• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

MVC Hoops: 2017-18

Started by VU2014, November 03, 2017, 03:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I thought we might want to create a new Topic specifically to discuss what's happening around the Valley.

VU2014

Valley Exhibition/Scrimmage News:

-Braves' 87-57 wins over Robert Morris
https://twitter.com/CJCunningham3/status/925901885374164992
Loyola almost beat Northwestern in a "secret-scrimmage". It's only a scrimmage but that's impressive because Northwestern is suppose to be a Top 25 Team.
https://twitter.com/Catch_N_Shoot/status/926246791280029696
https://twitter.com/Catch_N_Shoot/status/926249069864988672

MVC Injury News:
-Illinois State 7-footer Ndiaye out 6 weeks with stress fracture
-Illinois State freshman guard Elijah Clarance, also sidelined with a stress fracture
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/illinois-state/isu--footer-ndiaye-out-six-weeks-with-stress-fracture/article_aad123e4-2e2d-5b31-b5d7-c3485901d08c.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=user-share
http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/injuries-mounting-in-mvc/
https://twitter.com/THefferman/status/926201037626728451

VU2014

UNI almost lost to D2 team in a exhibition game today... Some media members were giving UNI 1st place votes in the MVC.
https://twitter.com/CJCunningham3/status/927279908920987653
https://twitter.com/CJCunningham3/status/927304582472093696
https://twitter.com/CJCunningham3/status/927278791956852736

Illinois State also played an exhibition against D2 Lewis University today. I caught part of the game and Taylor Bruninga didn't look bad. Illinois State is really short handed because of injuries and one of their players is away for undisclosed "personal reasons". They only dressed 8 scholarship players.
https://twitter.com/Pg_Benson/status/927291350009118720

EddieCabot

Quote from: VU2014 on November 05, 2017, 07:08:16 PM
UNI almost lost to D2 team in a exhibition game today... Some media members were giving UNI 1st place votes in the MVC.

Wow.  It's telling that many teams are struggling with D2 teams, but Valpo dominated D2 Robert Morris.  Show how little media nows.

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 05, 2017, 07:19:42 PMShow how little media nows.

Your right! Media nows more than it knows and never says "no"s to now news,  ;)

bbtds

Quote from: EddieCabot on November 05, 2017, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on November 05, 2017, 07:08:16 PM

Wow.  It's telling that many teams are struggling with D2 teams, but Valpo dominated D2 Robert Morris.  Show how little media (k)nows.

I think style of play and match ups will greatly influence who Valpo plays well against and who Valpo struggles against.

underdawg

Three men short (starters 6-8 thik Bol, 6-5 PG Marcus Bartley and 6-8 PF Austin Weiher (a reserve), 6-5 guard Armon Fletcher 15, 6-9 reserve center Rudy Stradnieks 11 and PG Eric McGill looked great as a sub for Bartley with 10 points, 6 assists and 5 steals.

SIU got good news on Bol--he had a small tear in his Meniscus (Knee) but was already at game walking (albeit slowly) without aid (no crutched or even a cane)--he will be back by December--as will Bartley

vusupporter

Robert Morris is NAIA D2 - big difference from NCAA D2

SanityLost17

I definitely think it is too early to get super excited.   As we know, Chicago State is a dumpster fire and Robert Morris is NAIA D2.   A lot of the other MVC teams do have injury problems right now which account for their rough starts in exhibition/scrimmages.  I am sure we will have our fair share of injuries this year, all teams go through rough stretches on health.

I am pleased to see we have taken care of business early, but I am just not sure it means anything yet.   I would like to see how we do in our 1st 3 true D1 regular season games before over analyzing anything.   

bbtds

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 06, 2017, 09:39:06 AMI am sure we will have our fair share of injuries this year, all teams go through rough stretches on health.

In case you didn't read it or notice, Micah Bradford is day-to-day with a foot/ankle injury. Valpo seems to have an abundance of guards at this time so it is not nearly hurting the Crusaders as much as when both Keith Carter and Lexus Williams were both injured. Valpo has the ability to get through the injuries with it's current depth.

VU2014

Quote from: SanityLost17 on November 06, 2017, 09:39:06 AM
I definitely think it is too early to get super excited.   As we know, Chicago State is a dumpster fire and Robert Morris is NAIA D2.   A lot of the other MVC teams do have injury problems right now which account for their rough starts in exhibition/scrimmages.  I am sure we will have our fair share of injuries this year, all teams go through rough stretches on health.

