• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo in the National Rankings

Started by agibson, February 16, 2015, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: classof2014 on February 23, 2015, 01:27:12 PM
Quote from: truth219 on February 23, 2015, 01:17:41 PM
Let's play what if. What if valpo wins these final two games and gets in at least one of the top 25. Do you think that would affect ticket sales to the horizon league tournament?

No. The Valpo games at the ARC would be sellouts regardless if they are ranked top 25.
Quote from: Kyle321n on February 23, 2015, 01:50:29 PM
Quote from: truth219 on February 23, 2015, 01:29:05 PM
We're the sellouts last time we hosted?
Last time we hosted here are the listed attendances from ESPN.  I'm not sure why but the attendance of the Wright State-Detroit game was listed as N/A. There was a solid 2k fans there for that and most of the Valpo fans in attendance were actively rooting for WSU.
vs. Green Bay: Attendance: 3,285
vs. Wright St.: Attendance: 4,457
Yeah, these games will not be sellouts.  Very good crowds and a good basketball tournament environment. 

a3uge

The students being on spring break has to hurt these numbers - I'm sure professors/staff take off and skip town as well.

Also the short turnaround for tickets must be hard.

truth219

You gotta be excited about valparaiso basketball

talksalot

Mid-Major Power Madness Ratings...
http://www.midmajormadness.com/2015/2/23/8089873/mid-major-madness-power-15-north-carolina-central-makes-debut

Rank   School                    Last Week
1.   Gonzaga Bulldogs (28-1, 10 1st Place)   1
2.   Northern Iowa Panthers (26-2)   2
3.   Wichita State Shockers (25-3)   3
4.   VCU Rams (21-6)   7
5.   Murray State Racers (24-4)   4
6.   Valparaiso Crusaders (25-4)   6
7.   Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks (22-4)   9
8.   Rhode Island Rams (19-6)   12
9.   Iona Gaels (23-6)   11
10.   Dayton Flyers (20-6)    5
11.   Harvard Crimson (19-5)   15
12.   UC Davis Aggies (21-4)   14
13.   BYU Cougars (21-8)   NR
14.   Davidson Wildcats (19-6)   NR
15.   North Carolina Central Eagles (21-6)   NR

Dropped Out: Louisiana Tech, Green Bay, St. Mary's

talksalot

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2372914-ranking-the-best-mid-major-teams-in-college-basketball-in-2014-15/page/5

(Posted YESTERDAY) ... By Joe Menzer , Featured Columnist Feb 22, 2015

========================================================
Valparaiso's quiet-killer efficiency lies in the numbers, and its style of play is a reflection of the team's coach.

Now 25-4 overall and 12-2 in the Horizon League, where it holds a half-game lead over Cleveland State, Valpo shoots .468 from the field, while holding opponents to 38 percent shooting and out-rebounding all corners by the whopping average of 8.3 boards per game.

So it's no wonder that coach Bryce Drew's team leads the league in scoring defense, giving up only 60.5 ppg, while scoring 72.1 (second in the Horizon). That's a winning combination in any league and bodes well for the Crusaders to surprise some folks come tournament time.

You might remember Drew, now 40, as the then-Valpo player who hit the miraculous game-winning shot to secure an NCAA tournament upset win over Mississippi State back in 1998.

talksalot

you may have to do this one quickly...

http://www.collegecourtreport.com/

just scroll down to the "Mid Major Player of the Year Candidates"   PICTURE on the home page...

