• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Thank You Bryce!

Started by WiscoCrusader, March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WiscoCrusader

Dear Coach Drew -

You've outdone yourself this time.  I was watching the game with some friends a few states away from dear ole Valpo (near the heart of opposition country).  At halftime, one of the skeptics said, "You guys are going to need some serious halftime adjustments to pull this one off."  I said, "I'm not worried."  And I wasn't.

You and your staff taught Vashil how to DOMINATE the lane defensively, and his progression on offense is epic.  I remember his catch and dunk from his first year, and I compared it with joy on multiple occasions tonight with great respect for you and your staff.

You and your staff taught Peters how to play at a measured pace and DOMINATE when it matters.  He didn't look to shoot first tonight (that's what Coach Wardle taught Sykes to do), and he contributed when it mattered.

You and your staff taught Carter and Nickerson how to play defense with passion and rip the ball away late, preventing much needed desperation threes.

You and your staff coached this team through multiple seemingly catastrophic injuries, making necessary adjustments to near-perfection. 

You and your staff showed a group of mostly Freshmen and Sophomores how to play as a team and how to win with class.

You and your staff taught the entire team how to shoot free throws under pressure.

You and your staff led a young team to a 28-5 record, the best in school history, and potentially the highest NCAA tournament seed in school history.

GB came out looking for their first tourney appearance in 19 years, and scored just 19 points in the second half.  You even adjusted the full court press break away from "6th man Brian Wardle", who infamously and repeatedly tried to block the sideline escape with his ample bosom, in a clear break of coaching decorum.

You would never do that, Coach Drew.  You wouldn't need to do that.

SO proud to be a Crusader tonight.  Good luck with your well deserved 12 seed.   

I am looking forward to the next few seasons with you and the Valparaiso Crusaders.

agibson

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PMYou and your staff led a young team to a 28-5 record, the best in school history, and potentially the highest NCAA tournament seed in school history.

I almost hate to mar this lovely post with a reply.  But, surely we won't do better than tie our best seed ever?  Weren't we a twelve against Boston College?  Still, 12 would be the highest!

WiscoCrusader

I was thinking the tie goes to the runner.   :lol:

bbtds

Quote from: agibson on March 10, 2015, 09:48:47 PM
Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PMYou and your staff led a young team to a 28-5 record, the best in school history, and potentially the highest NCAA tournament seed in school history.

I almost hate to mar this lovely post with a reply.  But, surely we won't do better than tie our best seed ever?  Weren't we a twelve against Boston College?  Still, 12 would be the highest!

13 seed against Boston College.

wh

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PM
Dear Coach Drew -

You've outdone yourself this time.  I was watching the game with some friends a few states away from dear ole Valpo (near the heart of opposition country).  At halftime, one of the skeptics said, "You guys are going to need some serious halftime adjustments to pull this one off."  I said, "I'm not worried."  And I wasn't.

You and your staff taught Vashil how to DOMINATE the lane defensively, and his progression on offense is epic.  I remember his catch and dunk from his first year, and I compared it with joy on multiple occasions tonight with great respect for you and your staff.

You and your staff taught Peters how to play at a measured pace and DOMINATE when it matters.  He didn't look to shoot first tonight (that's what Coach Wardle taught Sykes to do), and he contributed when it mattered.

You and your staff taught Carter and Nickerson how to play defense with passion and rip the ball away late, preventing much needed desperation threes.

You and your staff coached this team through multiple seemingly catastrophic injuries, making necessary adjustments to near-perfection. 

You and your staff showed a group of mostly Freshmen and Sophomores how to play as a team and how to win with class.

You and your staff taught the entire team how to shoot free throws under pressure.

You and your staff led a young team to a 28-5 record, the best in school history, and potentially the highest NCAA tournament seed in school history.

GB came out looking for their first tourney appearance in 19 years, and scored just 19 points in the second half.  You even adjusted the full court press break away from "6th man Brian Wardle", who infamously and repeatedly tried to block the sideline escape with his ample bosom, in a clear break of coaching decorum.

I am looking forward to the next few seasons with you and the Valparaiso Crusaders.