I am pleased to see we have taken care of business early, but I am just not sure it means anything yet.   I would like to see how we do in our 1st 3 true D1 regular season games before over analyzing anything.   

I agree with all of this. I'd also like to see how we do against higher level competition. I want to see how this team defends good half court offenses. RMU was just clearly less talented & they were pressing the whole game. I wasn't at the CSU game but it sounds like their offense heavily involved setting screes for Sims Jr. and he just wasn't making shots. CSU only shot 15% (3-20) from 3 and they had a horrendous Field Goal % of 24.1% (13-58).

Judging from the post game comments from Coach Lottich he was very happy with the defensive effort of the team as a whole. How much of that do we attribute to the Valpo's Defense and how much do we attribute to CSU being an awful team and were they just missing open looks? I don't know because I wasn't at the game.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/JeffEisenberg/status/927908465644675072
https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-new-college-basketball-seasons-strongest-leagues-1-12-135213481.html

Ranking this college basketball season's strongest leagues from 1 to 12
Jeff Eisenberg
Nov 7, 2017

1. ACC
2. BIG 12
3. BIG EAST
4. BIG TEN
5. SEC
6. PAC-12
7. AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
8. ATLANTIC 10
9. WEST COAST CONFERENCE
10. MOUNTAIN WEST

11. MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE
Pick to win the league title: Missouri State
Projected NCAA tournament teams: 1 (Missouri State)
Three players to watch: Alize Scott, F, Missouri State; Bennett Koch, F, Northern Iowa; Donte Ingram, G/F, Loyola
Coach under the most pressure: Barry Hinson, Southern Illinois
Outlook: Creighton left for the Big East four years ago. Wichita State bolted for the American Athletic Conference this past spring. With its two former flagship programs now playing elsewhere, the Missouri Valley Conference appears in jeopardy of becoming a perennial one-bid league. Missouri State could be the class of the league this season, but the Bears didn't assemble a strong enough non-league schedule to give themselves realistic hope of an at-large NCAA tournament bid. Northern Iowa and Illinois State are the league's strongest remaining brands, but the Panthers have some holes in their backcourt and the Redbirds were decimated by offseason transfers. Wichita State kept the Valley nationally relevant the past five years by producing a Final Four, an undefeated regular season and 10 NCAA tournament victories. An heir apparent may someday emerge, but for now the Shockers appear irreplaceable.

12. CONFERENCE USA

They're sleeping on Tevonn and I'd argue even though Valpo Basketball just joined the Conference, I think we're already one of the League's strongest "brands" nationally.

Valpower

Quote from: VU2014 on November 07, 2017, 12:44:35 PM
QuoteNorthern Iowa and Illinois State are the league's strongest remaining brands, but the Panthers have some holes in their backcourt and the Redbirds were decimated by offseason transfers. Wichita State kept the Valley nationally relevant the past five years by producing a Final Four, an undefeated regular season and 10 NCAA tournament victories. An heir apparent may someday emerge, but for now the Shockers appear irreplaceable.

12. CONFERENCE USA

They're sleeping on Tevonn and I'd argue even though Valpo Basketball just joined the Conference, I think we're already one of the League's strongest "brands" nationally.
In fairness, he did say "remaining" but in not mentioning us at all, he did, effectively dismiss our potential impact.

NativeCheesehead

Respect is earned, and in the MVC we've earned nothing.

Good news is.....we'll have the chance.

VU2014

A bold statement. He's saying that Loyola will be better then Illinois. It could be possible.
https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/928095960185692160

wh

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 07, 2017, 01:03:50 PM

Let's be honest. We didnt even know what we had until after destroying a couple of exhibition opponents. Now we think we're going to be good - possibly very good. That doesn't mean anyone else knows it, or even wants to know it. The last thing anyone in the MVC wants is for newcomer Valpo to assume the mantle from Creighton and WSU. No one is going to pay any attention to us until they have to.

VU2014

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on November 07, 2017, 01:03:50 PM

Agreed respect is earned but brand is a whole different item. Valpo is already one of the best "brands" in the conference. Brand doesn't mean we're the best, it just means people recognize the program.

