• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2014-15 HL Tournament Thread

Started by wh, March 03, 2015, 05:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

Quote from: historyman on March 03, 2015, 08:57:24 PM
UIC knocks off WSU by 3 and Jay Harris gets to play another game at the ARC!

Who told you so, baby?
A tale of two halves.  UIC is on a roll.

agibson

Quote from: talksalot on March 04, 2015, 10:53:53 AMDetroit is 1-0 at Neutral Courts, Win over Maryland-Eastern Shore and Mike Myers.

Ooh - a reason (another reason?) to root for Detroit?  (In other-thread news, Myers is down to 54%, but it's still going to take some work for the St. Mary's guy to beat him.)

vu72

What an idiot writer.  No research whatsoever.  Valpo's run to the Sweet Sixteen in the 80's?  Valpo's "high school gym" which is nearly twice the size of the "O'Rena?  And finally, the description of Valpo as having recruited "older players" when in fact we have one of the youngest teams in the country.  Other than those minor comments...nicely done.   ???
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpotx

That writer is actually correct that we traditionally did have many older/foreign players.  We had several when I was in school that were 23-24 when they graduated, and I believe that KVW was 25 when finished.  However, that was maybe one player every few years, with others being the more traditional age.  The comment about us making the Sweet 16 in the 80s is absurd, and someone should email him.

Is Kampe in love with us?  I get kind of grossed out every time he talks about us...
"Don't mess with Texas"

VULB#62

Definite unamerican VU slant vs. OU only recruits pure-bred US high school athletes. Ha ha.

a3uge

Grammatical mistakes, factual inaccuracies, and wandering thoughts with absolutely no direction or point... what an article.

ALSO GO VALPO:

THIS ONE IS FOR THE OLD FOREIGN GUYS

classof2014

Kampe's obsession with Valpo is a bit odd. Perhaps Bryce can give him a job as a ball boy?

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

oklahomamick

He's overly nice towards valpo in the media, but at home he has a dart board with Bryce's face on it. 
CRUSADERS!!!

historyman

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2015, 08:29:17 AMHe's overly nice towards valpo in the media, but at home he has a dart board with Bruce's face on it.

Why doesn't Kampe like Bruce?
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

arsenal926

So about this writer... Pat Caputo is easily #1 on Oakland's most hated media members list. The guy pays no attention to how Oakland is playing all year and will try to jump on the coattails of anything that sounds like a good story. Doesn't matter if it's true. I can't post links on your guys board, but needless to say you won't hear any OU fans deny he's a hack.

usc4valpo

I am guessing you are referring to Bruce Wayne, because of his stately manor and  how he was undefeated against the Joker and the Rogue hall of celebrity guest villains.

sliman

Caputo must have corrected his story because it now reads 1990s.  A

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2015, 10:54:14 PMGrammatical mistakes, factual inaccuracies, and wandering thoughts with absolutely no direction or point...

Sounds like many posts on this message board.   :)

classof2014

Quote from: bbtds on March 05, 2015, 10:30:26 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 04, 2015, 10:54:14 PMGrammatical mistakes, factual inaccuracies, and wandering thoughts with absolutely no direction or point...

Grizz is that you?!?

oklahomamick

Oren mentioned to Kampe's radion show that several fans from Valpo and Oakland get on the opposing forums.  I thought it was funny acknowledged that and mentioned it on the show. 
CRUSADERS!!!

justducky

Looks like after the initial flurry of activity mezzanine sales have slowed with maybe 1000+ seats remaining. Maybe some area high school fans whose teams will be eliminated in sectional semifinals Friday will travel to the ARC to fill in the gaps? It is hard for me to imagine 2 match ups like VU vs CSU(?) and GB vs Oakland(?) not being able to pack the building including those restricted view seats.

a3uge

Your probably correct, minus the grammar part.

agibson

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 05, 2015, 10:46:21 AM
Oren mentioned to Kampe's radion show that several fans from Valpo and Oakland get on the opposing forums.  I thought it was funny acknowledged that and mentioned it on the show.

Totally.  It's always amusing when someone does this - even happens in print sometimes.  Sort of like breaking the third wall.

wh

I noticed that too, but we've had big walk-up ticket sales lately. I don't know why a tournament semi-final game would be any less. Plus, Saturday is supposed to be a nice day - in the low 40's. Of course we have have the challenge of replacing several hundred missing students and staff.

By the way (and this is nothing new) is the college academic calendar never ceases to amaze me with how much time off students and faculty get - fall break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks spring break, every holiday known to mankind, personal days, sick days, and then they're all so exhausted when they crawl to the finish line at the beginning of May they have to take the next 3 months off to recover. Am I jealous?  And before someone asks, no it wasn't that way when I was in school. I walked 2 miles to every class in waste high snow and we went 6 days a week and sometimes Sunday.

agibson

Quote from: justducky on March 05, 2015, 11:07:02 AMincluding those restricted view seats.

Which are those?  If you get up high enough your view of the _scoreboard_ gets restricted by the tarp.  But, the view of the floor's fine, isn't it?

I always considered the ARC a sort of "no bad seats in the house" venue.

The sound system has been a little wonky in years past, but you see the court OK, no?

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 05, 2015, 11:50:09 AMfall break, 2 weeks at Christmas, 2 weeks spring break, every holiday known to mankind, personal days, sick days,

The first category comes a bit at the expense of the second category.

I always figured that the long Thanksgiving break (you forgot the week there) and the two-week spring break are a trade-off for skipping basically all the national holidays that fall during the term.  Skipping Labor Day always especially grates.

And, I think most students and faculty have a pretty high threshold for taking a sick day or personal day and skipping or canceling classes.  If students miss, the class goes on without them. It's not so easy to catch up.  Faculty have a certain amount of material they want to cover, and if they miss class they're often tempted to make it up, or cram it the remaining classes.  And, even if you cancel your classes your grading still remains.  Canceling an assignment would be a different scale.

Don't even get me started on grading papers, or all of the other work (much of it delightful, some grinding) that happens outside of the classroom schedule ;)

But, for sure, the academic schedule and way of life is pretty different from others.

crusaderjoe

Quote from: a3uge on March 05, 2015, 11:32:33 AM

Your probably correct, minus the grammar part.

Clever, if intentional.

vu72

Quote from: justducky on March 05, 2015, 11:07:02 AM
Looks like after the initial flurry of activity mezzanine sales have slowed with maybe 1000+ seats remaining. Maybe some area high school fans whose teams will be eliminated in sectional semifinals Friday will travel to the ARC to fill in the gaps? It is hard for me to imagine 2 match ups like VU vs CSU(?) and GB vs Oakland(?) not being able to pack the building including those restricted view seats.

I expect a sellout. Don't remember when the last time the lower sections were completely sold out with almost three days till tipoff.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

There's 3 total seats in the lower bowl left, all singles. They're actually selling lower half of EE and AA seats, which have some sales, and most of the Mez is over half sold. Since it's only Thursday, I would imagine its possible to reach 5k.

I really wish they'd build a proper under the basket section. I'd imagine the HL still has the ridiculous rule that Valpo's student section can't sit where they normally sit (this doesn't apply to any other school).