• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

ESPN bracketology

Started by oklahomamick, February 02, 2015, 08:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: agibson on March 13, 2015, 12:50:09 PMAnd yeah, this year, I hope we can stay out of the 14.
I would only like the 14 if we were to get Maryland in Columbus or Louisville.  Maryland is a good match for us, but they do seem to win many of the close (less than 3 points) games.

agibson

Quote from: covufan on March 13, 2015, 01:05:48 PMI would only like the 14 if we were to get Maryland in Columbus or Louisville.  Maryland is a good match for us, but they do seem to win many of the close (less than 3 points) games.

I would love to see Seth Davis' twitter feed if we managed to beat Maryland in a 14-3 game.  (Thinking back to the week, or several weeks?, when he ranked us in preference to them in the top 25.)

wh

Newest Update - Jerry Palm/CBS Bracketology:

Butler (5) vs. Valparaiso (12) in Charlotte                     

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

vu72

I just wonder how Butler, who lost in their quarter-finals, makes it to a 5.  I'd love it but I do wonder...  ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

And no one on this team, except Vashil I believe, has ever taken the floor against a Butler team and has zero personal context.  So it would be great for us veteran fans, but the kids in school today and the players won't get the same flow of adrenaline as us -- that is....... if it comes to be.

ValpoHoops

We played Butler three times in 2011-2012. The only current player on the roster then was, indeed, Vashil. He did not, however, see any playing time in the three games.

FWalum

Quote from: VULB#62 on March 14, 2015, 10:03:29 AM
And no one on this team, except Vashil I believe, has ever taken the floor against a Butler team and has zero personal context.  So it would be great for us veteran fans, but the kids in school today and the players won't get the same flow of adrenaline as us -- that is....... if it comes to be.
I think you are really underselling what this matchup would mean to the team and at least every fan in the senior class.  The defection of Butler from the HL was a HUGE deal and I guarantee that every player on the team is aware of the recent history between VU and Butler. I think the adrenaline will be flowing a plenty..... if it comes to be. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

wh

I'm sure Alec would love to play Butler. Alec was heavily recruited by Butler. They offered him a scholarship and then lost interest in him later in favor of Chrabascz. Some of their message board fans continue to compare the 2 ( more so last year than this), and have questioned the decision. Now that they're winning and Chrabascz is a solid contributor, they've moved on. I'm guessing Alec would like to see if he could score a hoop or 2 against them.  ;)

Aside from that I'm not sure what the point is about the players not being personally excited or intrigued or whatever by playing Butler. Even if true, so what?  Fans on both sides would be greatly interested in it. There are a lot of great story lines, e.g., our 4 game winning streak, Butlers refusal to play us despite "repeated attempts" by ml to schedule them, etc. Lastly, compare this year's Valpo team not to the Broekhoff 12-13 team, but the Broekhoff 11-12 team that lost to Detroit in the HL tourney championship game. That's how much better we are now than the last time we played and swept them.

Or, we could play Utah or someone else we have absolutely zero connection to...

VULB#62

Geez you guys!  Yes,  Alex will be motivated, and, if you had really read my initial post on this, I did not say they won't be excited. The kids on this team will be thrilled to play wherever they land in the bracket and Butler being an in-state team will make for an intriguing matchup because we recruit against them.  And the adrenaline will flow.  My point was about us -- the vets, the old-timers, the old farts.  Us old-timers have much bigger chips on our shoulders based on a deep, deep history.  The adrenaline I was referring to is different. I know my adrenaline will have at least 20% bile as a component -- that's where the context comes in. 

wh

Look at what Lunardi now has:

Baylor (4) vs. Valpo (13) in Jacksonville (East Regional)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology/_/iteration/257

Palm now has:

Arkansas (5) vs. Valpo (12) in Pittsburgh (East Regional)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology

a3uge

Lunardi has St Francis (PA) as a 9 seed at-large!

valpopal

Quote from: a3uge on March 15, 2015, 11:07:08 AM
Lunardi has St Francis (PA) as a 9 seed at-large!

He also still has Valpo (13) playing Baylor (4) in Jacksonville!

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Just replaced with "Saint Johns"... the next school alphabetically on the list...  Whooops !

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 15, 2015, 02:24:48 PM
Just replaced with "Saint Johns"... the next school alphabetically on the list...  Whooops !

Intern getting a talking to?

wh

The logic and rationale used by the selection committee of clustering teams by geographic proximity and using the "eye test" renders Bracketology prognostication of very limited value. Personally, I will be paying far less attention to "Bracketology speak" next year.

FWalum

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2015, 12:42:58 PM
The logic and rationale used by the selection committee of clustering teams by geographic proximity and using the "eye test" renders Bracketology prognostication of very limited value. Personally, I will be paying far less attention to "Bracketology speak" next year.

Agreed, I think it is a travesty when someone like a Colorado State does not get in the tournament with 27 wins and a 30 RPI.  It makes a mockery of the whole process. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

a3uge

Quote from: wh on March 24, 2015, 12:42:58 PM

I've been trying to tell you all that they just get really drunk and hand out certain seeds at random.

justducky

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2015, 03:13:50 PMI've been trying to tell you all that they just get really drunk and hand out certain seeds at random.
Yup. Then they draw straws and the loser has to coffee up and rationalize the process to the media. I could do that job too except I've never been a big fan of coffee!

covufan

Quote from: a3uge on March 24, 2015, 03:13:50 PMI've been trying to tell you all that they just get really drunk and hand out certain seeds at random.
Where can I sign up or send my resume to be on the committee?!!?!?! ;D :cheers:

oklahomamick

CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

I think I'd rather play them in December at the United Center...

a3uge

Lundardi probably doesn't even know Payne declared for the NBA. He's clueless. Can't even pronounce our school name correctly, I wouldn't put any weight into what he says this early.

valpo84

At this way too early juncture, the key is that he has us slated to win our conference. Pronunciations, places and opponents are for another day.
"Christmas is for presents, March is for Championships." Denny Crum

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015