Quote from: wh on November 08, 2017, 01:09:58 PM
Let's be honest. We didnt even know what we had until after destroying a couple of exhibition opponents. Now we think we're going to be good - possibly very good. That doesn't mean anyone else knows it, or even wants to know it. The last thing anyone in the MVC wants is for newcomer Valpo to assume the mantle from Creighton and WSU.

We're going to need to go on a tourney run to be in the same conversation as Creighton and WSU. I'm not sure there is anyone in the conference who will turn into the perennial powerhouse they were. But they're are programs that have the potential to. In all reality WSU has only been a powerhouse till recently when the caught fire with Marshall and they had the financial backing from donors and the top of their admin to advance the program.

Quote from: wh on November 08, 2017, 01:09:58 PM
No one is going to pay any attention to us until they have to.

I guarantee you MVC fans will be watching us very closely this season. We're the new kids and the block and we don't want to be the weak link in the conference. We unfortunately will be getting compared to WSU and Murray State through out the season.

I definitely think we can surpass the 6th place media predictions.

VU2014

https://twitter.com/FatherHarry1/status/928632242804490240

MVC – Fighting For Relevance
by Harry Schroeder
November 9, 2017

(St. Louis, MO) – When you lose two top 25 teams in four years, your national image takes a hit. Now the Missouri Valley Conference has the task of rebuilding the brand, growing its programs and becoming a significant part of the college basketball conversation once again.

Make no mistake, the nation's second oldest basketball conference is respected, and respectable, but the logo has taken a few hits over the past half decade. Even while major conference programs are facing scandal, indictments and firings, the Valley is faced with huge issues.

Can the Valley be a 'Multi-Bid League' Again?

......... (give the rest a click & read)

http://www.valleyhoopsinsider.com/mvc-fighting-for-relevance/

VU2014

https://twitter.com/bradleyhoops/status/928371213134524416

Valparaiso a perfect fit for the Valley
By Dave Reynolds
Journal Star sports reporter
Posted Nov 8, 2017 at 3:00 PM     

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on November 09, 2017, 10:50:33 AM
https://twitter.com/bradleyhoops/status/928371213134524416

By Dave Reynolds

I'm not sure anyone will be interested enough in reading the article to buy a monthly/annual subscription to the pjstar in order to access it.

VULB#62

How bout a copy/paste of the text?

ml2

Quote from: VU2014 on November 08, 2017, 01:47:54 PM
Agreed respect is earned but brand is a whole different item. Valpo is already one of the best "brands" in the conference. Brand doesn't mean we're the best, it just means people recognize the program.

Brand is a tricky concept to measure, but I got some interesting results looking at Google Trends. Below is a rating based on number of Google searches for a school's men's basketball team from within the US over the last 90 days. All school's values are relative to Valpo, which I gave a value of 1.000. So a score of .5000 would be half as popular as Valpo and a score of 2.0000 would be twice as popular as Valpo. Anyone over 1.000 was more popular than Valpo and anyone under 1.000 was less popular. Here's how we stacked up relative to the rest of the MVC

UNI - 1.5455
ISUb - 1.3636
MSU - 1.1600
SIU - 1.0000
Bradley - .9706
ISUr - .8621
LUC - .7500
Evansville - .6667
Drake - .6111

Here are the Chicago area schools - something to think about when considering how much coverage Valpo does/does not get from Chicago media.

Notre Dame - 23.8889
Northwestern - 11.0000
Illinois - 9.0000
DePaul - 2.5385
UIC - 1.1538
NIU - .8000
Loyola - .7500
Chicago State - .3611

And lastly some other random programs that I thought people might be interested to see:

Butler - 5.4000
Xavier - 4.1667
Dayton - 2.2857
SLU - 1.4444
Oakland - 1.0857
Murray State - .8333
Belmont - .6429
NKU - .3333

VU2014

Quote from: wh on November 09, 2017, 11:42:26 AM
I'm not sure anyone will be interested enough in reading the article to buy a monthly/annual subscription to the pjstar in order to access it.

That's weird. The first time I opened the article it was free (open to the public view).  Maybe they just changed it.

By Dave Reynolds

Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich chuckled when a question was posed in jest whether his team was up to replacing Wichita State, the national powerhouse program whose vacancy opened a spot in the Missouri Valley Conference for the Crusaders.

"That would be pretty daunting," Lottich said. "We're not going to replace Wichita State. But we fit what a Valley school is – we have a tough arena for (opponents) to play in (a record of 47-4 at home the last three years), we defend and we play the right way. We'll be a hard team to beat."

