turning the ball over and is a pretty good defender as well.  Having him as the backup point until EVN returns to 100% might make the offense run a little smoother.  I am sure Shane can pick up minutes elsewhere.  Of course, maybe EVN won't be healthy this year, Bryce doesn't have minutes anywhere else for Shane, and he thinks Shane will be a really good backup point by the end of the season (growing pains now).   

This team will be really hard to stop if/when Carter starts finishing his drives to the basket with a greater percentage (to go along with his excellent passing); and when we figure out who our backup point is going to be for 8-10 minutes a game.   

valpolaw

Quote from: SanityLost17 on January 15, 2016, 11:17:13 AMThis team will be really hard to stop if/when Carter starts finishing his drives to the basket with a greater percentage (to go along with his excellent passing);

Agree--especially if Keith can start hitting free throws at a high percentage. 

a3uge

Quote from: ValpoFan on January 15, 2016, 10:34:20 AM

Shane needs work on handling the ball and will be very valuable later in the season with his defense and size. Bryce did the same thing last year with Nickerson, who struggled on offense early on. Although Max Joseph was a better point guard, he stuck with Nickerson and it paid off late in the year. Remember Nickerson blowing by Sykes in the Championship Game to seal the victory? I think having Shane handle some point is a good thing, as it will improve his weakest portion of his game - handling the ball and being out of control.

Lexus is just too undersized and doesnt provide what Bryce wants with his bench, which is good defense and size, especially when Jubril replaces Vashil.

HC

Shane had a nice second half when he was running the point.  I don't feel comfortable with him (or EVN) handling the ball when the opponents are putting pressure on the ball handler.  Of course if that were to happen I'm confident that Valpo would use their size to pass the ball over the top of the defense.  All that said, I'd rather he be handling the ball then see Max out there while the game is in doubt.  He has less game on the offensive end then Buggs did. 

It should be pretty obvious now that even though Milwaukee had similar size they do not have the athletes that Valpo has. 

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 15, 2016, 11:10:16 AMThe student section seemed alright, but there were many seats open in the upper deck.

It's true, there were certainly plenty of empty seats.  But, for a work night (if not a school night for Valpo public schools), I didn't think the crowd was too bad.  Not building as much as I'd like, to be sure, for a team receiving votes and playing a decent opponent.  But, only modestly disappointing, perhaps?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if any of our conference opponents are really going to draw fans in numbers.  Is Felder famous enough?  We've had rumblings of a rivalry with Oakland and Detroit, but I'm not sure anything enough to draw folks out.

A national ranking would help, I hope...  Maybe by the end of the season?

2619.  Not as many as Belmont (3379 - better quality opponent a draw?), but more than any "school night" home game last season.

TV games seem to help... but is ESPNU, when Oakland comes to town, the closest we get to a big TV game at the ARC?  That's moderately disappointing, as well.

valpo64

Shane is "getting there" but still has the tendency to play  out of control at times.  It also seems to me that when he is on the point, he doesn't look for Alec enough.  I don't understand why we don't look for Alec more often.  If he is open early in a possession, I think we should get the ball to him and give him the green light to shoot.

FWalum

Quote from: valpo64 on January 15, 2016, 04:17:21 PM
Shane is "getting there" but still has the tendency to play  out of control at times.  It also seems to me that when he is on the point, he doesn't look for Alec enough.  I don't understand why we don't look for Alec more often.  If he is open early in a possession, I think we should get the ball to him and give him the green light to shoot.
I agree that it seems that we aren't very good at getting the ball to Alex in the post where he many times seems to have an obvious mismatch, our entry passes require improvement. On the other hand I think the strength of this team is that we don't need Alec to carry the scoring load. I am sure he has the green light to shoot... but he doesn't have to, especially early in possessions.  We have many other options that can score in the context of the offense.  I think it has become obvious, especially this season, that when we need a bucket or a shift in momentum the ball ends up in Tevonn's hands. Having so many players that on any given night can be the difference maker is a real luxury.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Some Vines from the game.

[tweet]688165225007194116[/tweet]

[tweet]688168518609551362[/tweet]

[Tweet]688175107043233792[/tweet]

[tweet]688211571659554817[/tweet]