• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

2013-2014 Season

Started by classof2014, May 16, 2013, 11:46:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

Is he staying at Valpo to graduate, or does it not say?
"Don't mess with Texas"

Smj

Hope he stays at valpo as part of the team in some way...

valpopal

Despite the loss of so many experienced players, Dority offers that he informed the new players the team goal is to repeat as champions:

Inside Valpo Athletics: LaVonte Dority 8|1|13

valpopal

Since it is now August, I was looking closely at the academic calendar to plan ahead and noticed a change that could influence timing in the basketball schedule. Classes for the fall semester begin a week later this year on Aug. 27. Last year they began Aug. 21. As a result, the last final exam does not occur until Dec. 20. Last year the last final exam was Dec. 14. and Dority played that night if I remember correctly. This means Carter won't be eligible to play until the night of the 20th.

Valpo never schedules games during final exam week, but the extra week of fall semester could lead to Carter missing an additional game or two, depending upon the schedule of December games. By the way, this also means the students' winter break will be one week shorter this year. Last year it was Dec. 14-Jan. 9; this year, Dec. 20-Jan. 8.

chef

Pal is correct that Carter will miss more games than Dority. One reason is without the bracketbuster, teams will play an extra non-conference game early in the year as opposed to late in the year. Dority missed the first 9 games last season. Although the schedule is not official yet, it's likely Carter will have to sit out either 11 or 12 games to start this season.

valpotx

Why do they have one less week for winter break?  Added somewhere else?
"Don't mess with Texas"

valpopal

Quote from: valpotx on August 04, 2013, 01:36:40 AM
Why do they have one less week for winter break?  Added somewhere else?

Fall semester starts a week later and ends a week later than in the past, while spring semester starts the same time.

swiftmutiny

wh

This is the first time anywhere I have seen Yeo listed at 6-4. 

classof2014

Pretty confident that we'll have the biggest player in the HL next season.

Moussa Gueye 7' 270 lbs. He's gonna be a monster. Has almost 50 lbs on Alec Brown who is of the same height.

oklahomamick

Besides the 1945 team, is this our tallest team?
CRUSADERS!!!

valpotx

I have to think that our 2001-2002 or 2002-2003 teams were the tallest.  The 1945 team was not necessarily our tallest, as they were only known as such due to the time period not having as many tall people on teams.
"Don't mess with Texas"

chef

I think this year's team might even be a little bigger....those teams has Antti 6'11, Raitis 6'10, Wille 6'9 and Kikas 6'8. This year - Moussa 7'0, Bobby and Vashil 6'10, Chadwick 6'9, Peters 6'8.

cornonthe

Quote from: valpotx on August 08, 2013, 03:22:42 PM
I have to think that our 2001-2002 or 2002-2003 teams were the tallest.  The 1945 team was not necessarily our tallest, as they were only known as such due to the time period not having as many tall people on teams.

I believe that there were 8 guys that were 6'8" or taller on that 1945 team...

wh

Quote from: cornonthe on August 10, 2013, 10:27:56 PM

I believe that there were 8 guys that were 6'8" or taller on that 1945 team...

Setshot should be able to verify this.  I remember he once said that when he was growing up he saw the 1945 team play at Madison Square Garden.

historyman

Quote from: cornonthe on August 10, 2013, 10:27:56 PMI believe that there were 8 guys that were 6'8" or taller on that 1945 team...
Actually there was a 6'10" center, two players at 6'8" and the rest were 6'5" or under. 6'5" was probably the average height for a center in that era. There was a Texas team, can't remember their name off the top of my head, that disputed the claim that Valpo was taller than their team.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

wh

Quote from: chef on August 08, 2013, 10:19:37 PM
I think this year's team might even be a little bigger....those teams has Antti 6'11, Raitis 6'10, Wille 6'9 and Kikas 6'8. This year - Moussa 7'0, Bobby and Vashil 6'10, Chadwick 6'9, Peters 6'8.

Given a recent NCAA rule change, I think our team height will be an especially big advantage this year. 

Under the revised block/charge call in men's basketball, a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass. If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul.