That was the consensus of every MVC coach queried about the men's basketball program at the small Lutheran-affiliated private university in northwest Indiana during last month's Valley media day in St. Louis.

"I don't think we could've found anybody better," said Evansville coach Marty Simmons. "The Missouri Valley hit a grand slam. They'll step in and compete right out of the gate."

Said Missouri State coach Paul Lusk, whose team lost at home to the Crusaders last year: "Valpo is a very good basketball program. It's a great addition for us."

Unfortunately for central Illinois fans, the player most responsible for Valpo's great success of late – Alec Peters of Washington – has moved on to the NBA.

Peters led the team to three consecutive Horizon League championships his last three seasons. The Crusaders went 82-22 and earned one NCAA tournament bid and a pair of NIT berths. Two years ago, in Peters' junior season, Valpo reached the NIT championship game, losing to George Washington.

But there was recent success prior to Peters as well.

From 1995-2013, Valparaiso earned seven NCAA bids and two NIT appearances along with 11 league crowns.

The highlight during that stretch, of course, was in 1998 when the 13th-seeded Crusaders reached the NCAA Sweet 16, capped by the iconic last-second 3-pointer by Bryce Drew to upset Ole Miss.

The Shot, as it's still called, is often replayed on NCAA promos as a classic example of Cinderella triumphing at The Ball.

"Valpo is not looking to come into our league as a middle-of-the-pack team," said MVC commissioner Doug Elgin. "They're looking to come in as a championship contender and win our league."

Considering all the firepower the Crusaders lost from last year's 24-9 NIT squad – aside from Peters' averages of 23 points and 10 rebounds, second-leading leader Shane Hammink, who contributed 15 points per game is also graduated – this might not be the year.

But don't tell Lottich that.

He returns his top defender, senior guard Tevonn Walker, who also averaged 11.9 points and 5.6 rebounds last season.

No other full-time starter is back, but several rotation guys are, including a pair of 7-footers who share the center spot, Jaume Sorolla and Derrick Smits.

A pair of Power 5 conference transfer guards – 6-6 Joe Burton from Oklahoma State and 6-2 Bakari Evelyn from Nebraska – figure to be valuable additions.

"You don't expect one person to replace Alec's numbers," Lottich said. "But collectively, we have guys who can contribute. I like our talent and the way everyone's buying into coaching. If we can defend, rebound, make free throws and take care of the basketball, we'll be in every game."

Aside from its basketball fit in the MVC, the Valpo-Valley marriage has much else in common.

Valparaiso, Ind., is just 51 miles east of Chicago, making it a perfect women's basketball travel partner for Loyola and a ready-made rivalry. Loyola was also a Horizon League member before joining the Valley in 2013.

"It's great for us having them in the league," said Loyola coach Porter Moser. "I saw first-hand what a close proximity Valley rivalry can be when I was at Illinois State."

Valpo, which also includes a law school within the university, is also a peer institution with Bradley, Loyola, Evansville and Drake, linking students among the schools. There is also a historical statewide connection with Indiana State and Evansville.

"Valpo fans are excited about being in the Valley," said Paul Oren, Valpo's beat writer for The Times of Northwest Indiana and a Valparaiso graduate. "There will be a lot more bragging rights than there was in the Horizon League."

So while losing Wichita State was a blow to the Missouri Valley Conference from a national perspective, by all accounts, the league couldn't have done better in choosing a new 10th member.

"When you sit with the Valley ADs and coaches, it's clear they have a passion for basketball and want to get better," said Valparaiso athletics director Mark LaBarbera. "That's a group you want to be with. I'm a firm believer that history is a good indicator of what people can achieve moving forward."

wh

Quote from: VU2014 on November 09, 2017, 12:18:58 PM
Quote from: wh on November 09, 2017, 11:42:26 AM

That's weird. The first time I opened the article it was free (open to the public view).  Maybe they just changed it.

By Dave Reynolds

Valparaiso coach Matt Lottich chuckled when a question was posed in jest whether his team was up to replacing Wichita State, the national powerhouse program whose vacancy opened a spot in the Missouri Valley Conference for the Crusaders.

"That would be pretty daunting," Lottich said. "We're not going to replace Wichita State. But we fit what a Valley school is – we have a tough arena for (opponents) to play in (a record of 47-4 at home the last three years), we defend and we play the right way. We'll be a hard team to beat."

