• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/16 - Green Bay @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, January 15, 2016, 11:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

OK... last night is over.  One a time.  Green Bay, Saturday night on "90's throw back" night... rather disconcerting since all I have to do is look in my closet and I'm all set.   First 1,000 fans get a 90's t-shirt.

Interesting post-game with Luke Gore last night discussing the speed of GB with their average offensive possession being something like 13 seconds?  So... why did they only beat UIC by 2?

HC

I'm excited for this one.  I'm bringing my middle school basketball team from Lake Ridge to see this one, stop by and say hi.  We should be easy to spot.  Green Bay has some size and some athletes and outside of Oakland, I think will be our top contender. 

I will go with a 77-64 Valpo Vicotry.

covufan

If we continue playing great defense and hitting the boards, we should be AOK.  Now, those FTs...

Valpo    82
UWGB   64

Valpower

Of course, most of the Phoenix phaithful recognize that we're having a good year with a good team, but this one from the Green Bay board made me chuckle:

Quote from: @uscg2012Valpo beat a bad Oregon state team and everyone wants to crown them as the next game thing. Don't believe it

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 01:27:43 PM
so here's the Green Bay side of the story on last night's UIC game...

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=210636344

I fixed it for them:

Senior Jordan Fouse made a valiant effort towards a quadruple-double, finishing with 10 points, seven rebounds, six assists and a noticeable five blocks.  But didn't come close.

wh

covufan

Quote from: valpospartan on January 15, 2016, 04:17:07 PM
Quote from: talksalot on January 15, 2016, 01:27:43 PM
so here's the Green Bay side of the story on last night's UIC game...

http://www.greenbayphoenix.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=22500&ATCLID=210636344

I fixed it for them:

Senior Jordan Fouse made a valiant effort towards a quadruple-double, finishing with 10 points, seven rebounds, six assists and a noticeable five blocks.  But didn't come close.
He didn't even have a double-double!  I could see making note if he had at least 10 in three of the categories, but really?

talksalot

Green Bay is Game #18 on the season....
We are 16-13 in the past 29 years in this game #

2014-15 - Valpo 85 UIC 56 - Home
2013-14 - Wright State 62 Valpo 45 - Home
2012-13 - Valpo 76 Milwaukee 52 - Home
2011-12 - Valpo 76 Youngstown State 62 - Home
2010-11 - Valpo 71 Wright State 60 - Away
2009-10 - Valpo 70 Youngstown State 66 - Home
2008-09 - UIC 77 Valpo 52 - Away
2007-08 - Valpo 67 Youngstown State 61 - Away

valpo4life

May be getting a little cocky but I see us taking this one by 20+. I just see GB as a slightly worse version of Detroit. I know it's bold, but still...

Valpo 86
GB 63

bbtds

Quote from: valpo4life on January 15, 2016, 11:14:57 PM
May be getting a little cocky but I see us taking this one by 20+. I just see GB as a slightly worse version of Detroit. I know it's bold, but still...

Valpo 86
GB 63
I think of it as Green Bay playing defense (well, at least StL calls it that) Phoenix style. Running up and down the court pressing and fast breaking. If you can break the press and get lay ups you have solved GB's defense. I think a 20+ point win is entirely possible. I certainly would like to hear from everyone whether they thought what Green Bay plays tonight should be called defense.

agibson

We looked... not -all- that confident when Milwaukee pressed. Sometimes slow to advance the ball, sometimes apparently passing into traps, etc. not a lot of turnovers, but it didn't look very comfortable.

I'll be curious to see if we can settle down against the Phoenix.

More bench minutes, if it's high octane? Max Joseph?

HC

Valpo was up comfortably and not really looking to score when Milwaukee was pressing. I wouldn't look too much into VU's success or lack there of against their press.

humbleopinion

I'm looking forward to a tight first half and then Valpo pulling away in the second half for a win in the fifteen point range.  Green Bay will be kept under 65.

I also plan to watch the Packers recorded on my dvr when I get home.  Talksalot, no spoilers, please.
Beamin' Beacons

talksalot

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 16, 2016, 12:41:52 PMTalksalot, no spoilers, please
You are the second one to request that....it's almost like others in the area actually care!??!?   

Perhaps just the score... like 17-14... without saying who's winning?  or a Partial score... "Packers 7"

HC

How about "Welcome Lake Ridge New Tech Middle School 8th Grade basketball team."

talksalot

Are you guys playing at halftime?

bbtds

I'll predict that a team with Green Bay in it's name will lose tonight.

justducky

In a year where nobody in northwest Indiana has noticed that we have a pretty fair Div 1 basketball team a few tickets for tonights game appear to have been sold. Maybe we can exceed our opening night IPFW ticket sales which were about 4150? It is a shame that our top conference competition ( Detroit, UWM, Oakland. Wright St, and Green Bay) are all packed together in the RPI 150-175 range. It is hard to attract fans to good but not great competition.

HC

No we aren't playing. I'm treating them to the game to celebrate their success in class and on the court this season.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on January 16, 2016, 02:04:36 PM
I'll predict that a team with Green Bay in it's name will lose tonight.
Hopefully just one [emoji16]

wh

Quote from: justducky on January 16, 2016, 02:11:43 PM
In a year where nobody in northwest Indiana has noticed that we have a pretty fair Div 1 basketball team a few tickets for tonights game appear to have been sold. Maybe we can exceed our opening night IPFW ticket sales which were about 4150? It is a shame that our top conference competition ( Detroit, UWM, Oakland. Wright St, and Green Bay) are all packed together in the RPI 150-175 range. It is hard to attract fans to good but not great competition.

To save everyone the trouble, I have prepared an advance list of excuses, just in case tonight's attendance is underwhelming (which of course it will be):

*The temperature, while not bad right now, is supposed to fall to -2 sometime on Sunday.
*It's Saturday night, so the students are studying.
*There are competing student events and meetings elsewhere on campus.  Where and what are they?  No one knows.
*It's too far for the students to walk in the cold on Valpo's "walking campus."
*While 99% of NWI residents are Bears fans, they hate the Packers so much that they want to stay home and watch them lose.
*There are competing high school games tonight.  Where and how many fans are affected?  No one knows.
*ARC seating is too close to the action and concessions too inexpensive.
*The free parking isn't as close as it used to be.
*Indiana just isn't a basketball state.

Pgmado

Yes. Please no Packers spoilers. Pretty please.

wh

Student section completely packed 30 min before tipoff.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 16, 2016, 04:29:12 PM
Quote from: justducky on January 16, 2016, 02:11:43 PM

To save everyone the trouble, I have prepared an advance list of excuses, just in case tonight's attendance is underwhelming (which of course it will be):

*The temperature, while not bad right now, is supposed to fall to -2 sometime on Sunday.
*It's Saturday night, so the students are studying.
*There are competing student events and meetings elsewhere on campus.  Where and what are they?  No one knows.
*It's too far for the students to walk in the cold on Valpo's "walking campus."
*While 99% of NWI residents are Bears fans, they hate the Packers so much that they want to stay home and watch them lose.
*There are competing high school games tonight.  Where and how many fans are affected?  No one knows.
*ARC seating is too close to the action and concessions too inexpensive.
*The free parking isn't as close as it used to be.
*Indiana just isn't a basketball state.
[tweet]688522202468216833[/tweet]

Don't blame the students.