• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2/11 - Northern Kentucky @ the ARC

Started by talksalot, February 07, 2016, 12:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smj

Hey - who is the kids with the yellow crazy hair wig at the games? (Got to be related to a player)  - Might need to win "biggest  fan" award....

Go Valpo!

govalpogo

So frustrated with the play in the second half of these last two games.  Might as well put the end of the bench in when the rotation has been playing the way it has.  No excuse for losing halves when you win the first by around 20 points.  Please put together 40 minutes against WSU.

frontrowfan

Quote from: Smj on February 11, 2016, 08:28:08 PM
Hey - who is the kids with the yellow crazy hair wig at the games? (Got to be related to a player)  - Might need to win "biggest  fan" award....

Go Valpo!
That's Cameron...he would love to hear that. 

frontrowfan

Quote from: govalpogo on February 11, 2016, 08:33:34 PM
So frustrated with the play in the second half of these last two games.  Might as well put the end of the bench in when the rotation has been playing the way it has.  No excuse for losing halves when you win the first by around 20 points.  Please put together 40 minutes against WSU.
Agree but really great offense from Keith.  Helps that he had shorter guards and could shoot over them.

a3uge

Feeling a bit down about a double digit win... But I guess the 2nd place team lost at home to the same team, and then to Milwaukee by 10 at home tonight. Wright State, in sole possession of 2nd again for a couple minutes loses to UIC.

So, meh. Come out strong and whip Wright State.

talksalot

They played without Lavonne Holland from the start, and Cole Murray went down fairly early in the game, sitting down at their own Free Throw line with a dismayed look on his face... and did not return.  That's two NoKy starters out with injuries.  I hope their injuries are not serious...

Kyle321n

Quote from: govalpogo on February 11, 2016, 08:33:34 PM
It's kind of tough to get upset over a win where the outcome was only in doubt for about 5 minutes in the beginning. Relaxing, taking the fit off the pedal and coasting to a win when up 18 at the half isn't the sign of bad things to come, it's the sign of a confident team just letting their guard down. You can't expect the team to go 150 mph every half of every game? They will turn it in when needed and have shown so, I'm not worried.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

nkvu

You know I really don't have a handle on this team. They are winning so easily in conference yet I just don't know if it's because they are better than last year or if the conference is much worse. I really can't see that T Walker and Skara have improved that much over last year.  Vashile seems to be even better defensively than he was last year and sometimes shows some offensive improvement but tonight I'm not sure he even hit the rim on what seemed to me to be some forced shots. Alec has clearly been working on his inside game but it seems there are long stretches where he never touches the ball. He doesn't seem to be popping out for threes like he could. Jabril had what, four steals yet turned the ball over like three times immediately after trying to take the ball down the court rather than looking for a guard to give the ball to.  Hamink can look amazing with some of his drives and finishes yet I worry that a tough defender could turn him over when he is playing point.  Maybe my unease caused by what seemed like sleepwalking through the second half tonight will be erased by a convincing win over Wright State on Saturday. I certainly hope so.

frontrowfan

Quote from: talksalot on February 11, 2016, 09:51:24 PM
They played without Lavonne Holland from the start, and Cole Murray went down fairly early in the game, sitting down at their own Free Throw line with a dismayed look on his face... and did not return.  That's two NoKy starters out with injuries.  I hope their injuries are not serious...
Looked like Cole Murray took an elbow to the bridge of the nose on during a crowded rebound.   Looked a little dazed afterward.  He did warm up prior to the second half but didn't appear to be fully conscious IMO

HC

I thought he hit his head when he fell during that scrun for the rebound. I'm a few credits shy of being a doctor but that looked like concussion face as he walked off.

Valpo played like a dumpster fire in the second half. It was almost comical how bad the basketball was the last 10 minutes of the half.  I'm not concerned though. I imagine it is hard to stay 100% focused when you are smashing teams every time out.

FWalum

Team looked absolutely BORED in the second half.  I am very worried about the competition this team is facing.  I don't see any of this getting us ready for a grind it out game in the HL tourney or in the NCAAs.  I hope the intensity in practice is a few steps above what we saw last night.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: nkvu on February 11, 2016, 11:42:23 PM
You know I really don't have a handle on this team. They are winning so easily in conference yet I just don't know if it's because they are better than last year or if the conference is much worse. I really can't see that T Walker and Skara have improved that much over last year.  Vashile seems to be even better defensively than he was last year and sometimes shows some offensive improvement but tonight I'm not sure he even hit the rim on what seemed to me to be some forced shots. Alec has clearly been working on his inside game but it seems there are long stretches where he never touches the ball. He doesn't seem to be popping out for threes like he could. Jabril had what, four steals yet turned the ball over like three times immediately after trying to take the ball down the court rather than looking for a guard to give the ball to.  Hamink can look amazing with some of his drives and finishes yet I worry that a tough defender could turn him over when he is playing point.  Maybe my unease caused by what seemed like sleepwalking through the second half tonight will be erased by a convincing win over Wright State on Saturday. I certainly hope so.

Vashil - 6 [MORE] blocks and 6 RBs; Alec touched the ball for a game leading 9 RBs and added 9 points; Hamink dropped in 12 points behind Keith's 16 and dished out a game leading 5 assists (tied with Jubril).  NKU came in with 4 guys scoring in double figures:  last night, one guy off the bench got 9 and no one else even got 8.  That is what makes this team so hard to beat.  Opponents can't game plan us, because if you focus on one guy, a bunch of other guys (not just one) take up the slack and kill ya.

justducky

The NKU defense was solid and their passing, cutting, and ball movement was impressive. Give this coach some time to recruit and develop and look out.

Quote from: FWalum on February 12, 2016, 08:54:03 AMTeam looked absolutely BORED in the second half.  I am very worried about the competition this team is facing.  I don't see any of this getting us ready for a grind it out game in the HL tourney or in the NCAAs.  I hope the intensity in practice is a few steps above what we saw last night.
I think we all share this worry. We know how well these guys can play both offensively and defensively but will they be able to perform in the upcoming clutch moments? On the other hand I sometimes suspect that Bryce is concealing a hat full of rabbits that can be pulled out as needed.

VULB#62

nkvu

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2016, 09:03:51 AM

Vashil - 6 [MORE] blocks and 6 RBs; Alec touched the ball for a game leading 9 RBs and added 9 points; Hamink dropped in 12 points behind Keith's 16 and dished out a game leading 5 assists (tied with Jubril).  NKU came in with 4 guys scoring in double figures:  last night, one guy off the bench got 9 and no one else even got 8.  That is what makes this team so hard to beat.  Opponents can't game plan us, because if you focus on one guy, a bunch of other guys (not just one) take up the slack and kill ya.

True. There does not seem to be any drop off through all 9 regulars giving Bryce the flexibility to go to the best contibutor on any given day. Carter's shot seems much better this year and D Walkers game seems to be coming around. The defence is totally consistent and needs to be as the offense can go through some serious lulls from time to time.

frontrowfan

Quote from: nkvu on February 12, 2016, 10:33:00 AM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 12, 2016, 09:03:51 AM

True. There does not seem to be any drop off through all 9 regulars giving Bryce the flexibility to go to the best contibutor on any given day. Carter's shot seems much better this year and D Walkers game seems to be coming around. The defence is totally consistent and needs to be as the offense can go through some serious lulls from time to time.
the only real question is the true point guard play.  If Keith goes down either temporarily or for a prolonged gig (a whole game) then we really struggle with getting the ball to the open player consistently.  E Victor and Shane have filled in but right now Keith is in his prime.