• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo @ UDM Wednesday February 25, 2015 6pm Central Time

Started by talksalot, February 21, 2015, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbtds

Quote from: truth219 on February 23, 2015, 11:39:30 AM
I am convinced that valpo can win out ans through the tournament.  What I would love to see happen is valpo make a statement.  Especially on friday in Cleveland.  We have really whooped anyone in the past couple weeks. I would love for us to come out and get a big lead, followed by a foot on the throat. We need to show how strong of a team we have by blowing the doors off of this road trip. However I will take any sort of win.

If they do it will take a very clean game with virtually no turnovers.

wh

From Detroit's Commissioner

Game #31: Valparaiso
Postby Commissioner » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Valparaiso
When: Wednesday, February 25, 7:00 p.m.
Where: Calihan Hall
TV: WADL/ESPN3
Radio: 1270 AM

Wednesday is Senior Day, and Valparaiso is coming to Calihan Hall hoping to clinch the Horizon regular season championship and the conference tournament host privileges and double-bye that go with it.

As the Moose noted recently, it's hard to keep saying that this is a talented Titan team. At some point, it is what it is, and what it is is a 13-17 team that has never clicked consistently and has now lost 7 of its last 10 games. But the Titans can play good ball at times, as shown by wins over Cleveland State and at Toledo and Northeastern (that is, we've got 2 road wins over teams that are leading solid mid-major conferences, and another over CSU, which could win the Horizon), and we won our last game with relative ease at Youngstown State.

Valpo and Detroit were picked neck and neck to finish 3rd and 4th in most pre-season Horizon polls, including the official league poll, but while the Titans have faltered Valpo has had the season we only dreamed of. The Crusaders enter the game at 25-4, with 12 wins in their last 13 games, including 7 in a row.

Valpo's starting lineup will probably be the same as we saw at Valpo three weeks ago:

F: Alec Peters, 6-9 Soph. (19 ppg. 6.7 rpg, .467 3P%)
C: Vashil Fernandez, 6-10 Sr. (7 ppg, 6.1 rpg)
G: Victor Nickerson, 6-8 Jr. (6.3 ppg)
G: Darien Walker, 6-3 Jr. (10.7 ppg, 4.4 rpg)
G: Tevonn Walker, 6-1 Fr. (10.9 ppg)

Behind them is guard Keith Carter (9.3 ppg, 3.7 apg), a 6-1 junior, and forwards David Skara, a 6-8 freshman (5.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg), and Jubril Adekoya, a 6-7 soph (4.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg). Carter was starting earlier in the season but has come off the bench since returning from an injury 2 games ago. We'll have to see if he returns to the starting lineup, presumably in place of Nickerson. Deeper on the bench is Max Joseph, a 6-1 freshman guard (2 ppg), but his time has been cut back with Carter's return.

There's not much more to say—by this time, we know what Valpo's got, and we know what we've got. Watching Valpo is a lesson in what Detroit could be. The Valpo kids play hard all the time. There are no mental holidays and no lazy-assed little passes around the perimeter. They play as a team. They don't make faces at the opposition, and they don't lose their composure.

In the season's first game between the two, at the ARC, the Titans held Peters and the Valpo bigs in check, but the two Walker guards ran all over the Titans, combining for 40 points on 53.8 floor shooting. Howard, Bass, and Jenkins hit double figures for the Titans, but our guards shot a combined 5-23 from the floor. Jarod Williams had his worst game of the year, logging just 6 minutes. We'll need better play from the backcourt.

If the Titans would get their act together, this could be one of if not the premier rivalry in the league, between the Horizon's two private schools, and the two with the longest, deepest basketball tradition. These two school first faced each other in 1920. Most the schools in this league weren't even in existence then. Valpo played in the 1964 and 1971 Motor City Tournaments.

We can play a lot better than we did at Valpo, and we can win this game. But then again, we've heard that a lot this year, before a lot of defeats. Valpo will be fired up, looking for the league title. Let's get a good crowd out to honor our seniors, including Juwan Howard, one of our all-time greats, and let's send Valpo packing into a must win game at Cleveland State on Friday.

classof2014

Valpo always seems to play well in Calihan Hall. We're a more talented and more complete team than Detroit. We should win this game by 10 or so. It is senior night and that can give Detroit a little extra boost, since it is Juwan Howard's final game and if he's on he can steal a game for them.

The only way Detroit beats us is if Juwan Howard has a great game, even then it'll be difficult for Detroit. Bryce will have the guys ready for this one.

Donjon VU07

One would think they'd have their cancer awareness night and senior night as separate games, to give cancer awareness the attention it deserves, and the seniors the recognition they deserve.  Nope, not Detroit.

http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2015/2/19/MBB_0219152428.aspx

Kyle321n

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on February 24, 2015, 09:30:03 AM
One would think they'd have their cancer awareness night and senior night as separate games, to give cancer awareness the attention it deserves, and the seniors the recognition they deserve.  Nope, not Detroit.

Maybe that says something about this year's senior class... Maybe rumblings of a locker room cancer dragging them down?
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

classof2014

Quote from: Donjon VU07 on February 24, 2015, 09:30:03 AM

They want more than 23 people to come to the game so they made it senior night, which perhaps some people will show up for, and cancer awareness night which perhaps some extra people will show up for. My guess is they're hoping to eclipse the 100 spectator mark tomorrow!

hailcrusaders

Early lines have us favored by 9 to 10...about 7 points more than I would have expected.
#CrusadersForever

oklahomamick

We had some good games when rowdy and company would go against jr.  Things have not been has good for the Titans since then. 
CRUSADERS!!!

usc4valpo

Nothing to be sorry about. I really want Valpo to win, but Detroit has moments where they are really good.  I hope I am wrong.

