• Welcome to The Valparaiso Beacons Fan Zone Forum.

HL Season Awards

Started by valpopal, March 03, 2014, 12:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valpotx

If you shoot 6/18...I would say that you were stopped pretty well, if not for his FTs against us
"Don't mess with Texas"

historyman

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 09, 2014, 02:47:37 PMI have no opinion on where he should have been ranked in conference. Between Valpo and Green Bay this weekend, NOBODY has been able to stop him.  He has been able to do what he wanted.  If he's cold, then yeah, he's Mike Helms.  But he has been anything but.  He took over the game whenever they needed to.  I think I saw Jeter last night in the 2nd half several times point to him as if to say, "GIVE HIM THE BALL AND LET HIM OPERATE NOW!"  Green Bay threw everything but the kitchen sink at him, to no avail.
I don't think LaPorte will ever admit that Jordan Aaron despite his poor shooting in "some" games has been a good player for the Panthers and had an integral part in Milwaukee's run to the HL championship game. If only Valpo had had a player step up when it counted like Jordan Aaron has then it would be Valpo playing at the Nutter Center on Tuesday.
"We must stand aside from the world's conspiracy of fear and hate and grasp once more the great monosyllables of life: faith, hope, and love. Men must live by these if they live at all under the crushing weight of history." Otto Paul "John" Kretzmann

LaPorteAveApostle

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 09, 2014, 02:47:37 PMIf he's cold, then yeah, he's Mike Helms. 
Thanks for that.  Almost drew a literal LOL.

I would simply be willing to bet that a very high percentage of the HL could score 20 points if you gave them 20 shot equivalents.  He has been better in the tournament--he certainly does have something to prove--but he's not efficient.  There are, what, 117 scholarship players in the HL (13*9) and he's in the top ten? Even against GB, that was 28 points on 19 shots, or 22 shot equivalents.  First time in a month (also against GB though) that he was significantly better than 1 PPS.

Thinking of LBJ veiling criticism of Durant for taking 34 shots to score 40 points or whatever, earlier this year.  Not a big LeBron fan, but he certainly doesn't need more than his fair share to score.

It's not a fair comparison to an HLPOY, to be sure, but Rowdy (and KVW) were much closer to 2 PPS than 1.  If you give enough monkeys enough typewriters...
"It is so easy to be proud, harsh, moody and selfish, but we have been created for greater things; why stoop down to things that will spoil the beauty of our hearts?" Bl. Mother Teresa

a3uge

Fun Fact: Jordan Aaron in the HL tourney so far...

20-53 (.377) FG, 7-23 (.304) 3Pt, 2.7 RBpg, 3.7 APG, 2.3 TOPG, 21.3 PPG

Dixon...
12-18 (.667) FG, 4-6 (.667) 3Pt, 5 RBpg, 3.5 APG, 2.0 TOPG, 18.5 PPG

I think everyone is over exaggerating because of the late game heroics against GB... He has good games and bad games. He is what he is. Someone like Miles Dixon has had a better tourney, but is overlooked because he's not shooting 300 times a game. If you watched the GB and Valpo games, Aaron wasted a some possessions from shooting low percentage shots from well behind the arc, which was baffling since he had a lot of success driving inside. He'll make those every once in awhile, but like Cory Johnson shooting a 3, it encourages him to do it more. Again, he's the Marshall Henderson of the Horizon, with a slightly better attitude. He's not a bad player, but I don't believe he's top 5 in conference after watching 1 game.

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on March 10, 2014, 04:52:47 PMI think everyone is over exaggerating because of the late game heroics against GB... He has good games and bad games. He is what he is. Someone like Miles Dixon has had a better tourney, but is overlooked because he's not shooting 300 times a game. If you watched the GB and Valpo games, Aaron wasted a some possessions from shooting low percentage shots from well behind the arc, which was baffling since he had a lot of success driving inside. He'll make those every once in awhile, but like Cory Johnson shooting a 3, it encourages him to do it more. Again, he's the Marshall Henderson of the Horizon, with a slightly better attitude. He's not a bad player, but I don't believe he's top 5 in conference after watching 1 game.

I never ranked him.  Nor did I assess his season as a whole.  I didn't even assert that every long shot he took went in.

Let me put it this way: the only one capable of stopping Jordan Aaron was Jordan Aaron.  GB had absolutely nothing.  Neither did Valpo.  And he was always capable of scoring no matter what either of those teams did.  He was the weapon no one had an answer for.

a3uge

Quote from: StlVUFan on March 10, 2014, 05:09:17 PM
Quote from: a3uge on March 10, 2014, 04:52:47 PMI think everyone is over exaggerating because of the late game heroics against GB... He has good games and bad games. He is what he is. Someone like Miles Dixon has had a better tourney, but is overlooked because he's not shooting 300 times a game. If you watched the GB and Valpo games, Aaron wasted a some possessions from shooting low percentage shots from well behind the arc, which was baffling since he had a lot of success driving inside. He'll make those every once in awhile, but like Cory Johnson shooting a 3, it encourages him to do it more. Again, he's the Marshall Henderson of the Horizon, with a slightly better attitude. He's not a bad player, but I don't believe he's top 5 in conference after watching 1 game.

I never ranked him.  Nor did I assess his season as a whole.  I didn't even assert that every long shot he took went in.

Let me put it this way: the only one capable of stopping Jordan Aaron was Jordan Aaron.  GB had absolutely nothing.  Neither did Valpo.  And he was always capable of scoring no matter what either of those teams did.  He was the weapon no one had an answer for.

That wasn't directed at you, moreso a straw man. I don't think he was the difference in the Valpo game, as rebounding and bad offense absolutely killed the Crusaders. I found it amazing that Valpo was even in the game after playing so poor offensively. I thought Tiby had the more dominant game and Aaron took some poor shots in the 2nd half (he ended 6-18). Green Bay was a much different story as they were unable to stop him at all at the end.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

StlVUFan

Quote from: a3uge on March 10, 2014, 05:16:50 PMI don't think he was the difference in the Valpo game, as rebounding and bad offense absolutely killed the Crusaders.

Point taken there.

VULB#62

Gotta agree.  Being there, Tiby was my focus throughout the game. He cut his freakin' hair before the game and was all over the court (shouldn't it have been just the opposite?)

Tiby was asserting himself in many ways both within and outside the rules.  He's only a soph, but he's gonna be a player to contend with in the next two years. And he seems to have a mean streak -- which some of our players need to, in a Christian way of course,  develop (IMO).

Pathfinder

If the NBA joins the American League to allow a designated free throw shooter, then Bader is set for life.

classof2014

Bobby was our version of Tiby, just that he wasn't as good and couldn't keep the intensity up for a 40 minute game.