• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/6 - UIC @ the Pavilion

Started by talksalot, January 30, 2016, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

A.  Does this game need a full thread?  ...When it's all you have to talk about...

so... next Saturday we go to the pavilion...to play the Flames who come in on a winning streak !

Here's their write-up on what they did to the Vikes on Saturday.

http://www.uicflames.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/013016aac.html

one word that jumps out at me "Raucous" to describe their crowd. 

The Box Score reports about 2,900 in attendance...seems like a typical crowd for the Flames this year.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ilch/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/box_score/stats_20160131aaa.pdf

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

Kyle321n

I'm looking at getting tickets for the game, but right now the only thing that's available is the corner over by the student section. I am planning on calling their ticket office to see if there's anything I can get that's closer to the Valpo bench or you know, in the center of the court. It's hard to believe the other sections are sold out.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

historyman

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 01, 2016, 09:06:02 AM
I'm looking at getting tickets for the game, but right now the only thing that's available is the corner over by the student section. I am planning on calling their ticket office to see if there's anything I can get that's closer to the Valpo bench or you know, in the center of the court. It's hard to believe the other sections are sold out.
They aren't. They might be holding them out of internet sales due to inviting several schools (mostly elementary) to their games which they did last year. Most of those seats will be on sale come game day at the ticket office. 
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

agibson

I was just looking at the same thing.  The on-sale seating pattern is the same for e.g. the NKU game. 

If you find anything better by phone, let us know.  Otherwise, presumably there will be plenty of seats available walk-up.  Hopefully you avoid Ticketmaster fees that way too.

But, what's with their pricing?  Only two categories?  A small number of floor seats at double price, and everything else is the same?

And that "same" is $25 per ticket for Valpo?  Even upper deck?

And, even for NKU, it's $20?  I guess it's Chicago.  But, it seems like they're not trying very heard to fill the Pavilion.

My wife's engaged all day, so I was seriously considering bringing the kids up for the game, some kind of dinner in the city, etc.  But, at $25 a ticket I'm thinking twice.

At least parking appears to be a deal... just $5 for basketball games, allegedly.  Not quite sure how that'll work (validation? can I leave the car there when I go to dinner?).

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2016, 12:05:06 PMAnd that "same" is $25 per ticket for Valpo?  Even upper deck?

Looks like the price for the VU alumni event was just $15/ticket.  I have an inquiry out to see if they're still available... Group pricing, perhaps.

The game may draw... VU alumni?... so maybe I should begrudge them premium pricing.  Almost 6,000 last year.  More than came to see Illinois play at the United Center this year. 

A down year for UIC, maybe.  But it's not like they were at the top of the conference last season, either.

agibson

UIC's Dixson picked up Freshman of the Week this week from the HL

Dixson is the Freshman of the Week for the sixth time this season and the fourth time in the last six weeks. The Freeport, Ill., native averaged 28.0 points and 8.5 rebounds in two games last week. He secured his fourth double-double of the season on Thursday night with a career-high 32 points and a career-high tying 15 rebounds in UIC's game versus Youngstown State. On Saturday, he led UIC with 24 points, including 17 in the second half, as the Flames battled back from a 12-point first half deficit to defeat Cleveland State in overtime, 72-70.

Dixson is averaging 21.3 points per game in Horizon League contests to rank third in the League.

UIC returns to the hardwood on Saturday when it visits first-place Valparaiso.

even if they can't get the home/away schedule straightened out.  (As an aside, they _still_ aren't including conference-games-only stats in their otherwise very handy pdf statistical releases; I was hoping they'd show up once we had a decent sample of conference games, but half-way through the season I'm losing my optimism.)

agibson

Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2016, 12:13:07 PMLooks like the pice for the VU alumni event was just $15/ticket.  I have an inquiry out to see if they're still available... Group pricing, perhaps.

I'm told that there are still tickets ($15) available in the VU block.  I'm not sure where the seats are.  But, I'm told that if you buy tickets (in advance, from the Alumni Office) for just the game they can be collected at Will Call with a photo ID.

Alumni are likely to have an email or two announcing the event.  Or give the Alumni Office a call.  Or, send me a message and I can give you the URL for electronic signup/payment.

There's also an option with a bus ride from Valpo and (or maybe and/or?) an alumni reception, etc.

Kyle321n

Last time I got tickets through that avenue my group (we had 6 people) was placed in two separate sections even though we ordered the 6 together, went in at the same time and picked up tickets from will call at the same time. Half the tickets were also in the last row in the far corner (Section 117) and it was tough to see the game on the opposite end of the court. Pretty disappointing to say the least. I wasn't able to call the UIC ticket office, but frankly I don't trust their will call system when it comes to opposing teams tickets as it seems they are shuffled and handed out randomly.

*Note, this has nothing to do with the Valpo ticket office as they didn't have anything to do with how UIC handled their ticket will call for the VU group.*

agibson

Interesting.  Doesn't sound like a great operation.

My kids are pretty young, and are used to spreading out in the ARC.  I figure there's a fair chance we end up sprawled out in the upper deck eventually - there should be at least a few thousand empty seats.  If our assigned seats are poor, maybe it happens sooner rather than later.

talksalot

Butler did that at Hinkle... you got a maximum of 3 seats together... and all were completely surrounded by other season ticket holders....

