• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Alec Peters - Junior edition

Started by wh, January 11, 2016, 03:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wh

Valpo's Peters, YSU's Morse and UIC's Dixson Collect Men's Basketball Honors

Craig Hammel ยท
January 11, 2016

INDIANAPOLIS -- Valparaiso junior forward Alec Peters (Washington, Ill./Washington) and Youngstown State sophomore guard Cameron Morse (Flint, Mich./Carman-Ainsworth) have been named Co-Horizon League Men's Basketball Players of the Week, while UIC freshman forward Dikembe Dixson (Freeport, Ill./Mingo Central) has been named the Horizon League Freshman of the Week.

Peters recorded double-doubles in both of Valparaiso's wins last week to claim his first Player of the Week honor this season. The junior forward opened the weekend with 15 points and 11 rebounds as the Crusaders won at Oakland, 84-67.

On Sunday, Peters had a career-day as he matched Valpo's modern-era scoring record with 39 points in the Crusaders 92-74 win at Detroit. He also set another career-high with 14 rebounds in the win as he now has five double-doubles in the last seven games.

For the week, Peters averaged 27.0 points and 12.5 rebounds in two Valparaiso wins. He shot 60 percent (18-of-30) from the field and 93.3 percent (14-of-15) from the foul line.

Valparaiso (13-3, 3-0) returns home this week and will host Milwaukee (12-5, 3-1) on Thursday and Green Bay (10-6, 3-1) on Saturday.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/valpos-peters-ysus-morse-and-uics-dixson-collect-mens-basketball-honors

wh

wh

LOU HENSON AWARD "PLAYER OF THE WEEK" HONORS
[return to collegeinsider.com]

Jan. 11, 2016

BOSTON (MA) -- Valparaiso's Alec Peters earns Lou Henson award national player of the week honors.

The 6-foot-9 junior helped the Crusaders to a pair of road wins last week. Against Oakland, Peters posted his fifth double-double of the season with 15 points and 11 rebounds. He closed out the week with a career-high 39 points and career-best 14 rebounds.

The Lou Henson Award is presented annually to the top Mid-Major player in Division I college basketball.

The award is named in honor of Lou Henson who retired after a spectacular coaching career that lasted 41 years. When he left the game in 2005 he was sixth all-time in career Division I wins with 779. He is the winningest coach at both Illinois and New Mexico State. He is one of only 12 coaches in the history of the game to take two schools to the Final Four.

WEEKLY HONORS

Week 9 (Jan. 11) Alec Peters (Valparaiso)
Week 8 (Jan. 4) Anthony Beane (Southern Illinois) & Chris Hass (Bucknell)
Week 7 (Dec. 28) Jordan Johnson (Milwaukee)
Week 6 (Dec. 21) Kahlil Felder (Oakland)
Week 5 (Dec. 14) Kahlil Felder (Oakland)
Week 4 (Dec. 7) D.J. Balentine (Evansville) & A.J. English (Iona)
Week 3 (Nov. 30) Quincy Ford (Northeastern) & Justin Robinson (Monmouth)
Week 2 (Nov. 23) Kahlil Felder (Oakland)
Week 1 (Nov. 16) Rashun Davis (Radford)

wh

I have it from a reliable source that Alec's family follows the board, so let me be first to offer my personal congratulations to Alec on this newest honor!  What a great young man, outstanding athlete, and wonderful representative he is for everything Valpo!

vu84v2

I don't know much about Alec Peters outside of basketball, but I second the comment that Alec is a wonderful representative for Valparaiso (he certainly is on the basketball court). I love him scoring like he did against Detroit, but I am always impressed that he keeps his play within the team's overall play.

valpo64

Alec is a "chip off the ol' block" as he is a product of a fine, outstanding family.  They all represent Valparaiso University well.

wh

Ranking Top 100 (and 1) college hoops players for first 2 months

http://www.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/25447385/ranking-top-100-and-1-college-hoops-players-for-first-2-months

81. Alec Peters | F | Valparaiso (PR: NR): Peters was another one of the final players I left off of last month's list. Since then, he's been nothing short of remarkable. On the season, the Crusaders' stretch-four is averaging 17.9 points and 7.9 rebounds while shooting 50 percent from the field, 43 percent from beyond the 3-point line, and 88.5 percent from the free-throw line. If that seems pretty outrageous, that's because it is.