LaPorteAveApostle

I really like this quote from Alec about wanting to win this game:
Quote"I want it bad," he said. "I can't put it an articulate way, other than I want it really bad, and everybody on our team wants it really bad."

We win 78-67.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

Need to close the deal and win the regular season to set everything else up. Detroit will play hard and put up a good fight. Valpo 75 Detroit 71.

oklahomamick

I really like our team.  However, I'm not completely on board yet.  I know the only loses we have are a 1 point to GB and an OT loss in an over balanced free throw game in Oakland.  We have yet to play CSU and Detroit on the road.  We have already lost to 3 and 4 on the road (GB and Oakland).  There's a good chance we lose both.....And then all the fun we had talking about seeds and national rankings are gone.  We are good but haven't won a good road game yet.  We have taken care of business against the bottom feeders and stood our ground at home as expected. 

We have a good chance and the team do it.  Win on the road in Detroit and CSU and I lose my doubts. 
CRUSADERS!!!

talksalot

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AMWe are good but haven't won a good road game yet

I'll take the blow-out wins over JMU and EKY... both with long winning home court traditions...and the 5-0 Neutral-site wins.  Staying in Hotels does not affect this team.   #PositiveVibe  #iwantthisbad 

Smj

I like our chances but I know that anything can happen.    Howard is annoying when he struts around the court but when he is on that team can be hard to beat.

justducky

I always fear Detroit but anything under 17 turnovers and I think we win. Should be very close!

Valpower

Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AM
I really like our team.  However, I'm not completely on board yet.  I know the only loses we have are a 1 point to GB and an OT loss in an over balanced free throw game in Oakland.  We have yet to play CSU and Detroit on the road.  We have already lost to 3 and 4 on the road (GB and Oakland).  There's a good chance we lose both.....And then all the fun we had talking about seeds and national rankings are gone.  We are good but haven't won a good road game yet.  We have taken care of business against the bottom feeders and stood our ground at home as expected. 

We have a good chance and the team do it.  Win on the road in Detroit and CSU and I lose my doubts. 

Sorry, but I think these guys have earned their road-warrior badges already.  They've demonstrated the ability to win in hostile or unfamiliar environments and have played with the same composure and confidence as at home.  Any doubts I have about them are related to the overall weaknesses (such as passing, ball handling, and free-throw shooting) that have affected their home games too.  To the extent that the turnovers are attributable to youth or point-guard problems, I'm not going to complain too much.

Kyle321n

Quote from: Valpower on February 25, 2015, 04:12:26 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on February 25, 2015, 09:45:31 AM

Sorry, but I think these guys have earned their road-warrior badges already.  They've demonstrated the ability to win in hostile or unfamiliar environments and have played with the same composure and confidence as at home.  Any doubts I have about them are related to the overall weaknesses (such as passing, ball handling, and free-throw shooting) that have affected their home games too.  To the extent that the turnovers are attributable to youth or point-guard problems, I'm not going to complain too much.

Milwaukee convinced me of their ability to win on the road.

Detroit is a solid team, but they were swept by Wright St. and lost games at home to Oral Roberts and UIC.

KenPom has us as winning 66% of the time and a 4 point favorite. Bovada has us at -5 (-105) which is really tempting me to move on this game. Seems there's been some money on Detroit since their line is -115.

(If HL betting is your thing I think the -10 Oakland is putting up over YSU at the O'Rena is easy money tonight)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Just checked the league stats for conference games only. Detroit is scoring 2.5 points more per game but we are giving up 12.4 fewer points. That's a 10 point spread.  Advantage Valpo.  We have been averaging 7 more boards then Detroit.  Advantage Valpo.  We actually have a better Free Throw percentage.  That's hard to imagine.  Everything else is fairly even. I think their guard play is weak which should play into our hand as well.  It's pretty much the Howard/Bass show.  Stop or slow them down and we win.  If they stop Alec we know that we have multiple ways to score.  Not sure about Detroit.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

truth219

If we are going to need some star power. Whether it's Peters or the walkers, somebody needs to be a star. It's good to have all around talent,  but every great team has star power.

vu72

Quote from: truth219 on February 25, 2015, 04:41:03 PM
If we are going to need some star power. Whether it's Peters or the walkers, somebody needs to be a star. It's good to have all around talent,  but every great team has star power.

I think this team is as well balanced as any we have had.  I just looked at the stats and we have had 6 different players be the elading scorer in games and 8 different players lead in rebounding.  Don't know how that stacks up against others but I'm guessing VERY good.  Hard to shut us down when so many can step it up.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Help! 
Is anyone else having problems getting espn3 broadcast to come in?

Valpofan00

Valpofan00

Quote from: wh on February 25, 2015, 06:05:37 PM
Help! 
Is anyone else having problems getting espn3 broadcast to come in?
I'm getting it. It's just buffering a little.

agibson

I'm getting video commercials, at least.

WVUR 95.1 is actually broadcasting silence.  The rest of the radio network seems to be up - Course at Aberdeen commercials.  Here's Todd coming on.

wh