That was the consensus of every MVC coach queried about the men's basketball program at the small Lutheran-affiliated private university in northwest Indiana during last month's Valley media day in St. Louis.

"I don't think we could've found anybody better," said Evansville coach Marty Simmons. "The Missouri Valley hit a grand slam. They'll step in and compete right out of the gate."

Said Missouri State coach Paul Lusk, whose team lost at home to the Crusaders last year: "Valpo is a very good basketball program. It's a great addition for us."

Unfortunately for central Illinois fans, the player most responsible for Valpo's great success of late – Alec Peters of Washington – has moved on to the NBA.

Peters led the team to three consecutive Horizon League championships his last three seasons. The Crusaders went 82-22 and earned one NCAA tournament bid and a pair of NIT berths. Two years ago, in Peters' junior season, Valpo reached the NIT championship game, losing to George Washington.

But there was recent success prior to Peters as well.

From 1995-2013, Valparaiso earned seven NCAA bids and two NIT appearances along with 11 league crowns.

The highlight during that stretch, of course, was in 1998 when the 13th-seeded Crusaders reached the NCAA Sweet 16, capped by the iconic last-second 3-pointer by Bryce Drew to upset Ole Miss.

The Shot, as it's still called, is often replayed on NCAA promos as a classic example of Cinderella triumphing at The Ball.

"Valpo is not looking to come into our league as a middle-of-the-pack team," said MVC commissioner Doug Elgin. "They're looking to come in as a championship contender and win our league."

Considering all the firepower the Crusaders lost from last year's 24-9 NIT squad – aside from Peters' averages of 23 points and 10 rebounds, second-leading leader Shane Hammink, who contributed 15 points per game is also graduated – this might not be the year.

But don't tell Lottich that.

He returns his top defender, senior guard Tevonn Walker, who also averaged 11.9 points and 5.6 rebounds last season.

No other full-time starter is back, but several rotation guys are, including a pair of 7-footers who share the center spot, Jaume Sorolla and Derrick Smits.

A pair of Power 5 conference transfer guards – 6-6 Joe Burton from Oklahoma State and 6-2 Bakari Evelyn from Nebraska – figure to be valuable additions.

"You don't expect one person to replace Alec's numbers," Lottich said. "But collectively, we have guys who can contribute. I like our talent and the way everyone's buying into coaching. If we can defend, rebound, make free throws and take care of the basketball, we'll be in every game."

Aside from its basketball fit in the MVC, the Valpo-Valley marriage has much else in common.

Valparaiso, Ind., is just 51 miles east of Chicago, making it a perfect women's basketball travel partner for Loyola and a ready-made rivalry. Loyola was also a Horizon League member before joining the Valley in 2013.

"It's great for us having them in the league," said Loyola coach Porter Moser. "I saw first-hand what a close proximity Valley rivalry can be when I was at Illinois State."

Valpo, which also includes a law school within the university, is also a peer institution with Bradley, Loyola, Evansville and Drake, linking students among the schools. There is also a historical statewide connection with Indiana State and Evansville.

"Valpo fans are excited about being in the Valley," said Paul Oren, Valpo's beat writer for The Times of Northwest Indiana and a Valparaiso graduate. "There will be a lot more bragging rights than there was in the Horizon League."

So while losing Wichita State was a blow to the Missouri Valley Conference from a national perspective, by all accounts, the league couldn't have done better in choosing a new 10th member.

"When you sit with the Valley ADs and coaches, it's clear they have a passion for basketball and want to get better," said Valparaiso athletics director Mark LaBarbera. "That's a group you want to be with. I'm a firm believer that history is a good indicator of what people can achieve moving forward."

Doesn't that suggest that Milwaukee would be a dumpster fire?

VUGrad1314

Milwaukee's history is tough to gauge They've gone from terrible to good to very good to good back to terrible again Not sure what I'd expect of them as a new MVC member They feel like a Loyola add that could really pay off but would take a solid four years to bear fruit Plus the travel partner thing is messy I can't see Milwaukee getting an invite unless the MVC explores a 14 or 16 team model that includes one of UIC or Green Bay or Oakland gets added to be our travel partner That last quote about history is exactly why this is a good fit for us and exactly why Murray State is an ideal expansion candidate the question is where and who is that worthy 12th team to tie it all together?