• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Valpo Basketball Advertising/Marketing

Started by VU2014, December 12, 2017, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VU2014

I was just listening to ESPN 1000 AM (Chicago Sports Radio Station) and just heard a Valpo Basketball radio ad. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. Nice to hear a little advertising for the team.

vufan75

Quote from: VU2014 on December 12, 2017, 11:02:35 AM
I was just listening to ESPN 1000 AM (Chicago Sports Radio Station) and just heard a Valpo Basketball radio ad. I almost fell out of my chair when I heard it. Nice to hear a little advertising for the team.
Whoa! Wonder if temporary due to Northwestern game this week or we've stepped up into Chicago market?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IrishDawg

I heard the plug as well.  Not sure if it's because Kaplan calls games for the MVC as part of his deal with NBC Sports or if they're genuinely advertising on ESPN 1000 (more than likely the latter).

Honestly, I don't know if those are dollars well spent given how much of a pro sports town Chicago is and that local schools like DePaul and Northwestern don't draw that well and also advertise on the station, but you don't make money unless you spend it.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on December 12, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
Honestly, I don't know if those are dollars well spent given how much of a pro sports town Chicago is and that local schools like DePaul and Northwestern don't draw that well and also advertise on the station, but you don't make money unless you spend it.

I was thinking the same thing. It may be more wise to specifically target NWI, but I'd imagine there are quite a few NWI sports fans that listen to Chicago Sports Talk radio. I have no clue of what the cost of running radio ads are. I'd probably go digital marketing so you could directly target NWI residents as potential customers via social media, but not everyone is on social media even these days or aren't frequent users of social media.

I still think the best advertising would be directly engaging the community by trying to get schools, churches, etc. involved and invested in their local collegiate basketball team. Also try and build fans while they're young. Also invest in the gameday experience by maybe investing in the band (make it a credit and get the support of the music department, although ever heard some mention the music department "sabotaged" the pep band & took away equipment), fixing the audio situation, play more modern music, put chair-backs around the lower bowl, & give the ARC a face lift.

But for now I'm just please to see some form of advertising for the team.

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on December 12, 2017, 04:04:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing. It may be more wise to specifically target NWI, but I'd imagine there are quite a few NWI sports fans that listen to Chicago Sports Talk radio. I have no clue of what the cost of running radio ads are. I'd probably go digital marketing so you could directly target NWI residents as potential customers via social media, but not everyone is on social media even these days or aren't frequent users of social media.

I still think the best advertising would be directly engaging the community by trying to get schools, churches, etc. involved and invested in their local collegiate basketball team. Also try and build fans while they're young. Also invest in the gameday experience by maybe investing in the band (make it a credit and get the support of the music department, although ever heard some mention the music department "sabotaged" the pep band & took away equipment), fixing the audio situation, play more modern music, put chair-backs around the lower bowl, & give the ARC a face lift.

But for now I'm just please to see some form of advertising for the team.

Do they not still do the billboard in Merrillville there by the Star Theater?  Feel like I remember seeing that for a few years.

The few times I've been to the ARC it's been a great atmosphere to watch a game when they get the right team in the building, but I think if they go chair backs around the lower bowl that'll likely take a chunk of the capacity out, which likely means higher ticket prices for everyone.  Not saying don't do it, because in this day in age, people are creatures of comfort.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact being in the MVC has on crowds.  For anyone who knows anything about CBB, the leagues aren't even close, but for the casual fan I wonder how much these schools will make a difference.

VU2014

Quote from: IrishDawg on December 12, 2017, 06:09:56 PM
Do they not still do the billboard in Merrillville there by the Star Theater?  Feel like I remember seeing that for a few years.

The few times I've been to the ARC it's been a great atmosphere to watch a game when they get the right team in the building, but I think if they go chair backs around the lower bowl that'll likely take a chunk of the capacity out, which likely means higher ticket prices for everyone.  Not saying don't do it, because in this day in age, people are creatures of comfort.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact being in the MVC has on crowds.  For anyone who knows anything about CBB, the leagues aren't even close, but for the casual fan I wonder how much these schools will make a difference.

I no longer live in the area so I'm not around the region enough to be able to tell you about the billboards but I remember having a billboard or two on either 294 or Route 30, maybe both.

The ARC is a great place to watch a game when you're sitting in your seat. Great environment and most importantly a great on-court product, but there is definitely room for improvement at the ARC that would probably go a long way to the casual fan. I think even casual fans will definitely appreciate the bump from the HL to the MVC. It's a just plain & simple a higher caliber league when it comes to basketball and there aren't the YSU's and Cleveland State's (post Norris Cole era) in the league. It's just such a deeper league with so many more interesting/successful programs. I'm really looking forward to seeing UNI come to the ARC. I think that's going to be Valpo's next big Conference rival.

I'm really looking forward to Conference play.

bbtds

The Milwaukee ticket office just called me to ask me if I wanted to buy any tickets for this year.

Haha!

Talk about desperation!

