• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

The difference between a classy coach and Ray McCallum Sr.

Started by valpotx, February 04, 2016, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on February 04, 2016, 10:22:21 AM
This is how a classy coach responds to an idiotic player on their team.  From what I remember, Ray Sr. basically laughed it off as a non-issue.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/14712877/bill-self-rips-kansas-jayhawks-guard-brannen-greene-last-second-dunk-rout
I wouldn't call outing your player to the media as classy. I think Bryce is classy and can't ever see him do this. I feel the correct way to go about the situation is to ream out the player privately, but still maintain professionalism when talking to the media about the situation.

Edit: just watched the video - his response in the text comes across much more intense than watching the video, which felt more relaxed.

VULB#62

FROM THE FOLLOWUP ARTICLE RIGHT BENEATH THE LEAD STORY

"Here's a list of etiquette rules that certainly apply in all situations, but definitely demand proper adherence in late-game situations:

Calling a timeout with a few seconds left when you're down double-digits: Listen, coaches. You're not going to design some play that cuts into that deficit. There are no 10-point plays. Anything you need to say can wait until you see your guys in the locker room.

Leaving starters in and having them actually try to score with a big lead late in the game: What are you doing here? What's the goal? You're up big and the game is over. Why are your starters shooting 3-pointers and posting up? Why are they even in the game?

Fouling on every possession in the final seconds when you're down 20: Ahhhhh!!!!!! Please, please, please stop this. You're not going to foul your way to a victory in this scenario. It's just a bad move and you know it.

No pressing when your team has a significant lead late: Unnecessary and ridiculous. You've got the win. Isn't that enough? You're still trying to boost your turnover rate? Get outta here with that nonsense.

Pull starters when the loss is inevitable: Now you're on the other end of it. Your team has lost the game. It's over. Unless it's Senior Night or something and they're your only five seniors, please put the reserves in the game.

Don't trip officials: This is here because it happened. Yes, Oregon State's Jarmal Reid earned a suspension for his recent actions and he's remorseful. But this is just a reminder that any physical response to an official has no place in this game.

Don't try to fight court-storming fans: Yes, schools need to do a better job of controlling court-stormings. It's dangerous for all involved. But players and coaches -- and fans, too -- should try to avoid one another during court-storms or this might happen.

Don't miss the handshake line: By all accounts, Mike Krzyzewski didn't mean any harm when he missed a few folks in the handshake line after Duke lost to Syracuse last month at Cameron Indoor. But the best way to avoid any drama is to get through everyone in the line.

Don't blow kisses to fans for any reason, but especially after a fight: We get it. King Rice's Monmouth squad isn't sharing snaps with Iona. They're not cool like that. But Rice didn't help things when he blew kisses to fans after the recent brawl between the two teams.

No dunking with a big lead late: We'll call this the Brannen Greene Rule. Here's the thing. We're not impressed by your late dunk. The game is over. And you look like a jerk."

vu84v2

I was at this game and saw Brannen Greene do this.

You need to take this in a broader context. Greene has had multiple behavioral problems while at KU...he is not necessarily a bad or mean kid, he just lacks common sense and is sort of aloof. He was suspended for 6 games early in the season (including the Maui tournament, but ultimately reduced to 5 games) for complaining about playing time during and after the Michigan State game. Self didn't publicly rip him...he just suspended him. There have been issues with Greene in previous years that have all been addressed in private. Thus this public ripping of Greene was from doing something highly disrespectful (in the cathedral of tradition) and from multiple prior incidents.

a3uge

Quote from: vu84v2 on February 04, 2016, 09:33:11 PM
I was at this game and saw Brannen Greene do this.

You need to take this in a broader context. Greene has had multiple behavioral problems while at KU...he is not necessarily a bad or mean kid, he just lacks common sense and is sort of aloof. He was suspended for 6 games early in the season (including the Maui tournament, but ultimately reduced to 5 games) for complaining about playing time during and after the Michigan State game. Self didn't publicly rip him...he just suspended him. There have been issues with Greene in previous years that have all been addressed in private. Thus this public ripping of Greene was from doing something highly disrespectful (in the cathedral of tradition) and from multiple prior incidents.
That makes more sense in context.

FWalum

Quote from: a3uge on February 04, 2016, 11:20:24 AMI wouldn't call outing your player to the media as classy. I think Bryce is classy and can't ever see him do this. I feel the correct way to go about the situation is to ream out the player privately, but still maintain professionalism when talking to the media about the situation.
Bryce would probably find some way to say that "I obviously have not properly instilled a sense of sportsmanship in our players and I can promise you this will never happen again".
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

oklahomamick

I think Ray Sr. simply doesn't have any control over his players and team.  It's an AAU team and environment and it's been that way since he took over. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpo64

I think OK hit the nail on the head in his assessment of McC...Just note ;how his players act when in the huddle during a time out, especially in a tight game .

jloose128

Just accidentally turned on the Spurs-Mavericks game on ESPN in time to see Ray McCallum Jr. hit a 3, and then the announcers go on to talk about the "excellent job" that Ray McCallum Sr. is doing at Detroit-Mercy...

bbtds

Quote from: jloose128 on February 05, 2016, 11:01:12 PM
Just accidentally turned on the Spurs-Mavericks game on ESPN in time to see Ray McCallum Jr. hit a 3, and then the announcers go on to talk about the "excellent job" that Ray McCallum Sr. is doing at Detroit-Mercy...

Dad did his duty. Son is bringing home an NBA salary. Beyond that nothing matters.