• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Men's Basketball Receives $2 million gift!!!!

Started by vu72, January 27, 2016, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

:thewave:

The Schrage's are long-time BB benefactors.  Their gifts have helped create a solid program infrastructure.  Maybe with this endowment in place, some other existing funds can be somewhat redirected to start improving the ARC.

agibson

Interesting!  Not quite enough for an assistant coach, presumably.  But, something like a dedicated stream of additional funds, nominally to support recruiting?

VULB#62

vufan75

Thanks to the Schrage's for their significant support and donations to the men's basketball program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

bbtds

I should take back something I said earlier about the board supporting athletics facilities monetarily. There is a one great exception to this general rule--Paul Schrage and his wife, Jan, have been great supporters of the basketball program at Valpo. And remember this is the guy who gave the okay to put Willard Scott in a clown outfit and call him Ronald McDonald.

VULB#62

We don't really have a dedicated "facilities" string so I put this news here.  This was just received in MLB's first Crusader Report of 2016:

For Valpo Athletics, the new year brings big plans to upgrade one of the most historically significant spaces on campus. It is with great excitement that I share our plans to renovate the Hilltop Gymnasium this summer, should we be able to secure gifts to fund the project. The renovation will include the installation of LED lights, air conditioning, fresh paint, new metal doors, and window shades. Originally commissioned in 1939, Hilltop was the first building built by the Lutheran Education Association after purchasing the school, and served as the primary gymnasium and basketball venue for 50 years. With these changes, we hope it will serve as a premier practice facility for both basketball programs.

The changes to Hilltop will be one of two projects supported by the Basketball Championship Fund. The other component includes a significant renovation of the men's basketball locker room. Associate Director of Athletics, John Kuka, is leading the effort to secure the lead funds for these projects. These upgrades will further strengthen our ability to attract and retain the coaches and students needed to win basketball championships.

agibson

I find these facility upgrades easier to understand, particularly recruiting wise, than some kind of new or significantly transformed arena.

Two items, maybe even with some flash, that will have a significant impact on a student athlete's everyday experience.

VULB#62

These two improvements target the players (or future players) and for Valpo that's the important first step (when was the last big improvement for the program in this vein?). An improved game venue would be great, but we still manage to get 4000+ in the ARC for key games despite its shortcomings.  These improvements along with the $2MM gift to support recruiting will help Bryce land some significant talent to maintain the momentum we have gathered.

I am disappointed in the response from board members in this important news.  I think I will restart this in its own string.

atkins

valpotx

Hopefully both aspects keep Bryce around a few more seasons
"Don't mess with Texas"