• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/28 - Cleveland State @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, January 24, 2016, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

Never too early to start a thread...

Cleveland State - Crusader Classic Night (1986-1995) in the ARC

Vikings coming in... with HL wins over UIC (by 17) and Northern Kentucky (by 5)...but lost to Youngstown State by 15.... their road wins this year:

Northern Kentucky (#278) 70-65
Loyola Chicago (#264) 60-54

Here's the recap on the YST game:
http://csuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015-16/releases/20160124ml5wat

Here's the Box Score (Note:  'Guins out-rebounded them, and they shot 35%)
http://csuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015-16/boxscores/20160124_irn2.xml

They actually posted video highlights of that game...
http://csuvikings.com/sports/m-baskbl/2015-16/videos/012416_MBB_YSU_CSU

hailcrusaders

CSU is down there with UIC this year to battle for the 9 seed. I know it's on the road, but I'm expecting a blowout.
#CrusadersForever

a3uge

Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 24, 2016, 07:00:45 PM
CSU is down there with UIC this year to battle for the 9 seed. I know it's on the road, but I'm expecting a blowout.
Game is at home for Valpo.

HC

I'm just excited for another home game! Imagine how good CSU could've been if their guys weren't so eager to leave. They'd have been right at that top with Valpo (and Wright State). I always wondered why Waters didn't have those teams the past few years play at a more up tempo pace. He had some very good guards and some decent athletes. Oh well. Should be a relatively easy win.

Valpo 80-56 winners.

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

Roster - Same Starting 5 for all 8 HL games this year...

1   Andre Yates     G   Jr.   6-2   185   Dayton, Ohio / Dayton Dunbar (Creighton), 10 ppg, 63% FT, 2 reb/gm, 2 assists/gm
3   Rob Edwards     G   Fr.   6-4   200   Detroit, Mich. / Cass Tech, 12.5 ppg, 70% FT, 4 reb/gm, 1.6 asst/gm
11   Terrell Hales     G   So.   6-4   185   Detroit, Mich. / Frederic Douglass, 2 ppg, 50% FT, 2.4 reb/gm, 1.4 asst/gm
33   Demonte Flannigan F   Jr.   6-7   240   Richmond Heights, Ohio / Villa Angela-St. Joseph, 10 ppg, 66% FT, 20 blocks on season
41   Vinny Zollo     F   Sr.   6-8   230   Greenfield, Ohio / George Rogers Clark (NW Florida State JC), 6.4 ppg 72%

Off the bench by minutes-played
5   Jibri Blount   F   Fr.   6-7   220   Pittsburgh, Pa. / St. Vincent-St. Mary
4   Kenny Carpenter   G   So.   6-4   180   Detroit, Mich. / Cass Tech
31   Nelson Maxwell   G   Fr.   6-0   170   Orange Village, Ohio / Orange (Fishburne Academy)

Vashil has 50 blocks on the season.  Cleveland State has 52.

HC

You all at the scorers table need to help Vashil out a bit and inflate those block stats to make up for the bogus block numbers these other schools are giving him.

covufan

CSU is having a down year, but we should have learned not to underestimate our HL opponents.

Valpo  72
CSU    43

VUfan

CSU has always Played hard and will leave you Bruised Bring your A game and the Doc!
VU 66 CSU 54 

hailcrusaders

Quote from: a3uge on January 24, 2016, 07:04:19 PM
Quote from: hailcrusaders on January 24, 2016, 07:00:45 PMCSU is down there with UIC this year to battle for the 9 seed. I know it's on the road, but I'm expecting a blowout.
Game is at home for Valpo.

My bad, misread the schedule. All the more reason to expect a lopsided score.
#CrusadersForever

VU75

Found this  wonderfully honest comment in the Blue Ribbon Yearbook.  It's Gary Waters on losing Bryn Forbes last year and Trey Lewis and Anton Grady this year to the graduate transfer rule.

