• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/18 - Youngstown State @ the Beeghly Center

Started by talksalot, January 16, 2016, 11:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

The Guins have victories this year over two teams with winning records:  Oakland on "The Tip In" game; and their 103-93 win over GBay last weekend.... They are 2-8 in their last 10 D1 games, losing to American #338, Purdue #29, Michigan #38, Notre Dame #39, Detroit #169, Milwaukee #163, Northern Ky #320 (by 20) and to Wright State #161 by 36

Here's the Box Score:

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/boxscores/20160116_lyne.xml

and here's the recap:
http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/releases/wright-state-recap-011616

and here's the season stat sheet...

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mbkb/2015-16/files/teamcume.htm

HailVU2014

Statistically speaking and with how well we have done in HL play so far, this SHOULD be another double digit win, but this game has me slightly concerned for a couple reasons. Here's some food for thought...

1. With the intensity of the last four games and the quick turn around to the long road trip to Youngstown, I can certainly see us not looking as sharp as our more recent games.
2. In 2014, they only lost to us by 3 in Ohio and in our great 2013 year, they handily beat us at the Beeghly Center, so they can certainly be competitive. And with their surprising wins over Oakland and Green Bay, I can see them stepping up to play us.
3. Will we look ahead? The game at Wright State on Friday will be HL #1 vs. #2 and WSU is a team that even I feel like I have overlooked until now, so we may need to prepare a bit extra for them and their more defensive style compared to the Michigan and Wisconsin schools. So will we take YSU for granted now that we have built some sense of a cushion in the HL standings? I can see it.

Anyway, on another note, I will be making the trip over to Youngstown from Cleveland to see the Beeghly Center for the first time. Should be an interesting experience! GO VALPO!  :)

historyman

With the way Youngstown can sometimes shoot hot as they did against Oakland at the O'rena and at home against Green Bay there is no way the Crusaders can look ahead to Wright State in Dayton on Friday. Valpo must take the sometimes streaky YSU Penguins seriously or a Ball State could happen to Valpo again. Oakland and Green Bay are still probably wondering why they couldn't beat YSU.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

frontrowfan

Actually the Beeghly Center is quite nice.   Parking close by and lots of security around.  The only challenge I have ever experienced is the weather on the drive over and the 9 hour total drive time to see a game.  Did it before and would do it again if the game weren't on a Monday night.

crusaderjoe

Forget about looking ahead against YSU...it's not going to happen.  The schedule actually permits plenty of time for Valpo to prepare and rest for WSU (and NKU) after the YSU game.  I would imagine that they'll travel to Dayton the day after YSU for the travel partnered swing on this road trip, so there will be time.  Fatigue against YSU though is a concern.

talksalot

Game #19 of the season... keep the streak alive!  we are 19-10 in the past 29 years

2014-15 Valpo 58 Clev St 56 - Home
2013-14 Valpo 78 Detroit 70 - Away
2012-13 Valpo 89 Detroit 88 - Away
2011-12 Valpo 72 Clev St 66 - Home
2010-11 Valpo 78 Detroit 68 - Away
2009-10 Valpo 78 Clev St 71 - Home
2008-09 Loyola 71 Valpo 56 - Away

frontrowfan

I thought the NCAA limited the number of days a team can be out of the "classroom".  Unless this rule has been relaxed I'd bet the team will travel back to Valpo Monday night and head to Dayton on Thursday night

talksalot

I understand the charter flight will bring 'em home right after the game on Monday.

oklahomamick

Isn't CSU travel partners with ysu?  This doesn't make sense schedule wise.  And therefore much more expensive.  Somebody please explain.
CRUSADERS!!!

wh

Coach Gore mentioned on the radio post game interview that the team would be flying out to Youngstown from Porter County Airport just after noon today and returning after the game Mon. night.