VU2014

The media team could make a fun and simple video similar to this for Valpo Basketball. Love when sports teams implement humor in their marketing.

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1019975571726405633

vu72

Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

valpopal

Quote from: vu72 on July 23, 2018, 11:05:03 AM
I guess the Valpo Administration is listening to us.  Seems like a big step forward!  :clap: :clap:

http://valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2018-19/18312/valpo-athletics-and-van-wagner-sports--entertainment-announce-multimedia-rights-partnership/

This is the kind of move we've been requesting. I look forward to seeing what steps result. A list of other clients served by this company: http://www.vanwagner.com/clients

NativeCheesehead

This appears to be a great move. But I think passing judgement, either positive or negative without knowing much about the company and what they've done.

Are they a "Let's assess everything and see what works and what needs to be improved" company?

Are they a "tear it all down and build it back in our image" company?

Which would be better for Valpo? Do they have authority to hire and fire TV/Radio announcers? Who do they report to, what oversight do they have?

I say only half in jest: If they get rid of that ridiculous bounce the ball into the bucket promotion we see EVERY game, I'm all in on them.

VUGrad1314

Clearly the administration and athletic department are showing real signs of commitment to growth and excellence. I commend these efforts and hope they continue. Now it's up to us to reward that effort by showing up to events and donating so that they can keep it going. Let's work together to ensure that the AC project (and maybe even the PA system upgrade) can commence next offseason! Go Valpo!

VUGrad1314

One question I have is how if at all will this work with the marketing initiatives put in place already by the MVC? Will there be any conflict or is this like how some programs have their games broadcast on local ESPN Radio affiliates? Might this lead to even more TV exposure or exposure through other channels?

IrishDawg

Quote from: VUGrad1314 on July 23, 2018, 12:41:59 PM
One question I have is how if at all will this work with the marketing initiatives put in place already by the MVC? Will there be any conflict or is this like how some programs have their games broadcast on local ESPN Radio affiliates? Might this lead to even more TV exposure or exposure through other channels?

The league controls the conference matchups.  Really the only additional games that may be on TV or webcast will be the non-conference home games if they aren't already being broadcast on a network.  My guess is they'll be less involved in direct media outside of possibly which radio station broadcasts Valpo games, but they would likely be heavily involved in securing sponsorships, signages around games, hospitality events, that kind of thing.

bigmosmithfan1

They should also be involved in selling ads for said local radio broadcasts.

VU2014

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on September 07, 2018, 11:17:46 AM
Sounds like a pretty good deal and not a bad promotion at the Popcorn festival.

[tweet]1038079361382006784[/tweet]

The shirt looks like a nice purchase, and I believe it is made by a local company, which I'd like to support since it is good for community relations and I won't buy Nike wear.

valpolaw

Who in the world is in charge of the apparel that gets sold through the bookstore? They need to rethink their approach. The apparel on the website for the most part looks like it's from the 1980s and is generally ugly. I always see the team wearing different and unique Valpo gear but that same gear is never sold on the website unless I'm missing it somewhere. I will never understand that. It's 2018.....we should be able to sell nice looking apparel so people can wear it out and about to get the university more exposure.

VU2014

Quote from: valpolaw on October 15, 2018, 09:51:55 PM
Who in the world is in charge of the apparel that gets sold through the bookstore? They need to rethink their approach. The apparel on the website for the most part looks like it's from the 1980s and is generally ugly. I always see the team wearing different and unique Valpo gear but that same gear is never sold on the website unless I'm missing it somewhere. I will never understand that. It's 2018.....we should be able to sell nice looking apparel so people can wear it out and about to get the university more exposure.

https://www.bsnteamsports.com/v3/shop/team_shop/VUMBB1819#/

https://twitter.com/ValpoBasketball/status/1050428509557051392

valpopal

Quote from: VU2014 on October 15, 2018, 10:29:14 PM

[tweet]1050428509557051392[/tweet]

Unfortunately, I don't buy Nike apparel.

NativeCheesehead

No worries. I'll buy enough for both of us.

valpolaw

Thanks for sharing that link. I don't understand why the apparel in that link isn't on sale year round at the bookstore instead of just for a limited time special sale through some website. I always see the team wearing unique Valpo T-shirts also and those are never on sale at the bookstore. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me.

valpolaw

Also, I ordered a polo shirt through that website last year when they had the sale. The polo arrived and was slightly too big so I contacted them to see if I could exchange for the smaller size. I was told it is all custom made and they don't do any such exchanges but I could buy another one at the other size. Another reason this stuff should be in the bookstore.

vu72

Quote from: valpopal on October 15, 2018, 11:04:30 PM
Quote from: VU2014 on October 15, 2018, 10:29:14 PM

[tweet]1050428509557051392[/tweet]

Unfortunately, I don't buy Nike apparel.

Go to valpogear.com where you can purchase items from both Adidas and Columbia. Also, the shirt I bought at the union at Homecoming was made by Cutter and Buck
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015