• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Women's Basketball 2017-2018

Started by IndyValpo, October 01, 2017, 03:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

historyman

Valpo knocks off Eastern Illinois on the road 76-67. That's 3 wins in a row, okay they were against Chicago State, IU-Northwest and Eastern Illinois but it was only the second road win and it was against a team that was 1-7 going into the game........................oh!, never mind.............
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

valpotx

First winning season after 10 games since 2001-2002.
"Don't mess with Texas"

NativeCheesehead

RealTimeRPI has our SOS at 329. Almost as if this schedule was put together to put up some Ws in the last year of a contract.  ;)

valpotx

The women are now 9-7, and 2-3 in conference.  Not too bad, so far.
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I watched their game yesterday and I would agree that they have improved a fair amount--though Loyola is pretty bad!  I love they fast paced game led by their freshman point guard who is REALLY fast.  Also applaud Dani Franklin for getting 1500 points!!   :cheers:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

NativeCheesehead

Regardless, I really hope we more on from Dorow. ML has shown pretty good judgement with coaches. Good time to make a change. Cupboard certainly won't be bare next year.

valpotx

In other news, Jasmyn Walker is having a disappointing first season at Western Michigan, only averaging 8 ppg, and shooting poorly.  I know that she is able to play with her younger sister, but she could have been so much more.
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpotx

What was a 3 point game in the third against MO State, went to crap with a 24-0 run by the Bears.  Seriously??
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

I couldn't watch any longer.  Down 10 after the 1st, then battle back to down 4 at the half, only to be outscored by 20 in the 3rd.  They had 19 assts to 7 TOs.  They are in 1st place but stat wise, going into the game, we were almost a complete match.  Ouch! 
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpo64

It is the "Peter Principal" for the Coach...she is not able to adjust and coach at this level...way over her head...time for a change.  It is getting to be embarrassing

jack

They should be 75% in the win column with the schedule they have. They have underachieved based on the talent, since coach Dorow  came on board.
On another note, previous assistant Katie Collignon is having a great season coaching Marquette Catholic. They're #2 in 1A right now. Congrats!

valpotx

Our women's team is better than our men's team for the first time in a long, long time
"Don't mess with Texas"

valporun

Quote from: valpotx on January 26, 2018, 09:54:47 PM
Our women's team is better than our men's team for the first time in a long, long time

The MVC women's game isn't as strong as the men. It looks like a good fit, plus we have a good balance of women that are matched up very well. The women used to rely on Dani Franklin's scoring. Now we have a strong balance of Hamlet, Blood, Morrison, Hales, and others on the roster that can score. They don't have to rely on Dani to do it all. It has definitely shown more in MVC play that Dani has been a great foundation to build around, instead of letting all of the work be on Dani's shoulder, others have taken on the scoring brunt, or leadership.

jack

Quote from: valporun on January 27, 2018, 01:29:35 PM
Quote from: valpotx on January 26, 2018, 09:54:47 PM

The MVC women's game isn't as strong as the men. It looks like a good fit, plus we have a good balance of women that are matched up very well. The women used to rely on Dani Franklin's scoring. Now we have a strong balance of Hamlet, Blood, Morrison, Hales, and others on the roster that can score. They don't have to rely on Dani to do it all. It has definitely shown more in MVC play that Dani has been a great foundation to build around, instead of letting all of the work be on Dani's shoulder, others have taken on the scoring brunt, or leadership.

It still comes down to Ws and Ls. Until we can win some games we aren't expected to, I don't see it as progress. We aren't even winning all the games we should. With the schedule so far, I would expect a 13 - 7 record, and would be disappointed if I was this coaching staff. We'll see how we fair on this road trip.

IndyValpo

We scored 101 earlier in the week against Evansville and yesterday we had to score 25 in the 4th quarter to reach 54.  Now that is consistency! First loss at home...

jack

Quote from: IndyValpo on January 29, 2018, 08:42:14 AM
We scored 101 earlier in the week against Evansville and yesterday we had to score 25 in the 4th quarter to reach 54.  Now that is consistency! First loss at home...

Second home loss. Lost to Bradley also 88 - 69.

valpo64

I think for a number of people posting on this board that you should be much more concerned and critical with the women's program thasn with Coach Lottich.  As has been said before, we are just not used to a very inexperienced team after a number of years with a veteran team.  You just never knoiw abourt how recruits will pan out in many areas, from ability on this level, academiocs, social adjustments, etc., injuries, etc, let alone the upgrade to the MVC.  I believe thast womwn's program is a total disaster.   I think we have some good recruits but it ends once they get here.

vu72

Quote from: valpo64 on January 29, 2018, 11:40:28 AM
I think for a number of people posting on this board that you should be much more concerned and critical with the women's program thasn with Coach Lottich.  As has been said before, we are just not used to a very inexperienced team after a number of years with a veteran team.  You just never knoiw abourt how recruits will pan out in many areas, from ability on this level, academiocs, social adjustments, etc., injuries, etc, let alone the upgrade to the MVC.  I believe thast womwn's program is a total disaster.   I think we have some good recruits but it ends once they get here.

Clearly the history under Coach Dorrow is not good, to say the least. Having said that I will add that I have watched a fair amount of their games and clearly see potential.  They have the second tallest team in our history, the first team point guard went down with a season ending injury, of the top five scorers, two are freshman and one is a sophomore.  They graduate only two, one of which plays a significant role.
Apparently they are adding a couple of high quality kids next year as well, both are great shooters and both are rated ESPN 3 star.

I'd give her one more year to produce an upper half Valley team or be shown the door.

NativeCheesehead

Her contract is up, and a one year extension doesn't really work for either side. It's just time to move on. A new coach can come in with some talent already in place and start off in a really good situation. 

jack

This team has under-achieved with the talent on hand for many years. A one year extension or a 5 year contract won't change that. New blood, with a new philosophy is needed now.

IndyValpo

6 games plus tourney remain; we are at 11-12 overall 4-8 and 8th in the MVC. 4 Home games against 1,2,3,4 in the standings. Road games at Ind St (#5)  and hapless Evansville. Looks like a 8 vs 9 match up against Loyola.  We traditionally win that game, claim momentum and save Dorow's job. Will this year be any different?

valpo64

Amen, jack!  You are right on the money!

VU2014

valpotx

Tough loss.  They have shown improvement.
"Don't mess with Texas"