• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Coaching Rumors

Started by HC, March 24, 2015, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agibson

Quote from: elephtheria47 on March 27, 2015, 07:09:15 AMCan there be successful transitions? Absolutely. But the chance to fall into normalcy is a lot greater than the chance to keep the momentum moving forward. There is likely a time that a team will come calling for Bryce that he can't say no to, but that team is hopefully not Depaul or one of similar caliber.

Butler seems to have handled this fairly well.  At some point they seem to have decided that they were a conveyor belt, or an escalator, or some such, and that it was very important for them to always have a transition plan in place.  It seems to have worked out pretty well for them, through several transitions.

I don't know if the Homer -> Scott -> Homer -> Bryce transition was thought out that carefully, or not.  But, it's also worked.

I don't know if we have a similar plan in place for the future, or not.  Maybe that's because Bryce and the AD, etc. have a good understanding and think it's rather _unlikely_ he'll be going anywhere.  Or, maybe the lack of a clear transition plan is for less good reasons.  Or, maybe there is a plan!

I believe Bryce when he says that he thinks the team's coming back (that, before individual meetings, the coaches didn't detect any signs of discontent, etc.; that after individual meetings it still seemed like everyone was coming back), and thinks that he's coming back.  Obviously either or both of those could change.  We've seen it every year recently for players (if maybe without the same confidence from the coaching staff about everybody returning?).  I don't have the direct quote, but what I heard made it sound like he liked the situation at Valpo, planed to be here for the forseeable future, and that it would take something "special" to change that.

I don't know what would count as the "special" opportunity for Bryce that would make him rethink his future.  One of the real blue chip programs?  IU, Duke, UNC, etc? NBA?  Would he even be a candidate, or does he need to get some tourney wins first?  A place with (significantly?) more resources (more potent recruiting reach, final four possibilities, big facilities and salaries) that still somehow punched all the right buttons in terms of family fit, comfort with his Jesus-influenced brand of basketball, etc?

It makes me nervous that I don't know what "special" means, or what's "special" enough.  But, that's probably the way of the world.  Unless you have a close relationship with the man, personally and/or professionally, you probably _can't_ get inside his head to that extent.   And, many top-performers will eventually move on to "greener" pastures, whatever that means to them.  While others, for various reasons, will choose to stay.

I will, admittedly, feel a little more comfortable once his son's in school.  As my wife wondered, should we root against the possibility of home schooling? ;)

valporun

In Peoria, you don't have to pack a picnic basket to get through traffic like you would LA.

agibson

Quote from: a3uge on March 27, 2015, 11:56:08 AMOh for crying out loud it's Peoria, not LA.

Yeah, I wouldn't have guessed necessarily that Peoria >> GB.   Or even that Peoria > GB.

And, perhaps GB even gets points for better proximity to bigger cities?

elephtheria47

Haven't been to Peoria but I liked my time in the Green Bay and that area

valpo95

I think we need to dial back some of the hand wringing here.

Which would you rather have: a) A young, well-regarded winning coach who has pretty much exceeded expectations in his first four years as head coach. This coach is in the rumor mix every year for other programs who may be higher profile, offer more money, or are in the Power 5 conferences.  OR b) An average coach entrenched in the program, who wins some and loses some, who has some success if he gets lucky with a recruit or two but who has teams that always finish in the middle of the pack.  This coach is in the rumor mix every few years when his team finishes above average, and the only rumored locations are those at a similar profile, may offer more money, or have similar level to VU.

If we want success (and I'm guessing we all do!), then we want coach a) - We should expect and hope that every year Bryce is mentioned for many possible positions, because that puts him in place to recruit better talent and win more games.  If (or when) he moves on, we hope it is because he is so successful - a VU version of Gregg Marshall or Shaka Smart - that he is in the mix for some of the best openings of the year.  Note as well that at least to date, Marshall and Smart are still at their respective premier non-power conferences.   

covufan

Quote from: oklahomamick on March 26, 2015, 10:34:07 PM
Hurley signed a longer and larger contract with Buffalo instead of DePaul after the boosters came together and donated. 
Is that plural?  Buffalo has boosters?

valpopal

Quote from: covufan on March 27, 2015, 11:38:16 AM
Quote from: a3uge on March 27, 2015, 09:27:45 AM
Quote from: valpopal on March 27, 2015, 09:22:10 AM
Bryce is also rumored to be on the short list for the University of Tennessee job.

