• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Game #14 - MVC Run Starts @ Indiana State December 28 6pm NBCSports Chicago

Started by talksalot, December 21, 2017, 08:58:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hailcrusaders

Is ESPN3 not an option this evening since local networks picked it up? I'm not in market
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

Quote from: hailcrusaders on December 28, 2017, 03:07:58 PM
Is ESPN3 not an option this evening since local networks picked it up? I'm not in market

It looks like it's going to be broadcast on ESPN3 if you're out of market but if you're watching from IL, IN, IA, or MO you'll have to watch on NBC Sports Chicago; FOX Sports Midwest/Indiana/Kansas City (Cable).

https://twitter.com/valpoathletics/status/946487886106546182

IrishDawg

Quote from: VU2014 on December 28, 2017, 02:18:13 PM
I'm seeing a lot of betting lines with Valpo as a +1 or +1.5

Another game that I have no clue on how it will turn out. A lot of question marks in this game. I want Valpo to pull off the W but I really hope we don't get embarrassed in our first ever Valley Conference game.

Really other than the Northwestern and Purdue games, Valpo's done fine on the road.

Tonight is really going to be about who can score on who, as both offenses are bad, but Valpo's defense is significantly better than Indiana State's.  As long as Indiana State doesn't get comfortable from the perimeter, Valpo should be in decent shape.  On offense, Valpo should be able to exploit Indiana State's propensity to foul.

valpotx

Since Tevonn is back, I am amending my prediction to a W:

Valpo 71
Indiana State 66
"Don't mess with Texas"

VU2014

https://twitter.com/NWIOren/status/946417396046286849

Crusaders set to begin Valley play
Paul Oren Times Correspondent 11 hrs ago

Valparaiso begins its first season in the Missouri Valley Conference tonight with more questions than answers.

Will Tevonn Walker be able to return to full strength after missing four games due to mono? Has Joe Burton played his last basketball game in a Valparaiso uniform, and if so, who replaces his production? Did any of the Crusaders find a few more made 3-pointers and a few less turnovers under the Christmas tree earlier this week?

The Crusaders will take their first step toward answering those questions when Valley begins tonight at Indiana State in the first of 18 conference games that will culminate with Arch Madness in St. Louis in just over two months.

.......... http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/valparaiso-university/nwiu-notes-crusaders-set-to-begin-valley-play/article_92e5973c-f859-588c-8bff-c3ba4ec49b70.html

ISU seeks cure to consistency issues as conference play begins
Valparaiso visits in its first MVC contest
By Todd Aaron Golden Tribune-Star  Dec 27, 2017

Indiana State's second season is about to begin in men's basketball — the Missouri Valley Conference campaign kicks off with a 7 p.m. home game against MVC newcomers Valparaiso tonight.

The Sycamores are hoping to write a different chapter than they did in their first part of the season where inconsistency on both ends of the floor led ISU to 5-7 nonconference record, including just three wins against Division I competition.

ISU would display its inconsistency often in the course of the same game. That was evident in ISU's last game against Elon last Friday. ISU fell behind by 17, rallied to take a three-point lead in the second half, only to fall 73-68 when its defense — which helped it get back in the game in the first place — completely fell apart.

"I feel like everybody's ready for a fresh start. We've had a couple good days of practice. It's a chance for everybody to get on the same page," ISU swingman Qiydar Davis said. "Communication is our biggest thing and it's what we've been focused on in practice."

............ http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_college_sports/isu_sports/isu-seeks-cure-to-consistency-issues-as-conference-play-begins/article_72020ff3-8648-5579-a11e-e807bd831283.html

NativeCheesehead

Let's talk strategy. Specifically what we need to change from last game. And be we I mean us fans.

I think I'm going to start drinking before tip off, that way if this game starts off like the last one, I'll care a lot less, most likely cracking jokes about Lottichs Sexiest Mid Major Coaches award. Problem with last game was that by the time we realized it was going to be "one of those games", it was too late to start drinking and expect to get any kind of restful sleep.

So that's the game plan. Let's do our dry campus proud! Beer on 3!
1...2...3.....Beer!

(Full disclosure: I may have started already.)

a3uge

Hazen starting because why not start incredibly slow on offense again?

VU2014

Quote from: a3uge on December 28, 2017, 06:10:48 PM

My guess is they want a little more size out there. Kiser really isn't a PF.

a3uge

Quote from: VU2014 on December 28, 2017, 06:13:18 PM
Quote from: a3uge on December 28, 2017, 06:10:48 PM

My guess is they want a little more size out there. Kiser really isn't a PF.
It didn't work, again. Groundhog's day with him. I'll sacrifice some size for someone who isn't a massive black hole on offense.

NativeCheesehead

I am SO tired of Smits complaining after EVERY single flipping call.

VU2014

The offense is off to another rough start... ISU is up 7-2. ISU's defense forced VU's first 2 possessions into terrible shots at the end of the shot clock. But ISU's defense is intense

This team clearly misses any sort of deadeye shooting threat from 3.

a3uge

The reffing doesn't seem any better in the MVC than the Horizon. The call on Smits and then the charge on golder were horrific calls.

valpopal

Quote from: NativeCheesehead on December 28, 2017, 06:19:38 PM
I am SO tired of Smits complaining after EVERY single flipping call.

He had good reason to complain on those first two!

VU2014

valpolaw

Ugly so far. Way too many turnovers still. This could get very ugly.

Can someone tell Bradford not to toss up 3s five ft behind the 3 point line.

IrishDawg

With the head of officiating there tonight, expect a brutally tight game.  He was at the Butler-Princeton game earlier in the year, and combined the teams shot 45 free throws, and the game took at least an extra 1/2 hour.

VU2014

This Valpo offense is completely inept at times.  >:(

Stop dribbling and standing around!!! Get some movement going!!! Good Lord. This team doesn't have a stellar iso player like last year with Peters, where you can pull that crap. It doesn't even have a Shane Hammink type player that can be relied upon at times. Tevonn is coming off mono and doesn't look fresh.

NativeCheesehead

A team playing as poorly as we have doesn't have any right to complain about officiating.

mvandersee

Just Sayin

Bringing Valpo basketball to a new low. This team sucks. Embarrassing.

NativeCheesehead

In all seriousness though, every game this continues it is less on the players and more on the coaching staff. We set almost no screens on offense. When you are being guarded 35 feet from the basket you have to set screens to free up the guards.

oklahomamick

Half court offense for valpo is absent to say the least. 

That's on coach
CRUSADERS!!!

hailcrusaders

This is looking like the debacle against Milwaukee last year in the HLT
#CrusadersForever

VU2014

Quote from: mvandersee on December 28, 2017, 06:31:01 PM
Any movement off of the ball would be greatly appreciated >:(

Seriously. What have the guys been practicing since the UC Riverside game 8-9 days ago?

I get this isn't the most offensively gift team on earth (especially without Joe & a not 100% Tevonn) but seriously the least they could do is get offensive movement going. At least do some high ball screens or something.