Finalists for the 1st Annual CCR Mid-Major Player of the Year Award

Lawrence Alexander - North Dakota State Bison
Ron Baker - Wichita State Shockers
John Brown - High Point Panthers
Karl Cochran - Wofford Terriers
Kyle Collinsworth - BYU Cougars
Tyran de Lattibeaudiere - Lamar Cardinals
Kahlil Felder - Oakland Univ. Grizzlies
Juan'ya Green - Hofstra Pride
Ty Greene - USC Upstate Spartans
Tyler Harvey - Eastern Washington Eagles
Corey Hawkins - UC Davis Aggies
Tyler Haws - BYU Cougars
R.J. Hunter - Georgia State Panthers
David Laury - Iona Gaels
Shawn Long - UL-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
Mikh McKinney - Sacramento State Hornets
Shonn Miller - Cornell Big Red
Mike Myers - Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks
Kevin Pangos - Gonzaga Bulldogs
Cameron Payne - Murray State Racers
Alec Peters - Valparaiso Crusaders
Jalen Riley - East Tennessee State Buccaneers
Justin Sears - Yale Bulldogs
Keifer Sykes - Green Bay Phoenix
RaShawn Thomas - Texas A&M-CC Islanders
Marcus Thornton - William & Mary Tribe
Seth Tuttle - Northern Iowa Panthers
Brad Waldow - Saint Mary's Gaels
Jameel Warney - Stony Brook Seawolves
Jalan West - Northwestern State Demons
Kyle Wiltjer - Gonzaga Bulldogs
Zikiteran Woodley - Northwestern State Demons

***Fan Voting for the contest will open on Monday, February 23rd, 2015!***    <Don't see it yet?>>

valpopal

Quote from: Kyle321n on February 23, 2015, 01:59:54 PM
Quote from: truth219 on February 23, 2015, 01:51:17 PM
I didn't think they were sellouts

Getting 4400 people to the ARC on a Tuesday night is pretty outstanding though. The GB attendance seems really low, the lower bowl was full and the Detroit-WSU spectators stuck around for the epic game. I don't remember what the upper section looked like but I'm pretty sure valpopal has a picture or two of the crowd.

My pictures of the tournament in Valpo are at the following link, and they seem to show an almost full upper section as well: https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157633581297051/

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2015, 11:04:32 AMbracketology has us against Maryland in Pittsburg.

Actually, Pittsburgh.   I don't think the venue at Pittsburg State in Kansas is big enough to host the first round....

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/sports/2012/7/13/MBB_0713122633.aspx?path=mbball

Logan Jones deserved to finish his career in "the Pitt." Gorilla my dreams!

valpotx

I might have to make my first trip up to Valpo since we beat the crap out of Buck Futler in the 2011-2012 HL tournament :).  That environment was amazing, and I hope that it can be replicated if we host again!
"Don't mess with Texas"

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on February 23, 2015, 10:13:11 PM
Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2015, 11:21:25 AM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 23, 2015, 11:04:32 AMbracketology has us against Maryland in Pittsburg.

Actually, Pittsburgh.   I don't think the venue at Pittsburg State in Kansas is big enough to host the first round....

http://www.pittstategorillas.com/sports/2012/7/13/MBB_0713122633.aspx?path=mbball

Logan Jones deserved to finish his career in "the Pitt." Gorilla my dreams!
Huh?!?!  If I don't understand this, something must be down in the weeds.

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on February 23, 2015, 10:13:11 PMLogan Jones deserved to finish his career in "the Pitt." Gorilla my dreams!
Logan is shown on the 2010-11 roster as a junior, but not on the roster the next year.  So, Logan was with Valpo in 2009, Northern Idaho (junior college) in 2010, and Pittsburg St. in 2011.  Three schools in three years, then did not finish. 

agibson

I bet we still get a vote or two.  Seth Davis?

sliman

Quote from: talksalot on February 23, 2015, 04:49:24 PM
you may have to do this one quickly...

http://www.collegecourtreport.com/

just scroll down to the "Mid Major Player of the Year Candidates"   PICTURE on the home page...

