• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/24 - Northern Kentucky @ the Highlands

Started by talksalot, January 23, 2016, 08:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: sliman on January 24, 2016, 03:45:39 PMWho was the announcer that coached Bryce in the NBA? 

Jan Van Bretta Kolff

His father was an NBA player and coach--Butch Van Bretta Kolff.

Jan played mostly in the ABA but had a stint with the Nets after they moved to the NBA. He coached at Cornell, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, St Bonaventure and in the new ABA in Nashville. He was not an NBA head coach. I'm not sure when/if he coached Bryce.

Hence the acknowledgement that he had ancestry from the Netherlands--where Hammink is from.

nkvu

Quote from: justducky on January 24, 2016, 04:01:44 PM
For a game day the board seemed extremely quiet. So I counted up our total mens basketball related posts and it only totaled 13. Did everybody switch into "wait until next year" mode  ???

How good or bad would we have looked without Keith Carter?
Quote from: oklahomamick on January 24, 2016, 01:22:51 PMNickerson finally in.  He's just not as quick as he was last year.  Understandably....  Difficult for him to play on the perimeter against guards two steps quicker.
Since his problem was wrist related this shouldn't be true but maybe he wasn't doing enough legwork while injured? If it is this simple then good because his defense last year was exceptional. Somebody needs to step up to the backup point role with a statement game that says "this job is mine get in line behind me".

Without Carter they would still have won by 15 or so. Our defense was just overwhelming, particularly on the perimeter. T Walker and Hamnick were getting to the rack pretty much whenever they wanted in the second half.  In the half court set it's difficult to see just who is really playing point as so many sets were set up for dribble drive penetration from T Walker, Hamnick, etc. E Vic didn't really hurt us today in any phase and he was really playing hard still in the last 10 minutes when the result was already decided. Lack of effort will never be a problem with him.

valpolaw

These games are fun to watch when the ball state/wright state valpo team doesn't show up. They need to win out and not have anymore let downs.

talksalot

Valpo is 34-8 after a loss under Bryce... not my stat... but the ESPN3 guys at NoKy kept saying it.  Just watched the replay; and other than the first 10 minutes... I'd say "Methodical" would cover it.

valpocleveland

I also wondered who the announcer was who coached Bryce and not knowing his name did a bit of googling and wikipedia work and found that he was an assistant coach for the NO Hornets in 2003-2004 when Bryce was there.

nkvu

One last comment. Vashil only got credit for one block but I personally saw him get a piece of at least 3 other shots that resulted in misses. Not to mention a number of shots he altered. Still, NKU's interior players had some success although they were finally overwhelmed on the boards, particularly in the second half when they went to a zone. We were getting two, three, even four offensive boards then.

HailVU2014

Great game for Valpo at a great, new HL facility! I was impressed with the Valpo crowd in attendance, we were certainly loud enough to be heard by all and apparently showed up at least somewhat well on TV/live stream.

The one thing that shocked me was the lack of a student presence for NKU. Absolutely no one in the student section in the first half aside from the band, cheerleaders, and dance squad. I hope that will change with time for the Norse, as they do seem well-coached and have a good public fan base, but students make all of the difference in recruiting, home court advantage, etc., IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

a3uge

Quote from: nkvu on January 24, 2016, 07:47:49 PM
One last comment. Vashil only got credit for one block but I personally saw him get a piece of at least 3 other shots that resulted in misses. Not to mention a number of shots he altered. Still, NKU's interior players had some success although they were finally overwhelmed on the boards, particularly in the second half when they went to a zone. We were getting two, three, even four offensive boards then.

That's hilarious. I believe he had 2 in the same possession too!

humbleopinion

Quote from: a3uge on January 24, 2016, 09:14:04 PM

Which returns me to the question I asked previously:  how is a "block" defined?  Does the ball have have it's path deviated by 60 degrees or something?
Beamin' Beacons

a3uge

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 25, 2016, 05:41:16 AM
Quote from: a3uge on January 24, 2016, 09:14:04 PM

Which returns me to the question I asked previously:  how is a "block" defined?  Does the ball have have it's path deviated by 60 degrees or something?
Maybe he didn't count the one that was borderline goaltending? Absurd!

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

agibson

Quote from: valpocleveland on January 24, 2016, 07:24:47 PM
I also wondered who the announcer was who coached Bryce and not knowing his name did a bit of googling and wikipedia work and found that he was an assistant coach for the NO Hornets in 2003-2004 when Bryce was there.

Yeah, seems Wikipedia could use a bit of editing here. It covers the scandal that led to his departure from 2001–2003   St. Bonaventure but then leaves a gap in his resumee.

Was it just the one season with the Hornets? From the gap in his resumee it could have been more.

Bryce was quick enough to acknowledge him in the post game interview.

(A Nashville Scene article confirms one season, "An assistant's gig with the New Orleans Hornets lasted one season, followed by four years running a basketball camp in Cool Springs.")

agibson

Quote from: humbleopinion on January 25, 2016, 05:41:16 AMWhich returns me to the question I asked previously:  how is a "block" defined?  Does the ball have have it's path deviated by 60 degrees or something?

I poked around a little on this.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-basketball-statisticians-manual
seems like an official source, even if the 2014-2015 is the most recent that's available.

No big surprise, but what's there is fairly ambiguous.  Maybe someone on the board, maybe someone closer to the scorer's table, knows more about customs and traditions.

