• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Post Season Awards and Tourney Predictions

Started by HC, March 01, 2015, 08:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HC

I think I'm saying this not because I love Valpo and want him to stay forever but because it's how I would look at the situation if I were Coach Drew. Is it worth leaving a place where I can do no wrong, I'm compensated well, I'm close to family, and I will have a job for life in order to go to a place where I can maybe compete for a national title (not a lot of these places exists as it is) but could also be fired in two years?

Assuming my bosses are able to pay me competitively with the other coaches at similar schools and I can get an upgraded ARC with a field house in a reasonable timeframe I see him as a lifer like his dad.

valpopal

Here is a good article with Oren's votes for the post-season awards and his full reasoning. I agree with almost all his selections, though I couldn't place Jay Harris on the second team. I'd probably add Charlie Lee instead. Also, though I think Alec was clearly the league's most valuable player, and I also would vote for him, I believe the rest of the league's voters will select Sykes because they will stick with their pre-season selection of him, as well as because of all the hype about him during the year as an NBA prospect, and the fact that he is a senior.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/my-horizon-league-awards-ballot/article_b3d651cc-c051-11e4-ae2b-b7c2fbf346d7.html

valporun

I don't see Bryce as another Andy Enfield. Remember him? He, the coach of Dunk City 2013 NCAA Tournament Participant and Sweet 16 Cinderella Florida Gulf Coast University, left the sun of FGCU's trailer campus to the shiny, money spenders at USC. I just don't see Bryce making such a brash decision as this just because of his record and better money he could get elsewhere. I've never looked at Bryce as the type of head coach to leave after a year that was so far above expectation that he couldn't pass it up. He doesn't look like that kind of financial risk taker, and he also looks like the type that doesn't let money control him, unlike a lot of coaches and schools that keep looking for the next Boeheim, Coach K, Jim Calhoun, Lute Olson, but keep finding the young guy that chases the money, instead of learning the game from the coach's perspective and learning his paces.

SanityLost17

Quote from: valpopal on March 01, 2015, 04:51:22 PM
Here is a good article with Oren's votes for the post-season awards and his full reasoning. I agree with almost all his selections, though I couldn't place Jay Harris on the second team. I'd probably add Charlie Lee instead. Also, though I think Alec was clearly the league's most valuable player, and I also would vote for him, I believe the rest of the league's voters will select Sykes because they will stick with their pre-season selection of him, as well as because of all the hype about him during the year as an NBA prospect, and the fact that he is a senior.

http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/my-horizon-league-awards-ballot/article_b3d651cc-c051-11e4-ae2b-b7c2fbf346d7.html

We are lucky to have such a great sports writer covering this team.  He obviously cares about mid-major basketball.  I do not agree with all of his picks, but he has a logical/reasonable argument for every selection.  Very well done.   

a3uge

Glad Oren doesn't get to vote for DPOY. I'd really like to see some actual data that supports William's impact on defense other than "he's stifling" or "he played well vs these couple of guys." Has a guy ever won DPOY with a defensive rating over 110?

wh

elephtheria47

Bryce's name already being tossed around for the possibility of DePaul's job. Chicago. Big East and TV deal. Building brand new arena in downtown loop. Would he pop for DePaul? I'd imagine there'd be "better" opportunities out there but DePaul COULD offer a lot and they did give Purnell about 5 years at it.

classof2014

I don't think Bryce is going anywhere. DePaul is a mess and has been a joke for the last 15 years. I fully believe Bryce has an opportunity to win a national championship during his tenure at VU. Valpo is on the verge of becoming the next Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc... many coaches would consider those great jobs to have, Bryce is currently working on making VU a top-tier program.

HC

As crazy as I think some of your posts are, this one I agree with. When he stays he will turn Valpo into that next tier between mid and high major teams.

Valpofan00

Quote from: classof2014 on March 01, 2015, 06:23:39 PM
I don't think Bryce is going anywhere. DePaul is a mess and has been a joke for the last 15 years. I fully believe Bryce has an opportunity to win a national championship during his tenure at VU. Valpo is on the verge of becoming the next Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc... many coaches would consider those great jobs to have, Bryce is currently working on making VU a top-tier program.
Honestly I totally I agree I can see Valpo becoming the next VCU Butler Wichita State or Gonzaga. It really looks we are on that path right now. Maybe the next 3 years a elite 8 final four appearance?

SanityLost17

Opportunity to make Valpo into a consistent tournament team that is always a threat to win a few games, yes.  National championship contender, no.  This post is the definition of fanatic.  Time to come down to earth a little.

