• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Apology

Started by 78crusader, March 21, 2015, 04:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78crusader

I made a comment yesterday I shouldn't have made.  During the game, with the score 11-2, I made a three word post: "Same old story" (referring to the MSU tourney game a couple years ago, where we also fell quickly behind).   I let my frustration get the best of me.  I regretted the post as soon as I made it.  I was called out on it, and rightfully so.  It was not respectful of our team.  It was wrong of me to post it.

I was also taken to task for my pregame prediction of 65-44 Maryland.  Just 'cause I think VU was going to lose does not equal disloyalty to VU, or disrespect to the coaches or players, at least in my mind.  A couple weeks ago I said that I was SURE we would beat CSU in the regular season finale.  I just felt we would not be competitive with a very good Maryland team and figured I had the right to voice my opinion without getting hammered.  That's it.

OK, I've said what I wanted to say.  If this apology is not sufficiently conciliatory, or if I'm wrong again -- which is absolutely possible -- or if maybe I should just drop off the board, I'm pretty sure I will hear about it from you guys.  Thanks.

Paul

truth219

I forgive you...everyone felt like it was the same old song

VU75

Natural reaction from a survivor of the Purden-Rochlitz era.

bbtds

Forgiven.

FYI, there is a very powerful button marked "REMOVE" that can fix a lot of problems. Poof! the offending post is gone.

Now that everything is fine..............let's talk about those Beacon Hall pictures............... ::)

vu72

Quote from: 78crusader on March 21, 2015, 04:40:13 PM
I made a comment yesterday I shouldn't have made.  During the game, with the score 11-2, I made a three word post: "Same old story" (referring to the MSU tourney game a couple years ago, where we also fell quickly behind).   I let my frustration get the best of me.  I regretted the post as soon as I made it.  I was called out on it, and rightfully so.  It was not respectful of our team.  It was wrong of me to post it.

I was also taken to task for my pregame prediction of 65-44 Maryland.  Just 'cause I think VU was going to lose does not equal disloyalty to VU, or disrespect to the coaches or players, at least in my mind.  A couple weeks ago I said that I was SURE we would beat CSU in the regular season finale.  I just felt we would not be competitive with a very good Maryland team and figured I had the right to voice my opinion without getting hammered.  That's it.

OK, I've said what I wanted to say.  If this apology is not sufficiently conciliatory, or if I'm wrong again -- which is absolutely possible -- or if maybe I should just drop off the board, I'm pretty sure I will hear about it from you guys.  Thanks.

Paul

As the "hammeror" I apologize for jumping on you as I did.  It was a very sensitive time for all of us.  I have always appreciated your posts and hope you will continue with the rest of us Valpo nut cases!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

LaPorteAveApostle

"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

bbtds

Quote from: LaPorteAveApostle on March 21, 2015, 06:59:55 PM
Quote from: vu72 on March 21, 2015, 06:41:59 PMAs the "hammeror"
I prefer "evicter"

E. Jarred Nickerson--he knows how to sandwich in a three pointer.

wh

Quote from: 78crusader on March 21, 2015, 04:40:13 PM

Paul

You can't be serious. You expressed an opinion and someone took issue with it. I think that kind of thing happens fairly regularly around here.  :)  Your efforts and contributions toward beautifying the campus landscape and the front and perimeter of the ARC speak for themselves about your loyalty to Valpo University and Valpo athletics. You're entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy.  Like '72 said we've all been on an emotional roller coaster the past few days (weeks?). We're bound to butt heads occasionally.  ;)  No big deal.

usc4valpo

Don't sweat it. Sometimes I have bad vibes remembering the wackiness of how Valpo was going to turn the corner when Rob Harden provided his graciousness in the 83-84 season.

FWalum

Have to admit that I kind of felt the same way. With that start I was wondering if our guys really felt they belonged on the same court with a top level B1G team.  I am so glad they proved me wrong.  So... I won't be casting any stones.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VULB#62

This team is so resilient.  And mature beyond its collective age.  I think they learned (and we learned as well, cuz I was thinking the same early thoughts, paul) that next year no opponent is to be feared and being behind at any point in a game is just a matter of time.  It's all about confidence.  Although I did not see the Mizzou game, I'll bet we played poorly because of stage fright early in the season.  Same for UNM.  But our kids grew from that -- fast.  Next year is a whole new ball game -- can't wait to see them up against good OOC opponents (if they'll schedule us   :(

atkins

I felt the same way. 

That was not one of Maryland's better games this season -- we caught that team on an off night -- but we played without fear against a team that, when playing well, could beat anyone but Kentucky. 

If we lose to a Mizzou or Nebraska during the regular season next time, I will be very disappointed.  But I think we have exorcised the Big Team" curse. 

