• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Does Keith Carter Deserve Another Year?

Started by FWalum, February 11, 2016, 08:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FWalum

From the sound of this article Carter Flourishing After Injury Scare it seems that VU is petitioning for Keith to be granted an additional year by the NCAA.  As a player into the 24th game of his senior year, conservatively Keith should have been on the court somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 games.  He has only seen the court 72 times, a paltry number for such a talented player. Does the experience getting Vashil the extra year help Keith's chances?  Does he even have a snowballs chance in H#77 of being granted the extra season?
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

bbtds

Quote from: FWalum on February 11, 2016, 08:12:21 AM
From the sound of this article Carter Flourishing After Injury Scare it seems that VU is petitioning for Keith to be granted an additional year by the NCAA.  As a player into the 24th game of his senior year, conservatively Keith should have been on the court somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 games.  He has only seen the court 72 times, a paltry number for such a talented player. Does the experience getting Vashil the extra year help Keith's chances?  Does he even have a snowballs in H#77 of being granted the extra season?

Maybe if he proposes to his girlfriend on senior day?

ValpoHoops

Josh Smith played in 6 games at UCLA and was essentially told by the coaching staff to "get the hell out and don't come back".

He went to Georgetown and WAS GIVEN HIS FULL YEAR BACK!

KC got hurt and transferred at semester. The next year, he became eligible at semester, but that "half-year" counts as a full season (I'm fine with this part).

Essentially, he played in two games at St. Louis before getting hurt and coming back for one (three total), and it cost him an entire season of eligibility. If Josh Smith got his year back, there's zero reasons....ZERO....that KC shouldn't get his.

Kyle321n

So if we get KC back next season... Look out. Seniors Alec, Jubril, Keith, and Shane? That'd be crazy.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

VULB#62

Could someone copy/paste the text into a post for those of us who don't have a subscription?  Thanks.

Kyle321n

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 11, 2016, 09:22:12 AM
Could someone copy/paste the text into a post for those of us who don't have a subscription?  Thanks.

Valparaiso point guard Keith Carter flourishing after injury scare

Valparaiso guard Keith Carter keeps the ball from Milwaukee guard Cody Wichmann during a game last month. (Kyle Telechan / Post-Tribune)

Valparaiso's trip to Wright State and Northern Kentucky was a whirlwind for Keith Carter.

The senior point guard missed the final 11:25 of the Crusaders' loss to the Raiders — their only Horizon League setback — after injuring his right foot.

Carter could barely walk the next day, sitting out practice. It appeared likely he would be sidelined the following day against the Norse.

But during warmups right before the game, Carter's foot began to loosen up. He played, and matched his season high with 16 points.

As Valparaiso (20-4, 10-1) prepares to play Northern Kentucky (9-14, 5-7) on Thursday and Wright State (15-10, 9-3) on Saturday at the Athletics-Recreation, Carter is close to 100 percent. He's not overlooking the Norse, coming off a win against Milwaukee, but he's especially eager to get another crack at the Raiders.

"We lost the first time at their place, and I felt like it was on me because I got hurt," Carter said. "We're definitely looking forward to that one."

Carter has been sharp, especially since the injury scare. He has 18 assists with two turnovers in the last three games, also averaging 8.7 points.

"I've been trying to take care of the ball and find teammates," Carter said. "I try to find them in spots where I know they can score, and they've been making shots."

Carter is averaging 9.1 points and a team-high 4.1 assists, to go along with 3.3 rebounds and a team-leading 34 steals. His 2.76 assist-to-turnover ratio ranked 47th nationally going into Wednesday.

"He's being that guy who distributes and gets everyone involved," teammate Alec Peters said. "He does that better than anybody on our team, and anybody in our conference. I know (Oakland junior Kahlil) Felder's a great point guard, he averages nine assists a game. But Keith's doing everything you could ask of a senior point guard."

Crusaders coach Bryce Drew compared Carter's college experience to a player at the end of his sophomore season or early in his junior season.

Carter, who has played 72 games, began his career at Saint Louis after he was a four-year starter at Proviso East and was the 2012 runner-up for Illinois Mr. Basketball to Jabari Parker.

The late Rick Majerus once mentioned Carter in the same breath as NBA veteran Andre Miller. But Carter never got the chance to play for the colorful coach.

Carter played three games as a freshman, suffering a high ankle sprain in the Billikens' second game. He missed seven games and returned for one, before it was announced two days later he was leaving the program.

Carter enrolled at Valparaiso for the second semester, and didn't gain eligibility until after the first semester of his sophomore year. He missed 10 conference games last season with a dislocated left big toe.

"The more games he's playing, the more comfortable he's getting," Drew said. "He doesn't have as much mileage as other upperclassmen.

