• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

FBI arrests several NCAA Power Conference asst. Bball coaches on corruption

Started by VU2014, September 26, 2017, 09:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD24

Quote from: UNIFTW on September 27, 2017, 01:25:50 PM
Quote from: VULB#62 on September 26, 2017, 10:49:34 PMValpo, please be clean. Please be clean. Please be clean. And BTW, please be clean.
You're not. UNI isn't SIU isn't ISUr isn't No one is "clean". Just varying degrees of dirty. We aren't at a level the feds will care about. Chances of us using money funneled from our equipment supplier is also about zero, which is where most of this stems.

What about the guy at the prep school?

valpo64

I sure hope that our Ok. St. transfer is not involved or "tainted" in this mess.  I believe that this investigation has only scratched the surface at this point and that most of  the power schools will have some problems.

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on September 27, 2017, 03:59:08 PM
I sure hope that our Ok. St. transfer is not involved or "tainted" in this mess.  I believe that this investigation has only scratched the surface at this point and that most of  the power schools will have some problems.

I don't think Joe Burton was involved or was even there when that coach joined Oklahoma State. He transferred to Valpo before that assistant coach came into the program under Brad Underwood (now Illinois Coach).

Joe left Oklahoma State when Brad Underwood was named the new Oklahoma State coach.

He announced he was going to transfer in early-May 2016 when his Spring academic semester ended. Underwood was hired in late-March and Lamont Evans was announced to be joining the Oklahoma State coaching staff on April 9th. Joe didn't even play or practice under this staff.
http://www.okstate.com/news/2016/4/4/mens-basketball-evans-named-to-cowboy-basketball-coaching-staff.aspx

bbtds

JD24

Miami's admitted they are being looked at. Coach says he's not involved. That, of course, is only until he is involved...if so.

ValpoDad89

Gents and Ladies, let's put this in perspective, this is an FBI CRIMINAL investigation. This is not an NCAA rules infraction issue. The FBI is pursuing charges against individuals criminally. Will the NCAA look into programs sure but they have no where the issues and resources the FBI does. There is 350+ D1 basketball programs. Yes this has deeper reaching ramifications and like all programs we got some dirt but our dirt is topsoil compared to what these P5-6 programs did, done and continually do. The NCAA was put on blast with this and for them to go after MVC schools or the like is contrary. To me this what we always wanted a level playing field and we will get it when all is said and done.

These programs need to be put on a post season lock immediately. That opens opportunities for the high mids to make a name and case to be included in the Big Dance and when they see that's what the pubic wanted along good for us.

justducky

Quote from: JD24 on September 27, 2017, 05:30:05 PMlet's put this in perspective, this is an FBI CRIMINAL investigation. This is not an NCAA rules infraction issue. The FBI is pursuing charges against individuals criminally.
OK so cleaning up college recruiting violations is not their primary target, but then what is? Is it safe for us to assume that this underground flow of cash, favors and merchandise is nearly all unreported and therefor untaxed income? If so does the FBI look at these coaches as being low hanging fruits that might scare the industry leeches into reporting to the IRS? Or is Nike a target too?

Somebody help me out. I can see how numerous rules have been violated but how many and what type of criminal charges could be pursued? Could anybody serve any serious jail time? If not is this more of an IRS attention getter with the help of their brothers at the FBI?

JD24

Quote from: justducky on September 27, 2017, 08:49:19 PM
Quote from: JD24 on September 27, 2017, 05:30:05 PMlet's put this in perspective, this is an FBI CRIMINAL investigation. This is not an NCAA rules infraction issue. The FBI is pursuing charges against individuals criminally.
OK so cleaning up college recruiting violations is not their primary target, but then what is? Is it safe for us to assume that this underground flow of cash, favors and merchandise is nearly all unreported and therefor untaxed income? If so does the FBI look at these coaches as being low hanging fruits that might scare the industry leeches into reporting to the IRS? Or is Nike a target too? Somebody help me out. I can see how numerous rules have been violated but how many and what type of criminal charges could be pursued? Could anybody serve any serious jail time? If not is this more of an IRS attention getter with the help of their brothers at the FBI?

Just a piece of it:

"The charges brought forward include violations of federal statutes on bribery and wire fraud, among other laws. Any assistant coach found to be taking bribes while employed by an institution receiving federal funds, for example, could be liable to prosecution under federal law."

covufan

Did these coaches honestly believe that since the money (slush fund) was from shoe companies or AAU connections that they wouldn't be caught?

Very odd, and it appears far reaching.  The silly season of coaching changes started two days ago - somewhat early in the basketball season.

JD24

Pitino apparently directly involved. Things may get worse for him. Some think charges and jail time possible.

VU2014

The scandal has now reached arguably one of the historical Top 4 programs in the Country.
And I'm sure Bill Self had no clue Adidas was helping him in recruiting  :crazy:
https://twitter.com/ChatSports/status/913492501436289026

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on September 28, 2017, 03:07:50 PM
The scandal has now reach arguably one of the historical Top 4 programs in the Country.
And I'm sure Bill Self had no clue Adidas was helping him in recruiting  :crazy:

This isn't being investigated by the NCAA clown force. It's the FBI, the top criminal investigative force on the planet. No one is going to skate because of name or conference affiliation. No doubt they are already squeezing the people they've arrested to find out just how deep this goes.

