• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/6 - UIC @ the Pavilion

Started by talksalot, January 30, 2016, 10:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

I prefer Greektown personally, and will probably hit up Parthenon while I'm up there.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 03, 2016, 12:57:59 PM
I prefer Greektown personally, and will probably hit up Parthenon while I'm up there.

Yeah, definitely also crossed my mind. My wife won't be alone, and I figured she'd be sorer about missing Greektown (opa!).

Strange justification, admittedly.  But, it may be that the kids and I would enjoy some dim sum more than she, while she might get more out of Greektown than we.

axaguy

Nice!  I had no idea that's where Little Italy was.

But... looks like Tufano's is closed this week?

For future reference, despite the name, I assume it's a restaurant, not just a bar?  Families are OK? (featured on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives, even)

I was thinking maybe Chinatown... (anybody have a favorite? I've only dipped my toes in)
[/quote]

You are correct.....sorry. Point moot because they are closed but it is a restaurant and a family place but doesn't have a kiddie menu, though, that I recall. There are other good Italian restaurants on Taylor St from Morgan Ave to Polk St in the west campus area near the hospital. Taylor is a main street just south of the Pavilion. Cruise it and you can find sandwich shops to fine dining. Di Francesca's come to mind, on Taylor. Italian and family place.  Not a China Town guy but if you don't mind a short ride head over to Navy Pier. Parking might be a bit steep but lots of places to eat and a "Chicago" thing to do if you haven't already. Just a thought..................

talksalot

The Blue Line stop at Racine is 100 steps from the Pavilion door.... 8 minutes and you're in the loop.

The South Shore train leaves at 6:22pm...to head back to Dune Park...Plenty of time to grab a hot dog at Gold Coast !!

agibson

Quote from: axaguy on February 03, 2016, 01:30:43 PMDi Francesca's come to mind, on Taylor. Italian and family place.

Nice - will keep it in mind.  No kiddy menu required, but I get slightly nervous when a place advertises itself as a bar/tavern.  As a kid, growing up in Wisconsin, we ate in bars all the time.  But, in Indiana sometimes they kick you out if you're under 21 (even if you're six!).

QuoteNot a China Town guy but if you don't mind a short ride head over to Navy Pier. Parking might be a bit steep but lots of places to eat and a "Chicago" thing to do if you haven't already. Just a thought..................

Should probably consider it sometime - I'm sure the kids would enjoy it.  But, I'll admit it's not immediately attractive.  Always seems very crowded, very touristy, etc.  I guess they do have a children's museum, that alone would probably be worth checking out sometime.

We're more often the museum types.  With some hanging around of Millennium Park/Maggy Daley park after, or a trip to a Rick Bayless place, or a stop by Chinatown or Pilsen, etc.

Thanks for the tips!

historyman

Quote from: talksalot on February 03, 2016, 01:55:15 PM
The Blue Line stop at Racine is 100 steps from the Pavilion door.... 8 minutes and you're in the loop.

The South Shore train leaves at 6:22pm...to head back to Dune Park...Plenty of time to grab a hot dog at Gold Coast !!

Here's the issue     http://www.nictd.com/riding-the-train/schedules/westbound/saturday-sunday

Saturday trains into Millennium Station

Dune Park 9:49 a.m.>>>>Millennium Station 11:10 a.m.

Next train
Dune Park 1:15 p.m.>>>>Millennium Station 2:39 p.m.

That's cutting it awful tight to catch the Blue Line from Washington & Dearborn to the Eisenhower(I-290) & Racine. You walk west 3 blocks on Randolph to Dearborn and turn left (south) about 1/2 block to the Blue Line entrance on left side of Dearborn. As talksalot has explained it's only feet from the Blue Line Racine station to the UIC Pavilion door. You go in the opposite direction of the train up to the street and turn right on Racine. The Pavilion is catty corner from the northwest corner of Racine and the next street, Congress.

EDIT: When getting on the Blue Line go in the direction of Forest Park.....NOT O'Hare

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8836076,-87.6275663,18.05z  (see the Randolph St/South Shore Line station/Millennium Station and the Washington Blue Line Station on Dearborn)

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8754737,-87.6569639,147m/data=!3m1!1e3

It's $8 each way on South Shore (Dune Park to Millennium Station--you can pay with credit card in a machine at the Dune Park Station)
It's $3.00 for first ride ticket on CTA and they take credit cards now. Return ride is $2.25 if you buy them together for a total of $5.25. If you wait to buy individual cards they are each $3.00.

"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Kyle321n

Get in at 11:10 am. Head over to the UIC area and grab a bite and a beer and watch some other college games. Show up at 2:30 to watch warm ups. Boom you're set.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

aleavitt

Just want to clarify viewing options for Saturday's game. It will be televised on Comcast SportsNet Chicago and available on ESPN3, but will be blacked out on ESPN3 in the Chicago market (including Valparaiso) due to UIC's agreement with CSN Chicago.