"He sees the floor very well. Some guards only see inside or outside. He does very well seeing inside and outside when he penetrates. Sometimes that's rare."

The Crusaders, who have three open scholarships, haven't totally closed the door on the possibility of the NCAA granting Carter another season.

"He deserves to get it back," Drew said. "But there's two sides to it, so you just don't know. We probably won't know until after the season."

Carter would welcome the opportunity.

"I'm open to it," he said. "But I'm not trying to look that far ahead. The sky's the limit this year."
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

valpotx

The problem here would be if he is granted another year, does he leave for a Power 5 conference team? 
"Don't mess with Texas"

justducky

Quote from: valpotx on February 11, 2016, 12:19:29 PMThe problem here would be if he is granted another year, does he leave for a Power 5 conference team? 
Maybe Louisville?

ValpoHoops

If he leaves for a Power 5 school, it's no different to our program than if the NCAA simply says no. Give it a shot, the worst that happens is that he's not here next year, for one reason or another.

VULB#62

Would be a kick in the pants if he were to get that 1 more year after Valpo went through the process for him and then he up and just leaves  :(

SanityLost17

The NCAA is incredibly inconsistent and I have zero trust that the NCAA will do the right thing. 

I think we actually lucked out with Hammink not getting immediate eligibility, even though he deserved it.  We will need him more NEXT year than we did LAST year.   

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on February 11, 2016, 01:22:14 PM
Would be a kick in the pants if he were to get that 1 more year after Valpo went through the process for him and then he up and just leaves  :(
It would be heartbreaking, but we would be known as the school that advocates for the student athlete, making them the priority over and above the school's own welfare.  I think we already are that type of place with that type of coaching staff and it make me proud to be an alumni.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

Quote from: FWalum on February 11, 2016, 06:02:41 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on February 11, 2016, 01:22:14 PM
It would be heartbreaking, but we would be known as the school that advocates for the student athlete, making them the priority over and above the school's own welfare.  I think we already are that type of place with that type of coaching staff and it make me proud to be an alumni.

I agree on that point, AND I think that the kind of kids that we currently have and go after have a strong sense of conviction and integrity.  IMO the chances of a departure scenario are   v  e  r  y   remote

wh

Notes: Valparaiso and George Washington are meeting for the first time on the hardwood and both programs are in search of their first NIT title. ... The Crusaders are playing a week deeper into March than they've ever played before. Valparaiso and Houston met on March 24, 2008 in the second round of the College Basketball Invitational. ... Bryce Drew is attempting to join Scott Drew (Baylor) as the only brothers to ever both win the NIT title. Baylor beat Iowa in the 2013 title game while also coincidentally defeating BYU in the semifinals. ... Tonight will mark the definite final college basketball game for Vashil Fernandez, Darien Walker and E. Victor Nickerson. Valparaiso's coaching staff is still holding out hope that Keith Carter could possibly regain a year of eligibility. Carter played just three games at St. Louis before transferring to Valparaiso in the fall of 2012. Carter suffered a foot injury while at SLU and hoped to redshirt. This process is ongoing and may not be resolved until later this summer. — Paul Oren

valpotx

I hope that he is given the opportunity, even if he ends up using it elsewhere.
"Don't mess with Texas"

zvillehaze

Quote from: wh on March 31, 2016, 05:07:51 PM
Notes: Valparaiso and George Washington are meeting for the first time on the hardwood and both programs are in search of their first NIT title. ... The Crusaders are playing a week deeper into March than they've ever played before. Valparaiso and Houston met on March 24, 2008 in the second round of the College Basketball Invitational. ... Bryce Drew is attempting to join Scott Drew (Baylor) as the only brothers to ever both win the NIT title. Baylor beat Iowa in the 2013 title game while also coincidentally defeating BYU in the semifinals. ... Tonight will mark the definite final college basketball game for Vashil Fernandez, Darien Walker and E. Victor Nickerson. Valparaiso's coaching staff is still holding out hope that Keith Carter could possibly regain a year of eligibility. Carter played just three games at St. Louis before transferring to Valparaiso in the fall of 2012. Carter suffered a foot injury while at SLU and hoped to redshirt. This process is ongoing and may not be resolved until later this summer. — Paul Oren

It seems like Carter left SLU on poor terms, especially with Crews.  SLU holds the key to Carter getting a medical hardship year for his freshman season.  Now that Crews is gone, I wonder if SLU/Ford might be more cooperative?  I guess we'll see.

justducky

Quote from: zvillehaze on March 31, 2016, 08:28:36 PMIt seems like Carter left SLU on poor terms, especially with Crews.
Going way back I was once a big fan of Crews as a player. If Crews has created a permanent roadblock I will purge my mind of all remaining positive memories about him!   ;)

nkvu

We had two scholarship point guards on our bench that saw virtually no meaningful minutes this season. I realize Williams was coming off an injury, but Joeseph was a contributor last year but rode the pine this year. We are trying to get Carter another year and we recruited another point guard for next year. The fact that Bryce relied on a 6'7" small forward to run the point when Carter was out speaks volumes. So as I see it we will have two returning point guards that may just be practice players next year as they had no chance to gain meaningful experience this year.

