• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Shane, Ali, Capo

Started by Just Sayin, January 17, 2016, 08:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

What are the similarities and differences among these three players? Strengths? Weaknesses?

hailcrusaders

Hammink reminds me a bit more of Jordan Coleman with better ball handling. But that's just me.
#CrusadersForever

valpotx

Weakness for all: turnovers
"Don't mess with Texas"

humbleopinion

A few thoughts:

Capo had less body control than the others.
Ali had the best dribbling ability, and Capo the least.
Shane is quick off the dribble and deceptively fast.
Even with Alec on the team, it has been interesting to see Bryce call plays for Shane to drive to the basket.
Overall, I would rank Shane over the other two.
Beamin' Beacons

HC

The way Shane finished at the rim separates him from that group and the majority of his current teammates.

wh

valpo84

Capo should not be in the comparison with Shane/Ali. Different type player and position.  Capo and Jubril are a better comparison.

Ali was a very good PG with average handles and good court vision.  He could see over defenders and passing was very adept at times.  He could get to the lane, but then his ability to finish or not turn the ball over became liabilities.  Ali was a very good college player and had a good career.  He was frustrating at times.  Best example, we had a chance at the end against Purdue at home in about 2001. http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2001-02/1279/purdue-vs-valpo-11-16-2001/ (forgot Falu was still with that team, which had would play Arizona to a bucket and hang tough vs Kansas, too). Ali made a great play to drive the lane and then lost the ball. That was as a freshman.  It was a microcosm of his career. 

Shane has similar body size to Ali, but is quicker to lane and to the basket.  He has concerted opportunities inside at a higher rate so far and has higher hops too.  Is Shane a 30 min/night PG, no.  Can he play multiple positions, yes.  Both are good defensively, especially with the length.  On the break, Shane is scary good.  His first step to the hole has been surprisingly quick.  Both (Ali 34%, Shane 25%) do not shoot the 3 particularly well, although Shane has shown potential.  E Vic is another that is very similar to Ali.  Ali averaged 7.9 PPG, Shane this year is at 8.6.  Ali over his career was a solid starting PG, who had a lot of upside but seemed to plateau after first year.  I can still see the spinning move in the lane.  We should be very pleased if Shane and E Vic have the consistency of Ali's total career.

Will also say this, Valpo's team is deeper than any team I can remember, including the '98 team.  The '98 team was no more than 8 (off the bench -- Nunness, Tony V and J Jenkins).  '16 team plays much better D and has more scoring options.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

uh, Ali is the most handsome, not even close.  Shane is by far the most athletic and by the time he leaves Valpo will be really hard to guard.  His outside shot needs work as does his ball handling but it will come together.  How many teams have had 6'6" or 6'7" or 6'8" point guards???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

IndyValpo

Quote from: valpo84 on January 18, 2016, 08:55:34 AMWill also say this, Valpo's team is deeper than any team I can remember, including the '98 team.  The '98 team was no more than 8 (off the bench -- Nunness, Tony V and J Jenkins).  '16 team plays much better D and has more scoring options.

Agreed but Tony V was a starter, Bill Jenkins was the other off the bench....

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on January 18, 2016, 08:58:44 AM
uh, Ali is the most handsome, not even close.
A to the LI    ;D  I think he has a future after BB.  Maybe the Puerto Rican Justin Bieber....
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

Capo had the best facial hair.
CRUSADERS!!!

sliman

I pretty much agree with valpo84, and would add that Shane probably is not as good a jump shooter as Ali at this point.  Although neither could be classified as a significant 3-point threat, Ali seemed more capable of taking a jump shot off a screen (at least later in his career) than Shane shows at this point.  Shane's shot from a distance seems more like a quick set shot, with only modest elevation.  Since Shane is giving the conference teams notice that he's always a threat to take the ball to the rim, his ability to stop and pop from 3 could become a valuable weapon.

Just Sayin

Quote from: valpo84 on January 18, 2016, 08:55:34 AM
Capo should not be in the comparison with Shane/Ali. Different type player and position.  Capo and Jubril are a better comparison.

Ali was a very good PG with average handles and good court vision.  He could see over defenders and passing was very adept at times.  He could get to the lane, but then his ability to finish or not turn the ball over became liabilities.  Ali was a very good college player and had a good career.  He was frustrating at times.  Best example, we had a chance at the end against Purdue at home in about 2001. http://www.valpoathletics.com/mbasketball/boxscore/2001-02/1279/purdue-vs-valpo-11-16-2001/ (forgot Falu was still with that team, which had would play Arizona to a bucket and hang tough vs Kansas, too). Ali made a great play to drive the lane and then lost the ball. That was as a freshman.  It was a microcosm of his career. 

