• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

1/28 - Cleveland State @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, January 24, 2016, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justducky

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 05:16:43 PMGuess on attendance 3500.
That guess might be little low but I don't see a crowd of over 3800. Hope I am wrong.

If Waters had Forbes, Lewis, Grady and a top notch RPI this might have been a weeknight near sell out.

historyman

Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 08:50:57 PM
Attendance and atmosphere were awesome at the last game. Unfortunately, it's the first game this year where the ARC was really rocking the way we all know it can. When you consider our record, our reputation over the past 4 or 5 years, recent NCAA appearances, and the Bryce Drew connection having been home town hero in high school and college, the ARC should be the place to be on game nights - but sadly that's not the currently reality. It used to be.

I was just watching Wichita State playing a very bad Loyola team at home. The place was packed.  Unfortunately there are more options for Valpo residents then those languishing in Wichita.

Really?
Does Valpo have............
Old Cowtown Museum
Mid-America All Indian Center
Kansas African American Museum
Wichita Gardens (botanical)
Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
Exploration Place (science and engineering)
Wichita Symphony Orchestra
Ballet Wichita
CityArts (art gallery)
Coutts Museum of Art
Mosley Street Melodrama (dinner theater)
Music Theater Wichita
Orpheum Theater
Great Plains Nature Center
100 city parks
Sedgwick County Zoo
Tanganyika Wildlife Park
Rock River Rapids (water park)
5 shopping malls
Wichita Thunder (ice hockey)
Wichita Wingnuts (baseball)
Wichita State and Friends Universities
more golf courses
more movie theaters
etc.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

a3uge

Back to the game. Valpo favored by 20.

talksalot

Something else to shoot for tonight... -

Points per Game Allowed...

1.   Arkansas-Little Rock   58.7 - at home to GaSouthern, Favored by 15, with OU at 133
2.   Saint Mary's College   59.5
3.   Louisville   60.0
4.   San Diego State   60.2
5.   Old Dominion   61.6 - at Florida Atlantic, favored by 7 with an OU at 121
5.   Villanova   61.6
7.   Wichita State   61.89474  (1,176 allowed in 19 games)
8.   Virginia   61.90000 (1,238 allowed in 20 games)
9.   Valparaiso   61.94373 (1,177 allowed in 19 games)
10.   Purdue   62.1

Yes, Valpo is favored by 20... and the OU at 124.5... so 72-52 would help us move up in this poll...

Villanova and Old Dominion have both allowed 1,233 points in 20 games... if CSU scores 56 tonight, we will tie those two schools with the same total over 20 D-1 Games.

Aren't Stats FUN???

hailcrusaders

Quote from: historyman on January 27, 2016, 10:29:35 PM
Quote from: vu72 on January 27, 2016, 08:56:36 PM
Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 08:50:57 PM
Attendance and atmosphere were awesome at the last game. Unfortunately, it's the first game this year where the ARC was really rocking the way we all know it can. When you consider our record, our reputation over the past 4 or 5 years, recent NCAA appearances, and the Bryce Drew connection having been home town hero in high school and college, the ARC should be the place to be on game nights - but sadly that's not the currently reality. It used to be.

I was just watching Wichita State playing a very bad Loyola team at home. The place was packed.  Unfortunately there are more options for Valpo residents then those languishing in Wichita.

Really?
Does Valpo have............
Old Cowtown Museum
Mid-America All Indian Center
Kansas African American Museum
Wichita Gardens (botanical)
Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum
Exploration Place (science and engineering)
Wichita Symphony Orchestra
Ballet Wichita
CityArts (art gallery)
Coutts Museum of Art
Mosley Street Melodrama (dinner theater)
Music Theater Wichita
Orpheum Theater
Great Plains Nature Center
100 city parks
Sedgwick County Zoo
Tanganyika Wildlife Park
Rock River Rapids (water park)
5 shopping malls
Wichita Thunder (ice hockey)
Wichita Wingnuts (baseball)
Wichita State and Friends Universities
more golf courses
more movie theaters
etc.

I believe 72 was being sarcastic (?). Anyway, the Wingnuts are out of season  ;)
#CrusadersForever

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on January 28, 2016, 08:56:02 AM

Aren't Stats FUN???

We're back down to #2 in KenPom defense, so we could try to bolster that tonight too.  But, might be tough.  Cleveland State is rated _very_ poorly in offense, #318.

A really quick and dirty crunching of he KenPom numbers suggests that we might have to beat the spread to have a shot at improving our numbers.  (I guess that's no surprise.)

a3uge

Quote from: talksalot on January 28, 2016, 08:56:02 AM

Points per Game Allowed...

1.   Arkansas-Little Rock   58.7 - at home to GaSouthern, Favored by 15, with OU at 133
2.   Saint Mary's College   59.5
3.   Louisville   60.0
4.   San Diego State   60.2
5.   Old Dominion   61.6 - at Florida Atlantic, favored by 7 with an OU at 121
5.   Villanova   61.6
7.   Wichita State   61.89474  (1,176 allowed in 19 games)
8.   Virginia   61.90000 (1,238 allowed in 20 games)
9.   Valparaiso   61.94373 (1,177 allowed in 19 games)
10.   Purdue   62.1

Yes, Valpo is favored by 20... and the OU at 124.5... so 72-52 would help us move up in this poll...

