• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Recruiting: 2018

Started by covufan, August 07, 2015, 11:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

covufan

We have our first offer with a 2018 recruit!  From South Bend Adams HS and the NBA's LaPhonso Ellis, Walter Ellis:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/walter-ellis

talksalot

That would be a first for me... I believe...   

I did introduce LaPhonso in the "Miracle" game; and I don't think I have ever introduced a father and son combination....AS PLAYERS...I'm trying to come up with past father-son combinations who have played in games at Valpo...?  drawing a blank.  (I've only been announcing since 1986...)

chef

There is a father-son that Valpo has played against during the Drew era. The winner gets my two tickets for a game in the upcoming season.

valpospartan

Quote from: chef on August 10, 2015, 09:29:04 PM
There is a father-son that Valpo has played against during the Drew era. The winner gets my two tickets for a game in the upcoming season.
The McCallums?

a3uge

Quote from: chef on August 10, 2015, 09:29:04 PM
There's actually at least two pairs from the Bryce Drew player era:

chef

OK, let me clarify, both the father and son PLAYED against Valpo during the Drew era. Ray McCallum SR did not play against Valpo during the Drew era. Still looking for the correct answer.

chef

Bryce played against the father and was head coach when Valpo played against the son.

IndyValpo

chef

great guess, but not correct. Marty played collegiately before the Drew era.

covufan

Quote from: chef on August 10, 2015, 11:01:52 PM
Bryce played against the father and was head coach when Valpo played against the son.
This won't meet the "played against Valpo" criteria, but Larry Johnson (Bryce in the NBA) and Larry Johnson, JR. (at YSU).

covufan

My first guess would have been Tony Freeman and Tony Freeman, jr., but I don't think we played Iowa or S. Ill during Jr's timeframe.  And it doesn't meet the played against Bryce, Bryce was HC against son criteria.

This is not easy.

a3uge

Thought I had one on a technicality - Bryce coached against the son, Kory Alford, although still on a redshirt, when Steve Alford was at New Mexico. Scott coached against Steve Alford when at Iowa, but Valpo never played Missouri State (Steve Alford's team at the time) when Bryce was playing.

vu72

Quote from: covufan on August 11, 2015, 11:51:32 AM
Quote from: chef on August 10, 2015, 11:01:52 PM
This won't meet the "played against Valpo" criteria, but Larry Johnson (Bryce in the NBA) and Larry Johnson, JR. (at YSU).

chef said "Bryce played against the father", not "played against Valpo".  I think you nailed it!
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

chef

Remember Bryce played against the father, in a collegiate game. The father played high school and college in the state of Indiana. Both father and son had very accomplished collegiate careers.

IndyValpo

Deshaun Thomas and father

Kyle321n

It's Travis Trice Sr. and Jr. Senior played at the university in Indy that shall not be named.  :lol:
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

chef

Nice job Kyle. Message me during the season if you need two. I'll give a weekly trivia question when we get closer to the season.

VULB#62

That would mean that the father is a contemporary of Bryce and played during Bryce's 4 years at VU (94-98).  If he was Bryce's age and had a son immediately after graduation that son would be 17 this year -- too young.  So, he probably was an upperclassman when Bryce was a freshman or soph. Who did we play in those first two years that might have that father as a player whose son now has played against us?  This is intriguing.

[EDIT] Oh shoot, Kyle got it on the board while I was typing.

But wait -- not being a real Indiana BB follower -- who did/does Junior play for? 

a3uge

Kyle321n

Quote from: VULB#62 on August 11, 2015, 03:09:46 PM
But wait -- not being a real Indiana BB follower -- who did/does Junior play for? 

Jr. played for MSU and we faced him in the tourney. He played in the Summer League for Miami most recently.

Quote from: chef on August 11, 2015, 03:08:49 PM
Nice job Kyle. Message me during the season if you need two. I'll give a weekly trivia question when we get closer to the season.

Thanks, go ahead and donate them to the next trivia question or to a group or something. I'm renewing my season tickets and won't need them :)
Inane Tweeter, Valpo Season Ticket holder, Beer Enjoyer

covufan

Quote from: Kyle321n on August 11, 2015, 02:52:51 PM
It's Travis Trice Sr. and Jr. Senior played at the university in Indy that shall not be named.  :lol:
Quote from: chef on August 11, 2015, 03:08:49 PM

Here is Butler info for 1994-95, when Bryce played there as a freshman:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/butler/1995.html

Here is junior's info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travis_Trice

Junior was born while Dad was in college. 

VULB#62

TT Sr.  was some assist and steal machine.

vufan75

Quote from: vufan75 on January 16, 2016, 10:31:25 PM
Tweeted today by Trevor.  Andershock of INBasketball recruiting service. Hope young man enjoyed game and ARC atmosphere while at game.

South Bend Adams wing Walter Ellis [2018] is at Valparaiso for their game against Green Bay. @ny2lasports

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

vufan75

Sorry for 1st post
Figuring out new phone still. But Walter Ellis post is one I wanted to share.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

historyman

Quote from: vufan75 on January 16, 2016, 10:49:23 PMSorry for 1st post Figuring out new phone still. But Walter Ellis post is one I wanted to share. 

You can go to the "modify" button in the top right. Then scroll down and take out the part that you didn't want in your post. Any post can be edited. That way you don't need to apologize. Just fix the mistake.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann