• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

Southern Illinois 3pm Saturday January 6th

Started by M, January 03, 2018, 10:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just Sayin

wh

Finished the half on a 23-2 run!

Conscious effort to feed the post and play inside-out. Derrik and J with a combined 15 points. Getting some good looks from 3 as a result. Looks like a winning formula.

Just Sayin

Looks like the whole team celebrated their 20th birthday yesterday.

a3uge

Super promising game with Tevonn playing poorly; Bradford looks like he can run the point with Bakari playing more of a SG role. The bigs have played great offensively. Golder is showing a great touch.

FieldGoodie05

Pippen vs Smits reminds me of 90s basketball

crusadermoe

Much needed solid game today.   The bigs are stepping up.  Good to see shots going down for Golder too!   Hopefully this breaks the ice on shooting. 

I like Bradford passing except when he drives too far into the lane without a plan.  He has done that twice in the last two minutes.   He just is still not stong enough to go in and draw a foul in those situations if a play closes down.

Smits is showing some good moves. And it was nice to see Sorolla actually trying to score.  They both still let so many rebounds hit the ground and get slow starts to the ball.  But baby steps I guess. 

VULB#62

Quote from: a3uge on January 06, 2018, 04:38:57 PM
Super promising game with Tevonn playing poorly; Bradford looks like he can run the point with Bakari playing more of a SG role. The bigs have played great offensively. Golder is showing a great touch.

That might not be a bad idea.  Flow seems better with that set up.

Marcus does some incredibly athletic stuff (that block on the SIU break, getting an ORB and, while falling, bouncing it off an SIU defender out of bounds).   And when he is in the game he seems to have the highest intensity level as well.  He smiles a lot too, which to me means he thoroughly loves the game.

Good weekend for both MBB and WBB in the MVC.

nkvu

Long time coming but other than the first 10 minutes, a very nice performance all around. Team picked up Tevon and the bigs played their best game so far. Nice to see.

VULB#62

Quote from: nkvu on January 06, 2018, 05:02:57 PM
Long time coming but other than the first 10 minutes, a very nice performance all around. Team picked up Tevon and the bigs played their best game so far. Nice to see.

I saw a concerted effort by both Smitts and Jay to box out.  Neither was a monster going for the ball, but at least they are establishing DRB territory. Would love to see these guys each put on 15-20 lbs. of muscle by next season. Marty too (Check that -- uh, convert baby fat into 15-20 lbs of muscle). 

vu72

I am shocked by the coaching!  Who among us would have said that Micah should have been the primary ball handler and that We win easily with Tevonn get 2 points?  28 points from the 5?  23 assts?  Fantastic 3 point shooting?  A marvelous game all around.  Well coached to be sure.   :clap:
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

a3uge

Quote from: nkvu on January 06, 2018, 05:02:57 PM
We're 3-1 in the MVC and 14-3 overall if you discount the first quarter of each game :/. Lottich has yet to find a starting lineup that really produces. I hope he tries Bradford, Bakari, Tevonn, Golder, and Sorrola at some point. That small ball lineup was really rolling.

VULB#62

Quote from: vu72 on January 06, 2018, 05:11:39 PM
I am shocked by the coaching!  Who among us would have said that Micah should have been the primary ball handler and that We win easily with Tevonn get 2 points?  28 points from the 5?  23 assts?  Fantastic 3 point shooting?  A marvelous game all around.  Well coached to be sure.   :clap:

Ya know, Tevonn never gives way to emotion.  He just plays his game.  I don't think his points matter to him as long as he knows he contributes.  Despite a 1-10 FG day he still had a team-leading 8 RBs. Puzzling thing is that he had zero FTs.  Good thing was that he only played 27 minutes and that is good considering the chance for a mono relapse. 

valpolaw

Hazen didn't touch the floor again.

Hopefully Kiser will be back in action soon. 

NativeCheesehead

For the record, I'm going to be insulting Smits before every game from now on.  ;D

a3uge

Quote from: valpolaw on January 06, 2018, 05:22:46 PM
Hazen didn't touch the floor again.