Shane has similar body size to Ali, but is quicker to lane and to the basket.  He has concerted opportunities inside at a higher rate so far and has higher hops too.  Is Shane a 30 min/night PG, no.  Can he play multiple positions, yes.  Both are good defensively, especially with the length.  On the break, Shane is scary good.  His first step to the hole has been surprisingly quick.  Both (Ali 34%, Shane 25%) do not shoot the 3 particularly well, although Shane has shown potential.  E Vic is another that is very similar to Ali.  Ali averaged 7.9 PPG, Shane this year is at 8.6.  Ali over his career was a solid starting PG, who had a lot of upside but seemed to plateau after first year.  I can still see the spinning move in the lane.  We should be very pleased if Shane and E Vic have the consistency of Ali's total career.

Will also say this, Valpo's team is deeper than any team I can remember, including the '98 team.  The '98 team was no more than 8 (off the bench -- Nunness, Tony V and J Jenkins).  '16 team plays much better D and has more scoring options.

What drove (no pun intended) me to ask the question and I could be wrong, was that sometimes Shane tries to do too much when he drives into the lane and attacks the basket, which leads to charging or turnovers or not finishing which I find similar to what Ali did on a regular basis. Once Ali made up his mind to go to the basket, it seemed he did not always see the court well and look to dish, thereby becoming somewhat one dimensional and predictable for whoever was defending him. Agreed with all of the positives mentioned in this thread about Shane, but when the game is on the line, I would be nervous with Shane being the "go to" guy. That's my impression. I haven't watched every minute of every game, but when I do, he is the only guy on the team that makes me a little bit nervous. He seems a wee bit inconsistent. I have missed some of his better performances. I just got the impression, and again, I could be wrong, it seems Shane likes one-on-one basketball rather than a big assist, more team oriented guy.

Just Sayin

Quote from: oklahomamick on January 18, 2016, 11:49:59 AM
Capo had the best facial hair.

Excellent point. No contest on that.

valpo84

Thanks for clarifying Indyvalpo.  I had made an assumption (without verifying) that the Jenkins started and Tony V spelled Zoran and/or Jenkins at PF. 
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

historyman

Quote from: wh on January 18, 2016, 08:29:18 AM
Ali is the best singer/rapper:

! No longer available
Berdiel could turn out to be a big deal.

Here's video from Ali's PR basketball academy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7uogFOCm4Y

Here's Ali on the basketball court playing for Puerto Rico and talking about his singing career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8bHDkYHlp0

Here's Ali's wiki page telling of his career since Valpo. He played in Belgium, the NBDL, a Puerto Rican pro league and for the Puerto Rican national team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miguel_%22Ali%22_Berdiel
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

bbtds

Here's a off season work out video from Ali that I found in that group of Ali's videos on youtube.

! No longer available

Also Ali on a popular Puerto Rican radio show called The Circus of the Mega.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7KWhSFtZR8#

valpotx

Ali has had a very good career post-Valpo, in both the entertainment sphere, as well as basketball.  He uploads his videos to Facebook fairly frequently, so I have watched many of them since he graduated.  Even though his representation for PR were in some of the minor tournaments, it is quite an accomplishment for him to play for one of the top 20-25 teams (similar to what Rowdy is doing with Australia). 
"Don't mess with Texas"

Just Sayin

Quote from: Just Sayin on January 18, 2016, 03:48:02 PM
Quote from: valpo84 on January 18, 2016, 08:55:34 AM

What drove (no pun intended) me to ask the question and I could be wrong, was that sometimes Shane tries to do too much when he drives into the lane and attacks the basket, which leads to charging or turnovers or not finishing which I find similar to what Ali did on a regular basis. Once Ali made up his mind to go to the basket, it seemed he did not always see the court well and look to dish, thereby becoming somewhat one dimensional and predictable for whoever was defending him. Agreed with all of the positives mentioned in this thread about Shane, but when the game is on the line, I would be nervous with Shane being the "go to" guy. That's my impression. I haven't watched every minute of every game, but when I do, he is the only guy on the team that makes me a little bit nervous. He seems a wee bit inconsistent. I have missed some of his better performances. I just got the impression, and again, I could be wrong, it seems Shane likes one-on-one basketball rather than a big assist, more team oriented guy.

Yep. Max Joseph should have been at the point.