I'm not going to give them extra (scholarship money) in the summer with classes like I did before.  The last four years we've been in the top 10 percentile of the APR.  We have really put education first.  We've been able to live it and also live it on the hardwood.  But if kids leave, the hardwood is suffering.  If they stay because they're following the graduation process through the fourth year , the hardwood continues."

a3uge

One thing to watch for: Darien Walker has actually shot really well in conference so far. He's really turned around his season after getting yanked from the starting lineup. He's shot 51.7% from 3 in conference - and this is after his 0-4 game against NKU (he was 60% prior to that game). Darien also has only 5 turnovers in 8 conference games. He has the 2nd best ORtg in conference as well.

On the flip side, Tevonn has been rather pedestrian in conference play. 7th in offensive rating and only shooting 26.7% from 3pt. Hopefully a home game vs a bad team may get him going again.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on January 26, 2016, 08:54:08 AM
One thing to watch for: Darien Walker has actually shot really well in conference so far. He's really turned around his season after getting yanked from the starting lineup. He's shot 51.7% from 3 in conference - and this is after his 0-4 game against NKU (he was 60% prior to that game). Darien also has only 5 turnovers in 8 conference games. He has the 2nd best ORtg in conference as well.

On the flip side, Tevonn has been rather pedestrian in conference play. 7th in offensive rating and only shooting 26.7% from 3pt. Hopefully a home game vs a bad team may get him going again.

Clearly the Tevonn of the pre-season isn't the one playing now. His defense is fantastic but the mid-range jumper displayed earlier as well as his 3 point shots have fallen off.  It is a confidence thing, no doubt.  As with Darien, once he starts hitting a few thing will change.  Heck, even Alec has his off nights.  I still am not very thrilled with Darien always trying to force the play to the hoop and getting called for offensive fouls when he could have pulled it back and run something better.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

I completely forgot that Grady left for Wichita State as well!  Wow, Cleveland State had three top quality players on their roster recently, but still did not win the league.  You have a main contributor at Michigan State, Louisville, and Wichita State, but I guess that the rest of the team was crap.  It makes you wonder where many of our players could play next year, if they decided to transfer. 
"Don't mess with Texas"

talksalot

CSU Game Notes .pdf

http://static.psbin.com/u/n/d1c0ujluxrimtp/MBB_Rel_012816.pdf

•    The CSU staff will wear sneakers with their suits on Thursday
night at Valparaiso and on Saturday at UIC to help raise awareness
about the fight against cancer.

FOR THREE:
•    CSU has hit a three-pointer in a school-record 556 straight games.
•    The Vikings have hit at least three three's in 105 straight games.
•    The last time CSU failed to make a three-pointer was Feb. 21, 1998, when the Vikings were 0-for-8 in a 60-57 win over Detroit.
•    A total of 11 different players for CSU have hit a three-pointer this year, tying the CSU single season record for most players with at least one three-pointer in a season.

[Note:  Valpo also has 11 different players with a three:  Peters, TWalker,Carter, Hammink, DWalker, DSkara, Adekoya, Nickerson, Davidson, Williams, Joseph.... Only Vashil and Chandler do not...neither has taken a 3-point shot all year.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 27, 2016, 10:31:23 AMCSU has hit a three-pointer in a school-record 556 straight games.
•    The Vikings have hit at least three three's in 105 straight games.
•    The last time CSU failed to make a three-pointer was Feb. 21, 1998, when the Vikings were 0-for-8 in a 60-57 win over Detroit.

Huh.  That's kind of a random thing to keep track of.  I figure most mid-major teams (most teams?) have the three-point shot as a significant part of their arsenal.  When you have average, say, 7 a game like Valpo often does it's maybe not too hard to build a long streak.

Still, 105 straight games at three or more is a lot.

Last time we had less than three was apparently at Green Bay last year, in a 51-50 loss.  (Also 2 in the win over Trinity International in the early part of the season.  Indeed, our low-3PM games are often against top, or bottom, competition.  Trinity Christian (4), Oregon State (4), Rhode Island (3) this year.)

I'm a little curious when last we had 0 3PM.  But not curious enough to check all the box scores.

Pgmado

Quote from: agibson on January 27, 2016, 12:08:26 PM
I'm a little curious when last we had 0 3PM.  But not curious enough to check all the box scores.