The process is pretty easy to visualize. Interview the accused, present the evidence, paint a grim picture of the indicted's future - humiliation of family, bankruptcy, prison sentence, isolation from their children, likely divorce, ongoing appeals and court appearances, parole hearings, and finally starting life over as an older, jobless, familyless parolee. Ultimately, they introduce the possibility of a quid pro quo for sworn testimony about people who put them up to what they did, endorsed what they did, turned a blind eye to it, whatever. Next thing you know the list grows exponentially.

crusader05

Also the FBI has access to wire-taping and other surveillance methods via warrants. They also are not invested in preserving anyone's reputation or with working with these schools, coaches, etc in the future. There is no way this will play out like an NCAA investigation in regards to legal punishments. Now, the FBI is not really interested in voiding championship wins or banning post conference play so that may be where we see how real the NCAA is about everything. Maybe we'll be seeing a whole lot more mid-majors in the tournament this year.

justducky

Quote from: wh on September 28, 2017, 09:15:35 PMThis isn't being investigated by the NCAA clown force. It's the FBI, the top criminal investigative force on the planet. No one is going to skate because of name or conference affiliation.

So join me in song

Hmmmmm
They're in the jailhouse now
Well I told them once or twice
To not hog all the talent by employing vice
Yo da le he ah he, Yo da le he ah he, Yo da le he ah he, Yo da le he ah he, YO DA LE HEEEEEE!

VUSL98

Maybe way out of bounds, but what about the Louisville recruit?  Is he completely innocent in all this?  First visit to Louisville and two days later he commits?  Isn't anyone advising him?  Is this accepted practice for an 18 year old?  I have a lot of questions for the recruits involved in these scandals.  They are the ones accepting the offers.

VULB#62

Quote from: VUSL98 on October 01, 2017, 06:47:37 PM
Maybe way out of bounds, but what about the Louisville recruit?  Is he completely innocent in all this?  First visit to Louisville and two days later he commits?  Isn't anyone advising him?  Is this accepted practice for an 18 year old?  I have a lot of questions for the recruits involved in these scandals.  They are the ones accepting the offers.

Is it my imagination or are we seeing more and more newish posters attracted to and participating in the fan forum? 

The move to the MVC and improved football competitiveness just might be drawing more fans. That is great!

Might that also indicate that Valpo sports has some pull in alums investing in Valpo?

VU2014

Definitely great to see new names in the forums! Also nice to see ValpoDad is chiming in from time to time! Always appreciate his insight.

The increase involvement might have to do with the move to the MVC. This is probably the most exited I've every been about the start of any season in my time of being a Valpo Hoops fan. We're in a much better conference with schools fans that actually care about their teams which we never really had in the Horizon League (or at least to a very lesser extent). The is just so much more competitive then it was in the Horizon.

Quote from: VUSL98 on October 01, 2017, 06:47:37 PM
Maybe way out of bounds, but what about the Louisville recruits*?  Is he completely innocent in all this?  First visit to Louisville and two days later he commits?  Isn't anyone advising him?  Is this accepted practice for an 18 year old?  I have a lot of questions for the recruits involved in these scandals.  They are the ones accepting the offers.

There are definitely people advising these kids and pulling them into a thousand direction. I think there has to be some accountability on the student-athletes behalves but I tend to not blame the kids as much as I do the adults that are suppose to guiding these kids: parents, coaches.

What kind of annoys the crap out of me are the media folks that try and spin this whole scandal into the sports fault that it doesn't pay players. I just do not buy into that theory. If the NCAA agreed to require every school pay their men's basketball players $10,000 a year it would NOT stop cheating. It might just amplify the cheating behind closed doors. Not to mention it would force many Low to Mid-Majors to go to D2, because they couldn't afford to pay those players. I don't think people realize that many athletics departments are running in the RED and not actually making a surplus. If any net profit from Men's Basketball & Football (overwhelmingly the only 2 college sports that make profit) is used to subsidize Non-Revenue generating sports. College Sports isn't a cash cow the general public thinks it is unless you're in the FBS Power Conferences with those massive TV deals. And even then some of those big conference teams don't break even. Also kids aren't just getting a free education, they get free rent, monthly stipends, free meal plans, free gear. It's not a bad deal...

My personal opinion is much of the monetary value generated with this sport is do to the name on the front of the jersey and not the one on the back. Universities have pre-built in fan-bases that will likely be there regardless of the caliber of the athletes playing in those jerseys as harsh as that may sounds. The D-League (G-League? or whatever its called these days) is a higher level of basketball then college basketball but nobody cares or watches it and there isn't much interest in it... because nobody cares about teams as opposed to college basketball which has a much much larger following & fan support because of the colleges & Universities that bring the brand & fan-bases.

Nobody is stopping kids from going pro if they want to. Many don't go pro because they actually find the NCAA platform more advantageous because they get professional level coaching & most importantly get exposure. I think the '1 & done' rule may have actually done more harm then good. The '1 & done' is good for the NBA & programs like Kentucky but its hurt the sport. The NBA draft should move to the MLB or NFL model. Either go pro coming out of high school or be required to stay 2-3 years.

Paying players will not eliminate cheating. What will lessen cheating is the NCAA starting to push back on these major programs that do it & enforcing punishments that actually make it hurt when Universities & coaches get caught.

bbtds

I agree with Mark Adams who feels that the schools that benefited monetarily from the outright cheating should not be able to continue their basketball programs this coming season and lose the money gains they would have received for the 2017-18 season.

Also I believe that coaches like Rick Pitino should be fined half their salaries for the period that they were found to be cheating. They benefited from the cheating monetarily and those monetary gains should be forfeited.

crusadermoe

Amen.   

This issue will truly test the NCAA's sincerity in upholding the scholar-athlete and all of their talk about integrity.

Why not take the TV money share earned in last the last two years' NCAA tournaments by the cheaters  and re-distribute to the entire balance of division I schools who do not generate net athletics income.  Put your Title IX money where your mouth is as a governing body?