Villanova and Old Dominion have both allowed 1,233 points in 20 games... if CSU scores 56 tonight, we will tie those two schools with the same total over 20 D-1 Games.

Aren't Stats FUN???
Super impressive considering that we've played the #2 (UWGB), #5 (Detroit), #8 (Oakland), #21 (Belmont), and #25 (Chicago St) fastest paced teams. Iona and YSU are also top 50.

Valpo is also #1 in defensive rating.

CSU is a mess. They're 339th in ppg, in part thanks to attempting the fewest free throws of all Horizon League teams and playing at a slow pace.  They're the 22nd slowest in the country, but still are 302nd in ORtg, which is bad. They shoot bad too... 306th in fg%. It's hard to find something they do well.

a3uge

Kyle321n

Quote from: a3uge on January 28, 2016, 11:52:46 AM
CSU is a mess. They're 339th in ppg, in part thanks to attempting the fewest free throws of all Horizon League teams and playing at a slow pace.  They're the 22nd slowest in the country, but still are 302nd in ORtg, which is bad. They shoot bad too... 306th in fg%. It's hard to find something they do well.

They are 82nd in block % allowed, so they don't get their shots blocked. They're 85th in Turnover % so they get some turnovers on defense. And the thing they are best at... Free Throw defense. Opponents shoot 66.9% and are 61st in the country.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

a3uge

Quote from: Kyle321n on January 28, 2016, 12:50:35 PM
Quote from: a3uge on January 28, 2016, 11:52:46 AM

They are 82nd in block % allowed, so they don't get their shots blocked. They're 85th in Turnover % so they get some turnovers on defense. And the thing they are best at... Free Throw defense. Opponents shoot 66.9% and are 61st in the country.
It's probably from the picture of creepy fans hanging on the curtain at the Wolstein Center. Must be pretty distracting.

humbleopinion

[/quote]
It's probably from the picture of creepy fans hanging on the curtain at the Wolstein Center. Must be pretty distracting.

[/quote]

I've never liked that backdrop and wondered if it was responsible for our traditionally poor shooting nights when we play there.
Beamin' Beacons

Kyle321n

Just checked it out, and we're the 58th best game being played today. There's 59 D1 games. By the second half it's going to be a  :snore: :snore:
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

wh

Quote from: wh on January 27, 2016, 05:16:43 PM
Guess on attendance 3500. Anticipated excuses:
•week night game
•students studying
•cold outside
•Presidential debate on TV
•bad opponent
•bad marketing
•seating too close to the action
•concessions too inexpensive
•free parking not as convenient as it once was
•growing local/regional population, so we shouldn't expect crowds to be as large as we used to have

Whoops, I missed one - it started snowing a few minutes ago. Never mind that it's not sticking.

Chairback

If I remember correctly didn't Vinny Zollo give the bird to the crowd last year?  Possibly to the student section. 

agibson

Quote from: wh on January 28, 2016, 05:29:57 PMWhoops, I missed one - it started snowing a few minutes ago. Never mind that it's not sticking.

Sticking on the grass!

Moderately ugly for walking or bicycling.  Roads aren't bad, but it's sleeting pretty good.  Not a great walk from the dorms.

Independent of the weather we'd decided that it wasn't worth going out for the first half (school night, kids to get to bed) tonight.

So, alas, I'm part of the problem. ESPN3 not working for me yet either... karma?

agibson

Quote from: agibson on January 28, 2016, 07:01:44 PMESPN3 not working for me yet either... karma?

Got it working... then it's "your event has ended".  Anyone else?

jloose128

According to ESPN3, the event has ended...

VULB#62

I got the first few minutes and then suddenly a screen came up that said the event was over.  Huh?  At least we were winning at the point.

agibson

From SID Aaron, "ESPN has had issues with multiple conferences tonight - league is working with them".

tuneIn working OK from wvur.com.

FWalum

Me to, I was getting the WVUR pregame on ESPN3 and found that unusual and then when the game was to start it said "Your Event Has Ended Thanks For Watching".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

agibson

Quote from: FWalum on January 28, 2016, 07:15:41 PM
Me to, I was getting the WVUR pregame on ESPN3 and found that unusual and then when the game was to start it said "Your Event Has Ended Thanks For Watching".

I got a couple of minutes of very low quality video, and maybe a minute of decent.  Audio problems too.  Some of the trouble may have been on my end.

And now nothing on espn3, of course.

agibson

Maybe a coordinated effort to drive a late-arriving crowd?

I'm at least considering going in for second half... But probably doesn't count in the box score attendance.

FWalum

Thought I would listen to Todd and switch the video over to IPFW vs ORU. Watched for a few minutes and then the same thing happened to their game only it would go off and on every so often.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Working fine finally for me. Where the hell are the students!?