Valpofan00

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 01, 2015, 06:48:27 PM

Opportunity to make Valpo into a consistent tournament team that is always a threat to win a few games, yes.  National championship contender, no.  This post is the definition of fanatic.  Time to come down to earth a little.
Do you think any of those teams listed think they had a chance to make it to the final four? It's March madness crazy stuff happens!

covufan

Quote from: setshot on March 01, 2015, 09:41:26 AM
As far as I am concerned it is no longer coach Nept. It's coach Bryce Drew. One hell of a job in recruiting scheduling,game management and image.He's my COY. Go Valpo! :thumbsup:
This is the ultimate compliment to coach Drew. Great to see, Setshot!

oklahomamick

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 01, 2015, 05:07:47 PMWe are lucky to have such a great sports writer covering this team. He obviously cares about mid-major basketball. I do not agree with all of his picks, but he has a logical/reasonable argument for every selection. Very well done.

Several have mentioned his reporting on the Oakland forum.  They think he's good too. 
CRUSADERS!!!

oklahomamick

Quote from: classof2014 on March 01, 2015, 06:23:39 PMI don't think Bryce is going anywhere. DePaul is a mess and has been a joke for the last 15 years. I fully believe Bryce has an opportunity to win a national championship during his tenure at VU. Valpo is on the verge of becoming the next Butler, VCU, Gonzaga, etc... many coaches would consider those great jobs to have, Bryce is currently working on making VU a top-tier program.

Let's just win the HL tournament and donate to the bball team. 
CRUSADERS!!!

a3uge

1. The head coaching job at Depaul is like being the CEO of R.I.M. (Blackberry). It'd take a complete idiot to take that job. Bryce isn't stupid.

2. Let's win a tournament game before saying Bryce is going to elevate us to be the next Wichita State, Butler, or VCU. Those teams have won many tournament games and have been national championship contenders.

classof2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 01, 2015, 06:48:27 PM

Would you say Gonzaga isn't a National Champion contender this season? Wichita St last year? VCU made it to the final 4 a few seasons ago, and Butler made it to two nation title games. Why can't he turn Valpo into a program like these or similar? You have to start somewhere. I agree we need to win a few games in the tournament for them to start contending for titles, who knows maybe this is the year of their break-out run.

You can't deny the potential this core group has. To me this team is a team capable of making a deep run in the tourney, is it this season, I don't no. We need to take care of business first, then we can discuss this team more in depth on whether or not they're capable of making a Cinderella run.

It's a tall order to become a national contender but I do believe Valpo's basketball program can get there. I'm hopeful, I'm a fan, I want to see the team succeed and put Valpo on the national stage.

This year's team is probably not a national championship caliber team. Next couple of years? who knows.

agibson

I guess ballots were due this evening?
[tweet]572205860719611906[/tweet]
[tweet]572206372928000000[/tweet]

Here's one other ballot
[tweet]572221246928265216[/tweet]

valpo4life

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 01, 2015, 08:03:15 PM
The tall order you speak of just got harder. 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

Bad thread to post this in. Let's not blow this thread up with this topic please. It is important to know, but not in a place where we are trying to recognize players and coaches achievements from the season.

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

wh

Quote from: valpo4life on March 01, 2015, 09:12:40 PM
Quote from: oklahomamick on March 01, 2015, 08:03:15 PM
The tall order you speak of just got harder. 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences
Bad thread to post this in. Let's not blow this thread up with this topic please. It is important to know, but not in a place where we are trying to recognize players and coaches achievements from the season.

Mick - Good article.  If I may, let me suggest that you add it to the following thread so it doesn't get lost in another discussion:

http://www.valpofanzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1678.25

chef

My ballot was very similar to Paul's. I flipped Lewis for Petros on the first team and McWhorter for Harris on the second team. I really think McWhorter is one of the most under appreciated players in the league. Had the same all-freshman team, although I voted Tevonn FOY. I voted Bryce COY. On a side note, I'd have no problem with any of the top four winning POY, but feel Sykes is the least deserving. Playing the same position and nearly the same role, Felder had clearly a better conference season. In fact, Felder's numbers of 19 points and 8 assists per game are as good as any point guard in the country.
One other item, not that Bryce would take it, but DePaul just needs the right coach to be an elite program again. They're building a beautiful state of the art arena right on the Lakefront, they're in the Big East, and they're in the best high school basketball town in the nation.

usc4valpo

If I am Valpo and want to keep Bryce, I would seriously consider renovating the ARC sooner than later. If Valpo wants to be a VCU or Gonzaga, they need better facilities to compliment the coaching. I also think the renovation is good not just for basketball but for the students and the university overall.

Even if Bryce wants to move up, I am not sure there will be many opportunities this year.

oklahomamick

I'm not worried about Bryce leaving just yet, but we also have a good staff and Powell might look at bigger opportunities and money.
CRUSADERS!!!