• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/18 - Youngstown State @ the Beeghly Center

Started by talksalot, January 16, 2016, 11:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Part 1:  Bobby Hain      That's the players name, I've seen his name spelled a few ways...and yes, he's been a thorn

What I like about this game is Valpo's ability to key on the best player on the other team and keep that player from getting his points.  YSU goes where Morse takes them.  He's averaging 26ppg in HL play.  Donlon figured it out, held him to 18... and WSU wins by 30-something.    Valpo can do the same.

from their game notes:... The Starting Line (up?)... Donlan and Santiago are the only two to start every game.
Player Ht. Wt. Yr. Hometown PPG RPG Other
G 23 Francisco Santiago 6-1 160 So. Cleveland, Ohio 7.7 4.0 80 assts
G 24 Cameron Morse 6-2 180 So. Flint, Mich. 18.7 2.5 31 steals
G 25 Jordan Andrews 6-5 180 Fr. LaPlace, La. 6.4 2.8 25 3's
F 0 Matt Donlan 6-7 190 Jr. Melbourne, Australia 13.4 4.5 55 3's
C 5 Sidney Umude 6-7 205 So. San Antonio, Texas 7.6 3.6 10 blks

Kaufman (7' Junior)  has played in 16 games, averaging 17 min/game... shooting 54% from the line.
Nickels (6'9 Freshman) has played in 10 games, averaging 13min /game

• The Youngstown State men's basketball team returns home to host first-place Valparaiso, Monday, Jan. 18, at the Beeghly Center.
• Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. ET and is on 570 AM WKBN, ESPN3, and the WatchESPN app.
• This is the Penguins' third game in five days.  (Valpo, too!)  • The Penguins are coming off an 81-45 loss to Wright State on Jan. 16.
• Sophomore Cameron Morse scored a game high 18 points to lead the Penguins.
• Morse recorded his 15th double-figure scoring performance and scored at least 18 points for the seventh straight game.
• This is the 41st meeting between Youngstown State and Valparaiso in a series that started in 1989.
• The Crusaders own a 31-9 advantage in the all-time series and have won the last five contests.
• Valparaiso won the last meeting, 77-62, at the Beeghly Center.
• The last time YSU defeated the Crusaders was in 2013, 80-68, at the Beeghly Center.
• Head Coach Jerry Slocum has 706 career wins and became the 38th head coach in NCAA history
to reach 700 wins. He ranks 37th with 706 career wins and ranks eighth among active NCAA Division I coaches with 706 wins.
• Junior Matt Donlan leads the Horizon League with a .478 3-point percentage and is tied for second with 2.9 3-pointers made per game.
• Morse leads the Horizon League with 26.0 points per game in league games and is second overall with 18.7 points per game.
• Sophomore Francisco Santiago ranks third in the league with 4.2 assists per game.

Overall: Valpo leads, 31-9
In Youngstown: Valpo leads, 10-8
In Valparaiso: Valpo leads, 20-1
Neutral Sites: Valpo leads, 1-0
Current Streak: YSU, L5
Last Meeting: YSU lost, 77-62, on Jan. 20, 2015
Slocum vs. Valpo, 2-15

A WIN WOULD
• Give Youngstown State its 10th win over Valparaiso.
• Mark YSU's fi rst win over the Crusaders since
• Snap a fi ve-game losing streak to the Crusaders.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's 707th career win and his
126th at Youngstown State.
• Mark Jerry Slocum's third win over Valparaiso.
• Mark the 1,060th victory in program history.

talksalot

and from the Wright State recap of their game....
====================================
Short-handed: Youngstown State's Bobby Hain, a 6-10, 240-pound forward, sat out again with a foot injury and hasn't played since Dec. 21. He was a preseason second-team all-league pick.

Starting forward Sidney Umude, averaging 8.1 points, suffered an ankle injury less than two minutes into the game and didn't return.
====================================

all the write-ups I can find on Hain is the injury would keep him side-lined for 4-8 weeks...he's been out since December 21.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 17, 2016, 08:46:42 PM
sure beats taking the bus...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/FRG63

Anyone have any idea what this costs?  For one person?  For a traveling party of, what, 20?  I don't even know where to start.  Could it be as little as $10,000 for the traveling party?  As much as $50,000? More?

talksalot

I don't know if the League is paying for this? or is Valpo making the decision to fly?

with today's weather conditions, not sure driving would have been a fun thing to do; and, the long drive home on Monday night would not be a good idea for classes on Tuesday.

vufan75

FYI. Per his tweet, former Valpo assistant coach Chris Sparks is part of broadcasting team covering Valpo v. YSU on ESPN3. Should be interesting. If I recall right, he was the lead recruiter for Valpo with Ryan Broekoff?
Coach Sparks tweet as follows.
I will be broadcasting the Valpo v Youngstown State game Monday at 7pm Eastern on @ESPN3 @HLHoops

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

valpospartan

The team took a chartered flight this afternoon, so no long road trip.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 17, 2016, 09:45:41 PMI don't know if the League is paying for this? or is Valpo making the decision to fly?