Awesome post!

bbtds

Quote from: WiscoCrusader on March 10, 2015, 09:18:13 PM
Dear Coach Drew -

And showed Kampe how to coach with two players named Walker on your team!!  ;)

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

vu84v2

The original post here is one of the best I have seen. We all want Valpo to win on Thursday or Friday next week, but we all know the team will be prepared, play hard, and behave with class.

valpo4life

Going off the behaving with class comment. Anyone else think it was a very mild celebration at the final buzzer? The guys acted in a manner where they expected to win. Everyone went straight to the handshake line. In almost every instance, when a team wins a one bid league title it's a massive celebration as soon as the clock hits all zeros.  It seemed like our guys took it as business as usual, and I personally loved that. There's a bigger goal ahead.

oklahomamick

Quote from: valpo4life on March 11, 2015, 12:47:39 PMGoing off the behaving with class comment. Anyone else think it was a very mild celebration at the final buzzer? The guys acted in a manner where they expected to win. Everyone went straight to the handshake line. In almost every instance, when a team wins a one bid league title it's a massive celebration as soon as the clock hits all zeros.  It seemed like our guys took it as business as usual, and I personally loved that. There's a bigger goal ahead.

I noticed that too. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I have to think that the event security mentioned to the students ahead of the game, that no court-storming would be allowed.  They did this while I was in school, as well, and with some of the recent national issues with court-storming, they probably 'tackled' it ahead of time.
"Don't mess with Texas"

a3uge

Quote from: valpotx on March 11, 2015, 01:16:34 PM
I have to think that the event security mentioned to the students ahead of the game, that no court-storming would be allowed.  They did this while I was in school, as well, and with some of the recent national issues with court-storming, they probably 'tackled' it ahead of time.

They had the ARC on lockdown before the end. I think we're the only mid major in the country that won't storm the court after a championship. For godsake Detroit fans stormed OUR court after an anticlimactic win.

valpopal

Quote from: valpo4life on March 11, 2015, 12:47:39 PM
Going off the behaving with class comment. Anyone else think it was a very mild celebration at the final buzzer? The guys acted in a manner where they expected to win. Everyone went straight to the handshake line. In almost every instance, when a team wins a one bid league title it's a massive celebration as soon as the clock hits all zeros.  It seemed like our guys took it as business as usual, and I personally loved that. There's a bigger goal ahead.

I can verify that the team made up for that mild celebration with very loud and energetic celebration when they got to the locker room.

valpo4life

Oh I saw the video, Bryce got drilled by that Gatorade! Lol.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: valpo4life on March 11, 2015, 12:47:39 PM
I thought so too--for the little bit The Worldwide Leader permitted us to see--but perhaps we're skewed by what happened last time we did this--and the circumstances thereof!

If we had celebrated like last night THAT night...I'd be worried about our guys :)
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

FWalum

Quote from: valpo4life on March 11, 2015, 01:49:58 PM
Oh I saw the video, Bryce got drilled by that Gatorade! Lol.
Link please!
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

LaPorteAveApostle

valpopal

As expected, Oliver Purnell has resigned at DePaul and various reports suggest Bryce is considered a candidate on the short list: http://highschoolcubenews.com/2015/03/14/henricksen-hey-depaul-put-red-blue-bryce-drew/

wh

Same recruiting area, same recruiting contacts, same AAU programs, could literally take his whole staff with him, AP would probably transfer for a chance to play for the same coach and move up to the Big East, Derrik Smits would get out of his LOI and commit to DePaul. It is a realistic scenario that would gut the VU basketball program overnight and there would be nothing improper or unethical about it. Trusted assts. and key players follow their coach all the time.

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: wh on March 14, 2015, 06:58:41 PM
Same recruiting area, same recruiting contacts, same AAU programs, could literally take his whole staff with him, AP would probably transfer for a chance to play for the same coach and move up to the Big East, Derrik Smits would get out of his LOI and commit to DePaul. It is a realistic scenario that would gut the VU basketball program overnight and there would be nothing improper or unethical about it. Trusted assts. and key players follow their coach all the time.

wh

vu72

Yes, and an earthquake may hit and destroy the entire Valparaiso community and University.  Both events, would have the same result.  :(
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

usc4valpo

Bryce Drew would be foolish to go to DePaul. It is not a great opportunity. The athletic director is clueless and lives as if they are in the 80's. The apathy for basketball at DePaul is very low. They need a complete enema to be successful.

wh

HC

Not happening unless PantherU says so....even then, not happening.