• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

At Bradley Jan 3 7:00 PM CST Wardle we do now?

Started by justducky, December 31, 2017, 09:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crusader05

I feel like this would be a bigger concern if we were seeing the staff consistently taking in low academic achieving students and losing them.

yes we've had two issues in the last year but as I seem to recall the biggest frustration with Jubril was not that he was a struggling academic student but that he was a good student who, along with Skara, made a bad decision to take the easy way out in one class.

It also sounds like, from what I've heard, that the staff did put in considerable time and effort in his red shirt season with Joe but at some point some of it is on the kid. It's sad and frustrating, but college is hard, some people can do it, some can't. And the reason they can't can vary from laziness, to life skills, to drive, to natural ability. The coaching staff can make up for so much but they can't take the tests for them or funnel them into fake classes (or at least, they shouldn't).

I feel like there is a lot of assuming going on that this could have been prevented easily vs just being a sad situation all around.

FieldGoodie05

Quote from: crusader05 on January 08, 2018, 04:06:28 PM
I feel like this would be a bigger concern if we were seeing the staff consistently taking in low academic achieving students and losing them.

This remains my opinion too. 

And I aggressively dislike the word "systemic" for no rational reason other than its recent overuse!!!

bbtds

Quote from: FieldGoodie05 on January 08, 2018, 05:16:33 PM
Quote from: crusader05 on January 08, 2018, 04:06:28 PM

This remains my opinion too. 

And I aggressively dislike the word "systemic" for no rational reason other than its recent overuse!!!

So you are saying the overuse of the word "systemic" has become a systemic problem throughout the general public's vocabularic system in the recent past?  ;)

In case you're wondering
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/vocabularic