• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Road Trip Ride Board - let's try this out...

Started by talksalot, November 30, 2017, 09:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

talksalot

I'm sure many of us OLD alumni will remember the large map on the wall in the old union where you could pick up a ride or pick up a rider to go somewhere sometime... thought I'd try this out here.

I like to plan ahead... looking to see who's interested in going to the SIU game in Carbondale on Saturday 2/3.  Plan is to make a FULL day of it.  8:30am train out of Homewood, IL... hang out with dinner in C'Dale and go to the game and catch the "City of New Orleans" train back... which leave C'dale at 3:15am, gets back to Homewood about 7:45am  As of now, the round trip Amtrak tickets are about $61.   so... anyone interested?   also looking for dinner suggestions.

Valpower

I'll be going to the UC Riverside game. I can leave LA on December 6, arrive in Valpo on December 8, pick you up, and arrive in Riverside in time to grab a quick bite then watch the game on December 10. You'll have to figure your own way home.

talksalot

Quote from: Valpower on November 30, 2017, 10:01:36 PMin time to grab a quick bite then watch the game on December 10

nice idea... except the UCR game is on December 20....

Valpower

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
Quote from: Valpower on November 30, 2017, 10:01:36 PMin time to grab a quick bite then watch the game on December 10

nice idea... except the UCR game is on December 20....
I was going from a faulty memory. We'll have time for a leisurely dining extravaganza, then.

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on November 30, 2017, 09:30:53 PM
I'm sure many of us OLD alumni will remember the large map on the wall in the old union where you could pick up a ride or pick up a rider to go somewhere sometime... thought I'd try this out here.

I like to plan ahead... looking to see who's interested in going to the SIU game in Carbondale on Saturday 2/3.  Plan is to make a FULL day of it.  8:30am train out of Homewood, IL... hang out with dinner in C'Dale and go to the game and catch the "City of New Orleans" train back... which leave C'dale at 3:15am, gets back to Homewood about 7:45am  As of now, the round trip Amtrak tickets are about $61.   so... anyone interested?   also looking for dinner suggestions.

Harbaugh's Cafe in Carbondale's downtown area is a good country style place for breakfast, although I'm not sure if you will be considering breakfast except on the train.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35766-d2650049-Reviews-Harbaugh_s_Cafe-Carbondale_Illinois.html

http://www.harbaughscafe.net/

Take an Uber down to Makanda, IL for a trip through the sloping beautiful woods of SI and see Paul Simon's old house. I once was meandering through the woods on rural highways and ended up in Makanda and low and behold Senator Simon was talking to one of his neighbors and just suddenly included me in the conversation without my poking my big nose into the talk. They are extremely friendly down there unless they think you're against the Second Amendment.

Giant City State Park and Crab Orchard Lake are very nice areas.

If I do go it might be from Indy or another place in my travels. I don't know my February schedue yet.

talksalot

Happy New Year... so ... I pulled the trigger on this 24-hour insanity trip...

Who's interested in going to the SIU game in Carbondale on Saturday 2/3.  Plan is to make a FULL day of it.  8:30am train out of Homewood, IL... hang out with dinner in C'Dale and go to the game and catch the "City of New Orleans" train back... which leaves C'dale at 3:15am, gets back to Homewood about 7:45am  The round trip Amtrak tickets are $61.   

so... anyone interested?   also looking for dinner suggestions in the Carbondale area.  It's 14-degrees warmer there than in Valpo! (right now).

talksalot

OK, I'm up to TWO people going on this adventure...I'll drive from Valpo to/from Homewood train station

SalukiFan2016

Assuming that you don't have access to a car, your best bet are a couple of pizza places. Pagliai's (right next to the train station) and Quatro's (just down a couple of blocks and then one block west) have excellent deep-dish pizza but would not be considered "Chicago style". Not sure what time your train will get in, but if you're there early enough for a late breakfast, try Mary Lou's Grill. AWESOME biscuits and gravy. The Student Center has several fast-food places in it. I think a Steak N Shake just opened up there. If you do have access to a vehicle, I have some other choices for you.

talksalot

Quote from: SalukiFan2016 on January 03, 2018, 10:34:24 AM
Assuming that you don't have access to a car, your best bet are a couple of pizza places. Pagliai's (right next to the train station) and Quatro's (just down a couple of blocks and then one block west) have excellent deep-dish pizza but would not be considered "Chicago style". Not sure what time your train will get in, but if you're there early enough for a late breakfast, try Mary Lou's Grill. AWESOME biscuits and gravy. The Student Center has several fast-food places in it. I think a Steak N Shake just opened up there. If you do have access to a vehicle, I have some other choices for you.