This rule is intended to "open up" the game and raise scoring, which has suffered a steady decline in recent years.  In essence, instead of defensive players moving over to take a charge, they are going to have to try to tip or block a shot once it goes up.  Thus, the advantage goes to teams with more shot blocking ability.  On the other end, once a speedy, clever ball handler like Keith Carter beats his man on a dribble drive to the hoop, he should have a field day against the softer non-shot blocking "bigs" in the Horizon League.  Athletic bigs are going to be a premium.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2013-06-24/ncaa-playing-rules-oversight-panel-approves-changes-foul-call

valpotx

Good!  I always hated the charge rule where you can be in the air, and someone just slides on over to take the charge mid-flight.
"Don't mess with Texas"

wh

Quote from: valpotx on August 12, 2013, 05:38:54 PM
Good!  I always hated the charge rule where you can be in the air, and someone just slides on over to take the charge mid-flight.

Actually, under the new rule the defensive player has to be in position before the offensive player has started his upward motion with the ball.  "Upward motion" includes the step the offensive player is allowed to take before he leaves his feet.  This should all but eliminate charging fouls around the basket when the offensive player begins to go up for a layup or kicks out for a 3-pt shot.  Coaches are going to have to completely re-teach this aspect of team defense. 

By the way, I share your dislike for all the sliding.  I especially dislike seeing some 6-9 guy slide over to take a charge against a 6 foot guard and then collapse upon contact.  It's such a "women's game" thing to do.  Man up and try to block the shot or get out of the way.   

justducky

Quote from: wh on August 12, 2013, 06:55:16 PMActually, under the new rule the defensive player has to be in position before the offensive player has started his upward motion with the ball.  "Upward motion" includes the step the offensive player is allowed to take before he leaves his feet.  This should all but eliminate charging fouls around the basket when the offensive player begins to go up for a layup or kicks out for a 3-pt shot.  Coaches are going to have to completely re-teach this aspect of team defense.  By the way, I share your dislike for all the sliding.  I especially dislike seeing some 6-9 guy slide over to take a charge against a 6 foot guard and then collapse upon contact.  It's such a "women's game" thing to do.  Man up and try to block the shot or get out of the way. 

I am willing to reserve judgment but since this rule would seem to favor the bigger and quicker team over the smaller and slower one, then it may have been promoted by the upper major teams towards further distancing themselves from the lower majors and all of the mid majors. I would expect to see a little to a lot more zone next year along with an even greater reliance on the 3 point shot. I do not see in any way where this will help level the playing field.                     

valpopal

valpopal

On the Horizon League Fans Forum there is a report that Sporting News has its Horizon League predictions out:

1. Wright St.
2. Cleveland St.
3. Youngstown St.
4. Green Bay
5. Valpo
6. Oakland
7. UIC
8. Detroit
9. Milwaukee

I think Green Bay and Oakland could be higher than predicted. As for Valpo, I believe there are so many unknowns that the fifth-place middle position seems safest to predict for a team that is one big question mark.

However, it will be fun to observe the team this season with no expectations and no pressure on them, and I'm optimistically hoping for a surprising performance by the new players in what is truly a rebuilding (or restocking) year.

vu72

By the time we start conference play there will be nobody as good as Valpo.  We always seem to discount new guys saying..."they haven't played in a long time and weren't any good then... or " these guys need time to play together and..." or some such  concern.

These comments discount the coaching staff. 

We have as much talent and experience as anyone...fifth year senior Capobianco, Fifth year senior in Moussa Gueye, fifth year senior Lavonte Dority, guys with maturity like Coleman and Chadwick not to mention our best recruiting class in years.

I'm not worried in the least and things like this poll will only motivate.
Season Results: CBI/CIT: 2008, 2011, 2014  NIT: 2003,2012, 2016(Championship Game) 2017   NCAA: 1962,1966,1967,1969,1973,1996,1997,1998 (Sweet Sixteen),1999, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2013 and 2015

classof2014

I do think that we will finish much higher than 5th. I understand not giving us the number one slot, but with the experience coming back I do believe we will once again be among the top 3 in the HL when all is said and done.