We better hope Carter gets another year, comes back to Valpo, and the new kid is ready to run the point from day one.

Oh, and Bryce and Alec, you both have unfinished business at Valpo. Come back.

justducky

Quote from: nkvu on March 31, 2016, 09:23:57 PMWe had two scholarship point guards on our bench that saw virtually no meaningful minutes this season. I realize Williams was coming off an injury, but Joeseph was a contributor last year but rode the pine this year. We are trying to get Carter another year and we recruited another point guard for next year. The fact that Bryce relied on a 6'7" small forward to run the point when Carter was out speaks volumes. So as I see it we will have two returning point guards that may just be practice players next year as they had no chance to gain meaningful experience this year.
There are some similarities between Lexus, Max and ex SLU coach Jim Crews (discussed in above posts). As a freshman for General Knight Crews was a regular starter for an NCAA final-four team. For the following 3 seasons IU got so good and so deep that he received only spot playing time coming from the end of the bench. I wonder if Williams and Joseph might become inadvertent casualties of our overall basketball program success?

nkvu

So if it doesn't seem like Williams and Joeseph are going to contribute and Davidson is already an established practice player we better be really good in recruiting players who will actually contribute the next two years. 

I hope last year, this year and maybe next year don't represent a plateau for the program.

oklahomamick

Quote from: nkvu on March 31, 2016, 10:20:08 PMI hope last year, this year and maybe next year don't represent a plateau for the program.

The plateau would be staying in  the HL.  Let's try and climb the next mountain.
CRUSADERS!!!

atkins

I guess I don't understand why Lexus did not play more this year.  He's coming off a big injury, but is he still recovering such that he just cannot physically play at this time?  Yes, Lexus has holes in his game, but he was a very solid point guard for us as a newcomer.  Of course, E Vic and Shane were not actually point guards; Lexus clearly was a better guard than them even on his bad days and their best days.  I'm not sure what is going on with Max Joseph, either.  What am I missing?   

nkvu

Quote from: atkins on March 31, 2016, 11:19:58 PM
I guess I don't understand why Lexus did not play more this year.  He's coming off a big injury, but is he still recovering such that he just cannot physically play at this time?  Yes, Lexus has holes in his game, but he was a very solid point guard for us as a newcomer.  Of course, E Vic and Shane were not actually point guards; Lexus clearly was a better guard than them even on his bad days and their best days.  I'm not sure what is going on with Max Joseph, either.  What am I missing?   

I had the same questions. Lexis just may not have the body to play with the kind of talant we have now. I thought last year that Max may have been part of a deal that got T Walker to come to Valpo. Sort of a Mike Opland to get Dan Opland deal. But then I thought that he showed the potential to back up this year and then maybe run the point as an upper classman.  So what happened this year?  I'm sorry but Shane is not the answer at point guard. So why didn't Bryce try to develope either Max or Alexis? 

justducky

Quote from: atkins on March 31, 2016, 11:19:58 PMOf course, E Vic and Shane were not actually point guards; Lexus clearly was a better guard than them even on his bad days and their best days.  I'm not sure what is going on with Max Joseph, either.  What am I missing?   
What you are missing is the whole Bryce Drew tactical coaching philosophy. We live with those elevated turnover numbers because of the tradeoffs he has chosen.

We are one of the best defensive teams in the country. Same for our rebounding. We often have a guard going to the offensive glass. We have some quick, long legged, long armed ball players who have helped make this happen. It is somewhat high risk vs high reward but this approach has worked out pretty well. Not everybody has a 6' 7" or 6' 8" point guard backpedaling to the defensive end while others are still crashing the boards. Also EVN and Shane usually take a back seat to Keith and Tevonn defensively but are both superior defenders to Max and Lexus. Plus with our defensive size we could switch and then switch and then switch again with few size mismatches.

These guard choices have won us a lot of games this year and may have lost us a few as well. Now that I better understand what he is doing I guess I have learned to live with it.

classof2014

Should Carter get another year? Yes. Will he? I doubt it. If he doesn't it'll be a shame because of some very unfortunate circumstances for Carter during his freshman season at SLU, he'll likely be screwed out of  a full season. He had an injury that sidelined him as well as the passing of his head coach Majerus; he didn't fit into Crews' plan, and he didn't go to SLU to play for Crews.

I really hope that he gets another season. It happened with Vashil. Why not Keith?