Valpower

Quote from: atkins on March 22, 2015, 07:13:03 PM
I felt the same way. 

That was not one of Maryland's better games this season -- we caught that team on an off night -- but we played without fear against a team that, when playing well, could beat anyone but Kentucky. 

If we lose to a Mizzou or Nebraska during the regular season next time, I will be very disappointed.  But I think we have exorcised the Big Team" curse. 

What basis do you have for discrediting Valpo's effort and saying Maryland had an off game?  I don't get this at all.  Is it that you take the AP poll literally?  My perception is that Maryland had a normal game and the Valpo's strength was misjudged by many because of the statistical weakness of the Horizon League (which itself may have been slightly misjudged).

covufan

Quote from: Valpower on March 23, 2015, 12:40:15 PM
I felt the same way. 

What basis do you have for discrediting Valpo's effort and saying Maryland had an off game?  I don't get this at all.  Is it that you take the AP poll literally?  My perception is that Maryland had a normal game and the Valpo's strength was misjudged by many because of the statistical weakness of the Horizon League (which itself may have been slightly misjudged).
I don't think either team had an off game.  According to ESPN's BPI, both teams had an above average game - Valpo's game BPI was 72.3, vice 67.5 for the season; Maryland's game BPI was 83.4, vice 77.1 for the season. 

justducky

I felt the same way. 

Nobody has discredited Valpo's efforts but we shot only 8 of 27 from 2 and displayed no inside game at all. Had we missed a couple more 3 point shots (12 of 27) and maybe added 2 more TOs (a few near misses) then suddenly our 3 point loss might have expanded to 9 or 12 or even 15. I think my pre game assessment that we could win by 3 or lose by 15 was pretty accurate.

Having watched almost all of the 3, 4, and 5 seed teams play I can think of none in that group that I clearly would have preferred to play. We matched up about as well with them as anybody and we still lost. On the other hand we gained some confidence and should return more 14-15 minutes, experience and scoring than almost the entirety of college basketball. I have been waiting for next year since before this year began so being 8 months ahead of schedule doesn't bother me at all but we still have a little ways to go.

Valpower

Quote from: justducky on March 23, 2015, 02:15:40 PM
Nobody has discredited Valpo's efforts but we shot only 8 of 27 from 2 and displayed no inside game at all. Had we missed a couple more 3 point shots (12 of 27) and maybe added 2 more TOs (a few near misses) then suddenly our 3 point loss might have expanded to 9 or 12 or even 15. I think my pre game assessment that we could win by 3 or lose by 15 was pretty accurate.

Having watched almost all of the 3, 4, and 5 seed teams play I can think of none in that group that I clearly would have preferred to play. We matched up about as well with them as anybody and we still lost. On the other hand we gained some confidence and should return more 14-15 minutes, experience and scoring than almost the entirety of college basketball. I have been waiting for next year since before this year began so being 8 months ahead of schedule doesn't bother me at all but we still have a little ways to go.

So, it sounds like we had an off game as well.  Or do they get the credit for "shutting us down" inside?  Sorry, but to say that your opponent had an uncharacteristically bad game is to basically say that you had no hand in it.

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on March 23, 2015, 02:15:40 PM
I felt the same way. 

Had Maryland missed a few more 3 point shots (uh, just 1) and we made a couple more free throws (again, 1), we win. See, I can cherry pick stats too!

truth219

If jubril works on his defense and gets in better shape, he will be much better. He gets winded fast which leads to him getting burned on defense.  His offense is really pretty good. He can finish a lot better at the rim than Vashil.  Just my opinion.

truth219

Can you imagine valpo running e Victor, skara, peters, hammink, and jubril. ..everyone would be 6'8 or better

Kyle321n

Quote from: truth219 on March 23, 2015, 02:59:55 PM
Can you imagine valpo running e Victor, skara, peters, hammink, and jubril. ..everyone would be 6'8 or better

Who's handling the ball? It's not EVic, he'll have a TO every other possession without a true guard helping him out.
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

truth219

I think e Victor has a high ceiling as a pg...He will be 100% next season

vu72

Quote from: truth219 on March 23, 2015, 02:59:55 PM

You raise an interesting scenario.  I can imagine the defensive pressure with the long arms of E, David, Alec and Shane all out there together.  OK, throw in Keith!  Lots of problems for our opponents.  Oh, and if Valpo had just shot their season FT average, we would have tied the game!   ;D
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

truth219

I can see our height,  talent, star power, and depth wrecking havoc in the horizon next season

truth219

Since we're in the apology topic, I'm going to use it to say things I might be sorry for. Doug gottlieb is a awful annoucer, I think he's full of  :censored:, he's a criminal theif, and really needs a good ass beating. I just can't stand him

usc4valpo

I thought the announcers were subpar and pretty boring. No apologies there.