The most relevant bits might be
A blocked shot is credited to a defensive player any time the player makes contact with the ball to appreciably alter the flight of a FGA and the shot is not made and goaltending is not called, or while a player is in the obvious act of shooting, the ball is stuffed or knocked loose before it is in flight and no foul is called. In addition to being in the obvious act of shooting, the shooting hand must be moving toward the basket in the shooting position or the shooter must be airborne and moving toward the basket with the intention of a dunk or layup and the ball must be in position for the shot. If there is doubt about whether the player was in the act of shooting, the interpretation shall be that he or she was not.

Philosophy. A blocked shot should be credited only when the shot clearly is in flight or the player is in the obvious act of shooting. In cases where the ball is knocked loose before the player is in the act of shooting, the statistic in question should be a steal.

The manual seems to care a lot about whether they're in the act of shooting or not.  And, understandably, on steal/block, block/foul, and similar distinctions.

There are a bunch of detailed examples given "how to score situation X".  I didn't read them all carefully, but the most relevant that I saw for "by how much does the ball have to be blocked" was sort of trivial - if they still make the shot, it's not a block.

So, we're left with "the player makes contact with the ball to appreciably alter the flight".

Fuzzy language, of course.  I'm guessing they tend to only call blocks when it's pretty clear.  If we need a replay to distinguish it, probably no joy.  If it seems like it was such a horrible flight path that surely Vashil must have gotten a piece of it, how could a D1 player shoot that badly?, probably no joy.  So, I bet finger tip blocks are unlikely to get recorded.  The more decisive kind are going to be a lot easier to judge.  It sounds like all of this is in the heat of the moment, when they're probably more concerned about a) the score, b)the correct field goal attempt, and c)the correct rebound.

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on January 25, 2016, 12:04:10 PM
Quote from: humbleopinion on January 25, 2016, 05:41:16 AMWhich returns me to the question I asked previously:  how is a "block" defined?  Does the ball have have it's path deviated by 60 degrees or something?

I poked around a little on this.

http://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/ncaa-basketball-statisticians-manual
seems like an official source, even if the 2014-2015 is the most recent that's available.

No big surprise, but what's there is fairly ambiguous.  Maybe someone on the board, maybe someone closer to the scorer's table, knows more about customs and traditions.

The most relevant bits might be
A blocked shot is credited to a defensive player any time the player makes contact with the ball to appreciably alter the flight of a FGA and the shot is not made and goaltending is not called, or while a player is in the obvious act of shooting, the ball is stuffed or knocked loose before it is in flight and no foul is called. In addition to being in the obvious act of shooting, the shooting hand must be moving toward the basket in the shooting position or the shooter must be airborne and moving toward the basket with the intention of a dunk or layup and the ball must be in position for the shot. If there is doubt about whether the player was in the act of shooting, the interpretation shall be that he or she was not.

Philosophy. A blocked shot should be credited only when the shot clearly is in flight or the player is in the obvious act of shooting. In cases where the ball is knocked loose before the player is in the act of shooting, the statistic in question should be a steal.

The manual seems to care a lot about whether they're in the act of shooting or not.  And, understandably, on steal/block, block/foul, and similar distinctions.

There are a bunch of detailed examples given "how to score situation X".  I didn't read them all carefully, but the most relevant that I saw for "by how much does the ball have to be blocked" was sort of trivial - if they still make the shot, it's not a block.

So, we're left with "the player makes contact with the ball to appreciably alter the flight".

Fuzzy language, of course.  I'm guessing they tend to only call blocks when it's pretty clear.  If we need a replay to distinguish it, probably no joy.  If it seems like it was such a horrible flight path that surely Vashil must have gotten a piece of it, how could a D1 player shoot that badly?, probably no joy.  So, I bet finger tip blocks are unlikely to get recorded.  The more decisive kind are going to be a lot easier to judge.  It sounds like all of this is in the heat of the moment, when they're probably more concerned about a) the score, b)the correct field goal attempt, and c)the correct rebound.
That's fine, but they only credited him with one steal!

agibson

Yeah, I figure most of Vashil's are lost to "did not appreciably [and obviously] alter the flight".

historyman

Quote from: agibson on January 25, 2016, 02:02:59 PM
Yeah, I figure most of Vashil's are lost to "did not appreciably [and obviously] alter the flight".

Certainly what you would want in a pilot but not a shot blocker.  :)
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

VUfan

Just noticed the photo on the VU web Site for the game is not of the NKU game but from the UWGB Game. Is that done often?   :crazy:

VULB#62

agibson

The NKU game conflicted with church and some family obligations, so I was watching it on tape delay (VCR, would you believe it?) and was offline avoiding spoilers.

A couple of questions came up during the game.

Was it just me, or was Carter often _not_ running the point?  He'd be in the game, but seemed to be playing shooting guard while Hammink, or even Tevonn, ran the show.  Am I the only one who saw it this way?

Did anyone get a good read on what happened to Peters ? Was it his left leg?  Knee?  A cut or something?  Rod Moore seemed to be working on it.  It seemed like _maybe_ Alec's minutes were limited after, but he did get back into the game.  (And, he had the most minutes for Valpo, even if it was only 26.)

And then the fan watching.  I was pleased to see a couple of ELCA "God's Work, Our Hands" shirts in the crowd.  Made me wonder if they were Lutherans wearing VU gold, or Norse gold!

In other fan watching, presumably it's Jubril's dad who sports the yellow wig?  But who's his younger wigged companion?  Peters' kid brother?