Akron. Nov. 14, 2011. 0-14 3PFG. Won 62-59.

agibson

Quote from: Pgmado on January 27, 2016, 01:32:49 PM
Quote from: agibson on January 27, 2016, 12:08:26 PM

Akron. Nov. 14, 2011. 0-14 3PFG. Won 62-59.

Nice.

0 for 14 at the ARC with even Rowdy 0 for 3.

talksalot

so..... How Many Games Ago was that?
this year:  21
2014-15: 34
2013-14: 34
2012-13: 34
2011-12...the Akron game was #4 of the season... so 30

total:  153... to make ONE... the CSU string of 105 is of making at least 3 in a game!! Now I'm dutifully impressed.

BTW, that Akron game was the first HOME D1 game with Bryce as head coach... just sayin'

wh

Guess on attendance 3500. Anticipated excuses:
•week night game
•students studying
•cold outside
•Presidential debate on TV
•bad opponent
•bad marketing
•seating too close to the action
•concessions too inexpensive
•free parking not as convenient as it once was
•growing local/regional population, so we shouldn't expect crowds to be as large as we used to have

VULB#62

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 05:16:43 PM
•week night game
•students studying
•cold outside
•bad opponent
•bad marketing
(1) •seating too close to the action
(2) free parking not as convenient as it once was
(3) growing local/regional population, so we shouldn't expect crowds to be as large as we used to have

:o
(1) People usually kill to get close to the action.  The ARC is great for that.
(2) FREE!!!!  Let me repeat that.... FREE!!!!
(3) More people.  If even 1% of the newbies think about going to a LOCAL DIV I VU BB game, that's MORE people than before.

Can I add "College athletics are sooooo NOT PC anymore"?

;D

wh

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 27, 2016, 05:31:45 PM
•week night game
•students studying
•cold outside
•bad opponent
•bad marketing
(3) growing local/regional population, so we shouldn't expect crowds to be as large as we used to have

(3) More people.  If even 1% of the newbies think about going to a LOCAL DIV I VU BB game, that's MORE people than before.

;D

The area population bullet was a little spoof on a post from an earlier discussion about attendance, where the poster said the population isn't big enough to support crowds of 4-5000. It's a way of asking why attendance is < the early years after '98 when the population is >. Crowds >4000 used to be commonplace. And, no the reason isn't because of the way they used to estimate. I was a regular then, and I'm a regular now. I know what my eyes tell me when I see all empty seats that used to be filled.

a3uge

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 06:33:15 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on January 27, 2016, 05:31:45 PM
•week night game
•students studying
•cold outside
•bad opponent
•bad marketing

;D

The area population bullet was a little spoof on a post from an earlier discussion about attendance, where the poster said the population isn't big enough to support crowds of 4-5000. It's a way of asking why attendance is < the early years after '98 when the population is >. Crowds >4000 used to be commonplace. And, no the reason isn't because of the way they used to estimate. I was a regular then, and I'm a regular now. I know what my eyes tell me when I see all empty seats that used to be filled.
Last time you posted essentially the same thing and there were 4939 fans in attendance.

wh

Attendance and atmosphere were awesome at the last game. Unfortunately, it's the first game this year where the ARC was really rocking the way we all know it can. When you consider our record, our reputation over the past 4 or 5 years, recent NCAA appearances, and the Bryce Drew connection having been home town hero in high school and college, the ARC should be the place to be on game nights - but sadly that's not the currently reality. It used to be.

vu72

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 08:50:57 PM
Attendance and atmosphere were awesome at the last game. Unfortunately, it's the first game this year where the ARC was really rocking the way we all know it can. When you consider our record, our reputation over the past 4 or 5 years, recent NCAA appearances, and the Bryce Drew connection having been home town hero in high school and college, the ARC should be the place to be on game nights - but sadly that's not the currently reality. It used to be.

I was just watching Wichita State playing a very bad Loyola team at home. The place was packed.  Unfortunately there are more options for Valpo residents then those languishing in Wichita.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015