In the previous 20 seasons preceding this one, there have only been seven players to average 17 points with a shooting slash-line of 50/40/88. This year, Peters is one of four players along with Buddy Hield, Isaiah Miles and Zeek Woodley to be on pace to do this. It's also worth noting that Peters is only the second player listed at 6-foot-9 or taller in those 20 years to have either accomplished this or be on pace to do so.

Obviously, shooting percentages tend to go down as seasons progress because of team familiarity in league play. But that's the kind of air that we're in with Peters right now. And that's what makes him so incredibly valuable even in the Horizon League.

valpo64

Congratulations, Alec!!  You indeed are a great representative of Valpo and all of the positive things for which our
school stands.

wh

Looking forward to another POW honor for Alec:

3-0 for the week
63 points (21 PPG)
35 rebounds (12 RPG)
19-29FG (66%)
8-14 3FG (57%)
17-20 FT (85%))
3 double doubles

Edit: I forgot we had a 3-game week. Numbers changed accordingly. Equally impressive!

talksalot

Quote from: wh on February 21, 2016, 08:59:49 PM48 points (24 PPG)25 rebounds (12.5RPG)13-19 FG (68%)7-11 3FG (64%)15-18 FT (83%)2 double doubles

oh, and two wins and little conference championship...

valpo64

Alec is a class act in every way...on the floor, in the classroom, as a representative of the University...a winner in every way!

wh

Quote from: ValpoHoops on February 22, 2016, 05:06:07 PM
Alec named CBS Sports Player of the Week

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25491356/valpos-alec-peters-wins-cbs-sports-national-player-of-the-week

Wow, top weekly performer in D-1!  I never thought I would see the day...

"Alec Peters is on a stacked Valpo team that could do damage in the NCAAs."

78crusader

"Best mid-major team in the country."

I do think we still have a chance for an at large.

Paul

agibson

This CBS guy seems to like mid-majors, though it's gone to majors a couple of times.

"Best player on the best mid-major team in the country", that's almost the Paul Oren POTY criteria.

Nice to win an award Felder hasn't. To go with the championship plaque, that is.

HC

Plaque(s)....it should be plural right? I'm a math teacher so I'm not real great with words.

VULB#62

Let's see if the HL official web site highlights this great honor as they did Felder on the Wooden watch list earlier this season.  I would submit that this honor also honors the HL. The league should be running with this and making hay with it.

Now, if we don't see this featured on the HL site, I would suggest that those on this board who perceive a bias against Valpo by a certain segment of the league (and league leadership) might have something to pin their feeling on.

VULB#62

On one hand, I am very glad they gave it the space it deserves.

On the the other, I kinda wish that they would have ignored it, and by doing that, give greater imptius to VU to get out of the HL.

This is just me, but I'd feel much better if Valpo was fighting for a middle of the conference placing and occasionally pushing for the top in an annually, nationally respected conference, than in a regressing league that has a bottom half that drags down the top into a mediocre level of respect (if that).

Stupid question of the day: what if the top two Sumitt leagues teams were to replace the bottom two HL teams?  RPIOLOLOGISTS:  where would we be right now?????

HC

Can we not turn this into a another pointless conference affiliation/conference additions thread please.

VULB#62

Of course we can. We are darned good at it  ;)

wh

Another POW-worthy week for Alec. Great numbers in leading the Crusaders to 2 road wins against worthy opponents. Felder had a good points/assist game at home against Detroit, but Alec's shooting efficiency was much better.