From personal experience nothing is easier than flying out of PCA. 5 min drive over, get out of your car, walk on the plane and go. No long ride to the airport, no early arrival needed, no security checks, no dealing with other travelers, nothing. It makes the YSU trip about as easy as going to UIC.

crusaderjoe

Thanks everyone for clearing up YSU travel details.  I hadn't even considered the availability of a flight.

frontrowfan

I am not familiar with a flight out of PCA except for a charter.   Are there flight options for the general public?

wh

There is no commercial service out of Porter County - just private planes, company jets and charters. Someone used to run an air shuttle service to O'Hare and Midway. I don't know if they still do that or not. 

talksalot

http://www.chicagoaircharter.com/

Midwest Airlink

PORTER COUNTY AIRPORT (VPZ)

4001 Murvihill Road
Valparaiso, IN 46385

Phone: 877-MAL-FLYS (877-625-3597)

FAX: 219-465-1291

HC

valpo84

On WSU broadcast last night, they said Bobby Hayne is out with a broken foot.  He's been tough on us.  Our defense should help us win.  We'll be there and it's always cold and snowy for this game.  Beware the slushee penguin! Usually rough and refs are no friends there. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

justducky

Quote from: valpo84 on January 17, 2016, 11:08:06 AMOn WSU broadcast last night, they said Bobby Hayne is out with a broken foot.  He's been tough on us.
He has been out for the last few weeks and they seem to be a different and more dangerous team without him.  ???  Speculation on the Oakland board was that this is a case of less is more and that Slocum's creative coaching ability is also improved by Haynes absence.

I look for our defense to show up, play mostly man, and hold them in check for a hard fought win. 

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on January 17, 2016, 11:56:07 AM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 17, 2016, 11:08:06 AMOn WSU broadcast last night, they said Bobby Hayne is out with a broken foot.  He's been tough on us.
He has been out for the last few weeks and they seem to be a different and more dangerous team without him.  ???  Speculation on the Oakland board was that this is a case of less is more and that Slocum's creative coaching ability is also improved by Haynes absence.

I look for our defense to show up, play mostly man, and hold them in check for a hard fought win.

"Slocum" and "coaching ability" shouldn't be used in the same sentence.

HailVU2014

The spread opens as 17 point road favorites for the Crusaders.

Note: We have covered the spread in all 5 games in Horizon League play, FWIW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ValpoFan

The real question should be why does Slocum still have a job at YSU after 11 years of mediocrity?

I never root for someone to get fired, but I am really curious to know what does he tell the AD and the administration year after year after year. The guy must be a genius...just not in coaching.

hailcrusaders

Quote from: ValpoFan on January 17, 2016, 12:38:25 PMThe real question should be why does Slocum still have a job at YSU after 11 years of mediocrity? I never root for someone to get fired, but I am really curious to know what does he tell the AD and the administration year after year after year. The guy must be a genius...just not in coaching.

I think it largely has to do with YSU being a football school. Basketball absolutely plays second fiddle. Short of scandal or winless season, his job security is higher than one might think.

Personally, I think a lot of people underrate Slocum as a coach. Just three seasons ago, YSU had back-to-back winning seasons, kicking (HL champion) Valpo's *** at the Beeghly both years. He also got Kendrick Perry, Damian Eargle, and Bobby Hain to come from warmer climes to the recruiting hellhole that is Youngstown, Ohio, and just might be making something out of nothing with this year's team.
#CrusadersForever

agibson

Quote from: HailVU2014 on January 17, 2016, 12:11:03 PM
The spread opens as 17 point road favorites for the Crusaders.

On the road.  Man.  What's it going to be when we go to UIC?  20? 25?

There are gamblers out there who will take Valpo by 17?  I suppose you're looking for even odds... Half the time?  Maybe...

vu84v2

Valpo is going to get most every teams' best shot on their home court. Valpo beats Youngstown with Valpo's defense again carrying the day. Valpo 75 YSU 66.

a3uge

Valpo 72 YSU 59, keeping the double digit victory streak alive!