Do you have a link for that?
As well as Ron Hunter:

Potential Tennessee coach candidates: Gregg Marshall (Wichita St. coach), Steve Prohm (Murray St. coach), Michael White (LA Tech coach), Brad Underwood (Stephen F. Austin coach), Ron Hunter (Georgia St. coach), Bryce Drew (Valparaiso coach), Rick Byrd (Belmont coach), Tad Boyle (Colorado coach)

https://collegesportsinfo.com/2015/03/05/2015-college-basketball-coaching-changes/

Steve Prohm has agreed to a new contract today with Murray St. Also, I think Rick Byrd is older than Tennessee would want for a new coach.

wh

Quote from: agibson on March 27, 2015, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2015, 01:29:47 AMEach job opportunity had plenty of 'sources' saying that Bryce would accept those jobs if offered, and spoke about him interviewing.

Have we had any kind of a source even say that Bryce has gone as far as interviewing?  I don't recall seeing one this year, for any of these positions.

Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew will also interview at DePaul in the coming days, sources confirmed to SNY.tv.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-hurley-bryce-drew-to-interview-for-depaul-job/

agibson

Quote from: wh on March 27, 2015, 12:55:38 PM
Quote from: agibson on March 27, 2015, 11:41:44 AM
Quote from: valpotx on March 27, 2015, 01:29:47 AMEach job opportunity had plenty of 'sources' saying that Bryce would accept those jobs if offered, and spoke about him interviewing.

Have we had any kind of a source even say that Bryce has gone as far as interviewing?  I don't recall seeing one this year, for any of these positions.

Valparaiso coach Bryce Drew will also interview at DePaul in the coming days, sources confirmed to SNY.tv.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-hurley-bryce-drew-to-interview-for-depaul-job/

One can only wonder if they're as sloppy with their sourcing as they are with their fact checking.

HC

Tennessee seems like a secure gig.  I mean they've only had 4 coaches in the last 6 years.

crusadermoe

I say two years out, Bryce will move on if that's what he wants.     He gets to coach Peters and great kids for two more years and bag some of the signature wins that have eluded us.   We loved the upside of the team this year.   But can we really say they dominated the Horizon.   Lots of close games where our talent was better.   

In two years, Alabama or Tennessee jobs make all the sense in the world to me.  These are football schools with less pressure on the hoops teams to win fast.  Homer would probably tell him to go and he and Janet would move south with him.   Just a personal hunch.  Remember they grew up with LSU and she's a southern girl. 

wh

[tweet]581621613667332096[/tweet]

StlVUFan

I may be captain obvious on this, but it occurred to me earlier that even the news that Bryce is interviewing at DePaul doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I think in some industries, it's just good practice to accept such invitations, just so you know what opportunities are out there.  It doesn't mean you are looking to leave, it just means you're choosing not to live in a bubble so to speak.

Make sense?

agibson

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 27, 2015, 10:12:04 PM
I may be captain obvious on this, but it occurred to me earlier that even the news that Bryce is interviewing at DePaul doesn't necessarily mean anything.  I think in some industries, it's just good practice to accept such invitations, just so you know what opportunities are out there.  It doesn't mean you are looking to leave, it just means you're choosing not to live in a bubble so to speak.

Make sense?

Definitely a possibility.  There are even industries (and I don't expect that this is the case here, necessarily) where you'll do a company a favor and interview with them, even though you have no particular interest.  They want to compare you to other candidates, and you're doing them a solid.

wh

SanityLost17

500K a year vs. 2 million a year...  Just because you don't need the money doesn't mean you don't want the money.  If they offer him a similar contract to Purnell, I think it will be really hard to turn down.  4 years and 8 million dollars later, he will have a very successful program at Depaul.  He could hold out for the Butler job.  Sounds like lots of folks are going after Holtmann. 

I think he goes (somewhere)...maybe not this year, but soon.  I also think he also doesn't take any players with him, and pushes hard for his very best assistant coach to be hired as his replacement.  That way he leaves the Valpo program in good shape and goes to make a name for himself outside of Valpo, just like Scott Drew did.   