That happened two years in a row for us...   This is chapter 3 in the "How to control the visibility and decibel level of your opposition crowd" book.

Chapter 1 is only schedule games with opponents more than 500 miles away
Chapter 2 is only schedule games with opponents with RPI of 250 or higher

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2016, 01:36:43 PM
Interesting.  Doesn't sound like a great operation.

My kids are pretty young, and are used to spreading out in the ARC.  I figure there's a fair chance we end up sprawled out in the upper deck eventually - there should be at least a few thousand empty seats.  If our assigned seats are poor, maybe it happens sooner rather than later.

If this was hockey I would totally buy seats in the upper deck and enjoy the game from up there, but in my experience basketball is better the closer to the action you are.

StlVUFan

I saw the same thing for their NIU game, and there were tons of fans who came to that game "dressed as empty chairs" (tm Jon Rooney).  I don't know what the hell is going on with their on-line site, but something is weird.

Isn't there an alumni event for that game?  That may be the way to go.

Kyle321n

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2016, 01:54:12 PM
I saw the same thing for their NIU game, and there were tons of fans who came to that game "dressed as empty chairs" (tm Jon Rooney).  I don't know what the hell is going on with their on-line site, but something is weird.

Tried that last season. Ended up with bad results. Not going through that again.

StlVUFan

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 01, 2016, 02:19:44 PM
Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2016, 01:54:12 PM

Tried that last season. Ended up with bad results. Not going through that again.
Sorry, that post must have slipped my mind ;)

frontrowfan

I went ahead and ordered 4 in section 106 in the corner.   The Valpo fan section was nose bleed last year.

historyman

Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2016, 12:05:06 PMAt least parking appears to be a deal... just $5 for basketball games, allegedly.  Not quite sure how that'll work (validation? can I leave the car there when I go to dinner?).

I believe there are some free parking spots in the UIC Pavilion garage. There are some close up ones that UIC sells to a few parking companies that maintain the garage but after they sell their spots the garage is open, I believe, for free parking. At least that is how it has worked out for me on previous visits to UIC.

FYI, the entrance ramps from Roosevelt and Taylor streets to northbound (West) I-94 Dan Ryan were closed this summer.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

StlVUFan

Quote from: historyman on February 01, 2016, 04:59:14 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 01, 2016, 12:05:06 PMAt least parking appears to be a deal... just $5 for basketball games, allegedly.  Not quite sure how that'll work (validation? can I leave the car there when I go to dinner?).

I believe there are some free parking spots in the UIC Pavilion garage. There are some close up ones that UIC sells to a few parking companies that maintain the garage but after they sell their spots the garage is open, I believe, for free parking. At least that is how it has worked out for me on previous visits to UIC.

FYI, the entrance ramps from Roosevelt and Taylor streets to northbound (West) I-94 Dan Ryan were closed this summer.

The parking lot across from the Pavillion is only 5 bucks.

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on February 01, 2016, 10:15:26 PMThe parking lot across from the Pavillion is only 5 bucks.

For basketball games.  Right, that's what I saw from their web page.

But, now I'm curious about the free one!

historyman

Here is the website for buying "game only" tickets for the Valpo at UIC game on 2/6/2016 from the VU Alumni Association:

http://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/index.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=1647&content_id=1714

These tickets can be picked up at will call at the Pavilion.

[/size]You can also register and pay for the pre-game event at 1200 Harrison and the bus ride to UIC

[/size]http://alumni.valpo.edu/s/1347/index.aspx?sid=1347&gid=1&pgid=1647&crid=0&calpgid=906&calcid=2190

agibson, it does sound like I got lucky one year because I got there kind of late and the money-taking attendant at the Pavilion garage left for a personal reason.[/font]

wh

Does anyone have an idea what a victory over UIC would do to our RPI?  They currently have the 2nd worst RPI in college basketball (350 of 351).

Kyle321n

Quote from: wh on February 02, 2016, 08:40:44 AM
Does anyone have an idea what a victory over UIC would do to our RPI?  They currently have the 2nd worst RPI in college basketball (350 of 351).

We're going to lose some RPI points playing this game, hopefully it won't cost us too many slots.

a3uge

We'll lose about 9 spots with the win.

Yeah, its disgusting.

SanityLost17

Unfortunately, it is what it is.  We have to keep winning these types of games by 25+.  Won't help our RPI, but it may translate into some positive public perception.   "Yes, our RPI has fallen because of an extremely weak bottom half of the HL, but look what we were able to do to those teams, even on the road." 

If the game at UIC is close, it kills our RPI and our public perception.   

VULB#62

But Bryce doesn't coach that way. Once a lead is safe, he takes the foot off the pedal and subs out the starters. In many games Alec only got PT in the mid 20s. That keeps the players happy and rested, but when all you see is the final score on the ESPN crawler and its Valpo by 19 (instead of by 25 or 30 as would have been the case if the starters were left in another 5 minutes) the casual observer is not that impressed.