Finalists for the 1st Annual CCR Mid-Major Player of the Year Award

Voting is underway and Alec is far behind.  Any Chicago voters out there who can help him?
Lawrence Alexander - North Dakota State Bison
Ron Baker - Wichita State Shockers
John Brown - High Point Panthers
Karl Cochran - Wofford Terriers
Kyle Collinsworth - BYU Cougars
Tyran de Lattibeaudiere - Lamar Cardinals
Kahlil Felder - Oakland Univ. Grizzlies
Juan'ya Green - Hofstra Pride
Ty Greene - USC Upstate Spartans
Tyler Harvey - Eastern Washington Eagles
Corey Hawkins - UC Davis Aggies
Tyler Haws - BYU Cougars
R.J. Hunter - Georgia State Panthers
David Laury - Iona Gaels
Shawn Long - UL-Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns
Mikh McKinney - Sacramento State Hornets
Shonn Miller - Cornell Big Red
Mike Myers - Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks
Kevin Pangos - Gonzaga Bulldogs
Cameron Payne - Murray State Racers
Alec Peters - Valparaiso Crusaders
Jalen Riley - East Tennessee State Buccaneers
Justin Sears - Yale Bulldogs
Keifer Sykes - Green Bay Phoenix
RaShawn Thomas - Texas A&M-CC Islanders
Marcus Thornton - William & Mary Tribe
Seth Tuttle - Northern Iowa Panthers
Brad Waldow - Saint Mary's Gaels
Jameel Warney - Stony Brook Seawolves
Jalan West - Northwestern State Demons
Kyle Wiltjer - Gonzaga Bulldogs
Zikiteran Woodley - Northwestern State Demons

***Fan Voting for the contest will open on Monday, February 23rd, 2015!***    <Don't see it yet?>>

sliman

Don't know what happened when I tried to comment on the College Court Report voting, but Alec is way behind.  Any Chicago voters out there who can help?

LaPorteAveApostle

PEOPLE THIS IS RIDICULOUS

HE IS LOSING TO AUSTIN FRICKIN POWERS

http://www.collegecourtreport.com/ccr-mm-poy.html

a better link--hurry, to the battlements!!!
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

talksalot

Now he's losing to Mike Myers of Maryland Eastern Shore... 88% to 11%... LETS GO VALPO

agibson

The number of votes is pretty small, we can definitely swing this.  But we need your help!

http://www.collegecourtreport.com/ccr-mm-poy.html

If I've not read the rules, it means I'm not culpable for breaking them, right?  Isn't that what Paul said to the Romans?

FWalum

Voted, but he is way behind.  Come on people, time for a push on this one.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Smj

Thought I should let everyone know that   you can vote from each computer or phone you have... 

Just added 4 votes and it barely moved

agibson

Seth Davis left us off his AP ballot this week.  He was one of our more vocal defenders.  (Maryland came back at #13).  Maybe we were #28 or so in his book.

Probably not a good sign.  I was hoping for a couple of voters to hang around - and he seemed one of the more likely.  Maybe still a point or two in the coaches' poll?

talksalot

Still getting Votes in Both Polls... and I threw Murray State in...

AP Poll:
25   Murray St   26-4   79
Others receiving votes: Dayton 61, Boise State 53, Oregon 33, St. John's 27, BYU 21, Texas A&M 20, Davidson 18, Georgetown 13, Tulsa 7, San Diego St 7, Colorado St 7, LSU 6, Rhode Island 3, Virginia Commonwealth 3, Valparaiso 2, Stephen F. Austin 2

Coaches Poll:
24   Murray St   26-4   50
25   Ohio State   21-8   42
Others receiving votes: Georgetown 35, Dayton 25, San Diego St 22, Boise State 18, Oregon 14, Michigan St 13, St. John's 12, Texas A&M 11, Purdue 9, Davidson 9, Stephen F. Austin 7, Rhode Island 7, BYU 5, Virginia Commonwealth 5, LSU 5, Valparaiso 4, Colorado St 3, Kansas St 2, Texas 1, Ole Miss 1

a3uge

Valpo vs AP Top 25 teams: 1-0.

Feels good.

vu72

Quote from: a3uge on March 02, 2015, 12:48:04 PM
Valpo vs AP Top 25 teams: 1-0.

Feels good.

Funny how we both have the same number of wins and our strength of schedule (Sagarin) is 204 versus theirs at 273.  So the loss to Detroit set us that far back?  We creamed Murrey State?  It does back up my position that Valpo will be, at a minimum, receiving votes for the top 25 next year.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

talksalot

T-Shirts???

The clerk at the bookstore told me I was the First to purchase one... Wearing it proudly right now...

They are open 9-2pm M-F this week

Price is the Number of D1 wins, plus 54 cents, including tax.

a3uge

"Get your tickets online"

* Can only buy tickets to Natalie Cole.

It's things like this that really frustrate me. If we want to be the next Butler or VCU, we should start acting like a legitimate D1 program. No excuse why we can't buy tickets for Saturday online.