Was there something about the league footing the bill for one a year, something like that?  Related perhaps to Butler's (nearly extinct?) NCAA money?

Very hazy memories here...

To be clear, whether this is coming from VU Athletics funds, or from the League, I'm not saying it's a bad investment necessarily, or a waste of money, etc.  It could well be prudent, or certainly comfortable and plausibly justified, etc.

wh

Quote from: agibson on January 17, 2016, 11:03:16 PM
To be clear, whether this is coming from VU Athletics funds, or from the League, I'm not saying it's a bad investment necessarily, or a waste of money, etc.  It could well be prudent, or certainly comfortable and plausibly justified, etc.

I'm sure ml and the athletic dept. appreciate your kinda-sorta-might be ok stamp of approval for taking the big bird. LOL

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 17, 2016, 11:30:36 PMI'm sure ml and the athletic dept. appreciate your kinda-sorta-might be ok stamp of approval for taking the big bird. LOL

I just wanted to be sure my equivocation was clear. ;)

Really was speculating about the price out of sheer curiosity - and I'm still curious if anyone has ideas about the numbers!

valpo95

Quote from: agibson on January 18, 2016, 12:05:40 AM

I just wanted to be sure my equivocation was clear. ;)

Really was speculating about the price out of sheer curiosity - and I'm still curious if anyone has ideas about the numbers!

It depends on the size of the aircraft of course, but I'm guessing between $5,000 and $10,000 per flight hour for something large enough for the team, coaches, training staff, broadcasters, etc. I'm not sure exactly how many would travel, but a total cost of $20-25K round trip might get you in the ballpark. Of course, if 20 people flew commercial at a cost of $500 per ticket (not that it would be possible between Valpo and YSU), that is $10K right there.

talksalot

$243 Round Trip on Delta from Ohare (or Midway) to Akron (Charter went to Youngstown Airport)  with a layover in Detroit.... with baggage restrictions.... and no returning flights after 5:45pm...and it's 68 miles from Youngstown.

Allegiant Air does fly to Youngstown, twice a week...so you could go from South Bend to St.Pete and then up to Youngstown... but it takes about a week for the round-trip due to the schedules.

Amtrak's Capitol Limited out of South Bend (9:05pm) for $100 stops in Alliance Ohio at 3:05am... which is only 38 miles from Youngstown....

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

frontrowfan

Quote from: talksalot on January 18, 2016, 09:38:57 AM
$243 Round Trip on Delta from Ohare (or Midway) to Akron (Charter went to Youngstown Airport)  with a layover in Detroit.... with baggage restrictions.... and no returning flights after 5:45pm...and it's 68 miles from Youngstown.

Allegiant Air does fly to Youngstown, twice a week...so you could go from South Bend to St.Pete and then up to Youngstown... but it takes about a week for the round-trip due to the schedules.

Amtrak's Capitol Limited out of South Bend (9:05pm) for $100 stops in Alliance Ohio at 3:05am... which is only 38 miles from Youngstown....

Now, aren't you glad you asked?

frontrowfan

The thing to remember is the restrictions the NCAA imposed last  year or the year before that really limits the number of days you can be on the road as relates to game days.  Realistically a bus trip back would get the team into Valpo about 1AM with class in the am.   The trip to Dayton is on Friday which means that travel time back is not as critical.  I do recognize the expense related to air travel and one of the early benefits of the Horizon League is the 2 for 1 pairing we got for road trips.  With changes in the league and NCAA restrictions it is really a necessity vs a luxury.  still...I have memories of Evansville back in the back of my mind.

talksalot

Here's a website calculator for the next time you want to charter a plane ...

http://www.usskylink.com/users/quotes/default.asp?chtype=Round%20Trip

The approximate distance from (KVPZ) Valparaiso/Porter Co, IN to (KYNG) Youngstown/Warren/Yo, OH is: 329 miles one way. Please review the different types of aircraft listed below for the estimated cost of a charter. If you would like an exact air charter quote, click on the quote link next to the aircraft type you wish quoted.

N/A - Aircraft Not Applicable due to number of Passengers (20)
AIRCRAFT TYPE   FLIGHT TIME
(One-Way)   
ROUND TRIP ESTIMATE RANGE
Low Cost
High Cost

Piston Powered   1.64 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Small Turbo-prop   1.43 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Medium Turbo-prop   1.2 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Large Turbo-prop   1 - Hours   
$10000.00
$14000.00

Light Jet   0.66 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Midsize Jet   0.66 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Large Corporate Jet   0.66 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A
Airline Type Jet   0.63 - Hours   
N/A
N/A
N/A

Here's what a large-turbo-prob looks like...

http://www.usskylink.com/quotes/charter-type-details.asp?actypeid=4

SO... the other question is... could VU sell the rest of the seats on this type of jaunt, to cover the costs?

