• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valparaiso has ACCEPTED* the Invite to become the 10th Member of the MVC!!!!

Started by VU2014, May 09, 2017, 10:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

NativeCheesehead

VU2014

UNIFTW

I'll share this, since the other thread it seemed like people that the sense that MVCFans wasn't happy with Valpo.

There is a thread asking us to vote on how the process played out. My post on the topic was

QuoteI voted F.

While not fair to Valpo, the grade is not a reflection on Valpo. It's a reflection on the conference leadership, on the process, and the failure to see past the tip of their upturned noses.

I welcome you guys in and hope you continue to get better - especially in non-MBB sports (woof). People being pissed right now isn't a reflection of you. It's a reflection of how we view out league handling things.

vu84v2

While I would have liked to see Murray State also go to the MVC now, this is great for Valparaiso athletics. While this is certainly a huge win for the basketball program, it is great for all of the men's and women's athletic teams.

My guess, for what its worth, is that this decision may be closely tied to Murray State's football program. They would have to negotiate an 'out' for all programs including football, but had a separate party (MVFC) that they would have to get to accept them. You can see this scenario: MVFC declines to accept Murray State, Ohio Valley says that Murray State cannot stay for football only until the current schedule commitments have all been met (which I think, from another post, is in 2020), MVC (knowing that Murray State would decline) chooses not to make an offer. Of course, there could have been a decision to only go to 10 or 12 and that Valparaiso was the priority and there was no acceptable 12th team at this time.

For basketball, this is great for Valpo. Top to bottom the MVC is far superior.

elephtheria47

Wish Murray St was joining too, but, still a great step up. Cant wait for some actual great games in the ARC after December. (Would be okay with still scheduling Oakland and maybe Milw for selfish reasons)

VULB#62

:thewave:

Very exciting!  But here's also hoping MuSU has a great 2017-18 season with the MVC watching and gets revisited inside of 2 years.

Now Valpo has to get in gear, build on Matt's first year in MBB,  and kick up recruiting for all sports a notch to match the increased level of competition they will all face in this new conference.  The MVC notice said no more comments pending final negotiation.  Wonder what that will entail ??????

VU2014

usc4valpo

This is outstanding news. Way to go MVC and way to go Valpo!!! UNI and Drake restaurant reviews will be available!

Dave_2010

Way down on the list of considerations will be a new home for Men's Tennis. I'm pretty sure the Valley is dropping the sport.

Can't imagine the HL will let us stay on. MAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justducky

This was a vote for inertia, and by that definition I am not expecting much future voluntary movement.

The MVC decline is already underway. The speed of its decent is the only remaining question. Where is its bottom? Much deeper than most of the voters seem to realize.

What can VU do to help? Accept, then step in and immediately become the biggest  :censored: in the room voicing the future need for the 12 team, floating divisional setup. It is not too late but wait and see foot dragging just ain't gonna cut it.

valpopal

As I mentioned last week, I would have been "shocked if Valpo did not replace the Shockers." All unspoken indications at the university were that Valpo was going to the MVC. It was unthinkable Valpo would not receive an invitation. In addition, I still believe, as I said last week, university presidents are conservative when it comes to change and "the MVC will add Valpo as the 10th team for the upcoming season, but could move to 11 or 12 teams in the following year. It would be easy to schedule one team for 2017-2018 by just subbing Valpo for Wichita State. However, because of Murray State football and the difficulties of scheduling more teams—especially a divisional schedule if going to 12 teams and working out the MVC vs MWC challenge—planning and negotiations would require waiting until 2018-2019 entry for the additional schools."

crusadermoe

I can't believe people are finding ways to be disappointed or unsatisfied with the expansion to 10 for next year.   Get over it!   

We have escaped the caverns of CSU arena and the Motown tournament debacle.  The MVC brand is solid even if they have hit some down years.   Our history brings more name recognition to both!!

Yes, it will be great to see MVC expand and dominate.   But good night, be glad we are the 10th, and not the "maybe" for another year or two.

Drive 350 miles south in March and enjoy Arch Madness. It happens in the city where Valpo played its Sweet Sixteen game.  Good karma!   

crusaderjoe

A historic day for Valparaiso University and Valparaiso University Athletics.  Welcome to the MVC!

We should also take a moment and thank the Horizon League and its members.  The move to the HL ended our geographical purgatory with the Mid-Con, reestablished old conference member relationships that had been lost, allowed us to play an instate rival more often, and helped move our athletic programs upward.

Now it's time to take the next step to elevate our programs further.  I am so happy for the AD as a whole, MLB, the staff, and for everyone behind the scenes who helped make this move a reality.

And to Murray State, I sure as hell hope we see you in the MVC very soon!

a3uge

Reminder: The MVC could have had a 10 team league with Murray State and Valpo had it not screwed up the Creighton replacement. The venom should be directed at that decision, not adding only Valpo this time.

vu72

I wonder if this will require another Board Meeting or can it be done via teleconference?  Presume the later.  I'm guessing a formal acceptance announcement tomorrow.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on May 09, 2017, 11:33:08 AM
I wonder if this will require another Board Meeting or can it be done via teleconference?  Presume the later.  I'm guessing a formal acceptance announcement tomorrow.

Probably depends on what "the details" wind up being, don'tcha think?

a3uge

Quote from: justducky on May 09, 2017, 10:58:19 AM
This was a vote for inertia, and by that definition I am not expecting much future voluntary movement.

The MVC decline is already underway. The speed of its decent is the only remaining question. Where is its bottom? Much deeper than most of the voters seem to realize.

What can VU do to help? Accept, then step in and immediately become the biggest  :censored: in the room voicing the future need for the 12 team, floating divisional setup. It is not too late but wait and see foot dragging just ain't gonna cut it.

The decline should be compared to other Midwest mid major conferences. Pretty much every mid major conference is in decline due to  the best mid majors moving up and the resulting conference churn.

Call it inertia, but taking the Horizon's best team was a smart play, if only to cripple the nearby leagues.

VU2014

Hahaha wow Detroit area reporter is already declaring Oakland "Top Dog" of the Conference now...
https://twitter.com/JRoseWXYZ/status/861969729707286528

vu72

Quote from: VULB#62 on May 09, 2017, 11:34:48 AM
Quote from: vu72 on May 09, 2017, 11:33:08 AM

Probably depends on what "the details" wind up being, don'tcha think?

Sure, but others have posted that "the details" are settled before and invite goes out. Doubt very seriously that a million dollar exit fees hasn;t been addressed/solved at this point.  Has an invitation to join a conference ever been issued publicly and then rejected?  Certainly hope not.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

crusader05

The accepting school isn't going to want to seem too eager, and you have to keep up the visual of an invite and an acceptance. My guess is there will be a phote op and official announcement with Valpo officials and that's more of the negotiation that's happening than anything that could scuttle the deal. If Valpo wasn't going to accept they would have let the MVC know privately before the vote and put out their own announcement highlighting why either before or shortly after a decision was announced.