Don't get me wrong, I hope he stays, and I will be heartbroken if he leaves, but we need to be realistic.  At best we have 2 more years with him.     

oklahomamick

Wardle hired at Bradley. 
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

This is all the same news that we have seen over the last few seasons.  Drew has always been a top candidate, and the 'favorite' to be offered and accept.  I don't know who these sources are, but I have to believe that they are from the DePaul administration.  Of course they are going to think that he would accept their offer, as they view Valpo as an inferior job.  If it happens, it happens, and he will regret it when DePaul is at the bottom of the Big East for his tenure.  Seriously, I hope you were joking about holding out for the Butler job...you couldn't lose your Valpo popularity any faster than doing such a thing!

Money isn't everything.  I turned down Google last year, which not only offered the opportunity to work for a top tech company, but a large raise.  Like Bryce, I always talk to other companies when they are interested, but if you are truly happy, money won't matter.  How much money do you truly need, if you are already making around $500k, as it sounds like Bryce is?
"Don't mess with Texas"

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: SanityLost17 on March 27, 2015, 10:48:06 PM500K a year vs. 2 million a year...  Just because you don't need the money doesn't mean you don't want the money.  If they offer him a similar contract to Purnell, I think it will be really hard to turn down. 
Totally agree, but I don't think they'll offer him the same money they offered a proven, 27-year-vet, Power 5 conference coach either.
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

StlVUFan

Quote from: agibson on March 27, 2015, 10:44:27 PMDefinitely a possibility.  There are even industries (and I don't expect that this is the case here, necessarily) where you'll do a company a favor and interview with them, even though you have no particular interest.  They want to compare you to other candidates, and you're doing them a solid.
It also gives Bryce a chance to compare DePaul to Valpo (or DePaul as a another "outside world data point" to add to Tulsa and Mississippi State and anywhere else he might have interviewed) and sanity check his desire to stay.

agibson

Nice insights and considerations from Paul Oren
http://www.nwitimes.com/blogs/sports/valparaiso-university/bryce-drew-staying-or-going/article_57886856-d55a-11e4-a67c-3fe4877ea2eb.html

I'm not sure I follow his conclusion.  From his comparison of past-year's behavior to this years, I'd have guessed that Bryce _was_ seriously considering other offers in past years. And _wasn't_ this year.  But, Paul seems to disagree... Or at least to wonder.

elephtheria47

Hurley is in Chicago today...

vu84v2

Paul's article is very good. Thank you for posting it.

While we can always say that "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush", might Bryce consider that other opportunities may open? One scenario is Texas dismisses Barnes and then Marshall takes the job at Texas. Bryce would be a top candidate for a job at Wichita State which would be a much better job than DePaul. Bryce talked in the Oren article about "special" and while it is impossible to quantify that (or know what is in Bryce's head), it would seem that the sentiment is a place that has great resources, allows him the freedom to run the program, has a track record of success, etc. I do not know if Wichita State is such a job, but it seems much closer to a reasonable definition of "special" than DePaul does.

I certainly hope that Bryce doesn't leave and continues to make Valpo "more special", but regardless I wish him the best.

vu72

I would think that a spot, that would be considered special, would include a religious affiliation.  Many of his players were drawn to Bryce because of his faith and Bryce also knows that he won't get any blow back from school officials or alumni for his vocal and regular reference to his beliefs. Presumably DePaul would fit that requirement.  Wichita State would not.  My guess would be that a "special" location might include a place like Wake Forest or perhaps Notre Dame. Valpotx has referenced TCU which might also fit and is only a 2 hour drive to Baylor.  The problem there is that both schools are in the same conference which would be unacceptible to both coaches.

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

FWalum

Quote from: vu72 on March 28, 2015, 02:39:25 PMMy guess would be that a "special" location might include a place like Wake Forest or perhaps Notre Dame
I have said for a long time that Wake Forest made a lot of sense for Bryce.  Having talked to Homer about my daughter's work with the WFU basketball program when she was at Wake and his relationship with Skip Prosser, I was happy when that job came open a little earlier than I thought and that Danny Manning took that job.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show