• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/16 - Green Bay @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, January 15, 2016, 11:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atkins

Our free throw shooting looks like that of a bunch of high schoolers. Against the power conference tourney teams, we won't have the luxury of slow starts and poor free throw shooting. 

vu72

Great crowd, I'd estimate 4500, watching from home.  Sloppy game yet won by 15.  We aren't going to be perfect every game!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Cold FT  start but 72% by game end. Alec and Vashil with double doubles.

a3uge

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2016, 09:07:24 PM
Great crowd, I'd estimate 4500, watching from home.  Sloppy game yet won by 15.  We aren't going to be perfect every game!
Love how bad, sloppy games are 10+ game victories. Wonder what the Horizon League record is for consecutive 10+ game victories

govalpogo

Gosh, what a pesky GB team.  Seemed like they scored 5 points in 5 seconds three separate times (maybe).  Hard to argue with a 15 pt victory over the 2nd place team...I guess I'm glad there's room for improvement and hope springs eternal for what this team can do when they hit on all cylinders!  Valpo Victory! Watch out for the YSU Giant Killers on Monday  ;)

valpolaw

Quote from: atkins on January 16, 2016, 08:03:52 PMOur free throw shooting looks like that of a bunch of high schoolers. Against the power conference tourney teams, we won't have the luxury of slow starts and poor free throw shooting. 

Agree, free throws are always problematic for us.  We made 26 of 36 free throws for 72%.  This isn't horrible, but in close games, those extra points will be needed.  Otherwise, great win tonight--just have to keep winning one at a time.

VULB#62

52-35 rebound advantage is not too shabby. FG% advantage was 48% to 32%.

agibson

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 16, 2016, 09:08:38 PM
Alec and Vashil with double doubles.

Anyone have an idea the last time we had two in a game?

agibson

Quote from: vu72 on January 16, 2016, 09:07:24 PM
Great crowd, I'd estimate 4500, watching from home. 

I was guessing they'd list it at 4800 - upper deck nicely full, but not jam packed.  Fuller than the HL Championship last year.

Listed at 4939.  Listening to conversations in the bleachers, seemed like some bandwagon fans were coming on board.  Or, at least, people from around town non-VU, who maybe used to come to games a few seasons ago, were back for the first time this season, that sort of thing.  About time!

VULB#62

Quote from: agibson on January 16, 2016, 09:48:00 PM

That's a double double double  :o

HC

Great time tonight! My team had fun and asked some great questions about college. First time almost any of them had been on a college campus.

Gym was pretty packed. Fun atmosphere, and who doesn't love all the dunks?!

VUfan

Good win, look out for Youngstown State we have a history of slow starts there. Play hard from the start. 5-0 is nice but there 13 more games to play. I think we will have play them all. keep working!!!!!!!!   ;D

hailcrusaders

Darien outplayed Tevonn for the first time in a while. Good thing I guess?
#CrusadersForever

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on January 16, 2016, 09:09:41 PMWonder what the Horizon League record is for consecutive 10+ game victories

Butler had five in a row in their undefeated 2009-10 league run, and then another double-digit win in the Bracketbuster.

I'm reminded that season included a 48-47 Butler win at RPI 200+ Loyola.  Maybe a good reminder of how hard it is (now that RPI Forecast is going to put our percent chance of going undefeated at.. 23%?).

Butler had four losses non-conference (admittedly, none of them as bad as Ball State... or even Belmont)... until the NCAA final.

agibson

Thinking of the low-scoring Butler one-point win over Loyola.

I do wonder if it would be good to play a couple of games that go down to the wire.  I won't enjoy this, and I hope it's because some other team is playing out of their mind.  But, it'd probably be good to win a couple of close ones.

I probably felt more nervous, for longer, in tonight's game than any this season.  The missed Peters FT to start didn't help, nor the home run ball that they read the whole way and stole.  Something about the pace, and the completely different VU offensive game, and the sloppy ball handling, just never let me get comfortable until... maybe that 16-5 run from about 10 minutes left until 5 minutes left.  Then it felt pretty safe, if ugly. 

I never thought we were going to lose exactly.  Just never any kind of comfortable until late in the game.

Fun to see us getting to the rack, and it was the pace of game that seemed likely against Green Bay.  But, did we let them dictate the style and tempo too much?   We won, by 15, and I guess the defense was pretty good.  Certainly the rebounding was.  Just never felt like a VU offensive groove.  Unless our groove is "whatever works"?

agibson

Quote from: HC on January 15, 2016, 11:55:37 AMI'm bringing my middle school basketball team from Lake Ridge to see this one

I wasn't familiar with the school.  Gary?  Cool!  How'd you get the gig?

justducky

Quote from: agibson on January 16, 2016, 10:09:34 PMWe won, by 15, and I guess the defense was pretty good.  Certainly the rebounding was.  Just never felt like a VU offensive groove.  Unless our groove is "whatever works"?
Once again there was little or no zone played and yes the defense was very good! Our early shooting and offensive execution left much to be desired. In the first half saw several instances of point guard play which looked to specifically open one individual and by that focus missed someone else who was briefly wide open near the bucket. That falls under the category of not being able to see the trees because of the forest.

nkvu

This year Valpo is doing what in past years has been done to them so often by higher ranked schools. That is to say in the past they could hang with those teams sometimes even into the second half but those teams would pull away to win comfortably at the end. Now Valpo is doing that to other teams. Seems to me like a nice step up for the program.

VULB#62

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 16, 2016, 09:54:04 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 16, 2016, 09:48:00 PM

That's a double double double  :o

Actually Darien was one RB away from a double double too (10 pts, 9 RBs).

That would have been a triple double double!

wh

With Valpo winning and the Packers losing, this die hard Crusader/Bears fan will sleep very comfortably tonight.  ;)

talksalot

Quote from: bbtds on January 16, 2016, 02:04:36 PMI'll predict that a team with Green Bay in it's name will lose tonight

Let's see... Final in Womens College basketball...

Green Bay 64  UIC 22

So... it wasn't a complete waste of time being a Green Bay fan!

talksalot

Consecutive double-digit wins...

2005-06

89    74    Centenary - T      6-4
95    64    Oakland - H      7-4 - Non Conference
105    73    Longwood - H      8-4 - Non Conference
80    60    Oral Roberts - H      9-4
88    72    IPFW - H     10-4
82    68    Western Illinois - T     11-4

so we did have 4 consecutive conference wins by more than 10....

someone can have fun finding the last time we did 5 in a row...

oklahomamick

This pesky Green Bay team reminded me of some of the CSU teams of the past.  The constant press, hand checking and fouling. 
CRUSADERS!!!

chef

We were never in the same league as IPFW, only IUPUI.

nkvu

D Walker seems to be finding his game. Skara can be bad and good in the same game. Needs to cut down the turnovers and find his 3 point shot to take the next step. Nice to see that the bench can step up when some of the starters struggle. Gives us tremendous flexibility.  Have to keep it up each game.  No let downs.