• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/6 - UIC @ the Pavilion

Started by talksalot, January 30, 2016, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Quote from: agibson on February 06, 2016, 10:09:04 PM
Watching a bit of the replay on ESPN3 - has their product actually gotten _worse_ over the years?

Some of the fault may be with the production crew - my stream starts a couple of minutes into the game.  But, it seems to just break in with ESPN commercials at random moments, for long stretches. And jumps around in their own bar of location in the video.  Not to mention the complete inability to use that bar to scroll through the video in any reliable way... What a disaster.

MLB's streaming product was better years ago.  NBC Premier League Live Extra is better.
It seems to get worse every week, although the seeking has NEVER worked. Froze several times. I did manage to vine one:

[tweet]696154981452242944[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/valpovines/status/696154981452242944

bbtds

Quote from: Smj on February 06, 2016, 08:40:24 PMAs for tickets - it is stupid that I got better tickets by waiting and buying at the window just before the game.   

It must be the old ticket two step. They really do think the schools might sell out their huge allotment. Or at least really hope for that.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on February 06, 2016, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: agibson on February 06, 2016, 10:09:04 PM
Watching a bit of the replay on ESPN3 - has their product actually gotten _worse_ over the years?

Some of the fault may be with the production crew - my stream starts a couple of minutes into the game.  But, it seems to just break in with ESPN commercials at random moments, for long stretches. And jumps around in their own bar of location in the video.  Not to mention the complete inability to use that bar to scroll through the video in any reliable way... What a disaster.

MLB's streaming product was better years ago.  NBC Premier League Live Extra is better.
It seems to get worse every week, although the seeking has NEVER worked. Froze several times. I did manage to vine one:

[tweet]696154981452242944[/tweet]
https://twitter.com/valpovines/status/696154981452242944

It's one way to get payback without actually tripping the ref.  ;)

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on February 06, 2016, 10:15:09 PM
Quote from: Smj on February 06, 2016, 08:40:24 PMAs for tickets - it is stupid that I got better tickets by waiting and buying at the window just before the game.   

It must be the old ticket two step. They really do think the schools might sell out their huge allotment. Or at least really hope for that.

They *might* have been short on tickets.  They had the entire upper area closed.  They had four sections on the bottom closed, and portions of others (two closed for their beer area, two for another party deck - presumably the beer area people also had purchased seats elsewhere).  Another two seemed likely devoted to students, not that they were full (there were hundreds of UIC students; but I don't think 1,000 - and these sections were pretty empty during the second half).

agibson

Kolawole picked up Freshman of the Week honors

QuoteKolawole collected his first Freshman of the Week nod after scoring a career-high 16 points versus Valparaiso on Saturday. The freshman guard connected on 5-of-11 shots from the field and 5-of-6 from the foul line and added three rebounds in the game. The Rowlett, Texas native only scored 25 points during the non-conference portion of UIC's schedule and played over 20 minutes in a game twice, but has seen his role increase as of late as he has now posted five double-digit scoring efforts during HL play and has played 30 or more minutes in UIC's last four games.

I was impressed by him, along with Dixson.  Those two freshmen and Odiase (only a sophomore) could definitely be the kernel of something going forward...

agibson

The UIC post-game presser (edited) is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NKxVGGvGU

As my brother-in-law said, "This is great.  He talks about valpo.  The. whole. time."

He likes our at-large chances (thinks anybody who doesn't think we shouldn't at least be considered hasn't watched us play), and thinks it plausible we could compete in a power conference this season (OK - he's not sure about our depth... I'll accept that as due to not having checked carefully.)

Admittedly, he just lost big to us on his home court. But...

FWalum

Quote from: agibson on February 08, 2016, 10:05:49 PM
The UIC post-game presser (edited) is at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NKxVGGvGU

As my brother-in-law said, "This is great.  He talks about valpo.  The. whole. time."

He likes our at-large chances (thinks anybody who doesn't think we shouldn't at least be considered hasn't watched us play), and thinks it plausible we could compete in a power conference this season (OK - he's not sure about our depth... I'll accept that as due to not having checked carefully.)

Admittedly, he just lost big to us on his home court. But...

Might as well be a VU recruiting video!!

! No longer available
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show