VULB#62

valpolaw

I hit up the Parthenon last weekend while I was in Chicago visiting.  Excellent food--I had the sampler platter.  There's also a Greek bakery right near it called Artopolous I believe that was recommended to me but I didn't get a chance to check it out.

agibson

It's been years since I've been there, but the couple of times I've tried it I've definitely enjoyed Artopolis (bread city!).  I've used it as a "stroll a couple blocks on your way to a dessert" kind of stop. 

The South Shore fares and infrequent operations make $5 parking sound pretty good.

HailVU2014

Valpo opens as 22.5 point favorites on the road.

All season, Vegas lines like this makes me wonder: Do people really bet on massive spreads like this in basketball?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wh

From the UIC board:

Poster #1
According to RealTime RPI (http://realtimerpi.com), ESPN, CBS and the NCAA RPI rankings, we are currently sitting at 350 out of 351. Only above Central Conneticut State.
No where to go BUT up!!!

Poster #2
Technically we can still go down haha but I like the optimism.  We could actually drop to last since our next game is against Valpo. That win against CSU was awesome and I'm hoping we'll have a few more this year.  I'm not pessimistic about this year anymore.  We all understand what it is going to be this year, it's just fun to watch the young guys grow.

He may be the most loyal fan of any team anywhere.  Probably a great guy, too. 

historyman

According to Google maps you could walk in the door exactly at 3:00 p.m. if you take the bus instead of the Blue Line if you want to take the later South Shore train at 1:15 p.m. at Dune Park.

http://tinyurl.com/h7os2at

BUS 60 at Michigan & Washington. 1 block south of Millennium Station on Michigan. It drops you at Racine & Harrison in front of the Pavilion.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

Smj

Seems impossible that there are no seats available anywhere except  in a corner.   Found some on stub hub for 50 bucks each - are you kidding?

I guess I'll just get tickets at the door and then move during the game to one of the many empty seats

Go Valpo!

talksalot

Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 05, 2016, 04:04:02 PMVegas lines like this makes me wonder: Do people really bet on massive spreads like this in basketball

Here's the Vegas Insider scoop on today's game

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/matchups/valparaiso-@-illinois-chicago.cfm/date/02-06-16

and since the odds change as people make and take bets.... here are the "Line Movements" from February 5th for the Valpo game...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/valparaiso-@-illinois-chicago.cfm/date/2-6-16

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 06, 2016, 06:39:55 AM
Quote from: HailVU2014 on February 05, 2016, 04:04:02 PMVegas lines like this makes me wonder: Do people really bet on massive spreads like this in basketball

Here's the Vegas Insider scoop on today's game

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/matchups/valparaiso-@-illinois-chicago.cfm/date/02-06-16

and since the odds change as people make and take bets.... here are the "Line Movements" from February 5th for the Valpo game...

http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-basketball/odds/las-vegas/line-movement/valparaiso-@-illinois-chicago.cfm/date/2-6-16

People bet on horses and what do you really know about them before you invest great sums on their speed?

agibson

Quote from: Smj on February 06, 2016, 06:20:23 AM
Seems impossible that there are no seats available anywhere except  in a corner.   Found some on stub hub for 50 bucks each - are you kidding?

I guess I'll just get tickets at the door and then move during the game to one of the many empty seats

Check earlier in the thread for comments from the UIC guy.  They apparently only release a few sections to Ticketmaster. He thought the box office could sell you a full selection by phone/Will Call.  Or, yes, I suspect there will be at least four or five thousand for walk-up sales.

Smj

Quote from: agibson on February 06, 2016, 09:42:45 AM
Quote from: Smj on February 06, 2016, 06:20:23 AM

Check earlier in the thread for comments from the UIC guy.  They apparently only release a few sections to Ticketmaster. He thought the box office could sell you a full selection by phone/Will Call.  Or, yes, I suspect there will be at least four or five thousand for walk-up sales.
I tried the uic ticket office and they told me to go to ticket master. ...   

Go Valpo!

agibson

OK - then this really does seem crazy.

vu72

Quote from: agibson on February 06, 2016, 09:50:21 AM

Just looked at Ticketmaster and found 26 seats available.  $25 each.  If it really is a sellout I'll eat my hat.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

bbtds

Quote from: vu72 on February 06, 2016, 10:00:38 AM
Quote from: agibson on February 06, 2016, 09:50:21 AM

Just looked at Ticketmaster and found 26 seats available.  $25 each.  If it really is a sellout I'll eat my hat.

They must be doing the old two step like Florida hockey teams do to Blackhawk fans so it's harder for Valpo fans to get in and spread out.

agibson

I assume smj didn't identify himself as a Valpo fan.

Near as I can tell Ticketmaster only ever had those three sections, lower deck, in the corner.

Do you have to go to the box office in person for decent service? Or maybe they only care about season ticket holders? Strange.

agibson

Pretty much crickets on the UIC message board. No game thread.

A white-out, apparently.  Free long-sleeved shirts for first 1,000 (! I guess it is a big school...) students.

talksalot

someone posted earlier that UIC has invited a bunch of grade-school kids to this game...