Thanks no car...and the train is "Amtrak-scheduled" to get in at 1:45pm.   I see it just over a 1-mile walk to the arena, right past the union.   for "after game coifs" I see a place called "Trax" that's open late?   The train station opens at Midnight for a place to just take a nap...before the 3:15am train...

and I just looked at the Quatros menu....http://quatros.com/quatros_dinner_menu.pdf

just what a couple of "need to lose weight" 60-somethings need !! Perfect.   Wearing Valpo sweatshirts, I'm sure we'll fit right in !

SalukiFan2016

You'll be fine at Quatro's. There is a general malaise over the men's basketball program at SIU these days. Mostly directed at the head coach. BTW, you'll have no issues getting a ticket. Averaging less than 4,000 sold tickets (as opposed to butts in seats) in an 8,500-seat building. You can order tickets online through the athletics web site.

And yes, there are several establishments for "post-game revelry" between the University and the train station. I think they all stay open until 2 am in Carbondale. Most of them in that area are more student-focused but I am sure you can get a beer or two if you want one.

talksalot

hope you can stop by and say Hi... I'm guessing we'll be in the "visiting team tickets" area behind the Crusader bench.  Any idea what time they open the doors?

SalukiFan2016

I would guess no later than 6:00 for a 7:00 game. I was going to recommend to get there a little early and walk around the concourse. There are a ton of floor-to-ceiling pictures of former Saluki greats (men and women), including the 1967 NIT championship team (when the NIT meant something), including Walt "Clyde" Frazier and the 6-straight NCAA teams in the 2000's and the ESPN Gameday visit in 2008.

I live in St. Louis so there is a good chance that I will not be at the game. The current state of the Saluki program over the last decade makes it tough to make the trip down there.

SalukiFan2016

One thing I forgot to add....Make sure you stop on the Strip and get a Winston's bagel. Winston, himself, retired last year but a guy bought his cart and is starting to sell them again. Best darn bagels around. Especially after a few beers that evening.

valpospartan

Quote from: talksalot on January 03, 2018, 05:48:31 PM
Quote from: SalukiFan2016 on January 03, 2018, 10:34:24 AM

Thanks no car...and the train is "Amtrak-scheduled" to get in at 1:45pm.   I see it just over a 1-mile walk to the arena, right past the union.   for "after game coifs" I see a place called "Trax" that's open late?   The train station opens at Midnight for a place to just take a nap...before the 3:15am train...

and I just looked at the Quatros menu....http://quatros.com/quatros_dinner_menu.pdf

just what a couple of "need to lose weight" 60-somethings need !! Perfect.   Wearing Valpo sweatshirts, I'm sure we'll fit right in !

Are you planning on getting your hair done, JB?

talksalot

Wikipedia to sorta my rescue...

While the words 'coif' and 'quaff' sound alike, they have very little in common. They mean different things, come from different languages, and one is predominantly a verb while the other is predominantly a noun. Still, because they're homophones, people often mix them up if they have only ever heard the words spoken.

I guess I have only heard of Quaffs when slurred at a Keggar (yes, spelled correctly) on Mound Street, but that's a different story for a different time.

talksalot

So, the OOC conference is not really conducive to a one-day vehicular road trip (GW would be about $300 RT airfare...)

but the Conference Schedule is offering some interesting opportunities...and it's time to "Put the Band back together"....

Saturday  Jan. 12       at Southern Illinois
AMTRAK from Homewood leaves at 9am  <<basketball game between 2pm and 8pm>>  AMTRAK to Homewood arrives at 7:45am    $61 Round trip... it was a great trip last year...any takers?  The Pizza was phenomenal... both PreGame and PostGame!

Jan. 15       at Loyola --- too bad it's a Tuesday, but might be fun... tickets will be an issue for this one!

Jan. 23       at Indiana State - sucks that this is a Wednesday... only 3 hours down there, and we gain an hour coming back...

Feb. 2         at Evansville - Definitely doable... it's a Saturday.  about 5-hours from Valpo. No Mass transit available... but I have not been to the new Ford Arena...

Feb. 5         at Illinois State - sucks that this is a Tuesday

Feb. 16       at Drake - Saturday, but toooo far to drive.   MegaBus has one daily from Chicago to Des Moines arriving at 5:40pm, the return would be the next day leaving at 2:45pm, getting to Chicago at 9pm.  $60

Feb. 23       at UNI - a bit of a stretch at 5.5 hours (347 miles from Valpo)... that's 12 miles farther than it was to RUPP Arena that we did 2 years ago

Feb. 27       at Bradley - sucks it's a Thursday...

bbtds

Quote from: talksalot on September 06, 2018, 03:30:16 PMJan. 15       at Loyola --- too bad it's a Tuesday, but might be fun... tickets will be an issue for this one!

Has Loyola really sold out?

I know things will be different but they really only filled about 1/3 to 1/2 of their place last year.

https://luc.edu/createdbyculture/

Attendance in Gentile Arena for home games this season

Valparaiso 2,091    2/14/18