• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Selection Sunday Discussion 2015

Started by historyman, March 11, 2015, 02:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which site should we use?

Yahoo
5 (22.7%)
CBS Sports
13 (59.1%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 22

valpopal

While we await the Selection Sunday party, I have posted a gallery with 80 of my photos from the championship game and post-game celebration, such as the one below, at the following link for all to enjoy and savor!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96208998@N05/sets/72157650840284917/

a3uge

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2015, 12:24:15 AM

The bracket is forming! Wonder when they start filling it in - I want to try to catch them putting Valpo up.

You know that is pretty much the view that the selection committee sees from the top of the Westin looking west down US40/Washington St.

Google maps streetview of Washington St in downtown Indy

In the google maps streetview the Westin where the NCAA selection committee makes their selections on Sunday is in the forefront while the JW Marriott is the blueish building about 2 blocks away. If you turn the view to the right you can see the Indiana State Capital grounds (the grassy area) and barely see the capital dome. Shula's Restaurant (owned by Don Shula) is in the bottom of the Westin.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2015, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2015, 12:24:15 AM

The bracket is forming! Wonder when they start filling it in - I want to try to catch them putting Valpo up.

You know that is pretty much the view that the selection committee sees from the top of the Westin looking west down US40/Washington St.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.767146,-86.163198,3a,75y,268.22h,106.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sR484mIHpJj0EqWRgllKNsw!2e0

In the google maps streetview the Westin where the NCAA selection committee makes their selections on Suniday is in the forefront while the JW Marriott is the blueish building about 2 blocks away. If you turn the view to the right you can see the Indiana State Capital grounds (the grassy area) and barely see the capital dome. Shula's Restaurant (owned by Don Shula) is in the bottom of the Westin.

I thought they met at the Conrad?

nkvu

Don't know what this does for us but Xavier knocked off Buck Futler in ot in the big east tournament.  I really think we would have a shot at beating Butler if we ever got a chance to play them. Xavier would be tough only because we could not match up with Matt Stainbrook. The dude blots out the sun and can pass out of double teams.  Vashil would foul out in the first half if he had to defend him one on one.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2015, 11:30:55 PMI thought they met at the Conrad?
Well, I better stop posting late at night. It's obvious I forget a lot of things that I thought I really knew. They used to meet at the top of the Westin in the early days when the NCAA first moved to Indy. You are correct. They do use the Conrad Hilton now.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11604671-123/rabalais-mock-ncaa-selection-meeting

The actual selection committee meets at the nearby Conrad Hilton in downtown Indianapolis, on a sealed off upper floor of the hotel.

Google Streetview of front of Conrad Hilton on Washington St.

a3uge

Quote from: bbtds on March 12, 2015, 11:40:09 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2015, 11:30:55 PMI thought they met at the Conrad?
Well, I better stop posting late at night. It's obvious I forget a lot of things that I thought I really knew. They used to meet at the top of the Westin in the early days when the NCAA first moved to Indy. You are correct. They do use the Conrad Hilton now.

http://theadvocate.com/sports/lsu/11604671-123/rabalais-mock-ncaa-selection-meeting

The actual selection committee meets at the nearby Conrad Hilton in downtown Indianapolis, on a sealed off upper floor of the hotel.

Nice. I'm going to sneak in and give Valpo a 7 seed. I live a couple blocks from there.

bbtds

Quote from: a3uge on March 12, 2015, 11:41:27 PMNice. I'm going to sneak in and give Valpo a 7 seed. I live a couple blocks from there.

I have a friend that lives north of Monument Circle on the corner of N.Meridian and Vermont. About 3 blocks from the circle. It's been an awful long time since I was downtown to see him in his apartment. He usually comes out to see me at my house. 

StlVUFan

Quote from: covufan on March 12, 2015, 11:55:48 AM
Quote from: StlVUFan on March 11, 2015, 11:34:09 PM
I want us in Columbus, and I'm not particular about the matchup.

I will be in Dayton for the First Four and am thinking I could easily drive there.

It sounds like I won't get my wish, but dammit, that's what I want. :'(
Pittsburgh and Louisville would be an easy drive from Dayton as well!
Louisville would be tons better than Pittsburgh.  You see, it's not just the drive there, it's the drive back home to St. Louis.

talksalot

ok.. I think there has to be a better way to describe these 4 groups ... my suggested names in brackets.

Last Four Byes [translate:  MADE IT, PHEW]
LSU  #10
Ole Miss  #11
Oklahoma State #10
Purdue #11

Last Four In:  [MADE IT... UNLESS]
BYU  #11 PIG
Texas  #11 PIG
Temple #11 PIG
Indiana #11 PIG

so...am I correct (assuming Mr. Lunardo is perfectly accurate) everyone below the line needs someone above this line to lose before they can move up?... (or they become a pretty good looking NIT bracket !)

