• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Daniel Relvao 6'9 Mountain Mission School, 2014-15 Sr highlights

Started by JDemp13, March 20, 2015, 12:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a3uge

Looks like a big strong dude. I know Mousa didn't quite work out and Capo was only a 6th man, but Valpo has really turned into a big physical team under Bryce. Last night against Maryland we didn't look like an undersized mid major team like you typically see. We'd still probably look small vs that 2013 Michigan State team, but it's good we're getting more big physical bodies. I think this bodes well for the Horizon where games more resemble rugby and also obviously the tournament where the power conference teams have guys that look like linebackers.

The guards are also much stronger and harder to penetrate against. Tevonns ability to sky for rebounds and drive to the rim is something you don't typically see from mid majors. Nickerson, for a PG has size you really don't see at an level. Its not too often you see a mid major control the glass vs a Big 10 team - we had 11 offensive rebounds to their 4. The bench isn't a complete liability either and has some nice athletes like Skara, Jubril and soon Hammink.

FWalum

Really liked the Bender kid. Well rounded skill set for a big.  He seems to be flying under the radar on the major recruiting sites.  Ranked #12 in the state of Virginia by Vantage Hoops. 
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

Kyle321n

Well another one in the long line of below average FT shooters! But overall, without knowing the quality of the competition, seems good.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

vu72

Quote from: wh on July 22, 2015, 01:23:57 PM
DANIEL RELVAO stats - U20 European Championships

http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/enDivB/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11605.teamID_348.playerID_107498.html

I think he might have the potential to be another Vashil--from a year to year improvement standpoint.  He has only been playing basketball for a few years and seems to be pretty athletic for a big.  Could be another steal ala Tevonn and Skara.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

wh

Quote from: vu72 on July 22, 2015, 03:10:21 PM
Quote from: wh on July 22, 2015, 01:23:57 PM
DANIEL RELVAO stats - U20 European Championships

http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/enDivB/compID_UIfgjyQcGqk-fPlnl66Tj0.season_2015.roundID_11605.teamID_348.playerID_107498.html

I think he might have the potential to be another Vashil--from a year to year improvement standpoint.  He has only been playing basketball for a few years and seems to be pretty athletic for a big.  Could be another steal ala Tevonn and Skara.

To your point, a recent Mountain Mission Facebook comment noted that Daniel has only been playing for 2 1/2 years.  My 6th grade grandson has been playing organized basketball longer than that, including school teams and practically year around on a club team at The Courts against teams from all over NWI.  He will also be attending his 2nd week-long VU basketball camp beginning next Monday. To think that Daniel had 3 double-doubles in 7 games at the European U20 championships with such limited exposure to the game is hopefully a great indicator of his upside potential.   

valporun

Relvao sounds like a smaller version of Vashil, but with time in the weight room, and an Alec-like growth spurt, we could have potential for a Vashil 2.0 in 2-3 years. I'll take that.

vu72

Quote from: valporun on July 23, 2015, 11:42:20 AM
Relvao sounds like a smaller version of Vashil, but with time in the weight room, and an Alec-like growth spurt, we could have potential for a Vashil 2.0 in 2-3 years. I'll take that.

He is a little shorter but much bigger through the body.  The film I've seen also looks like he will have a much bigger upside offensively while his significant wingspan has allowed him to be a pretty solid shot blocker.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

In line with the Vashil speculation, I don't see him being the one  "stashed" some place for a year.  He'll be here on the 29th.

ValpoFan

I am not sure if the Vashil comparison is an accurate one. Daniel seems to have a significantly wider frame and a better ability to grab the ball and make a post move with it (compared to Vashil's early years). On the flip side, he doesn't seem to have the athleticism and the high jumping ability of Vashil.
Just my  :twocents:

wh

I have spotted everyone at this week's bb camp except Daniel. Give that official practices have begun for the Canadian trip, why isn't he there?  The European U20 championships have been over for a while now.