I'm thinking there are others on this board that might be interested...

valpo4life

I believe either the Horizon league or NCAA, not sure which, covers a good chunk (60-70%) of the cost with the team being responsible for the rest.

a3uge

Quote from: valpo4life on January 18, 2016, 10:52:03 AM
I believe either the Horizon league or NCAA, not sure which, covers a good chunk (60-70%) of the cost with the team being responsible for the rest.
It was rumored that the Horizon provided teams 1 flight a year.

oklahomamick

again, why isn't this game played with their travel partner? 
CRUSADERS!!!

mgovalpo

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 18, 2016, 11:51:58 AM

I think it has to do with CSU playing a number of games, including the Valpo one, at the Quicken Loans Arena instead of the Wolstein Center. My guess is that the Cavs' schedule (or other things happening at the Q) made the regular Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday pairing impossible (perhaps also with other things going on at Wolstein), so splitting it up made the most sense to allow the game on the Cavs' floor. But that's just an educated guess.

SanityLost17

Quote from: mgovalpo on January 18, 2016, 12:00:05 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 18, 2016, 11:51:58 AM

I think it has to do with CSU playing a number of games, including the Valpo one, at the Quicken Loans Arena instead of the Wolstein Center. My guess is that the Cavs' schedule (or other things happening at the Q) made the regular Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday pairing impossible (perhaps also with other things going on at Wolstein), so splitting it up made the most sense to allow the game on the Cavs' floor. But that's just an educated guess.

We didn't start conference games until January.  I am guessing their are not enough weekends to go a full travel partner schedule and still have the conference tournament the first weekend in March.  Just a guess, I didn't look it up.  I am guessing that every team has at least one week like this in their schedule. 

sliman

I also think it has to do with the fact that we don't have a logical travel partner for UIC, hence those games and our Youngstown and Cleveland road games don't have a "partner."  Like SanityLost, I haven't checked the schedules of other teams, but I presume that have a similar situation with one or two teams.  Clearly UIC-Valpo, Detroit-Oakland, Milwaukee-Green Bay are good geographical partners, but when those teams play each other, finding a logical "partner" for that weekend without scrambling the schedule for everyone is not as easy.

a3uge

Quote from: sliman on January 18, 2016, 12:28:44 PM
I also think it has to do with the fact that we don't have a logical travel partner for UIC, hence those games and our Youngstown and Cleveland road games don't have a "partner."  Like SanityLost, I haven't checked the schedules of other teams, but I presume that have a similar situation with one or two teams.  Clearly UIC-Valpo, Detroit-Oakland, Milwaukee-Green Bay are good geographical partners, but when those teams play each other, finding a logical "partner" for that weekend without scrambling the schedule for everyone is not as easy.
UIC and Valpo are travel partners. Period. There's not enough weekends to have every team use travel partners for every game. Thus, there's a couple of weekday games that don't use the travel partners. For example NKU travels to Oakland on Tuesday, comes home for UIC/Valpo, and then goes back to Detroit to play UDM.

valpo4life

Quote from: a3uge on January 18, 2016, 11:51:10 AM
Quote from: valpo4life on January 18, 2016, 10:52:03 AM
It was rumored that the Horizon provided teams 1 flight a year.

More speculation on my part, but I think that was from using Butler's cut of the NCAA tournament money they did not receive for leaving the league.

talksalot

so Valpo/YST and UIC/CSU play tonight... the "3-games-in-5-days" scenario...

Wright State is playing UDM tonight...for the first of two times they have that same schedule fluke
Wright State:  2/11 @ UIC, 2/13 @ Valpo and 2/15 Home to Oakland

Milwaukee's turn:  2/11 @ Oakland 2/13 @ Detroit 2/15 @ Green Bay
Green Bay's turn:  2/11 @ Detroit 2/13 @ Oakland 2/15 home to Milwaukee
Oakland's turn:  2/11 Home to Milwaukee, 2/13 Home to Green Bay 2/15 @ Wright State

Detroit 2/11 Home to Green Bay 2/13 Home to Milwaukee and 2/16 @ Northern Kentucky (one extra day)
Northern Ky's turn:  2/11 @ Valpo, 2/13 @ UIC ... and 2/16 home to UDM (one extra day)

(I'm guessing something is going on 2/15 in the Northern Kentucky arena so they pushed that back a day)

valpo84

BTW, the Cavs host the Warriors tonight at the Q so I am doing the right thing and attending the Penguin Tilt rather than go to the Q.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum