• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

A Different Look at the HL Standings

Started by LaPorteAveApostle, January 05, 2014, 01:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

I really REALLY like these! Great job.

LaPorteAveApostle

Thanks!  I forgot that one thing I did add last year is an indication of which games were happening during the following week, so here's an update (already doing things wrong...what is this, a stat thread? : )

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 12, 2015, 08:23:38 PMThanks!  I forgot that one thing I did add last year is an indication of which games were happening during the following week, so here's an update (already doing things wrong...what is this, a stat thread? : )
Good thing it's not the Over-Under thread or historyman would have to check each game to make sure it was correct.  ;)

EDIT: wait a minute, wait a minute......I already found a mistake.............look closely at the dates and you'll see it. hint:when is Valentine's Day?

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

Kyle321n

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on January 12, 2015, 07:17:54 PM
Well, here we go.  But don't get mad at me.  (At least not for this!)

RAWR ANGER! UNABLE TO FIND PROPER DIRECTION TO EXPRESS ANGER!

But seriously, nice job. I love the pretty colors.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

Yeah, CSU is first, but nobody else already got to play YSU and UIC on the road either.  That'll even out...

historyman

tsk, tsk

I don't believe Valpo was in 6th position "last week" and moved up to tied for 2nd. Valpo only played one game and beat WSU. Which would mean Valpo passed up WSU, Detroit, Oakland and tied Green Bay by winning one game. You are saying Valpo was 3-1 and in 6th place. Am I missing something?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

HC

Yes you are...in LAA's system you only get credit for road victories and lose credit for home losses. Valpo was holding serve until that win at WSU.

LaPorteAveApostle

Kyle321n

*cough*an update would be nice*cough* ;)

Of the 29 Horizon League games, the home team has won 20 of them. The fact that we have 2 of the 9 league road wins is great. CSU has 3 of those wins and Green Bay has 2 of them. I'm not sure if that's a good sign that we have a strong upper tier or that we don't have a good spread of talent. Either way it's good that we have 22% of the road wins!
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

LaPorteAveApostle

LaPorteAveApostle

As always, these standings and the real standings begin to track one another more closely until the end when they're identical.

Notice CSU and we have earned our 3 road points over the same victims...we're really, really tied.

Also note that instead of 3 tiers of teams, as it appeared a week or two ago--the Good (us, UWGB, CSU), the Bad (Oak, UDM, WSU), and the Ugly (UWM, UIC, YSU), we now have just Good (us, UWGB, CSU, & Oak) and Not Really Very Good At All (UDM, WSU, UWM, UIC, YSU).

Ok, well prove it?  The only loss by a Good team to a NRVGAA team is Oak @ UDM.

...of course now that I've said that someone will try to prove me wrong, but you won't.

talksalot

oklahomamick

Yep, I put 20% of my paycheck this month on GB -6.  Easy money.  Vegas was off on this one...
CRUSADERS!!!

LaPorteAveApostle

another exciting week of basketball.  at this point the actual standings will be more useful than these because GB is #1 due to one fewer game, etc.  But for the first time I give you the If The Season Ended Today Tournament Bracket, based on the standings at the HL website...although the tiebreaker appears to be "season record".  So, yeah, I'll take it.

oklahomamick

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on February 08, 2015, 05:01:21 PM

another exciting week of basketball.  at this point the actual standings will be more useful than these because GB is #1 due to one fewer game, etc.  But for the first time I give you the If The Season Ended Today Tournament Bracket, based on the standings at the HL website...although the tiebreaker appears to be "season record".  So, yeah, I'll take it.

Still way to early.  We have to beat Green Bay at home and Detroit on the road.  I know, I know, Detroit just lost to UIC, but Juwan Howard Jr. and company are dangerous, especially on the road.  We have done what we are supposed to, beat everyone at home. 
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

Then there's that little game at CSU that could very well be a winner take all.

LaPorteAveApostle

Oh, I agree, but look at the compelling bracket that sets up--another UDM-OAK game, another OAK-VU game, just going by seeds...

talksalot

and that little game starts at 9pm central, 10pm eastern.... might be a lot of (yawn) fun...

oklahomamick

I don't want Oakland again.  We always get their best game, that's dangerous

I didn't see the defending champs, UWM in the bracket?
CRUSADERS!!!

HC

They've been given the banhammer for this postseason...don't get the grades, don't get to play  :thumbsup:

LaPorteAveApostle

forgot to flog UDM sufficiently for losing to UIC at home.

Gosh, the gap between the haves and have-nots has rarely been so clear.  What I mentioned last week still applies--the only win the bad teams have over the good is UDM vs. Oakland...

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 08, 2015, 06:37:03 PMI didn't see the defending champs, UWM in the bracket?

Do you sit back and laugh your head off after you post these questions?

They seem like innocent questions but this is your third "you-don't-know-but-you-should-know" question?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

oklahomamick

Quote from: historyman on February 08, 2015, 09:05:43 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 08, 2015, 06:37:03 PMI didn't see the defending champs, UWM in the bracket?

Do you sit back and laugh your head off after you post these questions?

They seem like innocent questions but this is your third "you-don't-know-but-you-should-know" question?

;D  I was being sarcastic, it was a joke.  What were the other two questions, "I should have known?"
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

I miss UWM. Their fans would get really upset if you referred to them as a commuter school.