78crusader

I don't know much about basketball, but it seems to me that if -- if -- VU has decided to stash Relvao away in some JC for a year, the increased risk of his never attending VU is not worth another year of Vashil, who after all this time still has trouble catching the ball and who seems to my untrained eye to be something of an offensive liability.  The potential of losing 1 of 2 2015-16 recruits does not seem to be a risk worth taking, especially when we have signed -- am I right on this? -- zero kids for 2016-17. Where am I wrong?

Paul

oklahomamick

I wish Bryce and the basketball program were not so tight lipped.  Maybe a press conference here and there and let the fans know whats going on. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpopal

Quote from: oklahomamick on July 30, 2015, 07:48:56 AM
I wish Bryce and the basketball program were not so tight lipped.  Maybe a press conference here and there and let the fans know whats going on.

I have been led to believe we will receive an official word perhaps as early as today; if not, then tomorrow.

chef

Quote from: 78crusader on July 30, 2015, 07:47:54 AM
I don't know much about basketball, but it seems to me that if -- if -- VU has decided to stash Relvao away in some JC for a year, the increased risk of his never attending VU is not worth another year of Vashil, who after all this time still has trouble catching the ball and who seems to my untrained eye to be something of an offensive liability.  The potential of losing 1 of 2 2015-16 recruits does not seem to be a risk worth taking, especially when we have signed -- am I right on this? -- zero kids for 2016-17. Where am I wrong?

Paul
You have the most talented offensive team in school history and the ability to bring back one of the nations top defensive players....that's where you're wrong.

bbtds

It seems rather simple to me. Vashil changes the defense greatly and is a proven commodity. Relvao is unproven and will not have a greater impact on the offense or defense that Vashil will have on the defense. Risk with Relvao. No risk with Vashil. This is in no way trying to imply that Relvao will not live up to his expectations. I truly hope Daniel is all and everything that we hope for him to be for the Crusaders.

agibson

Quote from: bbtds on July 31, 2015, 04:52:18 AM
It seems rather simple to me. Vashil changes the defense greatly and is a proven commodity. Relvao is unproven and will not have a greater impact on the offense or defense that Vashil will have on the defense. Risk with Relvao. No risk with Vashil. This is in no way trying to imply that Relvao will not live up to his expectations. I truly hope Daniel is all and everything that we hope for him to be for the Crusaders.

Nothing you've said is wrong, exactly.  But, it does seem like primarily a one-year analysis.  Comparing one-year of Vashil with four of Relvao seems a lot harder.

Valpower

Quote from: agibson on July 31, 2015, 11:26:04 AM
Nothing you've said is wrong, exactly.  But, it does seem like primarily a one-year analysis.  Comparing one-year of Vashil with four of Relvao seems a lot harder.
If you believe the one-year player can get you deep into the NCAA tournament, the impact will far exceed a year (http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/). Vashil could be that player for this team.   I don't believe the coaching staff would have made the same decision had the team had any other glaring weaknesses in what was to be a rebuilding year.

wh

Quote from: Valpower on August 02, 2015, 03:44:03 AM
If you believe the one-year player can get you deep into the NCAA tournament, the impact will far exceed a year (http://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/).

The most informative, easy-to-follow article about tournament revenue sharing that I have ever seen.

covufan

It looks like Relvao has landed, at George Mason:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/daniel-relvao

https://twitter.com/mmshoops1921/status/633696106371751936

I wish him the best at George Mason. 

Also, the Valpo verbal commits site has been updated with Vashil.  No new future recruits.

http://verbalcommits.com/schools/valparaiso

VULB#62

Wonder if we'll ever be invited to MMA again?

Daniel is now looking at an A-10 career instead of 4 years in the HL. 

9500 capacity in their arena
34K students
State school

Wish him well.  Sad that he couldn't be a Crusader.

[New Addition]Interesting factoid. 
Valpo (4,500 students) endowment (2014) $220 million
GMU (33,917 students) endowment (2014) $ 70.2 million

a3uge

George Mason isn't the George Mason of the past. It's probably a better fit for him... He'll get more playing time at George Mason than he would at Valpo.