Hopefully Kiser will be back in action soon.
He was in at the end of the first half. He sort of had a rebound where he tipped it to Bakari. But yes, he didn't even get garbage time minutes, which was surprising.

FieldGoodie05

That game felt like a good fart.  Clearing room for more!!!

VULB#62

Gotta wonder about Matt pushing Parker into a starting role early on as a freshman.  From a confidence building perspective using 20/20 hindsight, this set of circumstances could crush a young ego. Hope it doesn't.

valporun

Is it possible that Parker isn't a 4, but due to the number of SFs we have, he can't play his natural position?

justducky

Quote from: valporun on January 06, 2018, 05:38:17 PMIs it possible that Parker isn't a 4, but due to the number of SFs we have, he can't play his natural position?
By definition a SF must be able to shoot, but if he develops that stroke he looks to me more like a small 5 with Adekoya type skills.

valpopal

Amazing what can happen when the big men show up—28 points & 10 rebounds (with only 3 fouls!)— and the shooting improves: 3-pointers 56%, free throws 76%. Only negatives: Walker an unbelievable 1-10 (though he still led with 8 rebounds), and the turnovers still too high at 16, although they were countered somewhat by the high number of assists: 22 (led by Bradford's 6). Matt mentioned during the halftime interview that things changed after the poor start when he told the team to stop being "tentative." I think that has been the consistent message on this board as well. Let's see if this can be repeated against Drake, a tougher test than Southern Illinois.

a3uge

Quote from: VULB#62 on January 06, 2018, 05:31:24 PM
Gotta wonder about Matt pushing Parker into a starting role early on as a freshman.  From a confidence building perspective using 20/20 hindsight, this set of circumstances could crush a young ego. Hope it doesn't.
Bradford was horrible last year, and doesn't seem too lack confidence. A year makes a big difference. Plenty of players like Vashil, Joseph, Michael Rogers, and Matt Kenny had poor freshman seasons but turned into contributors

Quote from: valporun on January 06, 2018, 05:38:17 PM
Is it possible that Parker isn't a 4, but due to the number of SFs we have, he can't play his natural position?
A SF should still be able to shoot well. Besides, it's college basketball... Positions 1-4 are rather exchangeable. Mileek and Parker are true 4s and didn't get much time. Valpo and SIU were both rolling 4 guard lineups.

talksalot

FIVE guys in double figures... and none of them named "Walker"...Nope.  I would have lost that bet.   Nice to see Mrs. Walker and Mrs. Joseph making the LOOOONG trip from Montreal for the game.   Personal Bests for Max and Jaume. 

Nice pre-game plaque for Dick Blythe (Think patriarch of Blythe's Sporting Goods)... 1956 Graduate of SIU... co-captain of the saluki's that last year.  Class act!

M

Credit to the poster who started the game thread. 💪

VUGrad1314

FANTASTIC  showing by our boys today! That last 30 minutes was the best stretch of basketball we've seen in a long time. The bigs had a great opportunity with SIU's big shotblocking presence out and both Smits and Sorolla took full advantage. They showed better touch around the rim than I've seen from them in a long time. The inside game was allowed to set up the outside game to tremendous results. It rained 3's at the ARC today.Defense was strong and we WON THE REBOUNDING BATTLE LIMITED SECOND CHANCES SHARED THE BASKETBALL  and MADE FREE THROWS. What a difference these simple things made. Almost looked like a different team just by doing the little things well. This team HAS TALENT It's just been a matter of execution. I think this game may have shown that we've turned the corner and can expect better results ahead.The balance of VU's scoring was great to see as well. On to  Reed Timmer and the undefeated Drake Bulldogs. We belong . We can compete in this league. We are good. Go Valpo!

talksalot

Quote from: M on January 06, 2018, 05:54:24 PMCredit to the poster who started the game thread. 💪

could not agree more!   Time to fire up the Drake one  (ESPN3 7pm on the 10th)  Drake is 4-0 in play after eeeeeking out the win today.               

Report to moderator 

Unlike

(You liked this)