• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Things to do this weekend

Started by elephtheria47, March 06, 2015, 08:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle321n

Quote from: agibson on March 06, 2015, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 06, 2015, 10:15:16 AM
Since this will turn into a list of every Valpo establishment ever, how about a list of places to avoid:

* Broadway: Greasier than taco bell. Go to Jimmy's Cafe instead.
* Buffalo Wild Wings: For some reason it's always a huge wait and the service is slow and the wings taste different. Wings are ordered in quantities of shirt sizes, small, medium, large, and XL. Too stupid. Go to Wings Etc and pick up a tanker instead.
* Trails Inn Liquor: Rude, obnoxious staff that literally insults customers. Most people in Valpo are very friendly, but they've seemed to have cornered the market on jerks. Go to Buzz's Valpo Liquor instead and pick up some goodies from the discount shopping cart.
* Burrito Shop:  May seem like a decent Qdoba/Chipotle alternative, but it's pretty gross for even my standards (and I eat weekly at Taco Bell). Go to El Amigo for a Burrito to go instead.
* Any Mexican restaurant that isn't El Salto
* Any pizza delivery not Hungry Howie's (unless Valpo has Toppers now)
* Home Depot: Go to Menards instead.

* Dynasty Buffet
* King Gyros

Good fun for me to hear people's preferences!  I've not had any particular problem at Trail-Inn or their Calumet location (they're the same business, right?), but I might have to try Buzz sometime.

I've enjoyed Wings Etc so I'll second that one.  It's been a while since I've been to El Amigo  - will have to try it again sometime.  And, I suppose one of these days I'll get to Dynasty.

I like La Cabana fine, and I like Casa del Mar (relatively new, downtown) fine as well.  Both probably at least as well as El Salto.  Is Serranos new?  Pretty close to El Amigo.  Haven't been there.
Seranos is great. It's next to the Jimmy John's by the Ymca but being in LA this weekend I found out someone drove thru the jimmy johns there.

Quote from: Smj on March 06, 2015, 03:03:38 PM
How about a place that is good to eat that has a pool table?
You have to go to Chesterton for a real pool table. Upper deck or Brando's or if you're in burns harbor go to the mill.

And here's a shout out for my wife. Go to the Porter county museum. It's across the street from parea and the city house and it's a ton of fun for adults and kids.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

Kyle321n

Double post sorry
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

agibson

Quote from: Kyle321n on March 09, 2015, 01:43:08 AMAnd here's a shout out for my wife. Go to the Porter county museum. It's across the street from parea and the city house and it's a ton of fun for adults and kids.

I'll second that.  I've enjoyed visiting with my family, and would go back.  (My first grade son was unreasonably pleased by the skeleton hand in he old jail cell; after being a little creeped out by it.  They know their audience!)