First Four Out:  [MISSED IT BY THIS MUCH]
Miami (FL) - not on bracket
Old Dominion - not on bracket
Tulsa - not on bracket
Texas A&M - not on bracket

Next Four Out:  [OTHER NIT HOST SCHOOLS]
UCLA - not on bracket
Illinois - not on bracket
Murray State - not on bracket
Iona - not on bracket

Green Bay - not in conversation

covufan

Quote from: talksalot on March 13, 2015, 08:31:25 AM
ok.. I think there has to be a better way to describe these 4 groups ... my suggested names in brackets.

LSU  #10
Ole Miss  #11
Oklahoma State #10
Purdue #11

BYU  #11 PIG
Texas  #11 PIG
Temple #11 PIG
Indiana #11 PIG

so...am I correct (assuming Mr. Lunardo is perfectly accurate) everyone below the line needs someone above this line to lose before they can move up?... (or they become a pretty good looking NIT bracket !)

Tulsa - not on bracket

UCLA - not on bracket
Iona - not on bracket

I think that there will be one play-in 11 seeded game and one for the 12 seeds.

I would hope that with Green Bay's RPI that they would be in the mix for NIT.

a3uge

Quote from: covufan on March 13, 2015, 08:46:38 AM

Quote from: talksalot on March 13, 2015, 08:31:25 AM

LSU  #10
Ole Miss  #11
Oklahoma State #10
Purdue #11

BYU  #11 PIG
Texas  #11 PIG
Temple #11 PIG
Indiana #11 PIG

Tulsa - not on bracket

UCLA - not on bracket
Iona - not on bracket

I think that there will be one play-in 11 seeded game and one for the 12 seeds.

I would hope that with Green Bay's RPI that they would be in the mix for NIT.

I think you're right - put it this way: is SFA, Valpo, LA Tech, Wofford, Harvard, etc borderline at-large worthy? No. So I don't see any of those jumping to an 11, or staying at a 12 and the PIG dropping to a 13. But the NCAA can move teams up or down a seed to make everything "fit". In 2013 we saw that with Boise State and LaSalle getting the 13 seed game.

vu84v2

I like that someone on this site went on the NBCSports site and corrected Darien Walker's name.

When looking to fill out your bracket, I would suggest looking at statistical analyses that will start being posted regularly on the fivethirtyeight.com website. They posted their first analysis today regarding whether higher than expected conference tournament performance correlates (or is predictive) of NCAA tournament performance. They show a very slight correlation, but not nearly as high as many would subjectively predict. UConn in recent years is cited as the outlier. This website offers great analysis on many subjects (political, economics, sociocultural, sports) using common and advanced statistics methods.

frontrowfan

Ordered our tickets to the dance today from the ticket office.  Don't care where we plan or when...we'll be there

Kyle321n

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 13, 2015, 10:41:00 AM
I like that someone on this site went on the NBCSports site and corrected Darien Walker's name.

Hi!  I also sent this out:
[tweet]576392887593644032[/tweet]
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Quote from: BrownTown on March 13, 2015, 10:33:31 AM
America, get familiar with Delanie Walker...

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/introducing-cinderella-meet-the-valparaiso-crusaders/

Quote from: vu84v2 on March 13, 2015, 10:41:00 AMI like that someone on this site went on the NBCSports site and corrected Darien Walker's name.

At least they had a video of "The Shot"!  That exposure can't hurt.

bbtds

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/10/introducing-cinderella-meet-the-valparaiso-crusaders/
What's most surprising is that Damien, Darken, Delanie, Darien, Jasmyn and Tevonn are not related in any way.

Now Derrik Walker's background is a bit unknown.

classof2014

Never realized how confusing the name Darien is to people!

covufan

Quote from: bbtds on March 13, 2015, 12:20:52 PM

What's most surprising is that Damien, Darken, Delanie, Darien, Jasmyn and Tevonn are not related in any way.

Now Derrik Walker's background is a bit unknown.

If we're having problems with incoming Walkers this year, what is Kampe going to do with his two incoming Walkers next year?!?!?

Valpower

Here's our guard, Delanie, when he's wearing his Tennessee Titans uniform:

valpopal

Reminder: Register online by midnight tonight to attend the Selection Show Party on Sunday!

[tweet]576516081210298369[/tweet]

talksalot

for those into later-in-the-evening Sunday night announcements...

from bracketmatrix.com/nit

1 - UCLA, Texas A&M, Miami (FL), Tulsa
2 - Connecticut, Illinois, Richmond, Stanford
3 - Buffalo, Rhode Island, Old Dominion, Murray State
4 - Illinois State, George Washington, Minnesota, Alabama
5 - St. Mary's (CA), Pittsburgh, Wisconsin-Green Bay, Iona
6 - UTEP, Harvard, Memphis, Vanderbilt
7 - Michigan, Arizona State, Tennessee, South Dakota State
8 - William & Mary, St. Francis (NY), Bucknell, Charleston Southern