• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Javon Freeman-Liberty Senior Year (HS)

Started by VU2014, December 02, 2017, 08:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I thought I might as well create a new thread so we can keep track of Javon's senior year at Whitney Young High School.

bbtds

Quote from: wh on December 03, 2017, 06:32:21 AM
Oh my word, look at this!

https://www.twitter.com/TheCubeDotCom/status/937156991134380032/video/1

Honestly I'm more intrigued by the refs wearing yellow and that the game was held at UIC, virtually a home game for near by WYMHS and on recruiter McClain's court.

Let's let Javon be Javon when he gets to Valpo!

VU2014

Quote from: bbtds on December 03, 2017, 11:45:10 AM
the game was held at UIC, virtually a home game for near by WYMHS and on recruiter McClain's court.

I wonder how the NCAA is allowing this. I thought there was a NCAA rule against this, because it gave teams an advantage in recruiting. Valpo use to host a High School showcase or tournament of something but could no longer do it because of the NCAA rule. I remember someone mentioning Tommy Kurth played in the tournament.

-If a recruit watches McClain's coaching abilities, that should counteract this recruiting advantage  ;D

-I think there will be high expectation's for Javon coming into his freshman season but he won't depended on to be the leading scorer or anything next season, which should take off some of the pressure. He'll be surrounded by a lot of veteran talent. One of the things that really excites me about Javon's game is that he's not a one trick pony. He has the opportunity to become a very strong defender, which is great to hear because Valpo will miss Tevonn and Max's strong perimeter defense next season.

VU2014

Javon is a humble kid. Link to an interview. Valpo comes up a few times in the interview.
https://twitter.com/PrepCircuit/status/937848504399073281

FWalum

Quote from: VU2014 on December 04, 2017, 07:38:39 PM
Javon is a humble kid. Link to an interview. Valpo comes up a few times in the interview.
https://twitter.com/PrepCircuit/status/937848504399073281
Didn't really like that fact that this guy implied that people thought Javon was too good for Valpo.
My current favorite podcast: The Glenn Loury Show https://bloggingheads.tv/programs/glenn-show

VU2014

Quote from: FWalum on December 06, 2017, 04:26:36 PM
Didn't really like that fact that this guy implied that people thought Javon was too good for Valpo.

I noticed that to. It was nice to see Javon shrugging it off right away.

ValpoDad89

If you look at how bad UIC has underachieved yet this far and how we are 8-0 I'd like to think Javon isn't regretting his college choice.

McClain, good recruiter...bad in game coach. Plus he has his uncle giving him guidance as well. And if you don't think Marcus status, even so many years ago, doesn't resonate with his nephew, you're terribly mistaken. Plus Marcus, via Twitter, was a fan of his signing. Not only that, he's a NLI signee so for him to change direction will cause him to lose a year. He is totally a Valpo kid.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: ValpoDad89 on December 06, 2017, 07:32:47 PM
If you look at how bad UIC has underachieved yet this far and how we are 8-0 I'd like to think Javon isn't regretting his college choice.

McClain, good recruiter...bad in game coach. Plus he has his uncle giving him guidance as well. And if you don't think Marcus status, even so many years ago, doesn't resonate with his nephew, you're terribly mistaken. Plus Marcus, via Twitter, was a fan of his signing. Not only that, he's a NLI signee so for him to change direction will cause him to lose a year. He is totally a Valpo kid.

I hope Javon stays focused on maturity on and off the court.  Though I don't know any coach that holds disgruntled recruits to the NLI.  It's bad press, most times I've seen a release which means he's not bound to the previous agreement.

ValpoDad89

Goodie, true that but it's also rare a recruit backs out of NLI without a coaching change. My take is we have nothing to worry about. I think he is fine and safe with his commitment and everything I've heard about this young man is he wants to prove his detractors wrong. What better place than that sleeping giant nestled in the crescent of NW Indiana. Look at want happened to Alec Peters when he committed and didn't waiver. Valpo is a special place and I get more convinced of that every time I step on campus.

M

He is killin' everybody. Will he be the next great Crusader?

bbtds

Quote from: M on December 17, 2017, 08:52:16 PM
He is killin' everybody. Will he be the next great Crusader?

Let Javon be Javon, an excellent person!

VU2014

It's going to be tough to beat Ayo and THT but Javon is definitely right up there in the conversation for Illinois Mr. Basketball.
https://twitter.com/marsreel/status/949029929160716289

valpotx

I am excited for him to arrive, but also worried that he comes to his senses and goes P5...
"Don't mess with Texas"

vu72

Quote from: valpotx on January 05, 2018, 12:13:25 AM
I am excited for him to arrive, but also worried that he comes to his senses and goes P5...

I think he already did come to his senses and realized that he could be THE guy at Valpo versus one of the guys at a P5.  He has had plenty of smart, experienced folks around him.  At some point I remember him saying something about being able to start right away at Valpo.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

VU2014

Quote from: vu72 on January 05, 2018, 07:53:12 AM

I think he already did come to his senses and realized that he could be THE guy at Valpo versus one of the guys at a P5.  He has had plenty of smart, experienced folks around him.  At some point I remember him saying something about being able to start right away at Valpo.

He seems pretty firmly committed to Valpo. His family has been tweeting about and following the team this season. Also helps that Coach Dildy is family friends with Javon's family. But it is in the back of my head that another big time P5 will swoop in at the last minute but he definitely has a great support system around him and they know he definitely has the chance to be the guy here and be the focal point of our team. He's definitely going to be starting next year at the 2 guard.

IrishDawg

Right now I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.  Maybe later if he's performing at a very high level individually and Valpo isn't getting to where he wants to go as a team you'll see a Michigan State or similar team swoop in and try to get him away, but he's coming to Valpo next year, and the Crusaders should actually be better for the difficulties encountered this year with all the experience the young guys are getting.  Just an outsider's opinion.

valpo64

A couple of wins for us will help ease the tension we are experiencing.  Remember the saying, "patience is a virtue".

VU2014

Quote from: valpo64 on January 05, 2018, 10:35:49 AM
A couple of wins for us will help ease the tension we are experiencing.  Remember the saying, "patience is a virtue".

Ease tensions of everyone.